Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Default Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Since the movie's a week away, and a few lucky folks here have already gotten to see it, here is where to post your own reviews of The Wolverine.

Just a few simple rules:

-SPOILER TAGS!!! Use them. If it's something that wasn't in the trailers, TV spots, or behind-the-scenes features, put in spoiler tags. If you're not sure, put it in spoiler tags anyway.

-NO BOOTLEG FOOTAGE!!! No posting clips or images here that are from pirated copies of the film. If it's not an official clip, you can't post it here. And don't go asking for links to pirated material either.

-PLAY NICE!!! Opinions, we all have them. Be respectful of the ones that are different from your own.

These are simple rules. Please avoid the inevitable warnings, infractions, probations, and potential bannings that may and will occur if you do not follow them.

Enjoy the movie! :wolverine

Old 12-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
For me, it's not even being "underwhelmed". It's like I said - I prefer the X-Men as a group, and their stories as a group, over the individual stories.

Also, while the vast majority of fans have been asking for this story to be adapted, it wasn't one that I was particularly attached to. I mean, it was a good story... but Logan isn't my favorite character, he's not even a top favorite character, and this wasn't one of my favorite stories from the comics.

But man, the more and more I watch this movie, the more and more I really appreciate how good it was. And like I said, I wasn't underwhelmed the first time. I loved it originally as well. But I can appreciate it more the more I watch it.

Except for the final act lol. I'm not a huge fan of Mecha-Samurai. Not adamantium bullet bad... but still not good haha.
Agreed on the Mech thing. My biggest disappointment with the film was that they didn't keep Shingin as the main villain as he was in the comics. What I loved about the original comic is that you see Shingin beat the crap out of Wolverine (with a wooden bokan to boot), and also break him mentally and emotionally, and we get to see him slowly build his way back up to challenge Shingin again.

I wanted the film to retain that more personal/toned down feel the original 4ish mini had. And it did, except for the last fifteen minutes, which was unfortunate.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Agreed on the Mech thing. My biggest disappointment with the film was that they didn't keep Shingin as the main villain as he was in the comics. What I loved about the original comic is that you see Shingin beat the crap out of Wolverine (with a wooden bokan to boot), and also break him mentally and emotionally, and we get to see him slowly build his way back up to challenge Shingin again.

I wanted the film to retain that more personal/toned down feel the original 4ish mini had. And it did, except for the last fifteen minutes, which was unfortunate.
That's what I wanted too. They teased it when he first sees Shingen. They could have at least done something with it there. The robot suit was the worst part of the movie next to Viper. They were terrible. Ironically the most "comic book-y" parts of the movie were so over the top ridiculous they wouldn't see the light of day in the Wolverine miniseries.

Great Mind(s) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
speno94
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post

I did like the nod to the comic though where you first see Shingen in a dojo training with a wooden bokan which was a nice touch, but yeah like you said, they maybe could have had an initial fight like in the comics where Shingen completely beats Wolverine and then he builds his way back up till that fight later.

Maybe they could have indeed made Logan fight Shingen in that dojo with the wooden bokans at the start. When Shingen takes his mask off he could have said to Logan "You... come!" and had an initial fight while Logan is still weak and looking like a caveman. Or they could have had the initial fight in the funeral scene?

Anyways, I love the extended cut, the added gore really helps the funeral fight making it more fun and I like the extra f-bombs especially to Noboro "if you don't tell me what I want, I will throw you out that f***** window!"

speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine" - Part 1

I watched it finally on BD tonight, the EE doesnt add a whole lot in terms of the movie itself but the little things it does add help. Its refreshing to see Logan swearing and blood gushing in a Wolverine movie.

I cant wait to see what Mangold comes up with for the sequel, it could be something really special.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine" - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I watched it finally on BD tonight, the EE doesnt add a whole lot in terms of the movie itself but the little things it does add help. Its refreshing to see Logan swearing and blood gushing in a Wolverine movie.

I cant wait to see what Mangold comes up with for the sequel, it could be something really special.
Agreed, the EE is just a little bit better than the original, if I gave that 9 I would say the EE is a 9.2. Not massivly different but with some nice additional bits in it, like Shingen burying his sword in Logans neck.

Sequal will be interesting to see as is sort of a blank canvas compared to TW which was based on Logans biggest story arc pretty much.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Agreed, the EE is just a little bit better than the original, if I gave that 9 I would say the EE is a 9.2. Not massivly different but with some nice additional bits in it, like Shingen burying his sword in Logans neck.

Sequal will be interesting to see as is sort of a blank canvas compared to TW which was based on Logans biggest story arc pretty much.
Yeah the EE went up to an 8.5 from an 8 for the TC for me, not a huge improvement, but an improvement non the less. Some little things like the one you mentioned really did add to the movie.

As far as the sequel, didnt Mangold say he will be basing it off a comic storyline? Even so, I have faith in him like I did with this movie, the guy is a really good director.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Yeah the EE went up to an 8.5 from an 8 for the TC for me, not a huge improvement, but an improvement non the less. Some little things like the one you mentioned really did add to the movie.

As far as the sequel, didnt Mangold say he will be basing it off a comic storyline? Even so, I have faith in him like I did with this movie, the guy is a really good director.
Oh did he? I didnt realise that, but I guess there are plenty of others than he can "borrow" ideas and bits from, doesnt even have to be just one I guess.

I agree as well though with Mangold in charge at least we know we have a director who cares about the character and also in making a good movie first and foremost regardless of genre.

He certainly deserves a little faith and another go at it after his first effort, just hope he can deliver again.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
KevanG
Brony

It's not bad but better than Origins.

All in all a decent flick.

#saveWontkinsMom
KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
bunk
superhero fan

I finally saw this last night. I did enjoy this for the most part, but with the same complaints others have with the ending. I think it was just too many antagonists. The setting was great though. Also, the acting was pretty solid throughout.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #12
BLobo
Banned User

This movie had great potential, but didn´t explore it wisely. Some of the cinematography reminded me Blade Runner, wich was cool.

6/10

BLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 AM   #13
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Not to sound sappy, but does anyone else think that the whole sequence of Wolverine running towards the tower that Mariko is trapped in, as she watches him from below, is like...the first time that the X-Men franchise has played up the "romance" angle in a epic way successfully, especially with the music that's playing in the background at that given moment?

I mean out of all of the previous films that have had romantic pairings of some sort with their characters, I feel like this film is the only time where the romance felt organic, real, and sincere.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote