The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

View Poll Results: I will...
Definitely see the sequel. 79 63.71%
Ony see the sequel if it has more action, better costume etc.. 4 3.23%
Only see the sequel if it has no continuity w/ SR, no kid, no Richard etc.. 11 8.87%
Wait and decide based on more info. 18 14.52%
Definitely not see the sequel. 12 9.68%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #76
Freddy_Krueger
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 646
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlives View Post
You are a bright guy no doubt and a true fan. Legendary aside,I can't fathom why you, as an obvious die-hard Superman fan, settle for the crap Singer gave us. At a time when Spidey and FF2 are getting the Cadillac treatment.

As I told someone else, for the life of me I can't figure some of you guys at times.

This is Superman - there should be no second rate writers, actors, FX or editing. We were had by Singer's wack pack and that an ever smaller group, thnkfully it is shrinking, still tries to defend this mediocrity is beyond me.
lexlives, it's not that we're "settling." Settling makes it sound like we didn't care for the movie but accept it just to keep a franchise going. Those of us who liked the film liked it because we truly enjoyed the film and felt that it did a good job of bringing Superman back.

It's just a matter of perspective. The character is almost 70 years old and has gone through many different incarnations and interpretations. Thusly, everyone has a different idea as to who the character is. It just so happens that there is a split: about half feel that SR was a true representation of the character and about half feel that it wasn't (or it was, but simply wasn't fun enough).

__________________
The term "Singerman" is neither funny nor clever. While we're at it, why don't we refer to Tim Burton's Batman as Burtonman?

If you can't attack SR without attacking Bryan Singer's sexuality, then just keep your thoughts to yourself.
Freddy_Krueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #77
VenomsMom
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 949
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Superman has been around longer than anybody. 70 years worth of comics and 4 movies already under his belt. Numerous cartoon series. Its 2007 and they could not figure away to inject some excitement into the most iconic Superhero of all time. No excuse. He deserves more respect than Spidey and Batman.

VenomsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #78
lexlives
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 765
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Krueger View Post
lexlives, it's not that we're "settling." Settling makes it sound like we didn't care for the movie but accept it just to keep a franchise going. Those of us who liked the film liked it because we truly enjoyed the film and felt that it did a good job of bringing Superman back.

It's just a matter of perspective. The character is almost 70 years old and has gone through many different incarnations and interpretations. Thusly, everyone has a different idea as to who the character is. It just so happens that there is a split: about half feel that SR was a true representation of the character and about half feel that it wasn't (or it was, but simply wasn't fun enough).

Ah, but therein lies the rub. There is no 50/50 split with the new Batman franchise or with Spideramn. That alone tells you there is something inherently flawed with the Singer vision. Does it need to be 100% positive - of course not. But 50/50 tells you it is flawed in a way BB and Spiderman are not. This is a huge, huge problem for any Singer sequel. It could well end up killing the franchise. Its why I am so adamant that WB needs to call it off, step back, look again and reboot down the road.

If a Singer sequel fails you and I will likley not see see another Superman film in our lifetimes. That is, as they say, a fact jack.


Last edited by lexlives; 03-08-2007 at 10:46 PM.
lexlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #79
Sun_Down
Groovy
 
Sun_Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,965
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlives View Post
Ah, but therein lies the rub. There is no 50/50 split with the new Batman franchise or with Spideramn. That alone tells you there is something inherently flawed with the Singer vision. Does it need to be 100% positive - of course not. But 50/50 tells you it is flawed in a way BB and Spiderman are not. This is a huge, huge problem for any Singer sequel. It could well end up killing the franchise. Its why I am so adamant that WB needs to call it off, step back, look again and reboot down the road.

If a Singer sequel fails you and I will likley not see see another Superman film in our lifetimes. That is, as they say, a fact jack.
First off, there are plenty of people who dislike Spider-Man (*raises hand*) and Batman Begins. Granted, there does seem to be more SR-haters, but that "50/50" doesn't mean that there is an inherent flaw in SR. It might mean that. It also might mean that there is something in inherently wrong with the fans. Maybe they'll never be pleased. Especially in this environment where the fans seem to think that the studio "owes" them something. It also might mean that the character is just too big to every truly be captured on screen. Who really knows?

You make a good point, but your "if-then" logic isn't really convincing me.

__________________
Itís the greatest gift we have - to bear their pain without breaking. And itís born from the most human power: hope.
Sun_Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:38 AM   #80
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User
 
\S/JcDc\S/'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,397
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlives View Post
You are a bright guy no doubt and a true fan. Legendary aside,I can't fathom why you, as an obvious die-hard Superman fan, settle for the crap Singer gave us. At a time when Spidey and FF2 are getting the Cadillac treatment.

As I told someone else, for the life of me I can't figure some of you guys at times.

This is Superman - there should be no second rate writers, actors, FX or editing. We were had by Singer's wack pack and that an ever smaller group, thankfully it is shrinking, still tries to defend this mediocrity is beyond me.
Once I saw that FF2 made it into "Cadillac" treatment for you. I think this post was lost on me

__________________
JcDc-- My original join date was: 05-07-2003 --Time flies, and so should Superman!
\S/JcDc\S/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #81
LL2K2
End of an Era
 
LL2K2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 787
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlives View Post
You are a bright guy no doubt and a true fan. Legendary aside,I can't fathom why you, as an obvious die-hard Superman fan, settle for the crap Singer gave us.
I can't fathom why you, as someone who claimed to enjoy the film, continue to focus only on the things you didn't like.

This is why I have the phrase "there is no such thing as a 'true fan'" in my signature. Because everyone has their own vision of what Superman (or any other hero, for that matter) is supposed to look/be/act like. And the fact that there are fans who are able to either take what's presented in front of them and roll with it, or not.

I happen to be an example of the former. Growing up, Chris Reeve was my Superman. When Lois & Clark premiered during my freshman year of high school, Dean Cain filled that role. When Smallville premiered in 2001, Tom Welling was the - emphasis on - Clark Kent (not yet Superman). And yes, for a short while I wanted Tom to be Superman. But as SV progressed, that idea became impossible. So, here we are in early 2007. We have a film out that did all right critically and at the BO, and a pretty darn good person in Brandon Routh to fill the blue tights. As I've said on other threads, SR wasn't perfect, but there is room for improvement for all involved. They really have nowhere to go but up.

__________________
Reeve and Routh are MY Supermen. Enough said. V for Verisimilitude

Last edited by LL2K2; 03-09-2007 at 02:08 AM.
LL2K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:06 AM   #82
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,754
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

LexLives I really hope for an official word from Horn about the sequel at the ShoWest...so you will disappear forever.
Nevertheless there will be an official announcement about the SR sequel in the next mounths (May-July), and I'm 100% sure that the sequel is happening. While you are writing a ton of BS, the WB execs are reading the script.

Ita-KalEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:07 AM   #83
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,754
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

LexLives I really hope for an official word from Horn about the sequel at the ShoWest...so you will disappear forever.
Nevertheless there will be an official announcement about the SR sequel in the next mounths (May-July), and I'm 100% sure that the sequel is happening. While you are writing a ton of BS, the WB execs are reading the script.

Ita-KalEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 AM   #84
dark_b
Side-Kick
 
dark_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 44,068
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
LexLives I really hope for an official word from Horn about the sequel at the ShoWest...so you will disappear forever.
Nevertheless there will be an official announcement about the SR sequel in the next mounths (May-July), and I'm 100% sure that the sequel is happening. While you are writing a ton of BS, the WB execs are reading the script.
he will not go.he will still do the same thing.

they already said that there will be a sequel but he still says thta it is not true

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:31 AM   #85
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,754
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

If he is a man, he has to cancel his account in this forum and disappear forever.
But you are right, he has not dignity. Every mounth he invents another reason to troll and to write that the sequel will not happen. The DVD sales ( good, excecially wordlwide), then the Ghost Rider box office (which is ridiculous compared to the SR box office), and now the JLA movie. LOL
Really pathetic

