The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Naji Assan
Banned User

Default Thanos' role in Age of Ultron

I have this hunch that Thanos will use one of the Infinity Gems to give Ultron sentience. The same way he was behind Loki's invasion I feel he'll be behind Ultron's rampage. Speculation is fun!

Any other ideas on what his involvement with this story could be? Will he play a role at all?

Naji Assan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Thanos' role in Age of Ultron

Feige hints at the "maguffin" --- most likely another Infinity Stone --- from GOTG playing a role in AOU, so it's very possible that it takes something cosmic to give Ultron at least some of his uberpowers. I think the red "kirby crackle" in Ultron's mouth could be ascribed to some cosmic power source; could very well be Aether.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Feige hints at the "maguffin" --- most likely another Infinity Stone --- from GOTG playing a role in AOU, so it's very possible that it takes something cosmic to give Ultron at least some of his uberpowers. I think the red "kirby crackle" in Ultron's mouth could be ascribed to some cosmic power source; could very well be Aether.
You think we'll see a short scene where Thanos "wakes" Ultron up?

Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Yeah hasn't this theory been loosely accepted for a while now? By posters on the hype at least, except for a few dissenters. Then again, many adamantly believed they'd never do an infinity gauntlet story either.

I'm not sure. It'd be interesting having the Aether "power" him. Particularly because my best bet is that the Aether is the reality stone. I guess we can assume Ultron will be red (because of that teaser). So it'd be somewhat odd to have him powered by a purple or green tinted "Power" stone.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Ultron the Superrobot with the Power of the Aether...
Sounds Cool.

I just wonder if the Avengers in AoU know about a mighty guy named Thanos...

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddlerTheDalek View Post
Ultron the Superrobot with the Power of the Aether...
Sounds Cool.

I just wonder if the Avengers in AoU know about a mighty guy named Thanos...
Good point. When will the threat of Thanos be known to the Avengers? After Age of Ultron? During?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji Assan View Post
Good point. When will the threat of Thanos be known to the Avengers? After Age of Ultron? During?
TDW definitely should have touched on Thanos, at least mentioning him by name during Loki's trial. That trial was never shown, at least more than a brief exchange with Odin; but Odin definitely would've wanted to know where Loki got his Chitauri army and crackerjack spear from. So yeah, Thor at the very least should be very familiar with Thanos' story by now, if he wasn't before.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
TDW definitely should have touched on Thanos, at least mentioning him by name during Loki's trial. That trial was never shown, at least more than a brief exchange with Odin; but Odin definitely would've wanted to know where Loki got his Chitauri army and crackerjack spear from. So yeah, Thor at the very least should be very familiar with Thanos' story by now, if he wasn't before.
I really would have preferred if the final stinger for Thor The Dark World was Loki sitting on the throne and receiving a visit from the Other. Then Loki hands him the Tesseract and as The Other walks away Loki asks "What happens now?" and the Other says "You'll see".

The scene with Thor returning to Midgard really should have ended the movie. Everyone left the theater after The Collector scene. Those people probably think Thor's an a-hole for ditching Jane again and when Age of Ultron hits in 2015 won't understand why he's on Earth.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
TRM
Banned User

I think Thanos has many species under his control and the Chitauri were only one of them. Also the neural linked helmets gave him mind control abilities over them, and while the Tesseract was the space gem, the stone on the scepter was actually the mind gem... Or a fraction of its power. The scepter was left on Earth in Black Widow's hands and now resides at Shield. It may play some small role in Ultron's sentience, I agree, but there are a few other ways I could see it going too.

Space Phantom spies under Thanos's control can shapeshift and infiltrate earth to grab what I consider a piece of the mind gem (it didn't have its full power while on the scepter, only a fraction because it, and couldn't work on everyone. Whereas the Tesseract had all the space gem's infinite energy). Before Age of Ultron was announced as the title, we were told that their worst enemies would be themselves. As IM3 says we all create our own demons and there are Oracle signs hidden in IM3, hints of things to come, Jarvis uses Oracle cloud software. Maybe Jarvis has been trojan horsed and he doesn't even know it. Feige said Namor is with universal for the time being. So who runs Oracle, who develops their software?

I think there will be many doubles and decoys, clones even, but the spies Thanos can use that are able to trick mind readers are the Space Phantoms, and he sends them in during Avengers 2. Akela Amadore could tell Couslon had been altered but not how/why. Clairvoyant's have been mentioned on the Shield show
Space Phantoms can evade mind readers, and steal the body of the person they impersonate without killing them. They drag them into Limbo, which is technically between life and death, it might be closer to Tahiti... Limbo exists almost purely as a magical/energetic dimension in the comics, but is connected to many different times and spaces, like the Celestial's heads are. In GoTG we will see the interdimensional base Knowwhere, which is inside a Celestial's head...
The cortex is connected to all times/spaces. On a much smaller scale human brains are connected to the entire universe, and all matter is connected at subatomic levels...
Killian's brain has a connection to the universe. It wasn't an accident that he showed us the map of the universe.

I think Marvel will use the space phantoms, and that's what some of the comments about GoTG being like ghostbusters in space are about. Plus some of it could have to do with the soul gem, Death, themes like that... Eternity, since Thanos is an Eternal and obsessed with death. As well as of course Infinity, because those themes will become more prevalent.
The space phantoms were all killed when their planet was destroyed by Thanos or Nebula. Immortus saved all of their souls the split second before the bodies were destroyed and they moved into Limbo. Immortus and Dr. Strange can access other dimensions with their minds, because the mind can be used to create portals to other dimensions if one meditates long enough and learns the mystic arts. Strange is a fast learner, Immortus took millions of years to reach this point -- why he is Immortus and not Kang is because Fox owns Kang...

Scarlett Witches' mind is unique....And all sides are interested in it. Skye would be interested in it because Witch was born with realty altering powers and was born on Earth... Her mind is more connected to all of reality, like a Celestials is naturally because they are bigger...
Thanos would have spies that can move through Limbo and spends time gathering the gems almost at the same time before too many people even noticed, and almost caused a lot of problems for the whole universe instantly with the amount of gems he secretly gathered by the end of GoTG, using the time gem as soon as he acquired it, to start manipulating time.
Thanos himself cannot move through Limbo, but the space phantoms get sent in to Earth during Age of Ultron to check up on things at this time and recover the last piece of the mind gem which he foolishly entrusted to Loki.. However, Loki meant to call it quits in Avengers, and since falling in the abyss and seeing countless worlds has started working towards anticipating people's moves for the longest con he's ever pulled...

More:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Loki intended to drop the piece of the mind gem on Earth and have it stay in Shield's custody. Amidst the chaos that goes on during Age of Ultron Thanos has to send down the Space Phantom shapeshifter species to steal back this piece of the mind gem. If Loki really wanted to honor the contract with Thanos, he would have sent the Tesseract along with the Aether or something... Instead Loki kept the space gem for Asgard... Which would upset Thanos because Thanos wanted this one first or second, to start repairing/retrieving the other pieces of the mind gem.
Without the space gem it slows Thanos's quest down and Loki knew this. This forced Thanos to go after the time and soul gems next, and use the time gem to gather the broken pieces of the mind gem...

During Avengers 2 there will be a lot to do with psychology, predicting events before they happen, people being wrongfully imprisoned and looked into by Shield, and some perhaps being rightfully imprisoned like Sterns, because he changed slightly even before prison... Mind control would come into play again because of Winter Solider, however it is a form of mind control that is technological in nature... Only Thanos and his spies know that the piece of the mind gem is still in Shield's hands and that Shield is vulnerable , extremely vulnerable during Age of Ultron. The Space Phantoms invade while no one is looking and are far better doubles than Pierce was, because they evade mind readers like Scarlet Witch... You also don't need to kill someone off completely to have them replaced by a space phantom. They are instantly shunted into limbo and trapped there, perhaps with Odin... There is no semi-quick recovery from the limbo dimension done in his case, Frigga's energy seemed to go to Valahalla in the funeral scene...
Coulson's energy may have still been in limbo when they found his body, and hadn't crossed over out of this inbetween death dimension. Coulson and Odin both ended up trapped in Limbo for a time, but they grabbed Coulson's energy and forced it back into a body. The space phantoms need bodies to shift into and operate from Limbo, Limbo would be close to some of the dimensions of death but not all the way in Hel or Valhalla or anywhere else yet, Coulson had a vision of the light in Limbo, but never crossed over completely. Odin has been pulled into Limbo by Loki, and is drifting through empty space

Last edited by TRM; 11-18-2013 at 12:37 PM.
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Bert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji Assan View Post
I really would have preferred if the final stinger for Thor The Dark World was Loki sitting on the throne and receiving a visit from the Other. Then Loki hands him the Tesseract and as The Other walks away Loki asks "What happens now?" and the Other says "You'll see".

The scene with Thor returning to Midgard really should have ended the movie. Everyone left the theater after The Collector scene. Those people probably think Thor's an a-hole for ditching Jane again and when Age of Ultron hits in 2015 won't understand why he's on Earth.
With the bifrost repaired, it was in Thor The Dark World, he can get back to earth on a whim. It doesnt require explanation

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

What if the Mind Gem is used to give Ultron a mind?

I don't think they're going to repeat MacGuffins, honestly.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
chaseter
Bland User

I don't think Thanos will have any part in Ultron's sentience. I think it will all be JARVIS. We know Stark is the creator of Ultron and we know that JARVIS is beginning to act buggy (it was a deleted scene in IM3). I think JARVIS will go haywire and that will give rise to Ultron. JARVIS will then be reigned back but it will be too late as Ultron now has sentience. I doubt we see Thanos at all in AOU unless they show an after movie clip of him acquiring more stones. I do hope we see Vision in here though.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #13
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I don't think Thanos will have any part in Ultron's sentience. I think it will all be JARVIS. We know Stark is the creator of Ultron and we know that JARVIS is beginning to act buggy (it was a deleted scene in IM3). I think JARVIS will go haywire and that will give rise to Ultron. JARVIS will then be reigned back but it will be too late as Ultron now has sentience. I doubt we see Thanos at all in AOU unless they show an after movie clip of him acquiring more stones. I do hope we see Vision in here though.
yeah but let's see what happens first in CA2 as it seems to be tied to AOU

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #14
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I don't think Thanos will have any part in Ultron's sentience. I think it will all be JARVIS. We know Stark is the creator of Ultron and we know that JARVIS is beginning to act buggy (it was a deleted scene in IM3).
We "know" Stark is the creator of Ultron....? Interesting....show me where Kevin Feige or *anybody* has confirmed that. Because the truth is that none of us know who created Ultron, because Marvel hasn't told us yet.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
TRM
Banned User

I do think Jarvis acting buggy is a big part of it.
If we deal with the mind gem in AoU there could be all sorts of themes about freewill. Scarlet Witch kinda has mind based powers.
Feige once said The Mandarin uses Art of War like tactics, but this turned out almost not to be true. Part of the Art of War is deception and using spy tactics, spy networks etc, covers and front organizations. Killian said subtlety has had its day, I think far more was going on, and it's even more complicated than supply and demand. This was misdirection. Killian learned a thing or two about how to update his presentation and needed Tony's mind, Killian is sort of acting now, and enjoys theatrics and making TV almost as much as "Trevor" did.
Tony said we all create our own demons. I really think this is a reflective statement, as well as foreshadowing for the end of phase 2. That it will become a prophetic statement. Tony is the true Oracle..

My prediction is that the Oracle cloud software Jarvis used did something to him, he has a trojan horse type virus that hasn't been activated fully yet until he gets the other half of it through the rest of Oracle's software, it sneaks in one piece at a time..
Alexander Pierce wants to detect threats before they happen, see things coming, maybe the "Oracle cloud" and Oracle software acts as almost a predictive program, as well as the analytic program it ran for Jarvis during the Chinese theatre investigation. Oracle and Roxxon oil were Hydra fronts for a long time, and moved across time.

In the IM3 prelude comic an AIM employee walks up to The Mandarin and tells him that their operatives working under the guise of Ten Rings members have collected data on the Iron Patriot suit. The AIM employee hands the Iron Patriot data to The Mandarin, i.e. Kingsley and not Killian, in the prelude comic...this employee seems to think The Master is in charge prior to IM3. Killian might have only thought he was in charge, and is a victim of mind control as well... The real way the Mandarin works might be a lot more complicated, and it might not be safe for Tony to sleep. We might have had a live feed to Killian's brain the whole movie, and Trevor was handling many things... He's the handler at the top of Hydra's mind control network on the Shield show. He sometimes panics, but he handles it, a hydra superspy who has gone a little too far in his acts/deceptions/covers/play/mind control and sometimes drifts off because his mind is sometimes there and not there... the subconscious is important to the form of mind control Hydra uses and Trevor was mocking Tony in many ways. He played killian, because he belonged to Hydra. Hydra needed the Extremis fixed. Maya cared about this but Killian didn't... A hydra spy was sent in to be the Master... Killian did not know there was more to Trevor, and that Hydra had been secretly setting up AIM, preparing to buy Extremis legally with other company Oracle, and hiding behind the scenes of everything..

I think Hydra is up to far more than we know at this point, all we know is the mention they got in the Shield show. I think they have many false fronts, control Centipede and have infiltrated the world in many ways, AIM is the one who is able to break free because Killian wasn't completely aware he was actually set up by "Trevor" to take all the blame/credit for Mandarin because his egotism and psychology would force him to take full credit for his one contribution, the Mandarin name.. Killian only stole other people's ideas and tried to get in on the ground floor, he was a salesman, worse than an actor, a bad salesman/actor.... Mandarin had to trick stark's mind to get the formula out of it in a very complicated way, because Stark is arrogant, but justifiably so, and his ego is more in touch with reality/backed up by fact than Killian.

Ultron went through an evolution like Feige said, he's been around for a while without a body, although Stark may not know that parts of the software for Ultron's mind already existed since Pym's day. I think Ultron starts as someone's idea to help hunt for Hydra operatives, however Hydra is already counting on people joining parts of the Oracle software to robot bodies and Ultron is wireless and in the clouds... he can have many bodies when he comes into it, and no one person is responsible for building him/adopting it for the world to try to use it hunt down Hydra and the Masters. I think the software starts to change Jarvis's personality, as he keeps trying to go to the next Oracle update to map out the inside of a prison and figure out how a prison break happened.

Last edited by TRM; 11-18-2013 at 12:38 PM.
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
We "know" Stark is the creator of Ultron....? Interesting....show me where Kevin Feige or *anybody* has confirmed that. Because the truth is that none of us know who created Ultron, because Marvel hasn't told us yet.
It's an Iron Man suit and it's not Hank Pym. Who does that leave? Jesus?

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 11-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Arnim Zola, Howard Stark, and Justin Hammer, for starters.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Arnim Zola, Howard Stark, and Justin Hammer, for starters.
Arnim may have a role but he isn't creating Ultron. He may corrupt the program that causes Ultron to become sentient but it will be Stark that makes the machine and JARVIS will be involved. Justin Hammer is in jail and won't be back. Howard Stark?

Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
well Jesus was a carpenter.. hmm.

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #20
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
How do we know it's an Iron man Suit? SHIELD could create the shell for all we know

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:11 AM   #21
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
I hope this isn't the case but I'm starting to think it is. I want Thanos involved.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

SHIELD is my best guess...

Old 11-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
HUMANIMAL

jarvis gets hacked by arnim zolas programm...gives him contiousness i guess...

MY FANART AND MANIPS
HUMANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #24
venom892
Got Lucky

Even if Justin Hammer isn't in jail anymore, his incompetence was a running joke in IM2. Him being part of Ultron's creation would be really silly.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
Bert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom892 View Post
Even if Justin Hammer isn't in jail anymore, his incompetence was a running joke in IM2. Him being part of Ultron's creation would be really silly.
With the jokes and silliness so far in phase 2 i wouldnt be surprised hammer were involved in ultron and was a little buggy. Everything has getting played for laughs Ultron may be a bit quirky

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote