The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Default William Fitchner IS The Shredder

In a recent interview with The Huffington Post Canada, when asked about his role in TMNT, William Fitchner confirmed that he will be playing The Shredder.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 06-21-2013 at 10:31 PM.
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Default Re: William Fitchner IS The Shredder

Any word on whether they kept the General Schroeder nonsense from the script Bay says they threw out? Haven't seen much TMNT news lately, but last I checked The Foot didn't look the least like ninjas and more like a low budget military group with awful masks.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Any word on whether they kept the General Schroeder nonsense from the script Bay says they threw out? Haven't seen much TMNT news lately, but last I checked The Foot didn't look the least like ninjas and more like a low budget military group with awful masks.
So far, the set images and casting news show a radically different film than what was in the "General Schrader" script. This including a different backstory for April and the Turtles based on the 87 TV series.

And based on that writer/reviewer's comments yesterday, whatever version we are now getting of the Shredder, as well as everything else, can't be too bad.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 06-21-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Klank
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
So far, the set images and casting news show a radically different film than what was in the "General Schrader" script. This including a different backstory for April and the Turtles based on the 87 TV series.

And based on that writer/reviewer's comments yesterday, whatever version we are now getting of the Shredder, as well as everything else, can't be too bad.
In the leaked script there's an SUV chase on a snowy hill and we know they are shooting near a ski lodge for a scene involving SUVs.

Then there's the Foot being a military organisation and as we can see the Foot certainly look like a military unit.

Then there's the the turtles being captured by said militaristic Foot. In fact the scene of the turtles in chains is very similar to one in the leaked sript.

Some of the things we are seeing are different, yes but the signs don't point to something radicaly different yet.

Klank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Cassandra Cain
C'mon! Let's get NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klank View Post
Some of the things we are seeing are different, yes but the signs don't point to something radicaly different yet.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Fair enough. I think I'll err on the side of caution though until I see some actual promotional shots of Shredder and the Turtles and/or a trailer. I'm not a Bay hater, but the look of the Foot soured me quite a bit when I was just beginning to entertain that they might have thrown it all out.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
sweetre15
Positive Page

Yeah so far...

- We have a pseudo-Black Ops ish foot clan

- Shredder still being in the script but no word of how he'll look or if his origin will remain intact but the fact that he was referred to as Shredder in the interview give me a little hope.

- The presence of Black Baxter Stockman and potentially have mousers

- April, Vernon and possibly Irna from the Fred Wolf cartoon with similar characterizations and no Casey in sight.

- Confirmation of the OOZE being alien, the Turtles residing in the sewers and enjoying pizza from Bay and Eastman respectively.

So far, it's hard to tell how much of that script is still being used. Part of me still hopes to see Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady and the Technodrome.

sweetre15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

well, this sucks

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

Shredder's gonna have sad eyes!

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Lone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
In a recent interview with The Huffington Post Canada, when asked about his role in TMNT, William Fitchner confirmed that he will be playing The Shredder.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #11
jacobed
Banned User

I think he's a phenomenal choice. This guy is a great actor

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #12
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I think he's a phenomenal choice. This guy is a great actor
he is a great actor no doubt it

but he is no Shredder. was hoping they would cast an Asian actor for the role.

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
he is a great actor no doubt it

but he is no Shredder. was hoping they would cast an Asian actor for the role.
The only time he has ever been played by an asian is the second movie. Yeah the Shredder looked cool in the first two movies but he did absolutely nothing in them. Let's not pretend he was this big martial arts master either, he did a few kicks and jumps to defeat the turtles and then "died" in one of the biggest facepalming deaths ever. Fichtner will rock the roll good although if this Colonel Schreder stuff is true than bleh that just reaks of badness

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
mattyt81
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
The only time he has ever been played by an asian is the second movie. Yeah the Shredder looked cool in the first two movies but he did absolutely nothing in them. Let's not pretend he was this big martial arts master either, he did a few kicks and jumps to defeat the turtles and then "died" in one of the biggest facepalming deaths ever. Fichtner will rock the roll good although if this Colonel Schreder stuff is true than bleh that just reaks of badness
James Saito isn't asian?

mattyt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyt81 View Post
James Saito isn't asian?
He's of Asian descent but yeah, he's from LA. Morever, he could pass for Japanese.