But, I repeat, I really can't wait for the ShoWest. If Horn says something about the Superman sequel, LexLives will be the doom3d


Last edited by Ita-KalEl; 03-09-2007 at 03:54 AM.
Ita-KalEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:56 AM   #86
I_Hate_U_All
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 530
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

I may be in the minority around here (heh heh) but IIiiiiiii don't think it's tooooo far fetched to believe this lexlives genuinely is dissapointed to see that all that good stuff in the comic was virtually ignored in favor of re-using stm's script for the new flick...

maybe it's just me

__________________
Movie studios are trying to control the internet.
I_Hate_U_All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #87
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,403
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlives View Post
You are a bright guy no doubt and a true fan. Legendary aside,I can't fathom why you, as an obvious die-hard Superman fan, settle for the crap Singer gave us. At a time when Spidey and FF2 are getting the Cadillac treatment.

As I told someone else, for the life of me I can't figure some of you guys at times.

This is Superman - there should be no second rate writers, actors, FX or editing. We were had by Singer's wack pack and that an ever smaller group, thankfully it is shrinking, still tries to defend this mediocrity is beyond me.
Legendary is aside because you have no argument, now you are trying to paint yourself as the "true fan" while I have settled. That is fine that you don't like Singer, Mike and Dan, or the movie. I don't want to change your mind, it's your opinion, and you should stick by it.

Where you go wrong is claiming your opinion is superior to others by patronizing posters and masking your opinion as fact while speaking for a so called majority. We were discussing Legendary's involvement in the sequel process and you turned it around into the overused, "true fan" bit, because your argument ran dry.

When you understand the difference between opinion and fact we might be able to have a sophisticated debate again, until then, do your thing.

__________________

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #88
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,500
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Legendary stated WELL before SR made $200 million domestic that they are on board for the sequel. THAT WAS REPORTED ON THIS VERY SITE LEXLIVES.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #89
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,403
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

http://www.superherohype.com/news/su...ws.php?id=4852

Variety has confirmed that Bryan Singer has signed a deal with Warner Bros. Pictures to direct and produce a sequel to Superman Returns, with Legendary Pictures expected to co-finance.

The film is tentatively intended for release in summer 2009, although the studio stressed that there's not even a script or budget yet.

The sequel is apparently at the very beginning of the development process and, as with any other project, there are any number of factors that must be addressed before it is greenlit.

While Superman Returns wasn't the performer the studio had hoped for, it has earned more than $390 million worldwide and WB and Legendary say they will still turn a profit from the film.

The two companies are sure to insist that the sequel's production budget comes in under $200 million, adds the trade.

In terms of casting, Warner Bros. has an option on Superman Returns star Brandon Routh

__________________


Last edited by Showtime; 03-09-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #90
Superman Prime
In All Conscience
 
Superman Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sancta Terra
Posts: 9,094
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

The dust has settled since then, though. It is very possible for Legendary to revoke that.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #91
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,403
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofHypertime View Post
The dust has settled since then, though. It is very possible for Legendary to revoke that.
I don't know why they would, they have stated that they turned a profit from the film. So it was profitable for them. Wouldn't make sense not to back it. Of rouse they could revoke it, but I still don't understand why?

__________________

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #92
Superman Prime
In All Conscience
 
Superman Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sancta Terra
Posts: 9,094
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Well, I'm just saying. We can't rely too much on what an article said from five solid months ago. Something more recent might be convincing; how pleased was Warner Bros. with the SR DVD sales? That makes a difference.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:48 AM   #93
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,403
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofHypertime View Post
Well, I'm just saying. We can't rely too much on what an article said from five solid months ago. Something more recent might be convincing; how pleased was Warner Bros. with the SR DVD sales? That makes a difference.
I believe Legendary is irrelevant considering they have other partners and can reach a deal with another 3rd party. Legendary will not prevent the movie from happening.

