The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - Part 15

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Great Mind(s)
Broken
 
Great Mind(s)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Posts: 4,018
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - Part 15

I don't think Dofp should be the end, it's just the end of one timeline. This is time travel, its not going to happen without some changes otherwise whats the point? The OT is relevant because it leads to the end, DOFP. BUT, in that end there is a new beginning.

If they make a new OT era movie afterwards, it will be a reminder of everything that happened originally because if the OT never happened it wouldn't have led to the Sentinels which led to the past altering that led to the new timeline.

This is better than a reboot IMO because these actors are the characters. At least some of them are finally grown into their roles like Paquin. And its cool because its time travel. The OT had to happen the way it did in order for DOFP to happen. So it still exists in the continuity as the glue that holds the whole universe together.

Also there is a difference with the comic because the future in the comic was brand new world where as the future in the movie is our classic characters and the past is a different animal entirely. In the comic they did alter the future because its 2013 now in the comics and its not days of future past

And the Trek 09 movie isn't relevant. That was a cop out to reboot the series without upsetting fans. It was all recasting... And the villain and time travel story were random and not based on anything from before. This on the other hand has been building since X1 and is based off a classic comic. And the younger characters already exist in their own movie. Its a brilliant move I think


Last edited by Great Mind(s); 11-13-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Great Mind(s) is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 9,989
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I don't think Dofp should be the end, it's just the end of one timeline. This is time travel, its not going to happen without some changes otherwise whats the point? The OT is relevant because it leads to the end, DOFP. BUT, in that end there is a new beginning.

If they make a new OT era movie afterwards, it will be a reminder of everything that happened originally because if the OT never happened it wouldn't have led to the Sentinels which led to the past altering that led to the new timeline.

This is better than a reboot IMO because these actors are the characters. At least some of them are finally grown into their roles like Paquin. And its cool because its time travel. The OT had to happen the way it did in order for DOFP to happen. So it still exists in the continuity as the glue that holds the whole universe together.

Also there is a difference with the comic because the future in the comic was brand new world where as the future in the movie is our classic characters and the past is a different animal entirely. In the comic they did alter the future because its 2013 now in the comics and its not days of future past
I remain very very skeptical of doing anything with OT cast besides Hugh Jackman If rumors pan out
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Magneto never being villain Is much more drastic.Except for FC sequels how can they be called sequels If films never happened


If rumors pan out this Is semi reboot keeping only FC and 1973 parts of DOFP.
Anything else Is mostly gone.Maybe the pre 1973 parts of Origins and the
wolverine might still exsist but that's It.

__________________
Best Comic Book films-Superman X2 X-Men Days of Future Past The Amazing Spider-Man Batman Returns X-Men Batman Captain America The Winter Soldier The Wolverine The Dark Knight
marvelrobbins is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Cherry
Side-Kick
 
Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 410
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post

Because lets me absolutely 100% honest right now - NO ONE, outside of these or other fanboy boards - were clamoring for the original actors to come back and I love the original cast.
That's not true AT ALL in my neck of the woods. None of my friends (nor my parents for that matter) are X-junkies like me, and they are way more excited for DOFP than the last three films because of the original cast coming back. They all seem to agree that FOX shouldn't do anymore prequels.

I certainly don't speak for everyone, but there certainly are general filmgoers clamoring for the return of the OT cast.

Cherry is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 44,957
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
The day X-Men reboots is the day I stop having an emotional investment in the series, as it will be obvious that the series will no longer be treated with credibility.
I don't think we have ever talked before, I don't really know anything about you, so can you answer a question for me......how old are you. This is not meant to be a joke or snide. I really want to know your age, because I feel things like that effect how people see things. Me....I'm old. I'm 56 years old. Been watching all kinds of movies and TV shows for decades. I've seen many many franchises get rebooted (most likely most of them you and others on here have never seen or heard of)....and rarely feel that the "reboot" is something to really get upset about.

Some examples:
I was introduced to TARZAN by the Weismuller films. He made 12 of them. The first six at MGM with a certain continuity and feel (basicly serious with humor thrown in). The last 6 at RKO with a different continuity and feel (lower budgets, less noteworthy supporting cast, less serious, more humor ect...) it was like a reboot, not as good (in my opinion) but still enjoyable. Then I discovered the 5 movie TARZAN series starring Lex Barker. A reboot with new Tarzan, Jane, and supporting cast. His son, named Boy, was now removed from the series and the series given an overall lighter tone. Then the next reboot with Gordon Scott. He made 6 movies which were all over the place. The first couple were serious fare where Tarzan was a loner getting into adventures, then the next 2 he now had Jane and Boy with him, and the last 2 he was again a loner in serious gritty films. This continued on with several actors making multiple Tarzan movies and a nice TV series and such. I have enjoyed all of them to some extent (even though after first discovering him in the movies, I then read the books and he is a totally different from anything filmed)....should I have given up on anything made after the Weismuller films? Afterall, I saw them first, they were originally my definative version....there were so many things I would have missed out on if I had given up.

