The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Are the screening responses a good sign for MOS?
Yes. 46 73.02%
No. 2 3.17%
I don't think they mean much. 15 23.81%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 3

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 3

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
TheBat812
Side-Kick
 
TheBat812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,080
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Apparently it wasn't that unsubtle, because there are a LOT of people not figuring out some of the simpler elements of it, even though they were clearly communicated during the film.

Kind of humourous, kind of annoying.
Lmao, such irony that now you know how many of us feel about some of the criticisms of TdKR....

Having said that, I totally agree with you in regards to this film. Multiple viewings will likely clear up many of the more logistical flaws of this film. It's still hardly perfect, but there are so many great ideas within. It's too bad Snyder has no understanding of subtlety, lol.

__________________
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle
TheBat812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Double B
Side-Kick
 
Double B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,155
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

I FINALLY SAW IT.

*takes a deep breath*

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,423
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
I FINALLY SAW IT.

*takes a deep breath*
And coughs.



__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Double B
Side-Kick
 
Double B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,155
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
And coughs.




For Henry? Anything.

I'm trying to collect myself to post a proper review. At the minute, in brief - all the ingredients for something truly amazing but fell a bit short.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,423
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post


For Henry? Anything.

I'm trying to collect myself to post a proper review. At the minute, in brief - all the ingredients for something truly amazing but fell a bit short.
Basically how I felt...lots of potential, but ultimately underdelivered/-executed.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 26,100
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Also the part about Johathan's death, I agree. I see what they were going for but the moments leading up to that crucial plot point are based on flimsy logic. Why couldn't Clark just get the dog? Even without powers he was faster than his dad. Clark is just standing their for much of the scene, his dad is delaying, why not go to him then. He hasn't been waved off, his death isn't unavoidable, and clark wouldn't have had to reveal anything. So why not run over there while there was still time? The distance didn't even seem that far. The scene just ignores basic logic.
The easy answer is "Clark is still a young man". Young people don't always know exactly what to do in a given situation,

Here's the thing about that scene. I don't think Jonathan's first line, "Get your mother to safety" is an accident. Jonathan wants Clark and Ma to get to safety. Like its his instinct to rescue the dog, it's just the man's instinct to avoid putting people in harm's way, even his (for all they know) indestructible son. And we don't actually know the level of Clark's indestructibility at that point, so it's arguable that Jonathan could well think the tornado might kill Clark, who, as we see, Jonathan considers pretty darn important.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Double B
Side-Kick
 
Double B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,155
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Basically how I felt...lots of potential, but ultimately underdelivered/-executed.
Pretty much.

First of all - casting. Top notch. Really, really superb all round. Cavill just is Superman through and through. Adams gave a great turn as Lois, who wasn't wet like in Superman Returns, nor did she verge on annoying as Lois incarnations are sometimes apt to do. Loved Michael Shannon. Whoever played Faora was a real scene-stealer. Laureance Fishburne was also great, if underused. Everyone brought their A-game but I really can't praise Cavill enough.

Contrary to everyone, I didn't find the flashbacks too bad. I thought there was perhaps a couple too many and I was sad that the one flashback I wanted to see - the Kents discovering baby Clark - was the one we didn't get. They certainly needed to be contained to the first hour though, apart from the one at the end, which I loved.

The film looked fantastic, even though I'm not a fan of Snyder's direction style. He gives fantastic visuals but sometimes, frenetic and quite distracting camerawork, but you adjust to it. I thought the suit looked incredibly dull in pictures but it worked onscreen. It could've 'popped' a little more but alas.

I thought Henry and Amy had great chemistry but it was rushed. So very, very rushed. Their relationship seemed to progress at lightning speed but I appreciate the fact that she knows his secret identity. I can't lie, however, in the final scene, I was just yearning for some classic Daily Planet dynamics, which the film did sorely miss.

Jonathan Kent's death was just silly. 'Nuff said. If I could change one thing, it would be that scene. I get the intention behind but it just didn't work for me.

I liked seeing young Clark struggle with his powers. It was something a bit new and interesting.

Dialogue was a major, major issue. The dialogue in that scene with young Clark struggling in the classroom, for example, was painful. Very cheesy, very cliché and needed a good script polish. Conversely, I thought the final scene complete with "Welcome to the Planet" was splendid.

The editing was a bit... umm, messy, to say the least. It absolutely reaked of a film that was probably much, much longer and trimmed down considerably. And you could tell. A lot of odd cuts, few proper transitions and it sort of let itself down in that regard. I'd have happily lost a flashback or two if it meant that several other scenes in the movie had room to breathe.

Speaking of things that could be trimmed - the action. Absolutely adored seeing a Superman film with action after the disappointing SR but the final 45 minutes just veered a little too far into gratuitous. As did the random property destruction. Bizarre scenes as Zod's ship hovered over Metropolis (which, much like Gotham in TDKR felt distinctly underwhelming and lacking in character - this needs to be improved for MOS2) but the Daily Planet was absolutely full of people. Only as the destruction started, did people run. And then when they did began, they seemed to have evacuated in seconds as Superman seemed to be fighting in a ghost town for much of the final battle, until Zod moved the fight to more, undestroyed, streets. My main issue isn't necessarily with the loss of life (people surely died but what saw very little of it, bar deserted building after deserted building - an artistic choice I'm sure, but if you're not wanting to imply mass death, don't set your fights in those kind of areas) but the fact that the near decimation is going to be very hard to top in terms of spectacle. And the Daily Planet was up and running in no time again anyway! Madness.

In regards to Zod's death, I felt it was a little overblown with the slow laser and sobbing family, but strangely, I wasn't as bothered by the neck snapping as I thought. I would like to think that will be the first and only time Superman kills someone in this franchise though, and we get some scenes addressing that act in MOS2.

I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I sound like I did from this review. I thought it was solid and I enjoyed it more than TDKR but as I said, the ingredients for something even better was there.

A solid B.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool
 
Daybreak_st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,623
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Basically how I felt...lots of potential, but ultimately underdelivered/-executed.
Exactly

__________________
Check out my blog for art updates http://stephenscomicgenius.blogspot.com

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages


Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
And coughs.


I thought something more in the lines of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9kv4KuWanQ

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,423
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
I thought something more in the lines of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9kv4KuWanQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y-xuVk9VEM

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 26,100
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Dialogue was a major, major issue. The dialogue in that scene with young Clark struggling in the classroom, for example, was painful. Very cheesy, very cliché and needed a good script polish.
What dialogue are you referring to in the classroom?

I dunno. I thought this was Goyer's most restrained, appropriately toned, best-written script yet. What dialogue?

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
Rock Sexton
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Southwest
Posts: 9,139
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
What dialogue are you referring to in the classroom?

I dunno. I thought this was Goyer's most restrained, appropriately toned, best-written script yet. What dialogue?
It's so fascinating to me how someone can think it's his best written script yet (you) and someone can think it's hot garbage (me).

Btw, just so I can sort've get an idea of what you consider quality dialogue .... what are some of your favorite screenplays?

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight
 
BatmanBeyond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Neo-Gotham
Posts: 1,470
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Saw it today and loved it. Never been the biggest of Superman fans, but this movie made me care about the character. I was a bit overwhelmed by this first viewing and might go and see it a second time. But I loved Cavill in the role. He was commanding and vulnerable at the same. He was Superman/Clark Kent.

I'd place the movie on the same level as BB, as far as origin and superhero movies go. Don't really get where the idea that this is somehow a dark version of Superman comes from. The movie had plenty of heart and hope. Kudos to Snyder - when he's not making stinkers like Sucker Punch, he generally does quality stuff such as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
What dialogue are you referring to in the classroom?

I dunno. I thought this was Goyer's most restrained, appropriately toned, best-written script yet. What dialogue?
This. I thought the humour was well-timed as well. Loved Ma Kent's "Nice suit, son" line.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
When you're a show that has the writer of The Dark Knight, Jesus, Ben Linus and produced by JJ Abrams, it's hard to get cancelled.
Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,653
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

I don't see how anyone could have given that film a C when it was clearly better than any Superman film ever made.