If Legendary made a profit then, why would it change now? I am not following.

__________________

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #94
Superman Prime
In All Conscience
 
Superman Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sancta Terra
Posts: 9,094
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Of course they made a profit by pitching in for Superman Returns. Recently in a letter to someone, I explained how the profit made from SR could've simply been because of the Superman icon itself. So many years without this famous hero, and suddenly he makes a return to the big-screen.

That head-start bonus won't happen with the sequel. Fans will be comparing the sequel (obviously), to SR. And many were disappointed. How does Warner Bros. or Legendary expect to make the same profit?

Maybe Legendary's cooperation is indeed irrelevant. I didn't come to disagree... just state a possibility.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #95
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,403
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofHypertime View Post
Of course they made a profit by pitching in for Superman Returns. Recently in a letter to someone, I explained how the profit made from SR could've simply been because of the Superman icon itself. So many years without this famous hero, and suddenly he makes a return to the big-screen.

That head-start bonus won't happen with the sequel. Fans will be comparing the sequel (obviously), to SR. And many were disappointed. How does Warner Bros. or Legendary expect to make the same profit?

Maybe Legendary's cooperation is indeed irrelevant. I didn't come to disagree... just state a possibility.
It could have been due to the \S/ itself sure, it could have been a combination, or not at all. I thought we were discussing Legendary here, and if the budget is lowered and possible sequel includes more action and a supervillian, how could Legendary not make money?

Many were disappointed? Define many?

This is all speculation anyway. It will all be revealed soon enough and we can talk facts rather than speculation.

__________________

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #96
Billy Batson
Side-Kick
 
Billy Batson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fawcett City
Posts: 1,974
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

So with a smaller budget, what kind of film will you (SR) fans get?

__________________


SHAZAM!







Billy Batson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #97
Superman Prime
In All Conscience
 
Superman Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sancta Terra
Posts: 9,094
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029 View Post
It could have been due to the \S/ itself sure, it could have been a combination, or not at all. I thought we were discussing Legendary here, and if the budget is lowered and possible sequel includes more action and a supervillian, how could Legendary not make money?
The B.O. results, and the DVD sales have everything to do with it. It's not unheard of for big money-makers to get cold feet and shove off the deal. Maybe the villains and action will attract more fans. All I can say, is it had better be a damned good trailer to enforce the promise and intoxicate the crowds.

Quote:
Many were disappointed? Define many?
People love throwing this site around, so I'll give it a try.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/

76% .... Let's compare that to two other classic characters.

Batman Begins: 84% (+8)
Spider-Man 2: 93% (+17)

For a Superman movie, it didn't meet the mark. That might be subjective, but we have to stop and ask ourselves: "Why wasn't it received better?"

Quote:
This is all speculation anyway. It will all be revealed soon enough and we can talk facts rather than speculation.
True.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #98
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofHypertime View Post
People love throwing this site around, so I'll give it a try.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/

76% .... Let's compare that to two other classic characters.

Batman Begins: 84% (+8)
Spider-Man 2: 93% (+17)

For a Superman movie, it didn't meet the mark. That might be subjective, but we have to stop and ask ourselves: "Why wasn't it received better?"
Many many time in cinema history, audiences have demonstrated tjemselves by to rewarding mediocre movies and ignoring masterpieces. I mean, we all know that. Therefore, BO results for me has no real weight at the moment of assessing a movie.


Last edited by El Payaso; 03-09-2007 at 01:31 PM.
El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #99
Superman Prime
In All Conscience
 
Superman Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sancta Terra
Posts: 9,094
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Even if, it might take decades for it to be accepted as a masterpiece. Do you think Superman Returns was a masterpiece, El Payaso?

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #100
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Anticipation for Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofHypertime View Post
Even if, it might take decades for it to be accepted as a masterpiece. Do you think Superman Returns was a masterpiece, El Payaso?
No, but honestly as a Superman movie it was ****ing good.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.