The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

Old 07-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
bluearth
Side-Kick

Default Things you see Necessary for a Good Sequel

Want to name things you think would make the sequel better then the first?

For me

1. Introduce new characters. Im talking about more then just a new bad guy. We know Jimmy Olsen will likely be onboard, as well as Luthor. But I want to see Luthor get Mercy Graves as a sidekick. I'd also like there to be another female in the daily planet that gets a crush on Clark and tries to court him. I think that would create a nice subplot.

2. Clark Kent needs to be awkward or funny because hes a bad journalist, not because he trips over himself. Maybe he takes really bad photographs, or he simply doesnt know how to tell an interested female in the office no.

3. The film needs a more well defined middle section. Man of Steel felt like a rollercoaster, it went up and up and up building the story and plot and then it just raced down all the way to the conclusion. I want to enjoy the film more without a breakneck pace all the way through, so a meaty middle section where everything slows down with longer scenes of dialogue would be a welcome addition.

4. No comedy relief character. No one character should be funnier then the others.

5. Connect it to the Justice League. If they arent serious about giving Wonder Woman her own movie, then give her a healthy cameo in this film. Either her or the Flash, or someone who they arent planning on giving their own film. If there are no cameos, then connect it to the Justice League somehow, someway.

Last edited by bluearth; 07-05-2013 at 06:22 PM.
bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Default Re: 5 Things you see Necessary for a Good Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
4. No comedy relief character. No one character should be funnier then the others.

Mark Strong as Sinestro
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
HighFivingMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Some damn humor would be a start.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Want to name 5 things you think would make the sequel better then the first?

For me

1. Introduce new characters. Im talking about more then just a new bad guy. We know Jimmy Olsen will likely be onboard, as well as Luthor. But I want to see Luthor get Mercy Graves as a sidekick. I'd also like there to be another female in the daily planet that gets a crush on Clark and tries to court him. I think that would create a nice subplot.

2. Clark Kent needs to be awkward or funny because hes a bad journalist, not because he trips over himself. Maybe he takes really bad photographs, or he simply doesnt know how to tell an interested female in the office no.

3. The film needs a more well defined middle section. Man of Steel felt like a rollercoaster, it went up and up and up building the story and plot and then it just raced down all the way to the conclusion. I want to enjoy the film more without a breakneck pace all the way through, so a meaty middle section where everything slows down with longer scenes of dialogue would be a welcome addition.

5. Connect it to the Justice League. If they arent serious about giving Wonder Woman her own movie, then give her a healthy cameo in this film. Either her or the Flash, or someone who they arent planning on giving their own film. If there are no cameos, then connect it to the Justice League somehow, someway.
If he was a bad journalist he'd get fired, he should be a damn good journalist.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME

Last edited by BH/HHH; 07-05-2013 at 09:04 AM.
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
bluearth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
If he was a bad journalist he'd get fired, he should be a damn good journalist.
OK good point, Im just looking for ways to add humor to the story without it being overly distracting, such as him bumping into everything or being a total dork.

Im going to request a mod to change the thread title to just "Things you see necessary for a good sequel" so we arent tied down to just 5 points

To satisfy all those who complained, acknowledge the damage done to the city, and perhaps have the villain be a product of the destruction. Maybe Metallo lost a limb or two in the carnage and Luthor rebuilt him with Krypton technology, so Metallo has a motive to kill Superman

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
OK good point, Im just looking for ways to add humor to the story without it being overly distracting, such as him bumping into everything or being a total dork.
Humour can come in dialogue ya know, and I think an important thing is not to poke fun at your main character.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Silvermoth
Avenger

1 no zack Snyder
2 undo the ending to man of steel
3 brainiac
4 tell more of the quirky, John Byrne stories about krypton to fill it out.
5. More sexy Cavill.

Silvermoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #9
shanezn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
1 no zack Snyder
2 undo the ending to man of steel
2 things that will never happen.

shanezn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

Yeah, making him bad at his job wouldn't make sense.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Apollo
Canned User

Daily planet job is temporary- Just like his other jobs. This one doesn't last very long. People he works with are going to quickly figure out he is superman. It won't make any sense that he keeps his job at Daily planet for more than a couple weeks.

He should just use his X-ray vision to find Gold and Diamonds at natural hot spots - then never having to work again.

Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
Daily planet job is temporary- Just like his other jobs. This one doesn't last very long. People he works with are going to quickly figure out he is superman. It won't make any sense that he keeps his job at Daily planet for more than a couple weeks.

He should just use his X-ray vision to find Gold and Diamonds at natural hot spots - then never having to work again.
Are you been sarcastic?

Old 07-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

I have a few:

1. A new writer.

2. Superman saving people from disasters (the oil rig scene was so dissapointingly short)... not just stopping an alien invasion.

3. Clark Kent and Lois Lane doing investigative reporting.

4. Lois Lane being a defiant, stubborn, tenacious woman with a dry sense of humour for more than 2 or 3 lines of the film.

5. Superman having at least one powerful, well written conversation about justice. I'd say Lex is a good person to do that with, but TBH i'd be happy with him saying anything about it to anyone.

