The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 03:23 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 03:23 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 03:23 AM   #3
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 36,922
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Shauner, this is like the millionth time I say this, but I do not care one bit what others think of TDKR. Paul Dini isn't my God and I don't have to agree with every single thing he says. Same goes for Morrison, Dennis O'Neil, and all the other Batman writers that I like. I'm sure there are lots of people I like that liked TDKR and other things I dislike. I'm also sure there are lots of people I like that hated many things that I like. That's just the way the world works. You will never find two people in this world who will agree with on absolutely everything and if you do, it means one of them stopped thinking.

I form my own opinions based on my own judgments; I will listen to what other people say, but I won't agree with them just because they said it.

Two can play your game, by the way. I'm sure I can dig up some TDKR hate coming from some well known names if I look hard enough. Morrison also once said that Batman is "very, very gay" (yes, "gay" as in homosexual). Is Morrison's word the law just because he is Morrison? Do I have to agree with that statement just because I like his work on Batman? Going by the same logic of "TDKR = good because Morrison said so", the answer is yes.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your obsession with other people's opinions on TDKR anyways? You're the only one here that's so concerned with what other writers thought of TDKR, with what other people in general thought of TDKR, with how TDKR will be looked at 10 years from now, etc. Furthermore, you have by-far the most black-and-white mentality out of everyone here, constantly using language like "TDKR haters" and "purists". It's as if you're on an internet quest to cleanse people's souls of all conceivable disgust related to TDKR or something.
Exactly. Does everyone who says Bane isn't a lackey have to agree with Bane's creators, Graham Nolan and Chuck Dixon, because they thought Talia was the mastermind and Bane was the lackey:

Quote:
I liked how Bane was portrayed by Tom Hardy, but I'm not a fan of the mask or the fact that Talia was pulling the strings. Bane would not be manipulated by any man...or woman for that matter.
http://www.newsarama.com/18171-bane-...ins-month.html


Quote:
They treated him as a viable serious threat for Batman. That’s the best I could hope for. I wish he’d turned out to the mastermind in the end. But they made him a household name and I’m grateful for that.
http://www.gothamwdeszczu.com.pl/en/...w-chuck-dixon/

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,625
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Exactly. Does everyone who says Bane isn't a lackey have to agree with Bane's creators, Graham Nolan and Chuck Dixon, because they thought Talia was the mastermind and Bane was the lackey:



http://www.newsarama.com/18171-bane-...ins-month.html




http://www.gothamwdeszczu.com.pl/en/...w-chuck-dixon/
I didn't know Bane's creators said that. Alright. The Heavens have spoken then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Hehehe. I knew that would stir the pot. I also don't give a damn what people think about movies. I love plenty of things that people hate. I brought that up because this thread was a little slow in the last few days so i figured i'd change the topic a bit to what Batman's writers or celebrities feel about the movie.

Like with Chuck Dixon or Graham Nolan, i dont agree with them. But i also dont value their opinion. At least not as much as other writers who i think are much better. They can disagree with the use of Bane and Talia but it's not like they created her (Denny did and he seemed fine with the changes to Talia). Bane isn't exactly like the comics either because he's an amalgamation of other characters. Deacon Blackfire being just one of those characters.

Knightfall for example had a great concept and IMO a good first volume but then it started sucking as it went on.

And Shikamaru calm down LOL. And people say i take things too seriously? Wow.

I say purists because there are purists out there. It's obvious.

My obsession with other peoples opinions on the trilogy? It's something to talk about especially when people are constantly coming on here just to bash something. Which i find hilarious because it has literally been a constant thing with ppl. It's been out for 2 years and the haters still come to this thread to spew their hate. It just makes me think "well, if i hated a movie why the hell would i even talk about it that much". Ive never seen that before. Usually when somebody hates something they move on. I try bringing up positive responses to the movie randomly because it's a thread about Rises that sometimes feels bombarded by the folks who can't stand it, when i think we have the right to celebrate this movie by talking about the things we love. But instead, that doesn't last too long because the "Haters" like Milost will attack in a few minutes to derail the thread into a hatefest.

That's why i bring up the opinions. It's to balance it out a bit.

Plus i have to admit, i enjoy it when some of my favorite writers, directors or actors comment on the trilogy (especially Rises). Because it proves that it's mainly just a small percentage of hardcore fans who didnt like the ending. When Paul Thomas Anderson, Michael Uslan, Dennis O'Neill, Paul Dini, etc etc make some nice comments...the people who i personally LOVE in the business....it puts a smile on my face.
Calm down? That would imply I am angry in the first place, which I am not. I don't see any signs in my post that I "take things too seriously". There are no emoticons, no all caps, no exclamation marks, etc. But if you want to interpret a bunch of plain old text that way, sure.

Sorry if this offends you, but you clearly do care about what other people think. It's not like this is only time you brought up what other writers think. You have a track record of consistently bringing up what other people thought of TDKR, even in threads that have nothing to do with Batman (i.e. the JL speculation thread). On average, You have used more "angry internet language" for lack of better term (things like emoticons, all caps, exclamations marks) than anyone else here (except for maybe milost). You've resorted to purely emotional arguments before, an example being the time you somehow interpreted the claim that TDKR's ending goes against Batman's essence as me thinking I'm better than everyone (). Most importantly, you have a very militant black-and-white view of TDKR's "haters". Anyone who takes issues with TDKR is a hater and everyone not in agreement with the ending is a purist who can't accept different interpretations of Batman. Your most recent response BH/HHH only further proves my point. The guy just casually states "I don't think Nolan gave his 100% into this, that's just the feeling I have" and your immediate response is to get in Penn Jillette mode and call BS off the top of your lungs. So yeah, I think you take things too seriously. If you aren't, that's just the impression you're giving off.

As for why people like me still talk about TDKR today, it's simple. It's because it is an open forum and anyone can freely comment here, both people who liked and disliked the movie. You know my reason though? I've stated it before: It's because of you guys. I like the discussions I have here with (most of) you specifically. Almost every post I read here gives me something to think about regardless of whether I completely agree or completely disagree with said post. It doesn't even have to be something related to Batman; just something to think about in general. But it's just so much easier to jump to ad hominems, right?

As for this thread being "bombarded by haters", I don't see that. The numbers are about even on each side - me, milost, Joker, BH/HHH, etc. vs. BLR, you, DACrowe, theShape, etc.

Shikamaru is online now  
Old 01-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,136
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I didn't know Bane's creators said that. Alright. The Heavens have spoken then.



Calm down? That would imply I am angry in the first place, which I am not. I don't see any signs in my post that I "take things too seriously". There are no emoticons, no all caps, no exclamation marks, etc. But if you want to interpret a bunch of plain old text that way, sure.

Sorry if this offends you, but you clearly do care about what other people think. It's not like this is only time you brought up what other writers think. You have a track record of consistently bringing up what other people thought of TDKR, even in threads that have nothing to do with Batman (i.e. the JL speculation thread). On average, You have used more "angry internet language" for lack of better term (things like emoticons, all caps, exclamations marks) than anyone else here (except for maybe milost). You've resorted to purely emotional arguments before, an example being the time you somehow interpreted the claim that TDKR's ending goes against Batman's essence as me thinking I'm better than everyone (). Most importantly, you have a very militant black-and-white view of TDKR's "haters". Anyone who takes issues with TDKR is a hater and everyone not in agreement with the ending is a purist who can't accept different interpretations of Batman. Your most recent response BH/HHH only further proves my point. The guy just casually states "I don't think Nolan gave his 100% into this, that's just the feeling I have" and your immediate response is to get in Penn Jillette mode and call BS off the top of your lungs. So yeah, I think you take things too seriously. If you aren't, that's just the impression you're giving off.

