The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Spider-Man 2 20 23.26%
The Dark Knight 66 76.74%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,125
Default TDK vs SM2

Generally considered to be the best films in their respective franchises so far. Which is better? Or did they both suck?
SM2 was not as great as I remember it after a rewatch. I think TDK is the only CBM that has elevated itself above the genre.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Spider-man 2 is very good. Excellent I'd say, but TDK is just a masterpiece. Spider-man 2 had some little problems for me, mostly those annoying scenes such as the elevator one or the usher routine, where a joke that should have been simple and light turns into a never-ending tortuous overstretched tour of cringe-worthy dullness. Other than that, SM2 is pure fun and a good bunch of great character-driven scenes. Not to mention that clock tower/train sequence which is simply perfection.

But TDK had everything right and then beyond that. It simply created a new thing for superhero movies in almost every sense.

We're talking about two giants here.

Spider-man 2 : 4.5/5
The Dark Knight: 5/5

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Spider-man 2 is very good. Excellent I'd say, but TDK is just a masterpiece. Spider-man 2 had some little problems for me, mostly those annoying scenes such as the elevator one or the usher routine, where a joke that should have been simple and light turns into a never-ending tortuous overstretched tour of cringe-worthy dullness. Other than that, SM2 is pure fun and a good bunch of great character-driven scenes. Not to mention that clock tower/train sequence which is simply perfection.

But TDK had everything right and then beyond that. It simply created a new thing for superhero movies in almost every sense.

We're talking about two giants here.

Spider-man 2 : 4.5/5
The Dark Knight: 5/5
You don't even like Rami Spidey lol

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
You don't even like Rami Spidey lol
I didn't like the first much and the third was incredibly bad. But SM2 was excellent. So well, when talking about the overall franchise my opinion is not very good, but SM2 was.

Alas, if only Raimi had done more scenes like the one with Peter talking to Aunt May about Ben's death instead of so many unnecessary (and failed) attempts at comedy...

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Ipodman
Love Tension
 
Ipodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,248
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Spider-Man 2 by far. Alfred Molina as Doc Ock is just as good, might even be better than Heath Ledger's Joker. And not to mention, SM2 has some of the very best action scenes not only in a superhero movie, but in any movie.

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Mary Jane was a choir to watch and Peter stayed pre-bite Spidey in his collage years for the first hour or so of the film.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
Mary Jane was a choir to watch and Peter stayed pre-bite Spidey in his collage years for the first hour or so of the film.
Wait a sec. So you liked SM2 less than I did?

At least this time it was clearly explained why MJ and Peter had their problems. In SM1 nothing is said as to why MJ seems so interested in Peter, having so many boyfriends with either an athletic body or lots of money. In SM3 we never get to know why Peter decided it was cool to kiss another girl in front of his fiancee. And then he was all whiny because she didn't seem too enthusiastic.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 15,146
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Spider-man 2 I swat about 10-11 years old? Unfortunately time (even if it hasn't been that long) has not been kind to it, it just comes across rather cheesy nowadays. I'd say the film is really overrated in my opinion. Watching it then and now this was never Spider-Man to me, he's never wise cracking for one. But still it's decent but it's not as good as first thought.

The Dark Knight is a far better film but I actually think its a little overrated aswell.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Spider-man 2 I swat about 10-11 years old? Unfortunately time (even if it hasn't been that long) has not been kind to it, it just comes across rather cheesy nowadays. I'd say the film is really overrated in my opinion. Watching it then and now this was never Spider-Man to me, he's never wise cracking for one. But still it's decent but it's not as good as first thought.

The Dark Knight is a far better film but I actually think its a little overrated aswell.
I was 30 when SM2 came out and, believe me, some of it felt cheesey back then. But then again that was Raimi's approach, he wanted it that way. And it worked (at least at the BO), until Nolan came and showed that cheese is not always the best solution.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 15,146
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
I was 30 when SM2 came out and, believe me, some of it felt cheesey back then. But then again that was Raimi's approach, he wanted it that way. And it worked (at least at the BO), until Nolan came and showed that cheese is not always the best solution.
Well tbh I didn't notice it as much back then, but now it's really noticeable I think due to what's come after it.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Well tbh I didn't notice it as much back then, but now it's really noticeable I think due to what's come after it.
Yeah, the thing is I was old enough to spot it as I had been familiar to it when I had seen the 1966 Batman TV show or the Wonder Woman TV series.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 38,010
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

I love them both. But no CBM movie tops TDK.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
CyclopsWasRight
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,368
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

^ TDK doesn't feel like a CBM, it's more of a crime drama

I voeted SM2 because pretty much everything is done right in that movie. TDK again has nearly everything right but is quite a downer, where as SM2 is an upper

CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 38,010
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
^ TDK doesn't feel like a CBM, it's more of a crime drama
That's part of it's brilliance. It's a CBM movie that has a gritty crime drama feel to it with blatantly comic book looking characters in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
So Nolan killed camp?

