The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 07-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
batman1
Side-Kick

Default Christian Bale

Best Batman ever. Loved the character development Nolan put him through. I never knew Batman was so trouble before the series and the dkr for sure.

batman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
JackWhite
Third Man

Default Re: Christian Bale

Bruce/Batman has always been an extremely troubled character, but that's why we love him.

But yeah, Bale was beyond amazing as both Batman/Bruce Wayne. It was really a treat to see him portray the character three times in three different ways.

JackWhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
batman1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Bruce/Batman has always been an extremely troubled character, but that's why we love him.

But yeah, Bale was beyond amazing as both Batman/Bruce Wayne. It was really a treat to see him portray the character three times in three different ways.

What you said.

batman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
VictoriaR85
Side-Kick

Christian Bale was perfect for TDK trilogy. Admittedly, I did not know who he was before Batman Begins. But I liked him right away in those first few minutes of Batman Begins. Bale brought out the many qualities of Bruce Wayne/Batman. From someone who's anger fueld his desire to use the tragedy of his past to bring good to Gotham in a very unconventional way... to a man struggled with himself before finally accomplishing what he set out to do, we truly got to see all aspects of who Bruce Wayne is.

And yes, he is a flawed character that has suffered a good deal, and his ways of restoring Gotham and inspiring others are done in ways that work outside of the law. But ultimately, he becomes the hero we all want him to be. I think that is why we relate to him. Sure, he's also a billionaire playboy, and most of us can't sympathize with that. But he's also human, and his struggles can mirror our own and make him an inspiration.

VictoriaR85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaR85 View Post
Christian Bale was perfect for TDK trilogy. Admittedly, I did not know who he was before Batman Begins. But I liked him right away in those first few minutes of Batman Begins. Bale brought out the many qualities of Bruce Wayne/Batman. From someone who's anger fueld his desire to use the tragedy of his past to bring good to Gotham in a very unconventional way... to a man struggled with himself before finally accomplishing what he set out to do, we truly got to see all aspects of who Bruce Wayne is.

And yes, he is a flawed character that has suffered a good deal, and his ways of restoring Gotham and inspiring others are done in ways that work outside of the law. But ultimately, he becomes the hero we all want him to be. I think that is why we relate to him. Sure, he's also a billionaire playboy, and most of us can't sympathize with that. But he's also human, and his struggles can mirror our own and make him an inspiration.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Great Bruce Wayne. Piss poor Batman. I don't blame Bale because he's a fantastic actor, but damn why did Nolan allow that ridiculous voice?

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #7
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
Great Bruce Wayne. Piss poor Batman. I don't blame Bale because he's a fantastic actor, but damn why did Nolan allow that ridiculous voice?
Allow? It was likely Nolan's idea. And, IMO, it wasn't ridiculous at all.

*splat*
Bathead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
Allow? It was likely Nolan's idea. And, IMO, it wasn't ridiculous at all.
It was alright in BB, but pretty ridiculous in TDK/TDKR. They took it a bit too far over the top.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
kvz5
HBIC

LOVE him as both Bruce and Batman.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
rickfox
Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
love him as both bruce and batman.
+1....

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Christian Bale is my favourite Bruce Wayne and Batman. I like B89 and BR, but I was a jaded fan for a long time after that. Batman Begins came out and I ate it up. The sight of the big TDK Returns style Batmobile, Batman again presented as a cloaked mystery man atop skyscrapers.

Bale was a large reason as to why I enjoyed BB, and the trilogy, so much. For me, he got across the public persona of Bruce the best. One moment he’s in the cave with a sedated Rachel, next minute he’s taking off his mask and slipping into ‘playboy Bruce’ mode. His mind is elsewhere but he perseveres with the act, all leading up to his drunken leave me alone speech, which is priceless.

I enjoyed his animalistic, bordering on out of control Batman. For example the interrogation in TDK with Joker, dealing with Flass, Maroni and also with Bane. Some may not like all that TDK Rises did, but at least Bale Bat got an ending which was planned and didn’t just stop abruptly, which can be said of other Batman incarnations, and indeed, other superhero characters.

Christian Bale left his mark on the character. He won't be forgotten.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2

Last edited by AnneFan; 07-21-2013 at 11:25 PM.
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #12
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Christian Bale is my favourite Bruce Wayne and Batman. I like B89 and BR, but I was a jaded fan for a long time after that. Batman Begins came out and I ate it up. The sight of the big TDK Returns style Batmobile, Batman again presented as a cloaked mystery man atop skyscrapers.

Bale was a large reason as to why I enjoyed BB, and the trilogy, so much. For me, he got across the public persona of Bruce the best. One moment he’s in the cave with a sedated Rachel, next minute he’s taking off his mask and slipping into ‘playboy Bruce’ mode. His mind is elsewhere but he perseveres with the act, all leading up to his drunken leave me alone speech, which is priceless.

I enjoyed his animalistic, bordering on out of control Batman. For example the interrogation in TDK with Joker, dealing with Flass, Maroni and also with Bane. Some may not like all that TDK Rises did, but at least Bale Bat got an ending which was planned and didn’t just stop abruptly, which can be said of other Batman incarnations, and indeed, other superhero characters.

Christian Bale left his mark on the character. He won't be forgotten.
Couldn't have said it much better. I'll add I think his performance as Bruce Wayne/Batman in The Dark Knight is easily the most underrated performance in a comic book film and one of the more underrated performances in recent years. I say this for one major reason: Its harder to play the straight man. In comedy back in the day, the straight man always got the most money because he set up all the jokes and really was the anchor that held the team together. Bale is this in TDK. Sure, his Batman has over-the-top moments, but for the most part, he PERFECTLY counter's Ledger's legendary performance with the perfect set-up performance and it perfectly fit Batman and the relationship these two characters have.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I think we've yet to see the ideal Batman onscreen....that being said, Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne is my favorite character in the trilogy.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
VictoriaR85
Side-Kick

I think I preferred his voice in TDKR. It seemed like a blend of BB and TDK, which I thought was a happy medium between the two.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #15
Happy Jack
Iconographer

The voice was only problematic in Knight, and that was less Bale's fault and more the crew's post-production altering. They probably did something similar in the other films but it didn't come off nearly as grating.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #16
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

The voice was worse in Rises. Nothing tops the where's the trigger scene.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
ChrisB
Batman News

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
The voice was worse in Rises. Nothing tops the where's the trigger scene.
I thought the voice was a lot better in Rises...except for the "where's the trigger?!" scene. That sounded like a Bale Batman voice parody you'd see on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc

Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
I thought the voice was a lot better in Rises...except for the "where's the trigger?!" scene. That sounded like a Bale Batman voice parody you'd see on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc
Man I laughed that scene. I was like "Really?" it brought that silly voice back from TDK.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #19
shauner111
Side-Kick

I love that scene. The worst case of it was in TDK with the "these people just showed you.." line.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #20
Schrute
Side-Kick

I laughed soooooo hard at "WHEREZ THUH TRIIIIGERRAAA!!!!" I know I wasn't supposed to, but that made it even funnier.

Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #21
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrute View Post
I laughed soooooo hard at "WHEREZ THUH TRIIIIGERRAAA!!!!" I know I wasn't supposed to, but that made it even funnier.
The fact that he shouts that line over and over, punctuating repeatedly how absurd it sounds makes it even worse.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #22
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

The "this city just showed you" line is over the top, but at least it's meant be a dramatic moment and he's sort of out of breath. Still gets a laugh whenever I watch it with people though.

I think the worst scene for the voice is actually in the bank vault when he's talking to Gordon. You can really hear the post alteration going on there, it's way too gravelly. On top of that the BB suit just looks weird in that lighting, and it's made worse by the fact that Bale didn't fill out the suit as well as before. Just an awkward scene for Batman all around, haha.

Still love Bale as Bats' though, and I like the voice more often than not. There are a lot of times when he really does sound badass, as intended.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #23
VictoriaR85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think the worst scene for the voice is actually in the bank vault when he's talking to Gordon. You can really hear the post alteration going on there, it's way too gravelly. On top of that the BB suit just looks weird in that lighting, and it's made worse by the fact that Bale didn't fill out the suit as well as before. Just an awkward scene for Batman all around, haha.
The suit DID look really weird in the bank vault lighting. For some reason I think of Alec Baldwin when I watch that scene. That, or a penguin of some sort.

Last edited by VictoriaR85; 07-18-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #24
TheDarkKnight08
genius

I maintain that seeing him in the cafe at the end of TDKR was probably one of the most gratifying scenes in a movie I've ever seen. The crowd I first saw it with went nuts and it was nice seeing someone write an ending for Batman that wasn't shrouded in tragedy and death. He got his happy ending, and he earned it.

As for the voice? I love it. Sometimes it was a bit too much, but it fit this particular version. I really don't wanna see anyone else try it.

If any character has ever earned the right to enjoy a happy retirement, it is Bruce Wayne. Nolan ought to be commended for caring enough about the character and believing enough in his own vision to provide a definitive, satisfying ending to the story of an ordinary man who turned tragedy into the motivation to accomplish something extraordinary.
TheDarkKnight08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The "this city just showed you" line is over the top, but at least it's meant be a dramatic moment and he's sort of out of breath. Still gets a laugh whenever I watch it with people though.

Still love Bale as Bats' though, and I like the voice more often than not. There are a lot of times when he really does sound badass, as intended.
I actually love how it sounds there.

I remember the first time I saw TDK in the cinema back in 2008 (best cinema experience so far for myself btw), the way the voice sounds really makes him sound like..."something elemental, something terrifying". Well, not exactly terrifying, to be sure, but I feel they definitely got the elemental part across in that scene and it works really well. To me, he sounds like something more than human in that scene.

And I think this illustrates just how differently the voice is perceived in different circles - I remember cringeing the first time I heard "This city just showed you..." line, but every time I watch TDK now, I can't help but saying to myself that it's definitely not as bad as people make it out to be. And to further illustrate this point, I think the voice was at its worst in TDKR. I'm not even talking about the 'where's the trigger' line, which is fine, considering the anger and just sheer adrenaline that was going through him when kicking the crap out of Bane. But the 'I can get it out over the bay' line just grinds my gears, almost every time I watch the movie.

In any case, the 'voice issue' doesn't make or break Bale's Batman. It sounds fine most of the time, even great on some occasions. I also really love it in the Joker interrogation scene and at the end of TDK, where it's more whispery and solemn. At the end of the day, the inconsistency, if you will, of Bale's Batvoice won't take away from all the other great things he brought to the role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
Couldn't have said it much better. I'll add I think his performance as Bruce Wayne/Batman in The Dark Knight is easily the most underrated performance in a comic book film and one of the more underrated performances in recent years. I say this for one major reason: Its harder to play the straight man. In comedy back in the day, the straight man always got the most money because he set up all the jokes and really was the anchor that held the team together. Bale is this in TDK. Sure, his Batman has over-the-top moments, but for the most part, he PERFECTLY counter's Ledger's legendary performance with the perfect set-up performance and it perfectly fit Batman and the relationship these two characters have.
Nailed it, dude.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is online now   Reply With Quote