And for most of the fandom, as long as you look the part, that's good enough. It doesn't have anything to do with a Japanese Actor vs. an American Actor, white or not, talented or not.

But even still, he was basically a stand in. So was Francis Chau who played him in TMNT II. The voice actor for Shredder in TMNT I and II (David McCharen) did the real performance, and He's a white guy.

IMO, it doesn't matter or not if the actor who playes him looks the part because The Shredder A) Has scarring that extensively covers his face and B) His face is never shown do to his helmet.

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 06-26-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #16
Nathan

So far the only casting choices I actually like are Mos Def as Stockman and Will Arnett as Vernon. And I really don't care at all about Vernon. So they could have cast pretty much anyone in it. Anyway, I'm mentally preparing myself now for Colonel Schraeder.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
Klank
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
So far the only casting choices I actually like are Mos Def as Stockman and Will Arnett as Vernon. And I really don't care at all about Vernon. So they could have cast pretty much anyone in it. Anyway, I'm mentally preparing myself now for Colonel Schraeder.
I think that's not true. The site that reported that has a motto says they post things they feel fans want to hear. No where else has picked the story up like they have with Fichtner as Shredder so I think it's safe to say it was made up.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
Nathan

Quote:
I think that's not true. The site that reported that has a motto says they post things they feel fans want to hear. No where else has picked the story up like they have with Fichtner as Shredder so I think it's safe to say it was made up.
Well, isn't that great.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
guy_from_nerk
Side-Kick

Well this movie just got put on my "will not waste money to see" list. As a huge fan of the franchise this hurts my heart haha. I had low expectations for this movie, now they are even lower.

guy_from_nerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #20
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Wtf? Most Def was cast as Stockman?

When was this?

"I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good." -Joss Whedon
louiebling$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
Klank
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiebling$ View Post
Wtf? Most Def was cast as Stockman?

When was this?
It wasn't. It was a made up story by a website that does joke news articles and some people posted it around believing it.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #22
Nathan

Quote:
It wasn't. It was a made up story by a website that does joke news articles and some people posted it around believing it.
Yeah, the only good news were actually fake news. How sad is that?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #23
Klank
Side-Kick

Quote:
This. Also, they may have him be like TDKR Bane who, like Shredder in this new movie, was quite different from their comic counterpart.

Like Bane in TDKR, he'd definitely a character with asian roots/of asian ethnicity, but is nonetheless played by a (mostly masked) white guy. Trained in "the way of the Ninja" but later adopts guerrilla warfare style military tactics and incorporates it into his style of running the foot, like Bane did with the League of Shadows; an organization rooted in traditional martial arts and ninja tactics converted into a militant, guerrilla warfare type organization.

it could provide a great contrast to the traditional style the turtles use, just like Bane's style contrasted with Ra's Al Ghul's and Batman's.
That'd be an interesting route to go down but I somehow doubt it. I cerainly don't think Fitchner is going to spend the majority of the movie masked (nor should he). Bare in mind he's also likely to have some connection to Krang that's an awful lot to cram into a characters backstory.

Fitchner's latest comments could be intepreted in a number of ways but I can't help but think the "change" he talks about is a vague reference to his transformation into his true form from that much talked about script. I'm still laying odds that's the route they are going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Given how much this director is going on about "The Raid" choreo...
I'm sure there will be martial arts from both sides.
I don't think Jonathan Leibesman has ever said that himself but rather Kevin Eastman.

Now I like the guy but he has a habit dating back years of putting a 'spin' on things to explain things in a way he knows they want to hear.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #24
RAE072
Samhain

What the flying hell.

Shredder is Japanese. His name is Oroku Saki.

How many more times must I damn you, Michael Bay?

RAE072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #25
Matt312
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE072 View Post
What the flying hell.

Shredder is Japanese. His name is Oroku Saki.

How many more times must I damn you, Michael Bay?
bingo

Matt312 is offline   Reply With Quote