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:58 AM   #15
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!
 
Doc Ock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma, US
Posts: 8,076
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

No comic book movie has a chance against the popularity of The Dark Knight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
That's part of it's brilliance. It's a CBM movie that has a gritty crime drama feel to it with blatantly comic book looking characters in it.
That's a nice way to put!

__________________
Hail HydraSinestro!
The Winter Soldier - 9/10 | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 6.5/10 | Days of Future Past - 9/10 | TMNT - ???? | Guardians of the Galaxy - 10/10
Doc Ock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Dude Peter was a pushover in the first half.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,467
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

I used to really love Spidey 2. Looking back, I was 16 when it came out, which really is like the perfect age to enjoy Spider-Man, which is essentially a coming of age story. The awkwardness, the angst, wanting the girl that's impossibly out of reach, etc. All of that stuff really resonated at the time and the second film had it all in spades.

But now, it just kinda feels like a lot of melodrama and sappiness. And some really cringe-worthy lines ("Punch me I bleed!"). There is some GREAT action in this film (the train sequence is still one of the best superhero action setpieces put to film) and that's one of the big redeeming qualities for me. Doc Ock is a great visual villain, but that's kind of it for me. I don't think they sell his tragic arc all that well (the inhibitor chip thing is such a copout), nor do I even think Doc Ock needs to be a tragic character in the first place. Molina did fine with what he was given, but I still would put Dafoe's performance above his.

I still think it's a good movie, and a very good superhero movie actually, but when stacked against a film like TDK that's so much more than a CBM it inevitably pales in comparison.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #18
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I used to really love Spidey 2. Looking back, I was 16 when it came out, which really is like the perfect age to enjoy Spider-Man, which is essentially a coming of age story. The awkwardness, the angst, wanting the girl that's impossibly out of reach, etc. All of that stuff really resonated at the time and the second film had it all in spades.

But now, it just kinda feels like a lot of melodrama and sappiness. And some really cringe-worthy lines ("Punch me I bleed!"). There is some GREAT action in this film (the train sequence is still one of the best superhero action setpieces put to film) and that's one of the big redeeming qualities for me. Doc Ock is a great visual villain, but that's kind of it for me. I don't think they sell his tragic arc all that well (the inhibitor chip thing is such a copout), nor do I even think Doc Ock needs to be a tragic character in the first place. Molina did fine with what he was given, but I still would put Dafoe's performance above his.

I still think it's a good movie, and a very good superhero movie actually, but when stacked against a film like TDK that's so much more than a CBM it inevitably pales in comparison.
This. Though changing Ock worked in the context of the film.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
Victarion
Cut
 
Victarion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,604
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

The Dark Knight. Joker, Batman's development and the inversion on the typical comic book love story put it head and shoulders over SM2.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toll The Hounds
“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
And some really cringe-worthy lines ("Punch me I bleed!").
...Oh god. I totally forgot about that. Wow, damn... wow.

I think I maybe need to go back to SM2 and re-evaluate how much credit I've given it over the years.

__________________
Why do we fall?
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #21
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,946
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
...Oh god. I totally forgot about that. Wow, damn... wow.

I think I maybe need to go back to SM2 and re-evaluate how much credit I've given it over the years.
There is some really cheesy crap in that movie. I was whining about it for years. People jumped on the bandwagon when Raimi took it over the top with SM3, but the seeds were already there with the first two movies (especially SM2). That being said, I do like SM1/SM2. In SM2's case, I love Molina's performance and the action scenes are great.


Last edited by redfirebird2008; 08-26-2013 at 07:34 PM.
redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #22
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
There is some really cheesy crap in that movie. I was whining about it for years. People jumped on the bandwagon when Raimi took it over the top with SM3, but the seeds were already there with the first two movies (especially SM2).
Regardless of interpretation, SM2 did some amazing things. I felt it showed the gritty aspect of superhero life well.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,946
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
Regardless of interpretation, SM2 did some amazing things. I felt it showed the gritty aspect of superhero life well.
That was good, I guess. They'd ruin it every 10 minutes by having one of Aunt May's awful scenes. My favorite things about the movie are Molina's performance and the action sequences. Probably top 3 in the genre along with X2 and Avengers when it comes to really well-executed action scenes.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #24
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

So Nolan killed camp?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #25
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
So Nolan killed camp?
Camp will never die, but Nolan made the situation more difficult for those who used camp and cheese as the easy way to tell stories. I thank him.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.