The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

Old 11-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
The Valeyard
Banned User

Default Goyer Admits They Didn't Plan How 'Reporter Clark Kent' Could Make Sense

"Obviously we sidestepped it in this movie (Man Of Steel)"

Around the 1:12:00 mark.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=37841

Goyer admits he wrote himself into a "corner" for the sequel. They never came up with a plan on how the 'Clark Kent' disguise could make sense in a film grounded in logic.

I wonder how they'll realistically explain it in the sequel or if they'll bother to explain it.

The Valeyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
charl_huntress
The Offender

Default Re: Goyer Admits They Didn't Plan How 'Reporter Clark Kent' Could Make Sense

That's a bit too long for me to listen to, but if I had to think on it I would say like it's always been done.

The idea is that people can never realistically believe someone like Clark could be Superman. They just have to reinforce that notion so the audience can understand why that is the case.

It can be easily done like they always do it. Someone says Clark looks like Superman...then everyone starts to think about it. Clark hears them with super hearing then conveniently trips for their benefit and then everyone laughs that thought off as ridiculous.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
The Valeyard
Banned User

Default Re: Goyer Admits They Didn't Plan How 'Reporter Clark Kent' Could Make Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
That's a bit too long for me to listen to, but if I had to think on it I would say like it's always been done.

The idea is that people can never realistically believe someone like Clark could be Superman. They just have to reinforce that notion so the audience can understand why that is the case.

In the world of "Man of Steel," the public is already aware that Kal-El has been living among humans for years with a human identity.

So everyone already knows Superman has a human identity.

Quote:
It can be easily done like they always do it. Someone says Clark looks like Superman...then everyone starts to think about it. Clark hears them with super hearing then conveniently trips for their benefit and then everyone laughs that thought off as ridiculous.
Thats usually because Reeve+Routh portrayed Clark as drastically different from Superman in mannerisms and appearance, so it was easier to swallow. even in voice. I didn't buy that Steve and Perry didn't recognize him as Superman in that final scene. The glasses alone without any of the other changes isn't a believable disguise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
It'll be the same as how they approached it in Smallville, they play off the assumption that no one like Superman could possibly ever live among normal folk.
Smallville completely failed with the disguise. He wasn't even wearing the glasses at his own wedding in the finale. They betrayed their own logic.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 11-20-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
ЯɘvlveR
Morocco Bob-omb

longer hair. one thing i liked about returns actually.

I'll be over there in Nepal with those monkey- head chicks. They'll all be hitting on me. "Hey, John... ...thanks a lot for keeping the Chinese off our backs. We appreciate it. Is there anything we can do for you? Oh, and by the way, handsome... ...we've never been in a Winnebago." You figure it out.
ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
charl_huntress
The Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
In the world of "Man of Steel," the public is already aware that Kal-El has been living among humans for years with a human identity.

So everyone already knows Superman has a human identity.

Thats usually because Reeve+Routh portrayed Clark as drastically different from Superman in mannerisms and appearance, so it was easier to swallow. even in voice. I didn't buy that Steve and Perry didn't recognize him as Superman in that final scene. The glasses alone without any of the other changes isn't a believable disguise.

Right, which is why they have to reinforce the notion that people have thought it, but that they dismissed it as ridiculous. We as the audience have be given a reason for why they can easily dismiss this.

Plus, it was obvious they didn't recognize him. The only one who did was Lois. In fact, Perry or Steve never really got a good look at Superman when he was fighting Zod. No one did. The only people who got a good look are the military.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
The Valeyard
Banned User

Quote:
Right, which is why they have to reinforce the notion that people have thought it, but that they dismissed it as ridiculous. We as the audience have be given a reason for why they can easily dismiss this.

Plus, it was obvious they didn't recognize him. The only one who did was Lois. In fact, Perry or Steve never really got a good look at Superman when he was fighting Zod. No one did. The only people who got a good look are the military.

Well if Superman is not a public figure in this universe, and just a 'Red-Blue' Blur that no one catches a glimpse at, your theory could make sense.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
charl_huntress
The Offender

Quote:
Well if Superman is not a public figure in this universe, and just a 'Red-Blue' Blur that no one catches a glimpse at, your theory could make sense.
IMO...that's the only way it could be. He's hair was a bit different and all that, but if he's around all the time then it's the perception that Clark could NEVER be Superman... That's what has to be reinforced. I don't care how they do it, but it has to be done for it to be believable.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:

Of course, i mean, what a nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Fallen Angel
Earth bound

What realism! Glasses, A bit of slouching a bit of clumsiness but not too much and don't bring attention to yourself. Lois will cover for him when he has to go and do his superhero business.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
TheNextNolan22
Daniel Bryan Has Arrived!

They would not a real need to go in-depth on the explanation. Just have him act clumsy here and there and Lois could cover for him.

60 Years of GODZILLA-The King of the Monsters
TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
InJustice
Side-Kick

Inb4peoplejustifythisasBvSisunplanned

InJustice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
nouan
Banned User

I'm going to call bull**** on nobody realizing Clark is Superman. Superman was the biggest thing that happened to the world and Metropolis. Maybe nobody got a good look of his face during the destruction, but later, assuming he is going to be in the public alot, someone is going to snap a picture or meet him in the effing Daily Planet. It's just biggest bull**** ever. Mehhhh.

nouan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
Fallen Angel
Earth bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouan View Post
I'm going to call bull**** on nobody realizing Clark is Superman. Superman was the biggest thing that happened to the world and Metropolis. Maybe nobody got a good look of his face during the destruction, but later, assuming he is going to be in the public alot, someone is going to snap a picture or meet him in the effing Daily Planet. It's just biggest bull**** ever. Mehhhh.
It's called Suspension of disbelief.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
smallville fan
Hero

It'll be the same as how they approached it in Smallville, they play off the assumption that no one like Superman could possibly ever live among normal folk.

WILL HAPPILY DEBUNK ANY HATER AND SEND THEM PACKING! :P
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
charl_huntress
The Offender

It seems in the movie the only people who really got a good look at him where the military folk. And he plainly told Swannick he grew up in Kansas. The rest of the population didn't really see him that clearly. There's absolutely no recognition from anyone at the DP when he walked in except Lois.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
I doubt that because it was revealed to the public at large that he already has a secret identity and HAS been living among them already. They have to go with the tradition on this...I think.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #16
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
Inb4peoplejustifythisasBvSisunplanned
We've had this debate many times over. When Ben Affleck was announced as Batman, it was stated that this was done in January and that this sequel was planned back then, long before MOS has its first review.

Quote:
It seems in the movie the only people who really got a good look at him where the military folk. And he plainly told Swannick he grew up in Kansas. The rest of the population didn't really see him that clearly. There's absolutely no recognition from anyone at the DP when he walked in except Lois.
Exactly.

WILL HAPPILY DEBUNK ANY HATER AND SEND THEM PACKING! :P
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't see how they've written themselves into a corner. They just didn't really explore Clark Kent the disguise yet. We haven't really even seen how Clark Kent the disguise acts in this franchise. We just saw that he will BE.

The joke has always been that no one recognizes Clark as Superman because they don't look past how he acts as Clark. The glasses are symbolic of this.

I don't understand why fans don't get this. It's not about realism. It's never been about realism.

I would imagine we'll see this in the sequel, along with Luthor and some other trappings of the Superman mythology.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #18
Fallen Angel
Earth bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I don't see how they've written themselves into a corner. We haven't really even seen how Clark Kent the disguise acts in this franchise yet.

The joke has always been that no one recognizes Clark as Superman because they don't look past how he acts as Clark. The glasses are symbolic of this.

I don't understand why fans don't get this. It's not about realism. It's never been about realism.
Someone sticky this please?

Old 11-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
The Valeyard
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I don't see how they've written themselves into a corner. We haven't really even seen how Clark Kent the disguise acts in this franchise yet.

It's more about logic. We have to believe that these characters aren't idiots. Kal needs to do something drastically different with Clark in order to make him be divergent from the public Superman identity.

He didn't really do anything with it in that last scene. No change in voice or mannerisms. No change in hair. Etc. It was hard to buy.

But given Goyer's comments here that he didn't actually plan a solution for this yet, the portrayal in that last scene made sense.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's more about logic. We have to believe that these characters aren't idiots. Kal needs to do something drastically different with Clark in order to make him be divergent from the public Superman identity.

He didn't really do anything with it in that last scene. No change in voice or mannerisms. No change in hair. Etc. It was hard to buy.
It's not about logic, though. It's about suspension of disbelief and the beauty/inherent sadness/relevance of someone being overlooked because most people can't or don't look below the surface of a person. That's always what the concept has been about.

It has never been about LOGICALLY being able to fool people with a pair of glasses, a different hairstyle, slouching, etc.

And you can apply logic to anything. That doesn't invalidate the strength of the actual concept as a storytelling device.

As for them not doing anythng with it...Clark Kent in that final scene didn't exactly scream "Superman" to me. So I think they did "do something" with it, albeit in a more subtle sense than we're historically used to. We just haven't seen Clark's whole "plan" for blending in. Which makes sense, since that sequence is essentially just a tease to say "See, Clark has a plan for blending in".

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 11-20-2013 at 09:44 PM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #21
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

That's why I'd like them to tone back a bit on the hyper realism. Sometimes when you introduce an element of verisimilitude you only point out how ridiculous the concepts of the story are.

Just let him be Clark. Audiences have been nitpicking about the glasses for generations, nobody cares anymore, they just accept it.

That said the Earth One Superman did a good job of this.

Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
"Obviously we sidestepped it in this movie (Man Of Steel)"

Around the 1:12:00 mark.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=37841

Goyer admits he wrote himself into a "corner" for the sequel. They never came up with a plan on how the 'Clark Kent' disguise could make sense in a film grounded in logic.

I wonder how they'll realistically explain it in the sequel or if they'll bother to explain it.
This is is additional proof, although none is really needed, that Goyer really didn't put that much (or even enough) thoughts into his screenplay. The way the secret identity thing was handled in the film is simply outrageous anyways.

When you fail to properly write or at least properly introduce something that is so integral to the character, it just means that you're not the right person for the job.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
The Valeyard
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
This is is additional proof, although none is really needed, that Goyer really didn't put that much (or even enough) thoughts into his screenplay. The way the secret identity thing was handled in the film is simply outrageous anyways.

When you fail to properly write or at least properly introduce something that is so integral to the character, it just means that you're not the right person for the job.
He also made it seem that having Lois know his secret from before he even became Superman was a cop-out, because they wouldn't know how to pull off the Clark/Superman secret with her in play.

Seems lazy to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post

That said the Earth One Superman did a good job of this.

That's the Brandon Routh approach there. Didn't have a problem with it. It worked. He wasn't a goof like Reeve's.

Harder to do with Cavill, his jawline and hairline are a dead giveaway.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
Powerman34
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post

I guess the writers of Smallville we're lazy too huh? How about you write a screenplay and submit it to the WB. If they like it then we could see your Supes on screen in about 20 years. I just don't get all this hate on Goyer, like it's been said over and over he is a great idea man and he is obviously crafting a DCU on the big screen for us to enjoy. I just wish he had a hand in the Green Lantern movie, just imagine how much better that would have been.

Powerman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman34 View Post
I guess the writers of Smallville we're lazy too huh? How about you write a screenplay and submit it to the WB. If they like it then we could see your Supes on screen in about 20 years. I just don't get all this hate on Goyer, like it's been said over and over he is a great idea man and he is obviously crafting a DCU on the big screen for us to enjoy. I just wish he had a hand in the Green Lantern movie, just imagine how much better that would have been.
That's a good one
Kudos for writing down the most stupid thing I had the displeasure to read on these boards for months.

Last edited by JKKS085; 11-20-2013 at 05:11 PM.
JKKS085 is offline   Reply With Quote