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I don't see how anyone could have given that film a C when it was clearly better than any Superman film ever made.
What if the other movies were less than a C? This movie could still be a C and better than the rest. Not my opinion but a matter of logic.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #18
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,423
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I don't see how anyone could have given that film a C when it was clearly better than any Superman film ever made.
In your opinion. For various reasons, I think it's the third, but more importantly, not as good as many other superhero movies since 2001.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #19
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,880
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I don't see how anyone could have given that film a C when it was clearly better than any Superman film ever made.
The trouble with this statement is it ASSUMES your position is correct, therefore rendering any difference of opinion as false.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #20
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick
 
Joeyjojo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,752
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

A comment left on redlettermedia's MoS review by someone named Ass Hat:

Butthurt. OH MY GOD look at all this butthurt. This is butthurt that I will be able to tell my grandkids about someday. Sitting on the front porch with a glass of lemonade in my hand, while little Timmy and little Sally run up to me wide-eyed...

"Grandpa, Grandpa! Tell us a story!"

"About my time in World War III?"

"No! No! About the great Butthurt Act of 2013 that we learned about in history class today!"

"Ah. What a dark time it was. Well, kids. Many, many years ago, when I was a much younger man...there was one of those moving pictures that came out that they called 'Man of Steel.' This moving picture was a retelling of the age-old story of Superman. When it came out, the movie was hated by many and loved by many. While many were respectful towards opposing views, some reacted with venomous words. They are nearly extinct today, but back then they were known as "Fanboys" and they were a loathsome, virginal lot. You see, another man about 35 or so years earlier made a couple of these Superman pictures. The people who hated this 'Man of Steel' were accused relentlessly of being loyal to the early Donner pictures when it wasn't the case. The ones who hated it complained of such fundamental things. Things that were necessary for every other picture ever made, yet the Fanboys convinced themselves that these things did not apply to 'Man of Steel.' Things such as the writing. Characters with purpose. Structure. Feelings! Nevertheless, the Fanboys were convinced that those who hated it were "stupid and just didn't get it," and given a black "S" to wear on our clothing.

"You mean that people didn't like it because it had no soul, Grandpa?"

"That's correct, my dear. You see, this was back in the time when these things became less common place. Writers were losing their touch and the almighty box office opening weekend was the only consideration, and moving pictures became soulless, noisy things without heart or emotion. People began mistaking emotional investment with characters with slow-motion explosions with sad orchestral music and choirs playing over them. Or a slow-motion image of a man underwater or in space with his arms spread like Christ. They became confused and manipulated. Standards bottomed out. Things like this are what the Fanboys came to expect and demand, violently if they had to."

"So...so what happened?" I lit my pipe.

"Well, Timmy, things changed. They started calling this sort of thing "ADHD cinema." Films that celebrated style over substance without any sense of adventure or hope. Those who disliked 'Man of Steel' were forced into camps. They were tortured and made to watch the picture several times and repeat things like "This is not Richard Donner's Superman" and "I didn't understand the great 'Man of Steel's' true genius" thousands of times over, daily. However, they revolted. The case was made because they had science on their side. An institution back then known as Rotten Tomatoes, before they replaced the executive branch of the government, came to our aid. They argued that the film was universally "rotten" with a score of 56%. The Fanboys argued that the system was flawed. They were right, but their argument of "your just stipid adn gay" didn't hold up. They knew they had lost."

"So what happened then?"

"Well, this series of events brought about the Butthurt Act of 2013. It put into law that any Fanboy who decides to slander someone in disagreement is banished into the exile of watching another moving picture from 1998 called 'Godzilla.' You see, this 'Godzilla' picture had the same flaws as 'Man of Steel,' yet no one criticized anyone for not liking it as it had no support. The 'Godzilla' picture was also a reinvention of a classic yarn. It was about a radioactive lizard who destroys civilizations along with great numbers of their people. This picture also lacked any kind of creativity in its writing, characters, or story just the same as 'Man of Steel.' Yet with that 'Man of Steel' picture, people were told that they weren't smart enough to understand the brilliance of the poor writing. They were told they were partial to Marvel, a group who were also in the superhero business. The moral of the story is, kids...people who don't like something usually have good reasons for doing so. Fanboys who like these pictures were never able to understand that and made up all sorts of exaggerations and lost their collective nerve. You see, some people want a little more than CGI and explosions. Fanboys don't."

"Wow, Grandpa! I had no idea it could be that bad. I hope it never happens again. Grandpa, what did you think of 'The Man of Steel?'

"Well, Timmy, I'll tell you. Don't repeat this and don't tell your mother."

"Ok!"

"Piece of fu***ng s**t, Timmy. A gigantic piece of god*mn s**t."

THE END

__________________
Originally Posted by KangConquers

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool
 
Daybreak_st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,623
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
A comment left on redlettermedia's MoS review by someone named Ass Hat:

Butthurt. OH MY GOD look at all this butthurt. This is butthurt that I will be able to tell my grandkids about someday. Sitting on the front porch with a glass of lemonade in my hand, while little Timmy and little Sally run up to me wide-eyed...

"Grandpa, Grandpa! Tell us a story!"

"About my time in World War III?"

"No! No! About the great Butthurt Act of 2013 that we learned about in history class today!"

"Ah. What a dark time it was. Well, kids. Many, many years ago, when I was a much younger man...there was one of those moving pictures that came out that they called 'Man of Steel.' This moving picture was a retelling of the age-old story of Superman. When it came out, the movie was hated by many and loved by many. While many were respectful towards opposing views, some reacted with venomous words. They are nearly extinct today, but back then they were known as "Fanboys" and they were a loathsome, virginal lot. You see, another man about 35 or so years earlier made a couple of these Superman pictures. The people who hated this 'Man of Steel' were accused relentlessly of being loyal to the early Donner pictures when it wasn't the case. The ones who hated it complained of such fundamental things. Things that were necessary for every other picture ever made, yet the Fanboys convinced themselves that these things did not apply to 'Man of Steel.' Things such as the writing. Characters with purpose. Structure. Feelings! Nevertheless, the Fanboys were convinced that those who hated it were "stupid and just didn't get it," and given a black "S" to wear on our clothing.

"You mean that people didn't like it because it had no soul, Grandpa?"

"That's correct, my dear. You see, this was back in the time when these things became less common place. Writers were losing their touch and the almighty box office opening weekend was the only consideration, and moving pictures became soulless, noisy things without heart or emotion. People began mistaking emotional investment with characters with slow-motion explosions with sad orchestral music and choirs playing over them. Or a slow-motion image of a man underwater or in space with his arms spread like Christ. They became confused and manipulated. Standards bottomed out. Things like this are what the Fanboys came to expect and demand, violently if they had to."

"So...so what happened?" I lit my pipe.

"Well, Timmy, things changed. They started calling this sort of thing "ADHD cinema." Films that celebrated style over substance without any sense of adventure or hope. Those who disliked 'Man of Steel' were forced into camps. They were tortured and made to watch the picture several times and repeat things like "This is not Richard Donner's Superman" and "I didn't understand the great 'Man of Steel's' true genius" thousands of times over, daily. However, they revolted. The case was made because they had science on their side. An institution back then known as Rotten Tomatoes, before they replaced the executive branch of the government, came to our aid. They argued that the film was universally "rotten" with a score of 56%. The Fanboys argued that the system was flawed. They were right, but their argument of "your just stipid adn gay" didn't hold up. They knew they had lost."

"So what happened then?"

"Well, this series of events brought about the Butthurt Act of 2013. It put into law that any Fanboy who decides to slander someone in disagreement is banished into the exile of watching another moving picture from 1998 called 'Godzilla.' You see, this 'Godzilla' picture had the same flaws as 'Man of Steel,' yet no one criticized anyone for not liking it as it had no support. The 'Godzilla' picture was also a reinvention of a classic yarn. It was about a radioactive lizard who destroys civilizations along with great numbers of their people. This picture also lacked any kind of creativity in its writing, characters, or story just the same as 'Man of Steel.' Yet with that 'Man of Steel' picture, people were told that they weren't smart enough to understand the brilliance of the poor writing. They were told they were partial to Marvel, a group who were also in the superhero business. The moral of the story is, kids...people who don't like something usually have good reasons for doing so. Fanboys who like these pictures were never able to understand that and made up all sorts of exaggerations and lost their collective nerve. You see, some people want a little more than CGI and explosions. Fanboys don't."

