The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Old 04-23-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
WelshMan
Side-Kick

Default The Carver.....

Anyone whose seen Nip/Tuck will know exactly what im gonna say - does anyone think that Nolan/Goyer have been influenced by The Carver from Nip/Tuck?
Looking at todays pic of The Joker it looks like hes self-inflicted the "smile" that hes going to have, so im guessing that he will cut a "smile" into his victims?
If this is the case, its not the way it was done in the comics but seriously....i think its an awesome idea!, makes him seem like even more of a psycho (if that was possible!?)
Is it possible that Goyer/Nolan have created the best representation of the joker of all time???????????, its a big shout i know, but dont doubt it for a second.........its VERY possible

WelshMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
David Rice
Banned User

Default Re: The Carver.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshMan View Post
Anyone whose seen Nip/Tuck will know exactly what im gonna say - does anyone think that Nolan/Goyer have been influenced by The Carver from Nip/Tuck?
Looking at todays pic of The Joker it looks like hes self-inflicted the "smile" that hes going to have, so im guessing that he will cut a "smile" into his victims?
If this is the case, its not the way it was done in the comics but seriously....i think its an awesome idea!, makes him seem like even more of a psycho (if that was possible!?)
Is it possible that Goyer/Nolan have created the best representation of the joker of all time???????????, its a big shout i know, but dont doubt it for a second.........its VERY possible

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. You might be right, but I think the scaring is from the acid he falls in. I remember reading something along time ago about that.

I'm not sure I want it The Carver way. I think the smiles on his victims should come from the joker gas. Kinda like in The Man Who Laughs.

David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Rynan
Side-Kick

After one short morning, we have lost everything we have fought for.

Warner has won. Their disinformation has succeeded. Whatever information that could have been gathered from the set photos has been dashed to oblivion.

Rome has fallen. The age of chaos begins again.

A proud critic of the SOTB
Why this new Joker hurts me.
INWHD- In Nolan We HAVE DOUBT.
Rynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
MeenieWK
Screw Loose

theyve already done the Gas thing with the rear gas in BB

I dont think they'll go down that route

I dont think they should either... the joker cutting up his victims would be much better!

MeenieWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Personally, I donīt like the idea of a joker, slicing up his victims faces. Its just not very original.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

M3h this whole carving ppl's faces and having his smile carved is not a good idea IMO

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
The Guard
Side-Kick

If he does it once, because it's an obsession, and he has to leave his victims laughing, and he has no other method available, then that's one thing. I don't want him to do it constantly. I've always liked the concept of Joker venom that has to be injected. Something that causes the facial muscles to draw up into a smile. I like the idea of The Joker using different methods, actually. Chemicals, gas, a knife, wires, you name it. Anything to force them to smile.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
Shoemeister
srsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
If he does it once, because it's an obsession, and he has to leave his victims laughing, and he has no other method available, then that's one thing. I don't want him to do it constantly. I've always liked the concept of Joker venom that has to be injected. Something that causes the facial muscles to draw up into a smile. I like the idea of The Joker using different methods, actually. Chemicals, gas, a knife, wires, you name it. Anything to force them to smile.
Yeah, I can agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyPurpleSocks View Post
'There Will Be Buttsecks'.
Shoemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Nepenthes
Side-Kick

this carving idea is like a mosquito. never goes away, never gets any less annoying, impossible to justify

Old 04-23-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
Rynan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
this carving idea is like a mosquito. never goes away, never gets any less annoying, impossible to justify
I think I'm going to put that on my sig.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
NoName86
Side-Kick

I think that perhaps the scars were never his fault. If they go with the mob hitman/betrayel story, then perhaps all of that was given to him...not himself cutting them.

NoName86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:13 PM   #12
bestever23
Side-Kick

they had a new joker picture today?

bestever23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #13
Katsuro
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestever23 View Post
they had a new joker picture today?
Fake

Old 04-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #14
Nivek
Banned User

Hella fake

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #15
Sentinel X
optical illusion

I really like the carving idea, it makes Joker very menacing...and its not as cliche as everyone claims, I dont know a lot of movies were a serial killer has an obsession with carving his victims faces...actually, I dont know any movie that has this 'cliche'.
Also the gas thing was use in BB with scarecrow and I think it would seem too much of a rehash

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Sentinel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:12 PM   #16
Rynan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel X View Post
I really like the carving idea, it makes Joker very menacing...
No. No it doesn't. I makes him a serial killer.

You know what would really be menacing?

A competent Joker.

A Joker that ALWAYS pulls off his crimes, no matter what traps are placed to catch him. I mean, looking at it, that's something that struck me about some of the early Joker stories, like "The Laughing Fish" or "Five-way Revenge", 9 times out of 10 he succeeded. Now that is terrifying. That's like a pitcher who scores a strike 99% of the time. With numbers like that, it's not a matter of if he will kill you, it's when he will kill you.

Also, have you heard of the early "Joker Venom"? It could only kill when was in liquid form(and usually by ingesting it or having injected in the bloodstream). When in gas form, it could only paralyze, probably due to lack of concentration. Now use this example(which Nolan is using as well) and the possibilities become endless and imaginative.

Carving is for losers. Joker Venom is for winners.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #17
Doc Holliday
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynan View Post
Rome has fallen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Fact: The Avengers appeals to a more Shawarma type of audience, while TDKR appeals to the more falafel type.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 04-23-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #18
Katsuro
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel X View Post
I really like the carving idea, it makes Joker very menacing...and its not as cliche as everyone claims, I dont know a lot of movies were a serial killer has an obsession with carving his victims faces...actually, I dont know any movie that has this 'cliche'.
Also the gas thing was use in BB with scarecrow and I think it would seem too much of a rehash
Ichi the Killer. Japanese movie. He has that exact same carved smile.

It also goes completely against the Joker's vanity. He takes pride in his appearance, he wouldn't be cutting up his own face. Then there's the fact that what makes Joker great is that he smiles because he enjoys what he does, not because some facial deformity forces him to.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #19
David Rice
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsuro View Post

It also goes completely against the Joker's vanity. He takes pride in his appearance, he wouldn't be cutting up his own face. Then there's the fact that what makes Joker great is that he smiles because he enjoys what he does, not because some facial deformity forces him to.
YEP!

Old 04-24-2007, 12:07 AM   #20
StorminNorman
Banned User

Quote:
After one short morning, we have lost everything we have fought for.

Warner has won. Their disinformation has succeeded. Whatever information that could have been gathered from the set photos has been dashed to oblivion.

Rome has fallen. The age of chaos begins again.
I love you Rynan, never let me tell you otherwise.

StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #21
David Rice
Banned User

Quote:
No. No it doesn't. I makes him a serial killer.

You know what would really be menacing?

A competent Joker.

A Joker that ALWAYS pulls off his crimes, no matter what traps are placed to catch him. I mean, looking at it, that's something that struck me about some of the early Joker stories, like "The Laughing Fish" or "Five-way Revenge", 9 times out of 10 he succeeded. Now that is terrifying. That's like a pitcher who scores a strike 99% of the time. With numbers like that, it's not a matter of if he will kill you, it's when he will kill you.

Also, have you heard of the early "Joker Venom"? It could only kill when was in liquid form(and usually by ingesting it or having injected in the bloodstream). When in gas form, it could only paralyze, probably due to lack of concentration. Now use this example(which Nolan is using as well) and the possibilities become endless and imaginative.

Carving is for losers. Joker Venom is for winners.
WOW! I didn't even know that! Right on Rynan, good point!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #22
MeenieWK
Screw Loose

Quote:
It also goes completely against the Joker's vanity. He takes pride in his appearance, he wouldn't be cutting up his own face.
I think the vanity thing is a good point... however... why this inistance that the joker cut his face himself?

I see it more that... someone else did that to him.. and so he does it to his victims!

Quote:
Then there's the fact that what makes Joker great is that he smiles because he enjoys what he does, not because some facial deformity forces him to.
Maybe he enjoys what he does.. because his mental state is unstable due to scarring and facial disfigurement?

Im obviously gonna add ... In My Opinion....

just becuase too many people on here seem to think their opinion is actually fact!

MeenieWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:41 AM   #23
gdw
Side-Kick

I loved the idea of J going Black Daliah on his vic's even if he was just straight up with his smile.

As for the carving of his own, I liked the idea that he did it to him self as a step to fully embrace his more permanent clown look.

Since his make was not removable, why should his smile be is the way I would think of it.

I don't like someone doing it to him.

Again, even if he didn't have a carved smile, I loved the idea of that being how he did his victims in the start for one on one kills.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #24
Sentinel X
optical illusion

Quote:

Seriously, how many people do you think know who Ichi the Killer enough to classify the face cutting as a "cliche"? I dont even know who that is

Also I dont see how cutting faces would necessarily mean that hes angry by how he looks. He can do it to just let everyone know who theyre messing with or perhaps he can want everyone to look like him.

I can live with the face carving; of course if it is put in the film Im pretty sure Nolan will implement other classic aspects to the joker such as the joker fish, gas, etc but I dont see how it ruins the charecter

Quote:
You've summed up exactly how I feel.
The most important thing is to keep that psychopath aspect to him alive but having him ONLY use joker gas or acid in the whole movie will be a disappointment for me.

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//

Last edited by Sentinel X; 04-24-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Sentinel X is offline   Reply With Quote