The same with James Bond. I have seen every Bond movie at the theater on it's first run. Should I have never tried to watch Daniel Craig because I started with Sean Connery, and for years he was the best Bond you could imagine? There have been good and bad Bond films. They have made major changes in tone and content over the decades....but they are still worth going to see. He's changed over the years from spy, to gadget master, to gimmick of the moment guy, and now back to spy.

I won't even get into some of the other franchises I have watched over the decades like The Falcon, the Saint, Mr. Moto, the Mysterious Mr. Wong, Green Hornet, Superman, Batman, Captain America......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I have happily not seen Incredible Hulk, Man of Steel, Amazing Spiderman, Total Recall, Star Trek, or any other reboot in theaters, and I will be happily adding Amazing Spiderman 2, RoboCop, the eventual Terminator reboot, Batman v. Superman, the eventual Fantastic 4 reboot to my reboot boycott. And I couldn't feel happier for it.
I have to question the "happiness" part. Anyone who excludes so many "fun" movies from their lives over petty reasons does not sound like a happy person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Why would the main trilogy cast come back if their entire existence and character progression has been wiped from continuity?
To do something different. To do what actors like to do...act different parts with different motives and ambitions and reasons for doing things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
"X-Men 5! Where everything that came before this movie never happened, but still come and be invested in these characters anyways even though they no longer have a history!"
Why did you go see the first XMEN movie...they had no filmatic "history" for you to care about. To me.....you sound like you prefer to live in a time loop living the same thing over and over and over.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
If the rumored ending is true, then I won't care what happens to those characters anymore because the creative minds behind this film will have proven that they give absolutely no legitimacy to the consequences of the events of the storyline, and have completely thrown my emotional investment into these characters into the trash.

I will have no more attachment to these characters, as the journey that I went on with them will no longer exist in the continuity. These won't be the same characters anymore. If the rumored ending is true, then no events going forward will matter anymore because these people will no longer have a history.
I know some people who said the same thing about the recent STAR TREK movies...so they didn't see them...and they missed out on a really good time. I say this again as a giant STAR TREK fan who has been a fan of the franchise since I was introduced it on it's first run TV appearance back in the 60's. The history of the TREK I have loved for 46 some years is now changed/erased/evaporated....doesn't keep me from watching the old shows...doesn't keep me from watching the new shows. Doesn't keep me from loving STAR TREK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again - in 10 years time when this current franchise is finished, we don't -need- a reboot. The stories have already been told. We don't need a rehash.
Have you ever heard of a guy named SUPERMAN. There was a highly loved serial of the character made in the 40's. The story of his birth on Krypton and then coming to Earth and becoming a superpowered hero was told then. If people had thought like you did....then never would have been a six season run of a beloved Superman series in the 50's....or the beloved run of Chris Reeve Superman movies in the 70's and 80's....or any of the other multiple TV series and theatrical releases made about the character over the next few decades up to a recent hit movie about the character. Do you like BATMAN? Not Bale or Keaton or West or Kilmer or Clooney.....I'm talking about the first BATMAN, Lewis Wilson. He made a BATMAN serial back in 1943. There is no need to make any more Batman movies or TV shows...because he already did it. We don't need any reboots of the character. I sure hope you haven't watched any reboots of the character. As I think about it...your choices of comic book shows to watch is getting pretty thin....because most of the recent characters seen have been see before. You shouldn't watch the new THOR movie because THOR appeared in a HULK TV movie back in 1988....and of course DareDevil was in the 89' HULK TV movie, so he can't be watched again. Captain America....serial in the 40's, 2 TV movies in the 70's, limited theatrical release in the 90's....he's already been done 4 times, no need to see the new movie. Yep....things are getting slim.

At least you have the original XMEN DVDs you can watch......and rewatch.....and rewatch.....

Me....I try to watch all comic related movies ever made. But I'm an old grumpy man who has lost his sense of adventure and wonderment at new things....wait....who am I describing there......

C. Lee is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Figs
Side-Kick
 
Figs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,454
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Have you ever heard of a guy named SUPERMAN. There was a highly loved serial of the character made in the 40's. The story of his birth on Krypton and then coming to Earth and becoming a superpowered hero was told then. If people had thought like you did....then never would have been a six season run of a beloved Superman series in the 50's....or the beloved run of Chris Reeve Superman movies in the 70's and 80's....or any of the other multiple TV series and theatrical releases made about the character over the next few decades up to a recent hit movie about the character. Do you like BATMAN? Not Bale or Keaton or West or Kilmer or Clooney.....I'm talking about the first BATMAN, Lewis Wilson. He made a BATMAN serial back in 1943. There is no need to make any more Batman movies or TV shows...because he already did it. We don't need any reboots of the character. I sure hope you haven't watched any reboots of the character. As I think about it...your choices of comic book shows to watch is getting pretty thin....because most of the recent characters seen have been see before. You shouldn't watch the new THOR movie because THOR appeared in a HULK TV movie back in 1988....and of course DareDevil was in the 89' HULK TV movie, so he can't be watched again. Captain America....serial in the 40's, 2 TV movies in the 70's, limited theatrical release in the 90's....he's already been done 4 times, no need to see the new movie. Yep....things are getting slim.

At least you have the original XMEN DVDs you can watch......and rewatch.....and rewatch.....

Me....I try to watch all comic related movies ever made. But I'm an old grumpy man who has lost his sense of adventure and wonderment at new things....wait....who am I describing there......


I just can't understand his mentality on this topic. A lot of films that I love are being remade but I'll still give them a chance. I loooove the original Dawn of the Dead and surprisingly found the remake to be pretty good as an example. Hell, some remakes turn out to be better than the original at times.

Figs is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 22,637
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post


I just can't understand his mentality on this topic. A lot of films that I love are being remade but I'll still give them a chance. I loooove the original Dawn of the Dead and surprisingly found the remake to be pretty good as an example. Hell, some remakes turn out to be better than the original at times.
I'm looking forward to the remake of Annie next year. That was the very first musical I ever obsessed over as a kid - I still have the record and I own the movie on blu-ray.

But that movie is over 30 years old now. I saw the revival on Broadway this year, and I still love it...but it's dated. I'm hoping the updated version is great, and if it entertains a new generation of little girls the way me and my friends loved it as kids, then bring it on.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Figs
Side-Kick
 
Figs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,454
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I'm looking forward to the remake of Annie next year. That was the very first musical I ever obsessed over as a kid - I still have the record and I own the movie on blu-ray.

But that movie is over 30 years old now. I saw the revival on Broadway this year, and I still love it...but it's dated. I'm hoping the updated version is great, and if it entertains a new generation of little girls the way me and my friends loved it as kids, then bring it on.
Wow, I haven't seen the Annie movie in a long time. You now just got the "sun will come out tomorrow" song stuck in my head. Hahaha

Figs is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 22,637
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Wow, I haven't seen the Annie movie in a long time. You now just got the "sun will come out tomorrow" song stuck in my head. Hahaha
I've had "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile" stuck in my head since writing that. We could start a singalong.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
josh8
Side-Kick
 
josh8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,644
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I don't think we have ever talked before, I don't really know anything about you, so can you answer a question for me......how old are you. This is not meant to be a joke or snide. I really want to know your age, because I feel things like that effect how people see things. Me....I'm old. I'm 56 years old. Been watching all kinds of movies and TV shows for decades. I've seen many many franchises get rebooted (most likely most of them you and others on here have never seen or heard of)....and rarely feel that the "reboot" is something to really get upset about.

Some examples:
I was introduced to TARZAN by the Weismuller films. He made 12 of them. The first six at MGM with a certain continuity and feel (basicly serious with humor thrown in). The last 6 at RKO with a different continuity and feel (lower budgets, less noteworthy supporting cast, less serious, more humor ect...) it was like a reboot, not as good (in my opinion) but still enjoyable. Then I discovered the 5 movie TARZAN series starring Lex Barker. A reboot with new Tarzan, Jane, and supporting cast. His son, named Boy, was now removed from the series and the series given an overall lighter tone. Then the next reboot with Gordon Scott. He made 6 movies which were all over the place. The first couple were serious fare where Tarzan was a loner getting into adventures, then the next 2 he now had Jane and Boy with him, and the last 2 he was again a loner in serious gritty films. This continued on with several actors making multiple Tarzan movies and a nice TV series and such. I have enjoyed all of them to some extent (even though after first discovering him in the movies, I then read the books and he is a totally different from anything filmed)....should I have given up on anything made after the Weismuller films? Afterall, I saw them first, they were originally my definative version....there were so many things I would have missed out on if I had given up.