"Wow, Grandpa! I had no idea it could be that bad. I hope it never happens again. Grandpa, what did you think of 'The Man of Steel?'

"Well, Timmy, I'll tell you. Don't repeat this and don't tell your mother."

"Ok!"

"Piece of fu***ng s**t, Timmy. A gigantic piece of god*mn s**t."

THE END
hahahahaahah...they gave that whole dialogue some serious thought! It's funny how the term "fanboy" is thrown around these days though. If you didn't like the movie or had any complaints you're called a "purist" and "fanboy". Then in this scenario above if you liked the film and defend it you're also called a "fanboy". Let's just retire the term, anyone posting on internet message boards about a comic book based film has no right to call another poster a "fanboy".

__________________
Check out my blog for art updates http://stephenscomicgenius.blogspot.com

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages


Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
marcvader
Lurker #1
 
marcvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The MIA
Posts: 10,206
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjojo72 View Post
a comment left on redlettermedia's mos review by someone named ass hat:

Butthurt. Oh my god look at all this butthurt. This is butthurt that i will be able to tell my grandkids about someday. Sitting on the front porch with a glass of lemonade in my hand, while little timmy and little sally run up to me wide-eyed...

"grandpa, grandpa! Tell us a story!"

"about my time in world war iii?"

"no! No! About the great butthurt act of 2013 that we learned about in history class today!"

"ah. What a dark time it was. Well, kids. Many, many years ago, when i was a much younger man...there was one of those moving pictures that came out that they called 'man of steel.' this moving picture was a retelling of the age-old story of superman. When it came out, the movie was hated by many and loved by many. While many were respectful towards opposing views, some reacted with venomous words. They are nearly extinct today, but back then they were known as "fanboys" and they were a loathsome, virginal lot. You see, another man about 35 or so years earlier made a couple of these superman pictures. The people who hated this 'man of steel' were accused relentlessly of being loyal to the early donner pictures when it wasn't the case. The ones who hated it complained of such fundamental things. Things that were necessary for every other picture ever made, yet the fanboys convinced themselves that these things did not apply to 'man of steel.' things such as the writing. Characters with purpose. Structure. Feelings! Nevertheless, the fanboys were convinced that those who hated it were "stupid and just didn't get it," and given a black "s" to wear on our clothing.

"you mean that people didn't like it because it had no soul, grandpa?"

"that's correct, my dear. You see, this was back in the time when these things became less common place. Writers were losing their touch and the almighty box office opening weekend was the only consideration, and moving pictures became soulless, noisy things without heart or emotion. People began mistaking emotional investment with characters with slow-motion explosions with sad orchestral music and choirs playing over them. Or a slow-motion image of a man underwater or in space with his arms spread like christ. They became confused and manipulated. Standards bottomed out. Things like this are what the fanboys came to expect and demand, violently if they had to."

"so...so what happened?" i lit my pipe.

"well, timmy, things changed. They started calling this sort of thing "adhd cinema." films that celebrated style over substance without any sense of adventure or hope. Those who disliked 'man of steel' were forced into camps. They were tortured and made to watch the picture several times and repeat things like "this is not richard donner's superman" and "i didn't understand the great 'man of steel's' true genius" thousands of times over, daily. However, they revolted. The case was made because they had science on their side. An institution back then known as rotten tomatoes, before they replaced the executive branch of the government, came to our aid. They argued that the film was universally "rotten" with a score of 56%. The fanboys argued that the system was flawed. They were right, but their argument of "your just stipid adn gay" didn't hold up. They knew they had lost."

"so what happened then?"

"well, this series of events brought about the butthurt act of 2013. It put into law that any fanboy who decides to slander someone in disagreement is banished into the exile of watching another moving picture from 1998 called 'godzilla.' you see, this 'godzilla' picture had the same flaws as 'man of steel,' yet no one criticized anyone for not liking it as it had no support. The 'godzilla' picture was also a reinvention of a classic yarn. It was about a radioactive lizard who destroys civilizations along with great numbers of their people. This picture also lacked any kind of creativity in its writing, characters, or story just the same as 'man of steel.' yet with that 'man of steel' picture, people were told that they weren't smart enough to understand the brilliance of the poor writing. They were told they were partial to marvel, a group who were also in the superhero business. The moral of the story is, kids...people who don't like something usually have good reasons for doing so. Fanboys who like these pictures were never able to understand that and made up all sorts of exaggerations and lost their collective nerve. You see, some people want a little more than cgi and explosions. Fanboys don't."

"wow, grandpa! I had no idea it could be that bad. I hope it never happens again. Grandpa, what did you think of 'the man of steel?'

"well, timmy, i'll tell you. Don't repeat this and don't tell your mother."

"ok!"

"piece of fu***ng s**t, timmy. A gigantic piece of god*mn s**t."

the end
lol

__________________
* * *CAPTAIN AMERICA* * *
******THE WINTER SOLDIER******
__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:18 AM   #23
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

My review:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Direction: Very good, for the most part. The handheld cam didn't bother me, although they should've eased up with the sudden zoom-ins whenever any kind of flying vehicle was shown.

Story: It was on par with BB, a discovery journey with a serviceable villain plot.

Screenplay: VERY problematic, disjointed. It made logical sense, but thematically it was incomplete, dare I say lazy. It was like a 2-hour montage of awesome scenes that never quite stuck. It's all there, it's just missing some glue.

Characters: Characters were fine. All of them. Superman underwhelmed me a bit because the theme of "choice" never stuck, so he never really made a choice. He wore the suit and he fought the bad guys. But he was really likeable and noble and optimistic, so it was Superman, so all is good. Lois had stuff to do, she was no damsel in distress, so no idea why she's getting all the flack. Even that chick Jenny was nice.

Themes: Hope and Choice. Not once fleshed out. Nature vs nurture never really played a part in characters' choices or anything. Really superficial, even by Goyer standards.

Performances: Cavill was great, as was Adams. I really liked Diane Lane and the 2 military men, as well as the Hamilton actor. Russel stole the damn show, I loved him so much. Special mention to the other females Ayelet and Antje, especially the latter and the former's cleavage. Costner and Shannon were sleepwalking through their roles, I have no idea why Shannon has inspired all this great villain talk. not even close to being top 10 in my book.

Cinematography: Top notch. Desaturated look clicked for me. The movie is gorgeous, and the fact that it was shot in film makes it even more so.

Music: Very very good and the more scifi parts of the soundtracks made for awe-inspiring moments. The heroic parts were somewhat subdued, though, for some reason.

Action: Top notch. Best ever in a CBM. Nobody will be able to touch it other than Snyder himself. Nothing more to say.

CGI: Excellent for the most part. Tbh, I didn't expect them to be SO good. Bravo.

Editing: The flashbacks weren't organically inserted in the main narrative, imo. It tried to be BB, but whereas in the latter the flashbacks were inserted strategically to maximize character development, story and themes, in MoS they're inserted in a "by the way" manner. The movie is choppy after Krypton and before Zod's arrival, but not necessarily in a bad way. I rather enjoyed Lois and Clark intercut in the latter's spaceship.

Overall: I liked it, I really really enjoyed it, but it's not reaching the genius levels of the Dark Knight Trilogy, imo. It is a good start for a Superman franchise and if they decide to **** it up by establishing a DCU, it's an even greater start. But Goyer will always need a Nolan, just like Gotham will always need a Batman. Thank God Jonah Nolan wrote the 3rd act, because that's when the movie shone, especially the ending, which took the movie a couple of notches up in my eyes. Superman killing Zod was one of the best ideas ever, and it has to take Superman to interesting places. I'm 100% behind their choice, Nolan was in the wrong to fight it, imo. I'm excited for MoS2, I jsut wish MoS was even better than it was. It's like... TASM, only (much) better. It does NOT deserve 55%. It deserves 75-80%.

7.5-8/10 (will decide on 2nd viewing)


Last edited by Gianakin_; 06-21-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #24
TruerToTheCore
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth-1
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

The movie is very pretentious. I cringed multiple times.

The action scenes were overkill but i didn't have that much problem with it. I just ignore the collateral damage. I know that in a "realistic" movie like this is presented the death toll caused by Superman would be high. I ignored it.

Cavill wasn't really that good.

Amy Adams was one of the weakest incarnations of Lois Lane.

Zod and Faora were both good.

Pa Kent was unlikeable and wrong.

The tornado scene was ridiculous. What kind of lesson is this supposed to teach?

Overall a very weirdly structured movie.

The traditional Clark Kent/Superman thing isn't going to work. To many people have seen him. The military knows he is from Smallville.

Goyer is a hack.

I didn't even feel like Superman. Even Smallville felt more like the classic Superman. I don't know. I cannot even hate the movie. It's roughly 35% good stuff, 40% **** and 25% mediocre.

Don't know what to rate.


Last edited by TruerToTheCore; 06-21-2013 at 05:44 AM.
TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #25
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright
 
BlueLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,168
Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
My review:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Direction: Very good, for the most part. The handheld cam didn't bother me, although they should've eased up with the sudden zoom-ins whenever any kind of flying vehicle was shown.

Story: It was on par with BB, a discovery journey with a serviceable villain plot.

Screenplay: VERY problematic, disjointed. It made logical sense, but thematically it was incomplete, dare I say lazy. It was like a 2-hour montage of awesome scenes that never quite stuck. It's all there, it's just missing some glue.

Characters: Characters were fine. All of them. Superman underwhelmed me a bit because the theme of "choice" never stuck, so he never really made a choice. He wore the suit and he fought the bad guys. But he was really likeable and noble and optimistic, so it was Superman, so all is good. Lois had stuff to do, she was no damsel in distress, so no idea why she's getting all the flack. Even that chick Jenny was nice.

Themes: Hope and Choice. Not once fleshed out. Nature vs nurture never really played a part in characters' choices or anything. Really superficial, even by Goyer standards.

Performances: Cavill was great, as was Adams. I really liked Diane Lane and the 2 military men, as well as the Hamilton actor. Russel stole the damn show, I loved him so much. Special mention to the other females Ayelet and Antje, especially the latter and the former's cleavage. Costner and Shannon were sleepwalking through their roles, I have no idea why Shannon has inspired all this great villain talk. not even close to being top 10 in my book.

Cinematography: Top notch. Desaturated look clicked for me. The movie is gorgeous, and the fact that it was shot in film makes it even more so.

Music: Very very good and the more scifi parts of the soundtracks made for awe-inspiring moments. The heroic parts were somewhat subdued, though, for some reason.

Action: Top notch. Best ever in a CBM. Nobody will be able to touch it other than Snyder himself. Nothing more to say.

CGI: Excellent for the most part. Tbh, I didn't expect them to be SO good. Bravo.

Editing: The flashbacks weren't organically inserted in the main narrative, imo. It tried to be BB, but whereas in the latter the flashbacks were inserted strategically to maximize character development, story and themes, in MoS they're inserted in a "by the way" manner. The movie is choppy after Krypton and before Zod's arrival, but not necessarily in a bad way. I rather enjoyed Lois and Clark intercut in the latter's spaceship.

Overall: I liked it, I really really enjoyed it, but it's not reaching the genius levels of the Dark Knight Trilogy, imo. It is a good start for a Superman franchise and if they decide to **** it up by establishing a DCU, it's an even greater start. But Goyer will always need a Nolan, just like Gotham will always need a Batman. Thank God Jonah Nolan wrote the 3rd act, because that's when the movie shone, especially the ending, which took the movie a couple of notches up in my eyes. Superman killing Zod was one of the best ideas ever, and it has to take Superman to interesting places. I'm 100% behind their choice, Nolan was in the wrong to fight it, imo. I'm excited for MoS2, I jsut wish MoS was even better than it was. It's like... TASM, only (much) better. It does NOT deserve 55%. It deserves 75-80%.

7.5-8/10 (will decide on 2nd viewing)
Jonah Nolan had nothing to do with the film. From what I've read and re-read he had a look at the script and passed because he was working on Person of Interest.

__________________
In fearful day in raging night, no evil shall escape my sight. When all seems lost and hope ignites, beware my power, Blue Lantern's light.
BlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.