6. A sense of Metropolis as a setting.

Those would be a good start.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
A&W
Side-Kick

show the people supporting superman! I want to see superman speak directly to the people some how.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Also I think it's good seeing how kids react to him. All through TDK triology they had kids that 'believed in him', and it's a nice touch to include to really easily show the hope and inspiration he's bringing to the world.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 07-07-2013 at 11:07 AM.
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #16
guitarking
Side-Kick

Default Re: Things you see Necessary for a Good Sequel

Quote:
We know Jimmy Olsen will likely be onboard, as well as Luthor.
I thought Jimmy Olsen got a sex change for this series and was now Jenny Olsen.

Anyway, here's my 7 things.

1.John Williams' Superman score. Just because "Returns" wasn't a runaway smash doesn't mean MOS can't have great music.

2.A director more suited to Superman with a proven track record.

3.Supergirl. This series needs her to liven things up.

4.A better writer more suited to Superman with a proven track record.

5.A producer more suited to Superman.

6.Awe inspiring camera work.

7.LESS flashbacks

guitarking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #17
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Please don't bring back music from another series. Maybe in like a brief scene as a mythology gag, but that's it.

If a movie needs Supergirl to liven things up then... well, it needs a script rewrite.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
guitarking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Please don't bring back music from another series.

The Star Trek reboot played the TV theme at the end, the James Bond series used the same theme through 5 different actors, the Hawaii Five O reboot kept their iconic theme. When you have great music, you don't discard it.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #19
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarking View Post
The Star Trek reboot played the TV theme at the end, the James Bond series used the same theme through 5 different actors, the Hawaii Five O reboot kept their iconic theme. When you have great music, you don't discard it.
Right.You can also add The Incredible Hulk using the "Lonely Man" theme from the TV series.The Lone Ranger also is uniquely tied to the William Tell Overture.Can't have him without it.

Problem is,the Williams theme is too inspiring and optimistic for the tone of MOS.It'd stick out like a sore thumb.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #20
guitarking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post

Problem is,the Williams theme is too inspiring and optimistic for the tone of MOS.It'd stick out like a sore thumb.
It's pretty sad that a Superman movie has been made with a tone that is considered not inspiring or optimistic, but that's a whole other discussion. At the very least I feel the Williams theme would have fit during the flying practice scene. That COULD have been epic.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #21
storyteller
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Right.You can also add The Incredible Hulk using the "Lonely Man" theme from the TV series.The Lone Ranger also is uniquely tied to the William Tell Overture.Can't have him without it.

I strongly disagree, the new score is optimistic and inspiring. It just doesn't shout it at your face that the big hero is going to save the Fing day. The MOS theme inspires in a different way. It keeps urging Superman to go beyond himself. It urges him to push beyond his limits. It says that in the crowd is the hero and he's going to get him and everyone else to fly.

Mos though is all about how this stuff isn't easy though. CR Superman never had to deal with being different as Superman. Yeah he got bullied as a kid but his inability to get Lana and such was his own damn fault(and her poor choice in men).

The movie just says that you gotta earn trust and love and it wont just be handed to you because you can fly.

Jimmy I think shouldn't be some dork who can't stand for himself. If Jimmy was actually teen then I could buy him being a little skiddish(and hey maybe he should be an actual teen intern). But if he's like 24......no. I sorta like the earth one Jimmy who has that youth and adventureness missing from Clark and co but he's still grounded as being somewhat mature young man. This guy could hold down a job and has so much potential. The only thing in his way that he has to survive living in the DC universe.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #22
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

Undo the ending?

Oh, okay. Yes, let's start MOS 2 with Clark waking up on Zod's ship and realizing that everything in the last 40 minutes of MOS was a dream. That won't piss anyone off.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #23
shanezn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Undo the ending?

Oh, okay. Yes, let's start MOS 2 with Clark waking up on Zod's ship and realizing that everything in the last 40 minutes of MOS was a dream. That won't piss anyone off.
Yeah, I'm not sure what Silvermoth was actually thinking with that request. The ending basically establishes why Supe's will now have a "no killing" rule.

shanezn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

1.Have Superman as "the people's hero".Supe is the guy we look up to because he's what we aspire to be.We've already had two movies of him moping and looking for his "place" in the world.Enough melodrama.Embrace his optimism,and his belief in truth,justice and (gasp!) the American way.

2.Give him a strong duel identity.If they hope to do the Clark persona any justice,it's imperative that Cavill play him differently from Supe.Reeve did this well,and I expect no less from Cavill.I'm not saying he has to be fall-down klutzy,but he's got to be the guy no one suspects.Play that aspect up.

3.Introduce Jimmy.He should've been in MOS instead of Jenny.Take some time to develop the Planet's staff and comradery.

4.It kinda goes without saying,a little humor & a lighter touch would go far.

5.Have him actually called Superman,freely and openly.This sorta goes without saying,but one never knows.

I also would like the Williams theme (One can dream...).

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #25
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Undo the ending?