The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 01-26-2007, 06:29 AM   #26
Carmine Falcone
So it goes.

Default Re: Jim Lee, greatness or over estimated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepot View Post

I dislike the huge arms he gives Bats though...
Yeah in Hush there is a page-spread where Bats has his hands at ''Jason Todd''s neck. His arm there is broader than his ****ing back.

and messianic ocean tides,
and racial roller-coaster rides
and other forms of boredom advertised as poetry.
Carmine Falcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:38 AM   #27
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

That stuff always bothers me.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #28
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

What? I'm sorry but that is stupid. What artist doesn't give Batman muscles or arms like that lately?

Shoot, I'm looking at Sale's art right now and he also had big arms. I love Sale..but if you are going to say stuff negative about Lee's Batman cause of some physiology...like Sale's is so accurate/correct to the human body?

Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Aquaman can only be whole when he loses that hand again and reclaims the super-awesome water hand. It's one of comics' great paradoxes.
trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #29
Carmine Falcone
So it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyside-kick View Post
Shoot, I'm looking at Sale's art right now and he also had big arms. I love Sale..but if you are going to say stuff negative about Lee's Batman cause of some physiology...like Sale's is so accurate/correct to the human body?
Because that's his style, everything is extreme: Scarecrow is extremely lanky, Batman is huge, Penguin and Robin are tiny, The Joker has a huge smile, Two-Face's bad half is an extreme mess...

and messianic ocean tides,
and racial roller-coaster rides
and other forms of boredom advertised as poetry.
Carmine Falcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #30
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

I only used Sale as an example. I also said how a lot of artists do and have made Batman all muscular or having big arms and legs or something.

Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Aquaman can only be whole when he loses that hand again and reclaims the super-awesome water hand. It's one of comics' great paradoxes.
trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #31
TheFalcon
Side-Kick

I'm a really big fan of Jim Lee. His art is perfectly placed on the realistic/unrealistic scale. The details makes it look realistic, but then he adds an extra unrealistic touch that makes it look really cool and iconic. Some may think it's too "image-y" sometimes, but I really like it.

Quote:
And did you notice how his early Batman resembled Frank Millers DKR?
He was trying to make him look like that at first, but he changed him a bit as he went along on Hush. If you see the first spread in the first issue Batman looks really huge (like in DKR) in comparison to the later issues.

TheFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:30 PM   #32
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

I definitely feel that it's greatness mixed with some moments of being overrated. Sometimes he slips, just like any artist is going to, but there is something about his work that spells greatness.

Hey, one thing you can say about the guy is he influenced a lot of the younger talent that we see coming up in comics these days. And most casual comic fans, or even very fairweather comic fans, know who Jim Lee is. So that tells you a lot about the guy as well.

http://www.glitchpoint.com

Check out their song Ignition
SpideyInATree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #33
darknight7
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm really torn about this guys art.
He has some brilliant moments mainly in Black and White and his painted stuff in Hush.
But overall I find his action seq. rather bland and it bugs me that he uses (or rather re-uses) a lot of his poses.
And did you notice how his early Batman resembled Frank Millers DKR?

So, what do u think of him?

I think his art is absolutely amazing. His characters are big muscular and manly looking. What comics should be. Comics aren't supposed to be realistic. It is supposed to be about these in-shape powerful looking heroes.

His art is very true to the old school look of comic books, while adding a new sharp animation look to the style.

His Batman is the best Batman I have seen in quite some time. If I was to say an artist draws his characters too bulky, it would be Mcguinness. His Batman and Superman are obviously VERY cartoony, but they are wayyyy too bulky, and short looking.

Where as Jim Lee makes his characters look very tall yet muscular, they have a great proportion to them.

I know that some people may view it as TOO BIG, but I am going to school for art. And I have grown up watching Arnold and Stallone etc. So I prefer to see my heroes all jacked up. I also workout, and understand that being bigger and stronger is much more intimidating. So when you look at Jim Lee's Batman, according to Batman's bio, that is exactly how he should look. Big and intimidating.

A man who is 6'2, 210lbs, in best human physical shape. Than ya, he is going to be that big. It is natural.
**(EDIT)** - He wouldn't be that big at 210...he looks about...250-270 when Lee Draws him**

So in my opinion, Jim Lee draws a very strong Batman, a well done Batman.

His artwork has inspired me over the passed couple of months, and my art has gotten better since than.

So Yes, I would say Jim Lee is "GREAT"!

(PS: This picture posted isn't even his best work.)

--dk7

Last edited by darknight7; 01-28-2007 at 12:49 AM.
darknight7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #34
darknight7
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine Falcone View Post
Yeah in Hush there is a page-spread where Bats has his hands at ''Jason Todd''s neck. His arm there is broader than his ****ing back.

It all depends on the angle and proportion of the picture. I remember which picture you are talking about...I'm pretty sure.

(if I am right, it is the one where he has Jason By the neck, and it is a front shot of Batman and kind of a side shot of Jason's face)

**EDIT** I was wrong, it is an over the sholder shot from behind Batman...But it is proportioned, the angle that he is on, his arm would look that big**

Anyways, the closer an object is, the bigger it looks. And a 210lbs muscular man, if he is closer to you with his hands, his arms (on that angle) will look big.

EDIT
here is the pic**

--dk7

Last edited by darknight7; 01-28-2007 at 12:52 AM.
darknight7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #35
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

im not too put off by the bulk of his characters...i mean, realistically, batman would never have the physique that lee draws him with, he'd be much more lean...but its comics. so im not too worried about that when it comes to his art.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:48 AM   #36
darknight7
Side-Kick

It actually is true, A man who is that weight and height...technically wouldn't be THAT big.

He would be about 250-270lbs rather than 210.

But it is still cool to see him like a tank

--dk7

Old 10-25-2008, 03:00 AM   #37
Caped Crusader
Silent Guardian

Love Lee's work. I'm kinda on the fence with Alex Ross, his work is beautiful but i've always found it a bit weird

Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:07 AM   #38
[A]
Banned User

This thread needs more images.

[A] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #39
OctaviusINC
It's Clobberin' Time!

I like Lee's work. Some little things he does annoy me, like seeing Bruce's ears through the cowl, stupid nerdy stuff like that. I don't like his Joker, his proportions are extremely exaggerated more so then previous incarnations(Well, maybe Arkahm Asylum is crazier). But he's still a great artist. You gotta admit when flipping through Hush it just looks so damn slick.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #40
batboy99
BTVS

Lee's Batman is my definitive Batman. Yes, his muscles are exadurated big time ,but its a comic book..

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #41
kguillou
Side-Kick

The only thing that bothers me is that Lee gives Batman and Superman the exact same build. Batman is big but superman should be way buffer than batman. Besides that i absolutely love Lee's art, his characters are very dynamic and yet he doesnt push it too far like oh Joe Mad or Liefield for instance.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #42
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
The only thing that bothers me is that Lee gives Batman and Superman the exact same build. Batman is big but superman should be way buffer than batman. Besides that i absolutely love Lee's art, his characters are very dynamic and yet he doesnt push it too far like oh Joe Mad or Liefield for instance.
i disagree. Superman could have been a toothpick and he'd still be able to lift an airplane without effort. Batman needs to be bigger, simply because he's trained his body to physical perfection. Batman has to be buffer. So i don't really understand where you're coming from.

anyways, i don't think Jim Lee is that great. I mean, i like him, but a lot of his characters look the same(though i shouldn't complain. Steve Dillon's the same way and i love his work.) What really bugs me about Jim Lee's work is his colorist. He needs a new one. Everything Lee draws is always glossy and flashy. There's a big difference in mood between Lee's normal colorist, and that piece he did with Alex Ross. I'd like to see Jim Lee colored by someone else.

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:06 AM   #43
-Arya-
Superman/Batman - 2016

I do love Lee's work. It was actually the design I was introduced to. By that I mean actually reading a GN with Lee's work in it. I had seen other designs of Batman done by other artist but Lee's near perfect IMO.

At some points Batman becomes overly huge but more often than not I think its well done.

This is a perfect shot of Batman IMO, and he is not rediculously huge.

This one however looks more like the Hulk than Batman

-Arya- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:58 AM   #44
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

Jim Lee's sketches seem better then what has been published.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMist View Post
i disagree. Superman could have been a toothpick and he'd still be able to lift an airplane without effort. Batman needs to be bigger, simply because he's trained his body to physical perfection. Batman has to be buffer. So i don't really understand where you're coming from.

anyways, i don't think Jim Lee is that great. I mean, i like him, but a lot of his characters look the same(though i shouldn't complain. Steve Dillon's the same way and i love his work.) What really bugs me about Jim Lee's work is his colorist. He needs a new one. Everything Lee draws is always glossy and flashy. There's a big difference in mood between Lee's normal colorist, and that piece he did with Alex Ross. I'd like to see Jim Lee colored by someone else.
I agree completely. It is his colorists that really turn me off from his art. They make everything insanely flashy and bright. I don't find it particularly bright but it just doesn't seem to work entirely all the time.

CaptainClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #45
darknight7
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya1369 View Post
I do love Lee's work. It was actually the design I was introduced to. By that I mean actually reading a GN with Lee's work in it. I had seen other designs of Batman done by other artist but Lee's near perfect IMO.

At some points Batman becomes overly huge but more often than not I think its well done.

This is a perfect shot of Batman IMO, and he is not rediculously huge.

This one however looks more like the Hulk than Batman
I agree, I've always LOVED the first image.

But the second one where he is hunched over I have never liked...it's yucky

--dk7

Old 10-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #46
Dark Victory
Ogdred Weary

Jim Lee: the most overrated person in comics.

Dark Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #47
November Rain
Single Mother

his artwork is iconic

November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #48
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Victory View Post
Jim Lee: the most overrated person in comics.
I don't know, it'd be him or Frank Miller for me, ironic huh?

Anyway I like his art but agree it is overrated. Everyone looks too perfect to the point where even Leslie Thompkins looks like Selina Kyle, and I agree he needs a new colourist, I hate that flash. He is also very generic, I'd like to see him get his own style, the only truly unique thing with him is Hulk Batman. And then there's the faces, Gordon, Bruce, Tommy and Harvey in Hush literally all look the same.

I'm not bashing him, I like his art, but it is extremely overrated, evokes no true style or atmosphere, and he can't draw different looking people for acorns.

Two-Face=Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #49
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

Eh I wouldn't say he is generic, I would say he kind of started that style that a lot of artist try and copy. Jim Lee made that style popular and I know a bunch of artist try to be like him hence why he may seem to be everywhere.

CaptainClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #50
[A]
Banned User

So he's like the Wolverine of comic book artists..?

[A] is offline   Reply With Quote