The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 12-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Default If rumors are true that Fox is only doing the 70s now, how exactly will that work?

Okay, so that Fantastic Four are incredibly sci-fi and I can't see how they can exist in the 70s. That and if Johnny Storm is black, then how can a couple in the 50s have managed to adopt a black child when there were clearly laws against that back then. I mean, if the storms did it anyway, they would have been lynched.

Also, how will Domino fit into X-Force if Weapon X was founded in the late 70s? Clearly somebody who could not have possibly been born yet is already a grown woman. IMO, if the rumors are true that X-Men Apocalypse will completely abandon the previous roster of characters and they'll never return, then I've officially lost all faith in Fox.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
Naji Assan
Banned User

Default Re: If rumors are true that Fox is only doing the 70s now, how exactly will that work

Both the FF and X-Men comic books ran in the 70s. Johnny being black and adopted is fine. You're thinking 1870s with the lynching stuff.

So far, the new franchise is shaping up nicely:

1962 - X-Men: First Class

Roster: Xavier, Magneto, Mystique, Beast, Havok, Banshee

Villains: Shaw, Frost, Riptide, Tempest, Azazel

1973 - Days of Future Past

Roster: Xavier, Wolverine, Magneto, Beast, Quicksilver, Havok (in military as possible prelude to X-Factor Investigations movie)

Villains: Sentinels, Trask, Mystique, Apocalypse prelude

1980s - X-Men: Apocalypse

Roster: Xavier, Wolverine, Beast, Cyclops, Storm, Jean, Quicksilver, Gambit? Dazzler? Psylocke?

Villains: Apocalypse, Four Horsemen?

Naji Assan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: If rumors are true that Fox is only doing the 70s now, how exactly will that work

FF should be set in the 60s

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
Okay, so that Fantastic Four are incredibly sci-fi and I can't see how they can exist in the 70s. That and if Johnny Storm is black, then how can a couple in the 50s have managed to adopt a black child when there were clearly laws against that back then. I mean, if the storms did it anyway, they would have been lynched.
Since when do the Storms live in Alabama?

It might have been uncommon, but there were certainly white people adopting black children in the 1950's. Even before then, it was not unheard of.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
BoredGuy
Killing Time

It won't work, it'll suck

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
It won't work, it'll suck
Its already working. The first movie in the new franchise, First Class got an 87% on rotten tomatoes. That's a grade higher than any Marvel Studios film in the last five years that isn't The Avengers.

Days of Future Past will carry the same quality of writing, direction and acting, as will X-Men: Apocalypse.

Naji Assan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Loki882
Side-Kick

Your kneejerk pessimism and hyperbole is amusing. Anyway back to the topic at hand. Just because they may stay in the FC timeline doesn't necessarily mean the 1970's. FC was set in the 60's and DOFP is set 10 years later. They may do another time skip and set Apocalypse in the 80's. Also, they may very well bring in younger versions of Cyclops, Jean, Storm, etc.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Your kneejerk pessimism and hyperbole is amusing.
that's what I'm here for

but hey, its not all my fault, 3 bad movies in a row followed by a disappointing end to the 4th got me to this point, I was conditioned.

For the record, I still put X2 in my top 5 all-time CBM's

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
Great Mind(s)
Broken

What rumors are these?

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

It could work if done well, but being set in the past decade like as if the X-Men should be set in the 70s or the previous decade, makes me feel iffy.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote