The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2006, 03:50 AM   #10
Nell2ThaIzzay

Default Re: Cyclops Returns(Old Thread Closed)

Despite my opinions AGAINST further sequels to the X-Men films, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a PREQUEL trilogy, one that could run alongside the Wolverine series, and feature a team of Cyclops, Storm, Beast, and Jean as the originals.

Normally, I'd be against an X-Men series without a key character like Wolverine (and I am NOT a Wolverine fanboy in the least), but if it were a prequel series, as Wolverine would be a prequel, the Wolverine fix could be in his own movies (I think movies continuing beyond the events of X-Men: The Last Stand would require Wolverine), while the prequel X-Men series could feature Cyclops, Storm, Beast, and Jean as the original team, give some of that focus to Cyclops and Storm that's been missing in the trilogy we have, as well as still provide openings for other fan favorites such as Gambit, Emma Frost, Havok, and others.

Of course, if it were a prequel in the movie verse, we wouldn't be able to have Rogue, Iceman, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Nightcrawler, Angel, or any of the other, younger members that were shown in the trilogy. But the secondary characters could definatley be more than made up for with other fan favorites that we've been wanting to see.

If done properly I think that a prequel X-Men series could add a lot of depth and dimension to the series as it is. And it would allow for someone like Cyclops to have a better chance at getting the recognition he deserves.

Because let's face it; if he's your favorite or not (and he's not my favorite, there's at least 3 characters that I am a fan of before Cyclops), Cyclops is the most important X-Men character.

Sure, Wolverine is the poster boy (even before the movies), he's the most popular, most recognizable. But Cyclops I believe is the most important. He's Xavier's first student. He's like a son to Xavier. He's the field leader of the X-Men, and always has been. And whether you can accept the movie as a whole or not as a valid take on the X-Men (and I do accept X-Men: The Last Stand, as is well known, as well as the entire trilogy) what happened to Cyclops was just absolutley wrong. He should not have died, period. Not the way he did, not in battle, not trying to triumphantly and heroicly save Jean. He should not have died, period.

Okay, so he's NOT Wolverine. And okay, so Halle Berry is a bigger star than James Marsden. Cyclops absolutley did not need to have the most screen time. Hell, even the biggest role. But, he needed to be there in the end, to rally the X-Men, and fight for Jean to save her (whether that be by killing her, or by bringing her back).

With Wolverine, it works, just because it's in his character to do that.

But for the essence of the story, for the essence of the X-Men, that's not how it should be done.

It wouldn't be out of character for Aragorn to destroy the one ring in Middle Earth. I'm sure he'd LOVE to do it. But it destroys the essence of Lord of the Rings if that were to be the case.

It's the same with X-Men: The Last Stand. Sure, it's in character for Wolverine to fight for Jean, but it destroys the essence of the story.

It's such a shame too, because despite what many people say to the contrary, I think that Cyclops was portrayed brilliantly. The problem is, he wasn't given half a chance for the final movie, and he got the short end of the stick.

But throughout the entire trilogy, when the character is there, I think he is one of the better portrayed characters in the entire trilogy.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote