Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 02-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #26
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

Default Re: Power Rangers Re-Imagined.

the original suits DID make them look a bit like a motocross team

Old 02-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #27
Heretic
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I understand that this is a theoretical re-interpretation thread...but unlike many comic book type characters, I just dont think Power Rangers should be taken seriously. Like Godzilla, so much of the appeal is the goofiness and lame production. I think if you put out a serious take on the concpt as a movie then people would be pretty angry. I see people getting drunk with their friends and flocking to see a goofy movie to laugh at.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #28
LostSon88
Side-Kick

It could be done...I mean look at Batman. He's been re-intrepreted so many times throughout the years from his original conception as a dark vigilante to the Campy 60s show to The Frank Miller comics to Batman & Robin to Batman Begins.

Or better yet...look at the TMNT! They've been covered in all most every possible aspect and each one has been successful.

So a character CAN be re-imagined...granted someone puts some real effort is put into it.

It would be interesting to see how someone could spin the MMPR into a completely different "animal".

Old 02-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #29
MaskedManJRK
Side-Kick

I remember that me and another member in the boards were cooking up our ideas for a new version of PR:

It would deal with kids who didn't exactly like each other, and just found their way to Zordon's old base, pretty much destroyed with nothing left but some workable morphers and a less advance version of Alpha 5, which they name Marvin. Their enemy isn't a space villian, but a morally ambigeious mob boss who's found a way to use some of the old tech. They don't use the Zords much, because the first time they used it they pretty much destroyed more of the city than the monster.

Just sort-of looking past the alien designs and focusing more of the reality within the world, I guess.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #30
Orko Is King
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedManJRK View Post
I remember that me and another member in the boards were cooking up our ideas for a new version of PR:

It would deal with kids who didn't exactly like each other, and just found their way to Zordon's old base, pretty much destroyed with nothing left but some workable morphers and a less advance version of Alpha 5, which they name Marvin. Their enemy isn't a space villian, but a morally ambigeious mob boss who's found a way to use some of the old tech. They don't use the Zords much, because the first time they used it they pretty much destroyed more of the city than the monster.

Just sort-of looking past the alien designs and focusing more of the reality within the world, I guess.
I like the idea of them not really liking each other. I'm thinking The Breakfast Club with aliens and giant robots.

Orko Is King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #31
Orko Is King
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dman27 View Post
the original suits DID make them look a bit like a motocross team
The movie suits were pretty damn snazzy though. I wish I could find some good pics of them...

Orko Is King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:39 PM   #32
MaskedManJRK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko Is King View Post
I like the idea of them not really liking each other. I'm thinking The Breakfast Club with aliens and giant robots.
I'd definately watch that.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #33
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko Is King View Post
The movie suits were pretty damn snazzy though. I wish I could find some good pics of them...
Best I can do.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #34
Fried Gold
Banned User

I'd like to re-imagine the Power Rangers into a world were they never existed.

Fried Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #35
GL1
It's pronounced "glee"

Well they DEFINITELY have to not like each other... I mean, not at all... in my redesign ideas, Zack and Kimberly didn't even join til five episodes in. Jason is this uberjock, Trini is an overachiever and Billy is a hopeless helpless supernerd... it's just crazy, with Kimberly so into herself and Zack as jaded as anyone has ever been, these guys have no hope. Add in Tommy, an outcast and bad boy to put Wolverine to shame, and you've got pure chaos, from the juice bar to the battlefield.

I was thinking teen actors, or at least, believably teen characters (Smallville? Not even.), and an obvious slant towards the mature with themes of the psychological fallout of having so much responsibilty, trying to protect their personal lives from Rita and a lot of stress-related drama. Relationship themes would be hard hitting and everyone would have problems all the time... when the Power Rangers win, it's at great cost, and you feel for them.

As for the visuals..., I think a total redesign of the costumes in order... keeping the colors with many nods to the origionals (metal mouths, white gloves, dino-inspired helmets)... I like Artistsean's idea about them transforming into metal forms and being coated with the colored uniforms... that seems cool... but those big white diamonds have to go, honestly... please.

And lets make the martial arts and explosions a bit more brutal... I don't see why (or how) it could be 'R'... I think PG-13 is just fine, and I'd prefer it as an hour long TV format over a single movie... though an epic trilogy might placate me, I guess...

GL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #36
Venom160
Enigmatic Loner

I actually like your idea GL, the only thing id change with it is have it that the general public would fear the Rangers and the government would try and get their hands on them.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
^ The way the live action Transformers movies should've been.

R.I.P. mom, I love you and forever miss you
Venom160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 AM   #37
Paste Pot Pete
No, I build a rocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
hard R rating
Hahahaha

Old 03-15-2007, 01:48 AM   #38
Sam Fisher
Heavy Meddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paste Pot Pete View Post
Hahahaha
Yeah, really

I TRUST IN THE SPIDER-MAN REBOOT
Sam Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:57 AM   #39
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

I'm happy none of you would get the chance to revive the Power Rangers. The only ideas I've seen on here that are good and can work are
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathshed2
I would def have the teens be a little more creeped out about meeting a giant floating head, and being told their the only ones who can save the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedManJRK
It would deal with kids who didn't exactly like each other
Have the same idea in my version.
Quote:
They don't use the Zords much, because the first time they used it they pretty much destroyed more of the city than the monster.
I like the last part more as a beginning thing when they first try using the Zords.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:02 AM   #40
Catman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Space rangers, no teenagers, zed actually evil, zordon an actual general, alpha five not an idiot, hard R rating...I have alot of in depth notes on what I would do with this, but I want to keep them to myself for if I ever make it in hollywood...it's one of my dream projects
lol

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #41
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

the childish cheese factor was about 90% of the Power Rangers appeal.

If you want a "grittier" version of Power Rangers, just make a live-action Gatchaman movie.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #42
GL1
It's pronounced "glee"

That's an interesting point of view. As a child watching power rangers, I never was appealed to by the cheese factor... as an adult watching power rangers, the cheesiness has no appeal to me at all...

I do understand taht some people enjoy that though,and because of how PR is percieved that might be the most easily acceptable way to present a 'new' PR to the public...

GL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 PM   #43
Paste Pot Pete
No, I build a rocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
If you want a "grittier" version of Power Rangers
...look outside the Power Rangers?

It's like asking for a grittier Mickey Mouse Club.

Watch the movie, it's the best you'll get. They fight at night and the Megazord knees Ivan Ooze in the balls; it's like Frank Miller's Power Rangers.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 AM   #44
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

good point pete

Old 03-16-2007, 05:39 AM   #45
Sam Fisher
Heavy Meddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paste Pot Pete View Post
...look outside the Power Rangers?

It's like asking for a grittier Mickey Mouse Club.

Watch the movie, it's the best you'll get. They fight at night and the Megazord knees Ivan Ooze in the balls; it's like Frank Miller's Power Rangers.
Umm...have you seen the original japenese version?

I TRUST IN THE SPIDER-MAN REBOOT
Sam Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #46
crazy monkey
The worst kind of monkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
If you want a "grittier" version of Power Rangers, just make a live-action Gatchaman movie.
Gatchaman, yes. Live-action, no. Let Japanese animators handle anime, please.

-- END!

Old 03-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #47
the a1ant
Awesome

I would love to see a new, PG-13 Power Ranger film. Something like Fantastic Four, in terms of tone/ violence.

I thought the first film was great, minus the annoying kids.

Last edited by the a1ant; 03-17-2007 at 11:22 PM.
the a1ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #48
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Re: Power Rangers Re-Imagined.

I have this whole big idea for a Power Rangers series that doesn't suck monkey balls. It starts with a group of teenagers (naturally) finding the ruins of the command center and using what they can salvage of i's technology to play super hero (you know, for fun). They're "Zordon" would be Alpha 42, the only Alpha model android who survived the command center's explosion. He's deeply pessimistic and rather paranoid, and holds a strong resentment torwards Zordon. The team calls him Marvin. Everything goes well until Zyon, the son of Rita and Zed, comes to town (not knowing of our heroes) and tries his hand at organized crime. The show would be chock full of character developement and Hitchhiker's Guid to the Galaxy references. And, in the season finale, two Rangers would die, and one would suffer an emotional breakdown and quit.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #49
crazy monkey
The worst kind of monkey.

As the credits roll on your season finale, we should get to see the one that suffers a breakdown gettin' some down-home advice on Dr. Phil.

-- END!

Old 03-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #50
Vapor
Omlette Du Fromage

A while ago I came up with two ideas..

Sequel:

A couple years down the line and the group have given up been Rangers. Zedd steals the ninja coins and creates his own team of evil rangers (maybe even cloning the rangers). So Zordon calls back the team and sacrifices himself, giving his life energy to re-power the old Mighty Morphin and Green Ranger power coins. So it would be old vs. new, Morphin vs. Ninja, good vs. evil rangers.

Re-imagination:

No kids. No animal sidekicks. No talking robots. No face in a jar Zordon.. I'd keep the uniforms more or less the same, get rid of the white diamonds on them though and I'd probably use the Ninja powers/zords. Probably keep the tone similar to the first movie but play up the sci-fi aspect a bit more and put in some drama..

It would open on two ships dogfighting in space. They both crash on Earth. A group of 5 unlikely teens (sort of know each other round but aren't friends) - Rocky (Jock) and Kimberly (Cheerleader), Billy (geek) and Aiesha (Do-gooder) and Adam (normal one) all go to check out one of the ships. There they find Zordan (his ship is called The Alpha-5) who warns them of an evil (Lord Zedd) and how Zedd has been after his peoples source of power and has already stolen some of it. He reveals he is dying from the crash and bestows powers on them so they can protect their planet from Zedd.

Mean while Tommy (the new guy, kind of a bully) discovers Zedds ship who basically brainwashes him into thinking Zedd is the god guy and transforms him into the Green Ranger and puts him in command of his army (putty men in style but not). So Tommy starts tearing up Angel Grove and the Power Rangers have to come together as friends and a team and learn how to use their new powers in order to stop him.

~ R.I.P Venom_UK ...True Beleiver
Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote