The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
HerosOnFilm
Side-Kick

Default What didn't you like about the film?

Personally, I thought it was very well done and I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Couple things I didn't like...by no means deal breakers but:

1. Wish we saw Logan know more about the culture, such as knowing when to bow, etc.

2. His fighting style is unique, but it would have been good to see Logan with some more martial arts moves, at least self-defense wise. Seems like he gets cut up to hell then beats the baddie.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Default Re: What didn't you like about the film?

'Didn't like' may be too strong of a statement, but there are a couple of things that i wish were different about the movie.

-The third act. While i didn't have a real problem with it, i wish it could've been done differently.

-The Ninja fight. They showed this foght on all the trailers, and what we got on the film was only a fraction.What were they thinking when they cut it from the final product? It could've been a fight scene that rivals the bullet train scene...

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
-The Ninja fight. They showed this foght on all the trailers, and what we got on the film was only a fraction.What were they thinking when they cut it from the final product? It could've been a fight scene that rivals the bullet train scene...
From what we're hearing, it may have put the PG-13 at risk.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
-The third act. While i didn't have a real problem with it, i wish it could've been done differently.

Same here!

and Harada.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Double B
Side-Kick

I think we lacked a swordfight with Logan and yeah, I would have loved a little more cultural stuff. However, I must say, I was shocked by how big a presence the culture actually was in the film. I remember watching the trailers and agreeing with many on here than the spirit of sights of Japan just didn't seem to come across, but it was a real presence in the film. Like a character itself.

Also, the lack of ninja fight. I want to see it, and it should have been in the movie.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
Arawn Fenn
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
I think we lacked a swordfight with Logan
If you had adamantium claws why would you even bother to use a sword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpati
I wanted Wolverine's Japan background.
That was the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss
What were they thinking when they cut it from the final product?
Maybe they were thinking "these suckers won't know it's not in the film until it's too late and then we can use it to sell more copies of the unrated DVD".

Last edited by Arawn Fenn; 08-04-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Arawn Fenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Shpati
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn Fenn View Post
That was the hole.
Cool, so instead of Wolverine's awesome background in Japan, we got one scene with him in a hole.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
Shpati
Side-Kick

Everything. This movie sucked. I honestly liked Origins better. That was at least a fun first watch.

I wanted Wolverine's Japan background. Not his revisit. The characters were very tastless. I didn't care for them.

At least in the first one Sabertooth was pretty badass.

This whole X Men series needs a reboot. Too many directors and writers trying to tie their stories into one continuity.

Wolverine was only badass in the first and second x men movie.

Hugh is too old. I see why they made this movie take place in modern Japan.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Taka
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpati View Post

I wanted Wolverine's Japan background. Not his revisit. The characters were very tastless. I didn't care for them.
Are you saying you wanted a prequel movie instead? The comic series that this film is inspired by is about Logan revisiting Japan, only in that series he already had an established relationship with Mariko which wouldn't have really fit with this film's timeline so they made his reasons for going back to Japan different. In terms of character though, I thought this was easily the best Wolverine we've ever seen on screen, with X2 being in second place.

Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
Shpati
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taka View Post
Are you saying you wanted a prequel movie instead? The comic series that this film is inspired by is about Logan revisiting Japan, only in that series he already had an established relationship with Mariko which wouldn't have really fit with this film's timeline so they made his reasons for going back to Japan different. In terms of character though, I thought this was easily the best jfh we've ever seen on screen, with X2 being in second place.
yes, a prequel. Just look at the movie title. "the wolverine". I was expecting where wolverine learned his fighting arts. Why he went to Japan in the first place. And why he left. etc.

Everything about this movie felt like an origins movie with the exception of it actually taking place after x3. There was even a scene where he goes "I'm the wolverine". The cliche line for any super hero origin movie ("I'm batman", "its Spiderman!").

Its obivious they changed it to a revisit story at the last minute due to dofp.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
yes, a prequel. Just look at the movie title. "the wolverine". I was expecting where wolverine learned his fighting arts. Why he went to Japan in the first place. And why he left. etc.

Everything about this movie felt like an origins movie with the exception of it actually taking place after x3. There was even a scene where he goes "I'm the wolverine". The cliche line for any super hero origin movie ("I'm batman", "its Spiderman!").

Its obivious they changed it to a revisit story at the last minute due to dofp.
No, "The Wolverine" line wasn't about an origin. After Logan saved Yashida in Nagasaki, Yashida told the story of what happened in the years that followed, referring to Logan as "the Kuzuri", which means "the Wolverine."

His son never really bought it, but according to Mariko, he used to tell her about "the Kuzuri" when she had a nightmare, saying the Kuzuri would protect her. It was like a fantasy character in a children's story to her. When she sees Logan fighting off the assassins at the funeral, with his claws out and surviving injuries, she actually looks at him and says, "Kuzuri...", because she realizes that this was the person her grandfather told her about.

But Logan is so wracked with guilt over killing Jean, that when Mariko tells him this story later and asks who Jean was, he explains that he'd killed Jean and the Kuzuri along with her.

When Shingen takes on Logan and asks what kind of monster he is because he can't believe what he sees, he says "The Wolverine", because he's telling Shingen that he's the guy Yashida had told him stories about. And that he better watch the **** out, because he's pissed. That he'll survive whatever gets thrown at him, and he'll protect Mariko. He basically became the guy in Yashida's story then.

It's not an origin line, it's about Logan fighting his way back to the person he's meant to be.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
speno94
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
No, "The Wolverine" line wasn't about an origin. After Logan saved Yashida in Nagasaki, Yashida told the story of what happened in the years that followed, referring to Logan as "the Kuzuri", which means "the Wolverine."

His son never really bought it, but according to Mariko, he used to tell her about "the Kuzuri" when she had a nightmare, saying the Kuzuri would protect her. It was like a fantasy character in a children's story to her. When she sees Logan fighting off the assassins at the funeral, with his claws out and surviving injuries, she actually looks at him and says, "Kuzuri...", because she realizes that this was the person her grandfather told her about.

But Logan is so wracked with guilt over killing Jean, that when Mariko tells him this story later and asks who Jean was, he explains that he'd killed Jean and the Kuzuri along with her.

When Shingen takes on Logan and asks what kind of monster he is because he can't believe what he sees, he says "The Wolverine", because he's telling Shingen that he's the guy Yashida had told him stories about. And that he better watch the **** out, because he's pissed. That he'll survive whatever gets thrown at him, and he'll protect Mariko. He basically became the guy in Yashida's story then.

It's not an origin line, it's about Logan fighting his way back to the person he's meant to be.
This just made me love the movie even more haha. When you think about it, there are quite a lot of deep undertones in this film, especially when you read it in a quote like that.

speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
diabolicalbits

Quote:
Everything. This movie sucked. I honestly liked Origins better. That was at least a fun first watch.

At least in the first one Sabertooth was pretty badass.

This whole X Men series needs a reboot. Too many directors and writers trying to tie their stories into one continuity.

Wolverine was only badass in the first and second x men movie.

Hugh is too old. I see why they made this movie take place in modern Japan.
I totally agree. Besides, I didn't like it that he had a new love interest when he hadn't forget Jean. I mean going from protection to love is so cliché. Does every movie need romance?

diabolicalbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolicalbits View Post
I totally agree. Besides, I didn't like it that he had a new love interest when he hadn't forget Jean. I mean going from protection to love is so cliché. Does every movie need romance?
Romance is a huge element of the specific story that was being adapted. It would have been bad to not include it.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe they were thinking "these suckers won't know it's not in the film until it's too late and then we can use it to sell more copies of the unrated DVD".
Could be. But i doubt it. I think it's more along the lines of having a huge fight so close to the final third act or the last fight.

Maybe Mangold will explain this in the DVD commentary. Curious as to what his reasoing were for cutting that fight scene.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
J_Howlett
Side-Kick

Quote:
Could be. But i doubt it. I think it's more along the lines of having a huge fight so close to the final third act or the last fight.

Maybe Mangold will explain this in the DVD commentary. Curious as to what his reasoing were for cutting that fight scene.
He already gave his reasoning, the fight was too violent for PG-13.

J_Howlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

^^ Oh! i didn;t know that!

Well, now i can't wait for the DVD!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #18
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
^^ Oh! i didn;t know that!

Well, now i can't wait for the DVD!!!
Yes, from what we've been gathering...the fight also involved Yukio, there was at least one explosion, Logan lighting up his cigar in the middle of that somewhere, and according to an article in EW, Logan getting trapped in a net and dragged by a scooter.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
Arawn Fenn
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Yes, from what we've been gathering...the fight also involved Yukio, there was at least one explosion, Logan lighting up his cigar in the middle of that somewhere, and according to an article in EW, Logan getting trapped in a net and dragged by a scooter.
None of which sounds like it wouldn't fit in a PG-13 film.

Arawn Fenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #20
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Yet, apparently it did.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #21
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Maybe not on it's own, but in a film that already has a few f-bombs and other points of bad language, possibly some of the most violent fights we've have in the X-Men movie series yet, and a scene where Logan becomes charred by an atomic bomb and is nearly nothing more than a skeleton with charred flesh, they were already pushing the PG-13 limits as it was, so adding much more might have lost the rating.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #22
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Jeez...i swear if those scenes WERE in the movie,we probably would have a better BO result. We, Wolverine fans love the movie as is, and to an extent so does the GA. But one common complain the GA have is the movie lack of action.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

- That Wolverine cuts himself to release his claws, and yet he never seems to bleed when he lost his healing factor. WTH?

- The entire third act.

- The ninja fight not existing.

- Viper. That they seemed to dub her showed a massive misstep imo.

- Making Jean seem as if she is Logan's great love. Weird.

- A few of the fight scenes early on were hard to follow at times. Not major though.

- Not a big deal, but I didn't like the foreshadowing of the finale so early. It felt like the big glowing sign from Beetlejuce. This will happen!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Nothing that was so bad that I didn't like it.

But, I think the whole aspect with Yashida being the Silver Samurai isn't exactly what I would have wanted. I didn't like that they made Yukio a mutant. I'd have preferred that she wasn't.

Honestly, nothing really. Like I've said before, the biggest thing against this film for me is that I don't have much personal attachment to the comic arc being adapted. But I'm glad they adapted it so faithfully.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #25
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Only thing I didnt like was the way they handled Silver Samurai, I was lookin forward to them doing him justice as the character from the comics...Instead we got a completely different character.

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote