The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Apocalypse

Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Default Ahab - The Horseman Famine

I've posted a thread about how I believe Wolverine will be used as the Horseman Death in the X-Men: Apocalypse movie.

This got me thinking about who could be used for the other Horsemen. I've speculated on Mystiaue, Gambit and others; but one that really makes sense to me is having Ahab...

Ahab, IMO, is a pretty cool villanous character that has yet to be used. Introducing him in this way, as a Horseman, makes using him ina future movie (whether X-Men, X-Force or whatever) easier.

Let's first talk about Ahab as a villain...

Ahab is a guy names Rory Campbell, who was a psychologist who joined Moira MacTaggert's research team on Muir Island during the time Excalibur was stationed there.

He discovered that in an alternate future of Earth he became the mutant-hunter Ahab, creating and leading the mutant trackers called "Hounds." He tried to prevent that future from coming to pass. Later, when Rory lost his leg in a laser accident, he realized that things might be heading towards him becoming Ahab. He later got a bionic leg from Sebastian Shaw of the Hellfire Club.

Ahab can generate powerful energy harpoons that are formed from, and attached to, his own life force. Anyone who attempts to grab a harpoon gets burned. Each harpoon is keyed to its target's genetic structure, and cannot be moved or deflected by energy; it only stops when it strikes its target, or a close blood relative thereof. A hit from one of these harpoons can kill or seriously injure the target. A person who survives finds their neural pathways burned out and unable to move.

Finally he succembed to the influence of Apocalypse and became the Horesman Famine. As Famine, Ahab drains his victims' lifeforce resulting in emaciation and worse.

Obviously we can't use the Muir Island concept since Moira is ruined, but everything else about Ahab as Famine could be included.

What I love about using Ahab as the Horseman Famine is that it can be used to tie in the Age of Apocalypse timeline (a possible future) that includes Hounds, and specifically Rachel Summers.

I'm not saying this should be used in this movie, just that by including Ahab it opens up as a tie-in this future possibility.

Also, the other Horsemen (assuming Death will be Wolverine) shouldn't just be throwaways. Yes, some of them will need to die/be defeated, but at least one or two of the other Horsemen should be semi-developed characters and they can get away (possibly with Apocalypse) so they can come back in the next movie.

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ahab - The Horseman Famine

Simple question:

Would Ahab be a good option for one of the Horsemen?

If not, who would be better (beyond Wolverine - I have a different thrwad for that discussion)? Should all of the Horsemen be "known" existing characters?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
batboy99
BTVS

I think they should all be known characters. They can half those other horsemen if they show any scenes of a younger apocalypse before he comes to the 80s. But when he does, the horsemen should be pre established characters. Or at least 2 out of 4.

batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy99 View Post
I think they should all be known characters. They can half those other horsemen if they show any scenes of a younger apocalypse before he comes to the 80s. But when he does, the horsemen should be pre established characters. Or at least 2 out of 4.
This.

Can we just have generic "famine" "war" horsemen threads if anything? I doubt many (if any) people want to see Ahab as a horseman.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Hey, I think Ahab would be a great Horseman, especially with possible future characters/movies. Things that pertain to Cable and a future Apocalypse would be good.

This discussion is specifically about Ahab as a Horseman...

My worry about using all "known" characters for the Horsemen is it might become a bit too much as far as splitting focus. Say we had Wolverine and Mystique and Havok and Ink as the Horsemen; doesn't that now force how each was turned into the Horseman to be part of the story? I could see having 2, like Wolverine and Mystique, but I would rather see at least two be new characters.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Super Jim
Side-Kick

If you are not so much a fan of Ahab as a Horseman, who would you rather see as Famine?

In fact, if you could pick the four, Death, War, Pestilence and Famine, who would they be a why?

Old 07-03-2014, 03:16 AM   #7
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
If you are not so much a fan of Ahab as a Horseman, who would you rather see as Famine?

In fact, if you could pick the four, Death, War, Pestilence and Famine, who would they be a why?
Polaris?

Not sure about this, but do the labels "death war pestilence and famine" have something to do with the character?

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
Super Jim
Side-Kick

My four depends on if they want to use all known characters, or put the focus on Wolverine as Death (if my prediction is correct). Here are my picks:

Death: Wolverine (as I predicted and explained in my other thread)
Pestilence: Gambit (or Havok or Caliban or Plague)
War: Havok (or Gambit or Abraham Keiros)
Famine: Ahab (or Autumn Rolfson)

Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ Not always. For example, Caliban has been both the Horseman Death and Pestilence.

The main point seems to be what the Horseman's powers are, and less what the character's powers were prior to being changed.

For example, the Horseman Pestilence seems to always be able to cause desease. The Morlock Plague already had desease type powers, but they were augmented to an unknown degree by Apocalypse during the transformation. When Lorna Dane (Polaris) was turned into Pestilence and given the ability to ingest and synthesize new plagues without harm, controlling the virulence and particular genetic markers. She was then capable of then releasing this virus or plague as a combined mutated strain or as the various separate plagues they originally were.

The Horseman Famine always seems to have starvation type abilities. Roderick Campbell (Ahab) was given the ability to drain energies, reducing energy attacks to nothing, and to weaken anyone with energy-based powers. He mainly drains his victims' lifeforce resulting in emaciation. Autumn Rolfson could disintegrate organic matter and induce extreme hunger pains in humans and animals. She can also cause an emaciated state through physical contact.

The one Horseman that was more generic, as far as the specificity of the abilities, was Death. Pretty much all incarnations had the ability to, well kill. Archangel, Gambit, Psylocke, Logan, etc.; all were altered to be better killers, but in some cases the specifics were not known. Gambit, as Death, had the ability to convert inert materials into toxic substances; for example, transforming breathable air into poisonous gases. I am not sure if it was ever explained what exactly was changed for Psylocke and Logan, as Death, other than Logan being given his adamantium back.

I could see Polaris used as Pestilence, since she's a popular character and it couldn't hurt introducing her, although her powers being effectively Magneto's could cause confusion for the general audience.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #10
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Give her green-colored field force and magnetic blasts then she would easily stand out from Magneto.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 07-04-2014, 03:55 AM   #11
HIA
Side-Kick

How would the general audience be confused with another character having the same power as Magneto?

-'that villain controls metal, cool'
- 'and that girl controls metal too. nice'
Whats confusing about this at all? Lol. Xavier and Emma were on Fc and none got confused

HIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If there Is a brotherhood In APocalypse then odds are the horseman will mostly
be generic henchman who are only In film for their powers with possable exception of Wolverine.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Ok, I guess Polaris could work, but the tough question is whether or not to save her for say, a future X-Factor movie.

The thing that kills me with that idea is Havok. A good X-Factor movie would be to show the government team that consisted of Havok, Polaris, Quicksilver, Wolfsbane, Strong Guy and Multiple Man (if memory serves). I believe Forge was part of the team as well. A main component was the love affair of Havok and Polaris. With Havok as a First Class member it's hard to see that happening.

Personally I don't want Polaris as a Horseman. Other than Wolvie-Death I would like to see the more generic versions of Pstilence (Plague), Famine (Ahab) and War (What's his name)...

Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 AM   #14
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I'd rather see Polaris in a X-Men film even if she gets a role similar to what Havok/Banshee got in the films they appeared in.

A X-Factor movie could be cool but I don't see it happening.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 07-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
Super Jim
Side-Kick

IMO, they'd be stupid not to be looking to continually expand this universe.

We believe they may do that with Deadpool, as well as Gambit, and X-Force has been a rumor as well.

Look at Avengers. Now they're expanding into space with Guardians, and they're looking at adding characters like Black Panther, Doctor Strange, etc.

It just makes so much sense for them to plan this universe out with all aspects, and to do that it helps to have some of the characters as new for the new franchise. Saving Polaris and say Forge, etc., for something like X-Factor makes some sense.

But I do agree, it's unlikely. I just don;t want to see Polaris' first role as the bad guy (Horseman).

Old 07-11-2014, 03:23 AM   #16
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
IMO, they'd be stupid not to be looking to continually expand this universe. We believe they may do that with Deadpool, as well as Gambit, and X-Force has been a rumor as well.

Look at Avengers. Now they're expanding into space with Guardians, and they're looking at adding characters like Black Panther, Doctor Strange, etc.
It just makes so much sense for them to plan this universe out with all aspects, and to do that it helps to have some of the characters as new for the new franchise. Saving Polaris and say Forge, etc., for something like X-Factor makes some sense.

But I do agree, it's unlikely. I just don;t want to see Polaris' first role as the bad guy (Horseman).
If Fox is not greenlighting any spin-off film for principal photography that doesn't feature any characters from the 1st X-Men film since 2000, I don't know in which year that is going to change. Plus with more blockbuster films coming out in the next 5 years, more Marvel Studios films, the rumoured DC films, Star Wars films, Avatar films, more fairy tale based films, more films getting a sequel. Fox might want to stick to what worked for them before - meaning more films to the characters we already saw before and not do something completely different like X Factor, X Force, Deadpool.

"'Nuff said" - SM3

Last edited by psylockolussus; 07-11-2014 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
If Fox is not greenlighting any spin-off film for principal photography that doesn't feature any characters from the 1st X-Men film since 2000, I don't know in which year that is going to change. Plus with more blockbuster films coming out in the next 5 years, more Marvel Studios films, the rumoured DC films, Star Wars films, Avatar films, more fairy tale based films, more films getting a sequel. Fox might want to stick to what worked for them before - meaning more films to the characters we already saw before and not do something completely different like X Factor, X Force, Deadpool.
But why couldn't they take some of the existing characters and transform them into one of these other teams. That way you get both, characters the audience knows, and an expanded universe.

At the same time they can introduce some yet seen characters and then put them into these other teams/movies. Just like they're doing with Gambit (even though we kind of saw him before).

They could easily take Quicksilver now, and put him in say X-Factor. They could easily introduce some other characters, like Polaris and Forge, and then have them in X-Factor, as a government team. Add in one or two new characters, like Strong Guy and Wolfsbane, and there you have it!

Also, you have to know that sooner or later they will want to get Cable into the mix, whether that is in X-Force, or if he's introduced first in another movie. Actually, having him introduced in the Apocalypse movie could actually work...

Old 07-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

I just want to throw this out there because I'm generally curious...

I hated the movie as much as the next person, but how would you guys and gals feel about Liev Schreiber returning as Victor Creed and being given a role as one of the Horsemen?

X-Men Origins Wolverine is easily one of the worst CBMs of all time. No one can argue that. But I thought it he did a great job in the movie. And while we're guessing random characters for the horsemen roles, why not throw his name in? That would also add a level of drama to the battle if Wolverine is NOT one of them (which I personally doubt he will be).

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #19
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeatKitchen View Post
I just want to throw this out there because I'm generally curious...

I hated the movie as much as the next person, but how would you guys and gals feel about Liev Schreiber returning as Victor Creed and being given a role as one of the Horsemen?

X-Men Origins Wolverine is easily one of the worst CBMs of all time. No one can argue that. But I thought it he did a great job in the movie. And while we're guessing random characters for the horsemen roles, why not throw his name in? That would also add a level of drama to the battle if Wolverine is NOT one of them (which I personally doubt he will be).
Personally I liked Schreiber in Origins, though generally I would have liked Sabertooth to be bigger.

In the comics Apocalypse made Wolverine and Sabertooth fight to see which one would end up being his Horseman Death. I could see something like that being worked in. The only drawback is whether it would take away from the overall story (if they are doing the Horsemen story and if Wolvie will be a Horseman as I've surmised).

I envision them showing us Wolverine being turned into the Horseman Death, but I don't see much more than that as far as back story for the Horsemen. Maybe it will be four characters, including Wolverine I hope, being transformed/enhanced by Apocalypse and/or his forces (Sinister/Mystique/etc.???) with Wolverine being the main Horseman.

As much as I want to see Sabertooth and Wolvie battle again, I'm not sure that this is the best movie for that to happen...

Old 07-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #20
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I'm not really keen on Ahab. I'd rather someone we already know, or a more well-known comic book character.

Also, for the movie I'm not sure about giving the horsemen new powers. Wouldn't it be easier for Apocalypse simply to augment their existing abilities?

If, as everyone suspects, Wolverine will get his adamantium from Apocalypse this time, then Wolverine is going to be one of the horsemen. Gambit and Storm could be two of the others, since we are speculating they are both in Eygpt as thieves. Since Mystique was with Wolverine at the end of DoFP, maybe she is the other horseman.

As opponents, that gives us Xavier, Beast, Scott and Jean. Nightcrawler too, if he is an adult team member.

Not sure how Magneto factors into the story. Maybe he's a horseman instead of Gambit.

That's just my late night thoughts and ramblings. It sorta seems logical to me that Apocalypse would augment the powers of Storm and Magneto to use them for destructive purposes, or maybe he will do that with Jean instead?

Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #21
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I'm not really keen on Ahab. I'd rather someone we already know, or a more well-known comic book character.

Also, for the movie I'm not sure about giving the horsemen new powers. Wouldn't it be easier for Apocalypse simply to augment their existing abilities?

If, as everyone suspects, Wolverine will get his adamantium from Apocalypse this time, then Wolverine is going to be one of the horsemen. Gambit and Storm could be two of the others, since we are speculating they are both in Eygpt as thieves. Since Mystique was with Wolverine at the end of DoFP, maybe she is the other horseman.

As opponents, that gives us Xavier, Beast, Scott and Jean. Nightcrawler too, if he is an adult team member.

Not sure how Magneto factors into the story. Maybe he's a horseman instead of Gambit.

That's just my late night thoughts and ramblings. It sorta seems logical to me that Apocalypse would augment the powers of Storm and Magneto to use them for destructive purposes, or maybe he will do that with Jean instead?
I just don't see Storm and Gambit as Horseman.I can defently see Wolverine
and Magneto as Horseman. If they want to pay homage to Onslaught then maybe Xavier.

Apocalypse Is suspose to be charismatic leader according to one of kinberg's many interviews. I don't think all of apocalypse's followers will be kidnapped and put under mind control.

I think Cyclops,Jean,and Storm will defently be fighting Apocalypse's forces.

I think at least 1 of horseman will simply be character thrown In for power displays.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #22
Sithborg
Side-Kick

I'm just curious what the issue with the original Famine is? By far the better choice than any of the other Famines.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #23
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I'm just curious what the issue with the original Famine is? By far the better choice than any of the other Famines.
Maybe because Ahab is not a popular character?

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #24
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

A movie for X-Factor and X-Force would be cool, personally I prefer to see The New Mutants film first because thats the first X-Men's splinter team. But eh, I think as importance is concern, they aren't really that important to be translated in a live-action film, thats just my opinion. Fox already expanded the universe by doing Wolverine solo films and First Class and making more films with the characters that were already introduced in the 2000 film. We got 7 films in 14 years, if you don't think they didn't expand their universe then I don't what that is.

With Marvel Studios, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America and Thor were always gonna be the golden boys. Just look at the videogames and TV shows they released before their movies came out, those four had a lot of appearances. And I know Marvel is also releasing movies for their other properties like GOTG, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange. But even if those films don't do well at the box office it won't affect Iron Man, Avengers and their other successful properties. But if a film like X Factor doesn't do well, I could see it affecting the other X-Men films.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 07-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #25
Super Jim
Side-Kick

A good question is what story/team would an Ahab villain be good for?

Meaning, if they introduced him as the Horseman Famine, and he got away, what story could he be brought back for?