As for why people like me still talk about TDKR today, it's simple. It's because it is an open forum and anyone can freely comment here, both people who liked and disliked the movie. You know my reason though? I've stated it before: It's because of you guys. I like the discussions I have here with (most of) you specifically. Almost every post I read here gives me something to think about regardless of whether I completely agree or completely disagree with said post. It doesn't even have to be something related to Batman; just something to think about in general. But it's just so much easier to jump to ad hominems, right?

As for this thread being "bombarded by haters", I don't see that. The numbers are about even on each side - me, milost, Joker, BH/HHH, etc. vs. BLR, you, DACrowe, theShape, etc.
If that's why you keep coming back to this thread, then i can respect that. I actually wasn't really talking about you anyway. Not even Joker. It was mainly directed towards milost, travesty, phantasm, and the others who just come in to rip the movie apart. I go into the Burton forums once in a while and say some negative things, but i also add my positive opinions about the Keaton movies. Things i love about them. It's also well over 20 years since those movies and it's all about nostalgia. The hating on here is literally a never-ending thing since 2012.

As for the claim that you made about me caring about others think, and why i post quotes from writers/directors/celebs. I already answered that in the post you're replying to. There's nothing more to say about that. I give you the reasons why. And no, it doesn't offend me. No worries.

When somebody says that Nolan just didn't care about Rises like he did the first two. Im sorry but that's just a false thing to say, opinion or not. And that's how i see it. Because it's painfully obvious that he was really enthused by every minute of making it. At first? Before they started writing?? Absolutely. He didnt care at all. He cared more about Inception. But when they found an idea, to end the story, he gave it his all. If one feels that the story was rushed then OK. But as a filmmaker, the trouble he went to, to make this movie....yeaaah, ill stand by what i said.

Finally..

When i bit your head off when you said it wasn't the essence. I DID get a little too serious there. I think that's ridiculous. Why? Because "essence" to me has nothing to do with major details like "Batman is a tragic hero that needs to go on and on". I think that's not true at all. The essence is that he's a human being without powers who stalks criminals in the night, all because he's been mentally damaged as a child from when he witnessed his mom & dad murdered before his eyes. THAT is the essence. Killing, no killing, black suit, blue/grey suit, Joker or Killer Croc, who he falls in love with, how he ends his journey, how old he is when he does so, are all filled in by various writers. And none of them are more accurate than the next. It's just different ways to fill in the blanks of Bruce's life. The end to Dark Knight Returns, Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Rises are all true to the essence.

To quote a friend on this forum "Georgec"..."Batman doesn't fight criminals forever because he's the "tragic hero". He does it because there are always criminals to fight. And there are always criminals to fight because DC needs to keep making money. There are two primary threats in the Nolanverse - internal (mob) and external (League of Shadows)".

Batman isn't that obsessed with being Batman forever in this. He never made a vow to his parents and isn't going to stay Batman even if there are muggers on the streets. He cares about the mob because that's where it starts. And then he tends to escalation. The mob is gone soon after TDK. The League of Shadows are extinct after the bomb is gone and Talia/Bane both die. It's done. Bruce doesn't need to stay Batman so he goes back to what he originally said in Begins about wanting it to be a symbol so it's more than just the man underneath the cowl. He chooses to live happily ever after. This is not against the essence of the character in any way shape or form. If you dont agree with Bruce not vowing to his parents then it's really the entire trilogy that you have a problem with. Not just Rises. Then i guess it's an elseworlds story to you. But to me, the essence has nothing to do with that. It's stripping down Batman to his bones (Trav will have a field day with that one ). A human who works hard to become Batman, a creature of the night, all because he can't cope with what happened to him as a child. BOOM. There's your essence in the most simplistic form.

Peter Parker gets bit by a radioactive spider, uncle Ben dies and he feels inspired to become Spider-Man to take down criminals. Done.

The details will change, things added. If you dont like the end to Rises or that he retires for 8 years...you simply have a problem with the movie and Nolan's version. But it's AGAINST THE ESSENCE? Nope!

shauner111 is online now  
Old 01-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
milost
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Why did Shauner even bring that up? Seems pretty random, especially when there wasn't even a debate or argument going on at that point in time. Maybe it was the little jabs and riffs on it from Coogan and Brydon?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
It's as if you're on an internet quest to cleanse people's souls of all conceivable disgust related to TDKR or something.

Bingo.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Exactly. Does everyone who says Bane isn't a lackey have to agree with Bane's creators, Graham Nolan and Chuck Dixon, because they thought Talia was the mastermind and Bane was the lackey:
Welp, if that means Bane's very own creators (the writers that invented him) thinks the movie version is lame and a lackey, that definitely means he is! Case closed.


I like how the only plus that's mentioned about it is that it gave Bane a mainstream appeal.


Last edited by milost; 01-26-2014 at 07:50 AM.
milost is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,699
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What mainstream appeal? Everyone hated Bane and his stupid Adam Sandler voice. Didn't you get the memo?

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
milost
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Everyone hated Bane and his stupid Adam Sandler voice. Didn't you get the memo?



milost is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,136
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hehehe. I knew that would stir the pot. I also don't give a damn what people think about movies. I love plenty of things that people hate. I brought that up because this thread was a little slow in the last few days so i figured i'd change the topic a bit to what Batman's writers or celebrities feel about the movie.

Like with Chuck Dixon or Graham Nolan, i dont agree with them. But i also dont value their opinion. At least not as much as other writers who i think are much better. They can disagree with the use of Bane and Talia but it's not like they created her (Denny did and he seemed fine with the changes to Talia). Bane isn't exactly like the comics either because he's an amalgamation of other characters. Deacon Blackfire being just one of those characters.

Knightfall for example had a great concept and IMO a good first volume but then it started sucking as it went on.

And Shikamaru calm down LOL. And people say i take things too seriously? Wow.

I say purists because there are purists out there. It's obvious.

My obsession with other peoples opinions on the trilogy? It's something to talk about especially when people are constantly coming on here just to bash something. Which i find hilarious because it has literally been a constant thing with ppl. It's been out for 2 years and the haters still come to this thread to spew their hate. It just makes me think "well, if i hated a movie why the hell would i even talk about it that much". Ive never seen that before. Usually when somebody hates something they move on. I try bringing up positive responses to the movie randomly because it's a thread about Rises that sometimes feels bombarded by the folks who can't stand it, when i think we have the right to celebrate this movie by talking about the things we love. But instead, that doesn't last too long because the "Haters" like Milost will attack in a few minutes to derail the thread into a hatefest.

That's why i bring up the opinions. It's to balance it out a bit.

Plus i have to admit, i enjoy it when some of my favorite writers, directors or actors comment on the trilogy (especially Rises). Because it proves that it's mainly just a small percentage of hardcore fans who didnt like the ending. When Paul Thomas Anderson, Michael Uslan, Dennis O'Neill, Paul Dini, etc etc make some nice comments...the people who i personally LOVE in the business....it puts a smile on my face.

shauner111 is online now  
Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 66,499
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
That's why i bring up the opinions. It's to balance it out a bit.
Sh** if I did that, then you would see me endlessly defending Avatar all the time.

__________________
Isolated System
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad
 
A Necessary Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,364
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Sh** if I did that, then you would see me endlessly defending Batman and Robin all the time.
Fixed.

__________________
On the success of GOTG:

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 26,036
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Not that others' opinions will affect your own, but I think the more telling thing about TDKR, and the trilogy as a whole, is the praise it gets from other truly great filmmakers like Steven Spielberg, Sam Mendes, Paul Greengrass, Paul Thomas Anderson, and others.

I think the real value of these movies will always be that they are GREAT MOVIES. And even more important, they are great movies about their time, which gives them kind of a cultural historic value about the time they were made in, which makes them stand apart as I think many would agree that the superhero genre really took off, in part, because of post-9/11 feelings. And these movies comment on that in a clever and thoughtful way (i.e. not as tone-deaf and oblivious as Man of Steel did).

In short, for those who value movies as more than that week or month or summer's entertainment, all three (yes including Rises) have a substantial appeal that will make them stand out for years and years to come. That is more than I can say for (deep breath) Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 3, Iron Man 2 for that matter, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, Man of Steel, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Wolverine, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Spider-Man 3, probably the rest of the Spider-Man movies at that, Fantastic Four, Superman Returns....

I guess I am rambling, but the point is that this trilogy I think will be the most enduring set of superhero films from the last 10 years and probably the next 10 as well.

Cue a troll post about feeling it in my bones and stuff.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight
 
BatmanBeyond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Neo-Gotham
Posts: 1,392
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Not that others' opinions will affect your own, but I think the more telling thing about TDKR, and the trilogy as a whole, is the praise it gets from other truly great filmmakers like Steven Spielberg, Sam Mendes, Paul Greengrass, Paul Thomas Anderson, and others.

I think the real value of these movies will always be that they are GREAT MOVIES. And even more important, they are great movies about their time, which gives them kind of a cultural historic value about the time they were made in, which makes them stand apart as I think many would agree that the superhero genre really took off, in part, because of post-9/11 feelings. And these movies comment on that in a clever and thoughtful way (i.e. not as tone-deaf and oblivious as Man of Steel did).

In short, for those who value movies as more than that week or month or summer's entertainment, all three (yes including Rises) have a substantial appeal that will make them stand out for years and years to come. That is more than I can say for (deep breath) Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 3, Iron Man 2 for that matter, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, Man of Steel, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Wolverine, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Spider-Man 3, probably the rest of the Spider-Man movies at that, Fantastic Four, Superman Returns....

I guess I am rambling, but the point is that this trilogy I think will be the most enduring set of superhero films from the last 10 years and probably the next 10 as well.

Cue a troll post about feeling it in my bones and stuff.
Great post all around.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
When you're a show that has the writer of The Dark Knight, Jesus, Ben Linus and produced by JJ Abrams, it's hard to get cancelled.
Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Re-watching this now, ya know I still don't think Nolan was a 100% into this one, there's some shoddy acting moments in it that I can't help feeling he'd have cared more about this kind of thing in the first two.

Not to mention aswell, he was never the best at fight scenes but in this some of it is shockingly bad, most notably in the scene where Batman saves Blake from Bane's thugs and you van just tell they're waiting to be hit by Batman.

And Bane's voice is still laughingly bad.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #15
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,136
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Re-watching this now, ya know I still don't think Nolan was a 100% into this one, there's some shoddy acting moments in it that I can't help feeling he'd have cared more about this kind of thing in the first two.

Not to mention aswell, he was never the best at fight scenes but in this some of it is shockingly bad, most notably in the scene where Batman saves Blake from Bane's thugs and you van just tell they're waiting to be hit by Batman.

And Bane's voice is still laughingly bad.
That's B.S. If you watch him talk about this movie, watch him make it in documentaries, behind the scenes, he was VERY much into this one. Maybe even more. I actually think the acting was better in Rises than the other two overall. There are no extras who can't act. I thought Bale, Caine were even better than ever. I think the fighting has always been a bit of a problem for Nolan, but i think the fighting is better in Rises than Dark Knight by a mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Not that others' opinions will affect your own, but I think the more telling thing about TDKR, and the trilogy as a whole, is the praise it gets from other truly great filmmakers like Steven Spielberg, Sam Mendes, Paul Greengrass, Paul Thomas Anderson, and others.

I think the real value of these movies will always be that they are GREAT MOVIES. And even more important, they are great movies about their time, which gives them kind of a cultural historic value about the time they were made in, which makes them stand apart as I think many would agree that the superhero genre really took off, in part, because of post-9/11 feelings. And these movies comment on that in a clever and thoughtful way (i.e. not as tone-deaf and oblivious as Man of Steel did).

In short, for those who value movies as more than that week or month or summer's entertainment, all three (yes including Rises) have a substantial appeal that will make them stand out for years and years to come. That is more than I can say for (deep breath) Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 3, Iron Man 2 for that matter, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, Man of Steel, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Wolverine, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Spider-Man 3, probably the rest of the Spider-Man movies at that, Fantastic Four, Superman Returns....

I guess I am rambling, but the point is that this trilogy I think will be the most enduring set of superhero films from the last 10 years and probably the next 10 as well.

Cue a troll post about feeling it in my bones and stuff.
Nice post.

shauner111 is online now  
Old 01-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #16
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
That's B.S. If you watch him talk about this movie, watch him make it in documentaries, behind the scenes, he was VERY much into this one. Maybe even more. I actually think the acting was better in Rises than the other two overall. There are no extras who can't act. I thought Bale, Caine were even better than ever. I think the fighting has always been a bit of a problem for Nolan, but i think the fighting is better in Rises than Dark Knight by a mile.
Its not BS its an opinion, the quality in this film is down from the previous two. It feels rushed for me and I'll always believe had WBs not let Nolan make Inception that he wouldn't have done the third one. Shoddy performances, bad editing and certain poorly ceographed fight scenes just make me think it even more.

As for performances the newcomers Matthew Modine and Marian Cottliard were awful.

Bane with the voice is just silly for me, totally ruined what should have been a great villain.

Bale and Hatahway are great. Caine, Oldman and Freeman are a goid as ever too but they don't get as much screentime like the previous ones.

Other cast members are too underused for my liking to make way for people like Blake, which I don't like at all.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #17
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,136
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Its not BS its an opinion, the quality in this film is down from the previous two. It feels rushed for me and I'll always believe had WBs not let Nolan make Inception that he wouldn't have done the third one.

As for performances the newcomers Matthew Modine and Marian Cottliard were awful.

Bane with the voice is just silly for me, totally ruined what should have been a great villain.

Bale and Hatahway are great. Caine, Oldman and Freeman are a goid as ever too but they don't get as much screentime like the previous ones.

Other cast members are too underused for my liking to make way for people like Blake, which I don't like at all.
I thought Cotillard was good, just her death scene was off and that was just a bad take. I actually really enjoyed Modine and think people exaggerate when they say he was bad. He was a cliche character but i thought he pulled it off. He's a prick, he's annoying. He did just that.

shauner111 is online now  
Old 01-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #18
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I thought Cotillard was good, just her death scene was off and that was just a bad take. I actually really enjoyed Modine and think people exaggerate when they say he was bad. He was a cliche character but i thought he pulled it off. He's a prick, he's annoying. He did just that.
Its not exaggerating though is an opinion, Modine was very hammy intact I think thats my problem with Rises more than any other I think its far more hammy than the previous two.

I just felt Cotliard was flat throughout and then even worse when she died.

Its just a shame for me that every time I re-watch this film I like it a less and less.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #19
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer
 
GremlinZilla89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I thought Cotillard was good, just her death scene was off and that was just a bad take. I actually really enjoyed Modine and think people exaggerate when they say he was bad. He was a cliche character but i thought he pulled it off. He's a prick, he's annoying. He did just that.
I'm with ya. Rises had better from side characters than the previous 2. People like to say "bad acting" in an all encompassing way just because Talia's death was a little shoddy. One 2 second moment does not ruin the entire performance, nor other performances in the film. I don't see how Modine was hammy at all. His character a cliched dick cop, but he didn't "ham" anything up.


Last edited by GremlinZilla89; 01-26-2014 at 03:02 PM.
GremlinZilla89 is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #20
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Bane's lair, of cursssshh!
Posts: 15,514
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post

Cue a troll post about feeling it in my bones and stuff.



But for serious, this is how Nolan should have done his fight choreography.


__________________
*Of curssssshhhh Kane would do my avy.
Travesty is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #21
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,818
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Cue a troll post about feeling it in my bones and stuff.
The sage continues.
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...=#post27753739

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #22
theShape
Creature of Darkness
 
theShape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Inside your mind.
Posts: 10,838
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pretty sure Bane wasn't manipulated by Talia at all. She didn't trick him or "use" him without truly caring for him. Though we didn't get to see much of it, it's clear the two of them shared a special bond due to their previous troubles. And although Talia was the true heir to Ra's Al Ghul's legacy, there's nothing to indicate that Bane didn't believe in what they were doing as much as she did. Bane wasn't just doing all of these things and going through all this trouble "because she told me so". If anything, they were working in tandem based on a shared belief, with Talia taking the overall lead in terms of League of Shadows rankings.

A different interpretation of Bane, for sure, but not one that indicates he couldn't think for himself or make his own decisions.

__________________
Past the point of no return...
theShape is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #23
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Pretty sure Bane wasn't manipulated by Talia at all. She didn't trick him or "use" him without truly caring for him. Though we didn't get to see much of it, it's clear the two of them shared a special bond due to their previous troubles. And although Talia was the true heir to Ra's Al Ghul's legacy, there's nothing to indicate that Bane didn't believe in what they were doing as much as she did. Bane wasn't just doing all of these things and going through all this trouble "because she told me so". If anything, they were working in tandem based on a shared belief, with Talia taking the overall lead in terms of League of Shadows rankings.

A different interpretation of Bane, for sure, but not one that indicates he couldn't think for himself or make his own decisions.
I agree with that

I just think for some, myself included, it takes something away for him that in the end hope's not the main villain and its not his plan. It also ruins it that its Batman doesn't really get to finish him.

Edit: and just bevause it makes me chuckle WHERE'S THE TRIGGER?

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #24
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,136
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And the reason why i say that about the fighting is because of the first fight between Bane and Batman. Which to me is the best fight of the trilogy. I think it's realistic compared to all the bulls**t fights we see elsewhere. It's like 2 heavyweights slugging it out. I can care less if it's slow. There's a lot of impact, emotion with each hit. There's a brutality. It's not flashy. It's direct. And i love it. My jaw was wide open the entire time when i saw that in theaters. So much more brutal than the CG fest that Snyder and every other hollywood director likes to put out. Where everything is so sleek, quick, nobody is out of breath...there's always lame music in the backround to enhance the scene. Here, Nolan cut out all music in favor of breathing, grunting, dialogue, and punches. No screwing around.

I remember thinking "this is different". I can just imagine if Zack had to shoot that scene...ughh.

shauner111 is online now  
Old 01-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #25
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
And the reason why i say that about the fighting is because of the first fight between Bane and Batman. Which to me is the best fight of the trilogy. I think it's realistic compared to all the bulls**t fights we see elsewhere. It's like 2 heavyweights slugging it out. I can care less if it's slow. There's a lot of impact, emotion with each hit. There's a brutality. It's not flashy. It's direct. And i love it. My jaw was wide open the entire time when i saw that in theaters. So much more brutal than the CG fest that Snyder and every other hollywood director likes to put out. Where everything is so sleek, quick, nobody is out of breath...there's always lame music in the backround to enhance the scene. Here, Nolan cut out all music in favor of breathing, grunting, dialogue, and punches. No screwing around.

I remember thinking "this is different". I can just imagine if Zack had to shoot that scene...ughh.
I get what you mean but it was slowly paced and in parts completely ridiculous, things like the spin around punch that Bane does or when he throws those pyro things at Bane.

Well if Snyder were to do a fight between two non super powered individuals I doubt he'd have filled it with CG.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.