The same with James Bond. I have seen every Bond movie at the theater on it's first run. Should I have never tried to watch Daniel Craig because I started with Sean Connery, and for years he was the best Bond you could imagine? There have been good and bad Bond films. They have made major changes in tone and content over the decades....but they are still worth going to see. He's changed over the years from spy, to gadget master, to gimmick of the moment guy, and now back to spy.

I won't even get into some of the other franchises I have watched over the decades like The Falcon, the Saint, Mr. Moto, the Mysterious Mr. Wong, Green Hornet, Superman, Batman, Captain America......

I have to question the "happiness" part. Anyone who excludes so many "fun" movies from their lives over petty reasons does not sound like a happy person.

To do something different. To do what actors like to do...act different parts with different motives and ambitions and reasons for doing things.

Why did you go see the first XMEN movie...they had no filmatic "history" for you to care about. To me.....you sound like you prefer to live in a time loop living the same thing over and over and over.....

I know some people who said the same thing about the recent STAR TREK movies...so they didn't see them...and they missed out on a really good time. I say this again as a giant STAR TREK fan who has been a fan of the franchise since I was introduced it on it's first run TV appearance back in the 60's. The history of the TREK I have loved for 46 some years is now changed/erased/evaporated....doesn't keep me from watching the old shows...doesn't keep me from watching the new shows. Doesn't keep me from loving STAR TREK.

Have you ever heard of a guy named SUPERMAN. There was a highly loved serial of the character made in the 40's. The story of his birth on Krypton and then coming to Earth and becoming a superpowered hero was told then. If people had thought like you did....then never would have been a six season run of a beloved Superman series in the 50's....or the beloved run of Chris Reeve Superman movies in the 70's and 80's....or any of the other multiple TV series and theatrical releases made about the character over the next few decades up to a recent hit movie about the character. Do you like BATMAN? Not Bale or Keaton or West or Kilmer or Clooney.....I'm talking about the first BATMAN, Lewis Wilson. He made a BATMAN serial back in 1943. There is no need to make any more Batman movies or TV shows...because he already did it. We don't need any reboots of the character. I sure hope you haven't watched any reboots of the character. As I think about it...your choices of comic book shows to watch is getting pretty thin....because most of the recent characters seen have been see before. You shouldn't watch the new THOR movie because THOR appeared in a HULK TV movie back in 1988....and of course DareDevil was in the 89' HULK TV movie, so he can't be watched again. Captain America....serial in the 40's, 2 TV movies in the 70's, limited theatrical release in the 90's....he's already been done 4 times, no need to see the new movie. Yep....things are getting slim.

At least you have the original XMEN DVDs you can watch......and rewatch.....and rewatch.....

Me....I try to watch all comic related movies ever made. But I'm an old grumpy man who has lost his sense of adventure and wonderment at new things....wait....who am I describing there......
Bravo to your well though-out post!

Unfortunately it's going to fall on deaf ears...

Nell, C.Lee was being pretty respectful and trying to show you his perspective. It's kind of rude that you think he's just "rattling off". I agree that a reboot in the near future would be too soon, but you and your singular enjoyment is just one tiny pixel in this giant, big picture. Reboots are going to happen... in some cases they have to happen just so studios can keep the rights to movies.

In X-Men's case... say some kid was born in 2002 and is now getting old enough to watch these types of movies. If a reboot came around 2020, I welcome an awesome movie to come around and blow his or her mind. You meanwhile can clutch your DVDs and throw your fists up in the air as much as you want, but what is the point really.

josh8 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Figs
Side-Kick
 
Figs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,454
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Bravo to your well though-out post!

Unfortunately it's going to fall on deaf ears...

Nell, C.Lee was being pretty respectful and trying to show you his perspective. It's kind of rude that you think he's just "rattling off". I agree that a reboot in the near future would be too soon, but you and your singular enjoyment is just one tiny pixel in this giant, big picture. Reboots are going to happen... in some cases they have to happen just so studios can keep the rights to movies.

In X-Men's case... say some kid was born in 2002 and is now getting old enough to watch these types of movies. If a reboot came around 2020, I welcome an awesome movie to come around and blow his or her mind. You meanwhile can clutch your DVDs and throw your fists up in the air as much as you want, but what is the point really.
Exactly.

I used to get up in arms quite a few years back about remakes. Then I woke up and realized that just because a movie you love is being remade doesn't mean the government sends out the police and the army to go door to door destroying all copies of the original film and wiping it from existence.

Figs is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,583
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Bravo to your well though-out post!

Unfortunately it's going to fall on deaf ears...

Nell, C.Lee was being pretty respectful and trying to show you his perspective. It's kind of rude that you think he's just "rattling off". I agree that a reboot in the near future would be too soon, but you and your singular enjoyment is just one tiny pixel in this giant, big picture. Reboots are going to happen... in some cases they have to happen just so studios can keep the rights to movies.

In X-Men's case... say some kid was born in 2002 and is now getting old enough to watch these types of movies. If a reboot came around 2020, I welcome an awesome movie to come around and blow his or her mind. You meanwhile can clutch your DVDs and throw your fists up in the air as much as you want, but what is the point really.
Whoa who's being rude? I gave him the courtesy of a well thought out post to explain my stance and why I hate reboots and I'm being accused of being rude? My "rattling off" comment was about him naming a bunch of old movies that have been remade, it wasn't being rude towards his lengthy post.

As for that kid born in 2002, why is it so hard for that kid to pick up the dvd and watch that? Plenty of movies were made before I was born. That doesn't stop me from watching them.

And 6 of 7 movies still came out during that kid's lifetime.

__________________
My X-Men Movies Encyclopedia
(Still a work in progress)

Includes movie information, timeline theories, character bios, and more!
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,445
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Whoa who's being rude? I gave him the courtesy of a well thought out post to explain my stance and why I hate reboots and I'm being accused of being rude? My "rattling off" comment was about him naming a bunch of old movies that have been remade, it wasn't being rude towards his lengthy post.

As for that kid born in 2002, why is it so hard for that kid to pick up the dvd and watch that? Plenty of movies were made before I was born. That doesn't stop me from watching them.

And 6 of 7 movies still came out during that kid's lifetime.
Reboots are going to happen, or eventually the films are going to fall into a James Bond-like continuity that's extremely loose (which isn't that different from a reboot anyway) as the years go on. Actors are going to get too old the play the characters we're watching and they're going to have to recast, as time goes on the style of the films will change, etc. Just as the comics do.

And once that happens, it's really no different than a reboot. Though honestly, I wouldn't mind if they did that. The one thing I do agree with is that we don't need a new origin story every ten years. I would fully support a more "comic-like" story telling mind when it comes to the movies. Don't worry about continuity too much and focus on telling good stories. The general audience only really cares about continuity issues for about 5 to 10 years anyway.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,583
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Reboots are going to happen, or eventually the films are going to fall into a James Bond-like continuity that's extremely loose (which isn't that different from a reboot anyway) as the years go on. Actors are going to get too old the play the characters we're watching and they're going to have to recast, as time goes on the style of the films will change, etc. Just as the comics do.

And once that happens, it's really no different than a reboot. Though honestly, I wouldn't mind if they did that. The one thing I do agree with is that we don't need a new origin story every ten years. I would fully support a more "comic-like" story telling mind when it comes to the movies. Don't worry about continuity too much and focus on telling good stories. The general audience only really cares about continuity issues for about 5 to 10 years anyway.
I'm quoting you but I'm gonna be responding to more than just you.

Lets take the business out of it, because I understand the issues with the rights (but I also believe that business doesn't always lead to the best creativity)

How many film series have had an extensive james bond like continuity...

James bond. Thats it. So this is what I mean by the entitlement. Why do we feel that X-Men HAS to carry on that long forever? It'd be the only series other than bond to do it. Star Trek came close but that also has recasts and new characters - within the same continuity mind you (I'm talking pre-2009).

So that brings us to First Class. Which debunks the theory that I have a hard on for the main trilogy cast, because if that was the case why is First Class my favorite X-Men film yet?

You can recast with new characters and continue the franchise. You don't need to reboot.

Now lets get into the rights. So they gotta keep making movies or lose the rights? So they are gonna make X-Men films forever? There is a such thing as over saturation and too much of a good thing. This is where business and creativity don't mix.

__________________
My X-Men Movies Encyclopedia
(Still a work in progress)

Includes movie information, timeline theories, character bios, and more!
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 22,637
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
As for that kid born in 2002, why is it so hard for that kid to pick up the dvd and watch that? Plenty of movies were made before I was born. That doesn't stop me from watching them.

And 6 of 7 movies still came out during that kid's lifetime.
Here, let me direct you to an updated version of my earlier post, which I think got eaten by Thread Manager on the last thread:

I was 4 in 1978, when Superman: The Movie first came out. My dad, who grew up with Superman comics and the TV series with George Reeves, happily took me to see it. He didn't think "those stories have already been told" and refused to see the new version. Or told me to only watch *his* version of Superman (which was on reruns on weekday afternoons).

Hell no. He happily took me to the new Superman and we loved it (my mom loved it too). He even bought me the program, which I wish I still had.

And he gladly took us to the sequel a few years later. This time, my younger sister and a few of our friends were with us, and I remember us all cheering when Superman asked Zod if he "cared to step outside".

Although we had the good sense to quit the series as it sadly went downhill with the next two sequels...we saw Superman Returns and Man of Steel during their respective releases. Like my dad in 1978, I was ready for Superman to come back. I wanted a new Superman. I want my nephews to cheer it on like we did as kids.

Because Superman is bigger than one TV show, or movie series. As long as there are stories to tell and people to tell them right, they should continue. Especially as times change and stories become relevant to new generations in different ways.

Same goes with X-Men. You do a terrible disservice to that wealth of storytelling if you call it quits after one movie series. Can you honestly say that if some writer comes along in the next few years and writes a definitive X-Men comics arc that virtually cries out for a movie adaptation, it shouldn't be done because, oops, sorry...the movies are done now?

Not every reboot is evil. If it continues something we love and is done right, it's great. You just don't know that because you refuse to see them, which doesn't give you a leg to stand on in this argument.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline  
Old 11-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #17
josh8
Side-Kick
 
josh8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,644
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Whoa who's being rude? I gave him the courtesy of a well thought out post to explain my stance and why I hate reboots and I'm being accused of being rude? My "rattling off" comment was about him naming a bunch of old movies that have been remade, it wasn't being rude towards his lengthy post.
You didn't give him any courtesies. You talked about him in the third person like he wasn't there and said he was "rattling off", implying that what he was saying was not worthwhile. Sorry, Nell, that is being rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
As for that kid born in 2002, why is it so hard for that kid to pick up the dvd and watch that? Plenty of movies were made before I was born. That doesn't stop me from watching them.

And 6 of 7 movies still came out during that kid's lifetime.
Yes, the kid can pick up the DVDs. Or a studio could make a new movie that he can enjoy. Two possibilities, one no better than the other. All I'm saying is not everyone wants the same thing and most of us can acknowledge that without getting obsessive over it or immediately writing off one option as lacking credibility.


Last edited by josh8; 11-14-2013 at 03:56 AM.
josh8 is offline  
Old 11-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,583
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
You didn't give him any courtesies. You talked about him in the third person like he wasn't there and said he was "rattling off", implying that what he was saying was not worthwhile. Sorry, Nell, that is being rude.
That is not what I was implying at all, please don't impose meaning upon my words that isn't there.

__________________
My X-Men Movies Encyclopedia
(Still a work in progress)

Includes movie information, timeline theories, character bios, and more!
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
Great Mind(s)
Broken
 
Great Mind(s)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Posts: 4,018
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

I'm anti reboot too but only certain ones. Like rebooting Batman so soon is a no no for me. However Man of Steel makes sense because it's kind of the modern Superman. Singer wasn't doing Superman Returns Returns (which was a continuation of a 1970s series) so yeah we needed a reboot. which is why I'm anti Batman vs Superman, I think it should be Christian Bale. But that's because it's so close to TDK films.

Reboots like Casino Royale and Batman Begins are necessary because they were so so drastically different from what came before and closer to the source material so it was okay. This new Terminator reboot sounds ridiculous to me though. Because it's not taking something from a book or comic it's rebooting a movie. Though if they rebooted X-Men completely I'd be pretty upset because I like the actors and the tone and everything, which is why I like the idea of altering history. It's not like it's a foreign concept in X-Men lore, it happens all the damn time. So this isn't something out of left field. There are still stories to tell with these actors and characters.

And I'm a huge Star Trek fan. My reason for not liking Star Trek 09 wasn't exactly because it was a reboot of sorts...I just didn't like the movie. However Into Darkness I loved because it felt more like Star Trek and started reintroducing things from the shows. I still don't think it beats DS9 as far as darkness, action or characters so it doesn't matter to me... what bothers me most about it are the people who think it's the only good Star Trek because it's more moderny. That angers me. People need an excuse to get geeky so they wait for the modern movie adaptations instead of getting into the serious ****.


