The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 06-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Lord
All Mighty

Default For how long will the MCU go?

Before being rebooted i mean, by the end of 2015 the franchise will already be 12 films and a tv show, for how many years can this thing go before being rebooted or failing so hard it disappears completelly? Even Bond had to be eventually rebooted.

What are your guesses? The end of Phase 3? 10 years from now? Or will it continue to increasingly expand and have other heroes take the spotlight as time goes?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Default Re: For how long will the MCU go?

Like you said, it depends on how successful it is going forward. It seems inevitable it'll be rebooted at some point. My feeling is that Marvel Studios is just scratching the surface from both a creative and financial standpoint. I'd guess that we'll see this universe go to the end of phase 4 at the very least.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Heliflyer
Banned User

Follow the old formulas; westerns lasted about 12-17 years in their heyday then took a long hiatus, until Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven" hit the screens, giving a little new life to the genre.

Star Wars reignited the passion for Sci-Fi, but that wained for a while during the late 80s into the early 90s.

As an educated guess, CBMs will run their current popularity arc in about another eight years. The next generation of filmgoers will be looking for new thrills and something different from their "square" parents' likes.

There will be a dip in the amount of productions per year, and then about 15 to 20 years after there will be a resurgence of the genre.

Heliflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliflyer View Post
Follow the old formulas; westerns lasted about 12-17 years in their heyday then took a long hiatus, until Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven" hit the screens, giving a little new life to the genre.
Westerns as a popular genre actually lasted for several decades. Some of the earliest films made were westerns, and their popularity lasted until the late '60s - early '70s, until Eastwood's spaghetti films wrung the last few dollars out of it.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Westerns as a popular genre actually lasted for several decades. Some of the earliest films made were westerns, and their popularity lasted until the late '60s - early '70s, until Eastwood's spaghetti films wrung the last few dollars out of it.
Was that a reference?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Was that a reference?
A few more or a fist full of them, take your pick.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

I don't think it will ever get rebooted, why would it?

They'll just keep recasting without losing the history.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Was Bond "rebooted"?

These Daniel Craig films work more like prequels than reboots as the end of SKYFALL takes us back to the point where DR. NO begins.

Superman took 35 years to reboot - I see no reason for Marvel to do so any sooner...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
Was Bond "rebooted"?

These Daniel Craig films work more like prequels than reboots as the end of SKYFALL takes us back to the point where DR. NO begins.

Superman took 35 years to reboot - I see no reason for Marvel to do so any sooner...
New timeline, diferente technology and year they take place, Daniel Cragi's Bond needed 3 films to finally reboot the character but they were reboots.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Like the Comics, I can see the MCU going for 15-20 years

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

It is contingent on the success of the films; from the perspective as a fan and screenwriter, rebooting is unfathomable at this point. If anything, the MCU has just gotten started, and they have pierced only the top of the proverbial iceberg, in terms of arcs and storytelling.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Donut
Side-Kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3b8LswWO1A

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Hammer!
Side-Kick

The MCU is one of the most innovative filmmaking devices in history. I hope it never ends, and as long as the produce quality films akin to their last four (Thor, CA:TFA, Avengers, and Iron Man 3) it probably won't.

Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Problems may appear if established, fan favourite actors get too old for the role/too expensive and are replaced with inferior talent if not re-cast wisely, otherwise the limits are well limitless.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

I don't get some peoples obsession with reboots.
by that logic the whole 616 MU would have been rebooted in what? 1967?
there are no limits on how much stories can be told in this universe. so why reboot it so shortly after it started? makes no sense.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

If the X-Men film series managed to go on for 13 years now without doing a reboot, I don't see why MCU can't. Especially its universe is so large! MCU should go on for 25 years and after that do a reboot.

Reboot is only necessary when the actors are too old to play their role again, if the movies are no longer selling a lot of tickets and if the quality of the movies are not good anymore and of course in 2040, people would want to see an updated / modern take of these films.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
Visualiza
What is a yout?

The MCU will keep going for as long as the money keeps flowing in, it's as simple as that.

Even in the case of Bond, I don't think that it necessarily had to be rebooted, it was just a decision that was settled upon.

The best way to keep things fresh is to rotate the active lineup of characters. My only hope is that quality isn't sacrificed for the sake of keeping the factory alive. People like Feige will prevent that somewhat, which is why I always worry when it comes time for someone like him to step down.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #18
lozzy.94
Im no Side-Kick

I cant picture the MCU ever getting rebooted. Once the actors are to old the play these characters I think they will simply recast but keep it in the same continuity.

lozzy.94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #19
Silvermoth
Avenger

I think they'll just reboot like the comics. Captain America was sort of rebooted telling more of the origin when brubaker took over and I reckon when they get new talent that's what they'll do

Silvermoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

There's absolutely no reason that Marvel Studios would try to commit suicide by "rebooting" their gold mine.

Yes, someday people will get tired of the superhero subgenre, just as they got tired of any other subgenre you can think of. Once that happens, a reboot would be meaningless, and seen as a cheap act of desperation. Instead, when that sad day comes, Marvel Studios will likely just quietly close up shop and be happy with a long and successful run.

I estimate that day will happen 53 years from now.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

It all depends on if the Iron Man recasting is successful. If so, they'll go for perhaps 30 or 40 years, before it implodes on its own weight, though there's always the chance taht some outside force related to finance or politics stops it.

If not, we can only reasonably expect 5-10 more years.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
It all depends on if the Iron Man recasting is successful. If so, they'll go for perhaps 30 or 40 years, before it implodes on its own weight, though there's always the chance taht some outside force related to finance or politics stops it.

If not, we can only reasonably expect 5-10 more years.
5 is too low. You should say 8-10. They already have movies with release dates set 4 years from now and surely have plans for movie beyond that.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I don't think the MCU will be rebooted. It will be *recast*, but there won't be an actual reboot. Feige has said, time and again, that they will try and follow a Bond model.

As for how long things will remain popular? Honestly, I suspect the sky is the limit; as long as they keep producing good movies, people will keep going to them.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #24
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

As far as genres are concerned, the "superhero" genre has a good chance of becoming a staple genre. It could become that kind of genre that you know you'll get 2-3, maybe more, films a year. Same way with horror, action, romcom, comedy etc. The only thing is will it continue to produce quality films or will studios start getting lazy because they know people will still come see them.
This translate to the reboots in that if they continue making good money after the first recast (which is looking to be RDJ after A3) then there won't be a reboot like how all other CBMs have so far.

Eventually, they will have to do a sort of "soft reboot" to reintroduce the origins of the characters again. But that won't be for another 10-15 years. Basically when the next generation is hitting their teens. However, when they have to do this I think they may not do a full blown origin story and may instead decide to do a flashback origins type of thing when they recast the characters at that time.

And yes, WB/DC will be following their example once if they get it right.