Last edited by Great Mind(s); 11-13-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Great Mind(s) is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 22,637
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

And that's the the thing - reboot doesn't automatically mean better. You can like them or hate them.

But you can't proclaim they're all terrible when you refuse to see any of them.

When I was little, Batman was Adam West, on TV in reruns. When I was in high school, he was Michael Keaton. In college, he was Val Kilmer and George Clooney. After that, he was Christian Bale, and in a few years he's going to be Ben Affleck.

And I've seen all of those movies. Some have been awful (looking at you, Batman & Robin), some have been great (hi, Batman Begins!), and I look forward to the next take on the character.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
Great Mind(s)
Broken
 
Great Mind(s)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Posts: 4,018
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

^ I would be excited for a new Batman if they let Christian Bale's era sit and breathe a little. They were already planning the reboot while making TDKR... when it gets to that point I can't exactly see it as anything other than "make as many movies as you can, we need to sell sell sell until every possible story has been told and everyone hates it now".

But X-Men being altered by time travel shouldn't be considered a reboot. By that logic, Back to the Future was rebooted 4 or 5 times in three movies.

Great Mind(s) is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #22
Figs
Side-Kick
 
Figs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,454
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post

But X-Men being altered by time travel shouldn't be considered a reboot. By that logic, Back to the Future was rebooted 4 or 5 times in three movies.
I can't speak for anyone else but when I talk about rebooting the series, I don't mean right after Days of Future Past. If they want to make one more film with the OT cast, I'm all for it. I just think they should reboot the series a ways down the line.

Figs is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #23
Figs
Side-Kick
 
Figs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,454
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

This is going to be ignorant of me but I'm going to assume Nell got his first taste of the X-men from the movies. For those of us who grew up reading the comics, there are so many stories to tell that I actually look forward to a new series. Especially a new cast since I didn't like every portrayal in these films. Not because I'm some pretentious comic fan but I didn't like a few of the performances, lik Berry's Storm for example. Jackman is a lot taller than comic Wolverine but I didn't care because he is great in that role.

Figs is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #24
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,583
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
This is going to be ignorant of me but I'm going to assume Nell got his first taste of the X-men from the movies. For those of us who grew up reading the comics, there are so many stories to tell that I actually look forward to a new series. Especially a new cast since I didn't like every portrayal in these films. Not because I'm some pretentious comic fan but I didn't like a few of the performances, lik Berry's Storm for example. Jackman is a lot taller than comic Wolverine but I didn't care because he is great in that role.
You're right. That is ignorant. And couldn't be further from the truth.

I've been an X-Men fan my entire life, and my entire childhood couldn't wait until an X-Men movie was made. When it finally came out in 2000, that made my life pretty much.

No, my first taste of the X-Men came from the '90's animated series when I was a kid. And then after that, I started collecting as many toys, cards, and comics as I could of the X-Men.

My fandom expanded around the time the movie came out, because by that point, I was old enough to have my own money and go out and buy a lot of back comics on my own, and really build a collection that I wasn't able to amass as a kid, but my first taste of the X-Men came from the cartoons and comics.

I don't think these movies are perfect. FAR from it. I prefer the movie medium over the comic medium, but I was speaking with my friend the other night about it, and going through and analyzing just how much when it comes down to it I do like the comics versions of the characters better than the movie versions, outside of a couple exceptions. In a lot of ways, I do prefer the film takes on particular stories (example: I prefer Dark Phoenix as a split personality rather than a cosmic entity), but I am an X-Men fan from well before the movies.

For C. Lee tossing out all of those obscure references, I have stated plenty of times that there are exceptions to every rule. Batman, which is probably America's biggest superhero in pop culture, and had (what I consider to be) 4 bad movies coming in, needed a presence during this comic book movie boom. Same goes for Superman. In the case of Superman, it had been something like 30 years since the original series with Christopher Reeves. Much different than pulling a Spiderman and rebooting it 4 years later, or what's being proposed with X-Men and rebooting it right in the middle of it's run. And I still hardly consider Casino Royale a "reboot". It was nothing more than a recasting, which has been done throughout the entirety of the franchise's run.

No, here's how I look at it. I can probably count on both hands the number of film franchises that have reached X-Men's longevity, in terms of installments (7). Bond, Star Trek, Star Wars (once the new trilogy begins), Harry Potter, bad horror movie franchises like Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday The 13th, Avengers (if you count that as one franchise), Batman, and that's all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure I'm blanking on a couple.

What I'm trying to say is - film series' come to an end. And that's OKAY. It is okay for things to come to an end. And I feel it's a sense of entitlement when people run around acting like they are OWED all these different versions of different characters. While some say they can't wait for new takes, I say I'd rather see NEW ideas and NEW stories being told.

C. Lee rattled off some old timey films from the 40's. That's obviously much different than rebooting a series in 2015 that started in 2000. Film making is much different today than in was in 1940. It was an entire generation ago of people who aren't even ALIVE today. Want to reboot X-Men in 30 years, when I'm 60 (to answer your other question, Lee, I'm 30), then that's a whole different story than rebooting it in 2020 only 6 years after Days Of Future Past.

But while people talk about new takes on the same stories, I also say I don't need to see the same stories redone over and over again. Back To The Future, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, The Godfather, RoboCop, Terminator, Lord Of The Rings, X-Men, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, E.T., Jurassic Park, I mean I can list movies until I'm out of breathe. Do we need to see these all again? They were incredible the first time around, and there's a reason for that. These movies captured levels of magic that won't be replicated. But the argument for reboots says we should just focus on remaking all of these movies because hey, we can have a new take and introduce them to a new audience!

If you want to introduce them to a new audience, then SHOW your E.T. DVD to your kids. Don't remake it and lose the magic of the original. There's a reason why these movies are wonderful, and someone coming in with a "new take" is not going to recapture that.

__________________
My X-Men Movies Encyclopedia
(Still a work in progress)

Includes movie information, timeline theories, character bios, and more!
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #25
Figs
Side-Kick
 
Figs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,454
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
What I'm trying to say is - film series' come to an end. And that's OKAY. It is okay for things to come to an end. And I feel it's a sense of entitlement when people run around acting like they are OWED all these different versions of different characters. While some say they can't wait for new takes, I say I'd rather see NEW ideas and NEW stories being told.

Once again, you make it sound as if the only option(or way you'll except)for having new stories and ideas is with the original cast. Also, you talk about some of us acting as if we feel we are owed different version, that is far from the truth and to be honest, you for quite some time have actually been acting like you are owed more films with the original cast. Seems like a double standard.

C. Lee rattled off some old timey films from the 40's. That's obviously much different than rebooting a series in 2015 that started in 2000. Film making is much different today than in was in 1940. It was an entire generation ago of people who aren't even ALIVE today. Want to reboot X-Men in 30 years, when I'm 60 (to answer your other question, Lee, I'm 30), then that's a whole different story than rebooting it in 2020 only 6 years after Days Of Future Past.

6 years from now do you really think all of the cast are going to want to return? Maybe some, but then that would still mean some of the main characters will get recast. Ah yes, we shouldn't make anymore X-men films for 30 years after the OT cast stops.

But while people talk about new takes on the same stories, I also say I don't need to see the same stories redone over and over again. Back To The Future, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, The Godfather, RoboCop, Terminator, Lord Of The Rings, X-Men, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, E.T., Jurassic Park, I mean I can list movies until I'm out of breathe. Do we need to see these all again? They were incredible the first time around, and there's a reason for that. These movies captured levels of magic that won't be replicated. But the argument for reboots says we should just focus on remaking all of these movies because hey, we can have a new take and introduce them to a new audience!

You obviously ignored one of my previous posts where I mention that with a reboot they don't need to redo the events of X1, X2 or X3. They can write all new stories and I believe you mentioned something about new and fresh ideas earlier. Maybe we're misunderstanding each other, but a reboot for a series of films and not one stand alone like Casablanca or E.T. for example aren't the same thing. When you reboot a series of films like X-men or the Terminator franchise, it simply means a new cast is in place. It doesn't mean they are going to copy the original film's plot.

If you want to introduce them to a new audience, then SHOW your E.T. DVD to your kids. Don't remake it and lose the magic of the original. There's a reason why these movies are wonderful, and someone coming in with a "new take" is not going to recapture that.
I believe some classics shouldn't be touched, but it's ridiculous to claim that any new take on past films won't live up to the original, or recapture the magic. Um...maybe for little kids a remake would give them that same feeling we had when we were young and saw the original, in this case, E.T. for example. Once again, it is very possible for a remake to possibly surpass the original, it's stubborn people that want to turn on their blinders to that possibility. It reeks of something similar to the "Michael Bay raped my childhood" comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I've had "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile" stuck in my head since writing that. We could start a singalong.

Figs is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.