Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #376
itsthebatman
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sancturary for those who dislike the IBIHDT Joker Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynan View Post
Not really.
Alright then. Miranda likes it. Has she no skepticism, no country, no will of her own?

Batman-News.com
itsthebatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #377
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Forget this idea that people who like it have no mind of their own,they are just open to this interpretation,this type of stuff is not gonna fly here

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #378
Judson Caspian
Banned User

The worst of all things is that the majority of people, fans included, who has seen the image likes it. You can see it in polls, threads... etc.

Where does this insanity come from?

Judson Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #379
regwec
Shakespearo

Leave him be- he is no doubt as upset and shocked as most of us were when we saw it. He'll calm down in a few days.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #380
Rynan
Side-Kick

Leave the personal stuff out

-HR

A proud critic of the SOTB
Why this new Joker hurts me.
INWHD- In Nolan We HAVE DOUBT.

Last edited by Hunter Rider; 05-24-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Rynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #381
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson Caspian View Post
The worst of all things is that the majority of people, fans included, who has seen the image likes it. You can see it in polls, threads... etc.

Where does this insanity come from?
Some of them will like it because they like new interpretations. Some will like it because they are unfimiliar with the character and the significance of his appearance (comments along the lines of "it looks perfect- really scary like a cannibalistic psycho" are typical), whilst others are just trying to make the best of it. It's the last group that I have the most sympathy with.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #382
kenellard

The section of people who like it which I can't abide are the people who take characteristics implied by the photo (as reg just mentioned) and then attempt to apply them to the joker, often comlpetely incorrectly

Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #383
StorminNorman
Banned User

Quote:
Hasn't she been off the boards since this event?

Though, to answer your question, yes. You are like seeds in the wind. You go where ever any passing breeze takes you.

Now, don't you have another thread to be at? You know, one where you circle jerk about on how this stuff is great or something?
Rynan, friend, pal, amigo, I understand your frustration but let it play out. No need to get overly personal here.

Yes, I was disappointed with the picture initially - its not what I expected. However it is not that large a leap from the Joker itself. Yes, there is scaring around his lips - however if it is used to enhance the smile, then that is not necessarily a bad thing.

I do not believed this is a "carved" smile. I don't think the Joker did this to himself. Nolan clearly gets the character itself - the comments made by the Joker make this obvious. A carved smile goes against his character, and so I think this is simply a product of an accident - perhaps Batman-caused.

Give it time.

StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #384
Judson Caspian
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
whilst others are just trying to make the best of it.
Then they got a lot of work ahead of them.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #385
itsthebatman
Side-Kick

Screw this. I'm outta here for a while till it calms down. I'm trying to be civil and even people I respect are blowing their top and being insulting. sick of this *****.

Batman-News.com
itsthebatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #386
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Some of them will like it because they like new interpretations. Some will like it because they are unfimiliar with the character and the significance of his appearance (comments along the lines of "it looks perfect- really scary like a cannibalistic psycho" are typical), whilst others are just trying to make the best of it. It's the last group that I have the most sympathy with.
I personaly am hoping that when the movie comes out it will end up looking a little more traditional...at least fixing the lipstick. Also, I really hope he doesn't dye his hair...I don't like the idea of the Joker conciously making himself look like a clown.

Also I still have hopes for how he'll actually act, I still have faith in Nolan to make him act like the Joker...I've been fairly dissapointed in the look of the villians in this past years big comic films...I think that's why my reaction to the Joker's look was more subdued, I've already gone through this with Green Goblin 2 for Spider-man 3. Imagine the way I felt when I was expecting this>> http://pub44.bravenet.com/photocente...num=3697894404

and got a technologically advanced snowboarder

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #387
Ming
The Observer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthebatman View Post
Screw this. I'm outta here for a while till it calms down. I'm trying to be civil and even people I respect are blowing their top and being insulting. sick of this *****.
I'm still waiting to wake up from this nightmare, but don't blame us for our anger. Many of us were hurt when we saw the image, our child of hope pierced upon a bayonet. To us, it was a sad and painful ending to all of our dreams, something we were powerless to stop. Thus, we do the only things that we can do: weep, fume and cry murder.

This is a volatile time, many are apt to attack and slaughter out of their grief, but please bear with us and understand.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #388
regwec
Shakespearo

I just looked at it again, for the first time today. And...yeah, it is pretty awful, isn't it?

Old 05-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #389
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
I'm still waiting to wake up from this nightmare, but don't blame us for our anger. Many of us were hurt when we saw the image, our child of hope pierced upon a bayonet. To us, it was a sad and painful ending to all of our dreams, something we were powerless to stop. Thus, we do the only things that we can do: weep, fume and cry murder.

This is a volatile time, many are apt to attack and slaughter out of their grief, but please bear with us and understand.
That's no excuse to flame posters with an alternate point of view,i don't like the image myself but this is being way to dramatic,a 3 year old little girl right now is probably being held by a pedo or dead ripped from her mother and father in a foreign country,that is real pain

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 05-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #390
kenellard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter rider View Post
That's no excuse to flame posters with an alternate point of view,i don't like the image myself but this is being way to dramatic,a 3 year old little girl right now is probably being held by a pedo or dead ripped from her mother and father in a foreign country,that is real pain
Jeez HR, relax, he was obviously being intentionally O.T.T. The Maddie thing is awful, but there's not much point bringing it up on a Batman message board, we're all aware the things we're talking about are trivial and essentially unimportant

Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #391
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenellard View Post
Jeez HR, relax, he was obviously being intentionally O.T.T. The Maddie thing is awful, but there's not much point bringing it up on a Batman message board, we're all aware the things we're talking about are trivial and essentially unimportant
You'd think he was being intentionally OTT and maybe he was but in my time here you'd be surprised how many times ive seen fans get all dramatic over these changes.....words like rape and Depression for instance are thrown around as casual adjectives

Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #392
regwec
Shakespearo

Well, anything which ruins your mood is "depressing", even if it does not cause you to suffer "depression" as such. I would certainly say that The Joke is depressing.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #393
Ming
The Observer.

Quote:
I just looked at it again, for the first time today. And...yeah, it is pretty awful, isn't it?
*sigh* It is awful and ridiculous. If I were Heath, I would be insulted over intentional attempt to hide him under it as if he is unwanted on this film or they lack confidence in his acting ability.

The make-up only hurts: It hurts Heath because of the concealment, it hurts the fans and only alienates us further from the industry, and most of all it hurts Chris Nolan, because we will never trust him again.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #394
SilentType
Banned User

The depth of emotion on this board is astonishing. I completely understand why people dislike the picture, but who knew it would cause people to not just be upset, but to go through actual grief.
Iím not insulting anyone, I just think its interesting the amount of emotion something like this stirs in people.

Stages of grief, illustrated by Regwec posts:
Denial-
Quote:
We also got "see you in December" in the leaked side that was obviously fake. So there is still hope...
Anger-
Quote:
I can support this only if Christopher Nobrain changes the character's name from "The Joker" to "The Joke".
Bargaining-
Quote:
Hey, want to start a particularly withering online petition with me?
Depression-
Quote:
I feel your pain, but over a few days it will be replaced with a kind of numbness.
Acceptance- Will it come? It may not.

SilentType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #395
Cristo
Banned User

Acceptance is appealing but also a cop-out.

To invest so much emotional energy into your distaste of the figurative destruction of an icon...and then to compromise your values for the sake of the majority and say, "Hey, it's the best we're gonna get.", why it is UNTHINKABLE on my part.

Cristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #396
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentType View Post
Stages of grief, illustrated by Regwec posts:
Denial-
Anger-
Bargaining-
Depression-
Acceptance- Will it come? It may not.
To be fair, the last three of those specimins were jokes. The first I still consider possible. So I do not exactly conform to a flowchart in The Amateur's Guide to Psychotherapy.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #397
Judson Caspian
Banned User

The big question is, what happens when they change the most iconic villain everybody has come to love through decades beyond recognition? You get pissed off and ixnay on the "it's not that bad, is it?"

Old 05-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #398
Rynan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentType View Post
The depth of emotion on this board is astonishing. I completely understand why people dislike the picture, but who knew it would cause people to not just be upset, but to go through actual grief.
I would like to congratulate you. You are probably the only person on this board that understands what's going on.

This image of The Joker, the "Joke" as regwec would say, it is creating a deep sea of emotion, even with someone as stone hearted as myself. I honestly feel betrayed. This image is...an atrocity. Like all Batman characters, we loved him. We spent many a night rooting for Batman to outwit this ingenious foe. With that image, seeing him reduced to shock value schlock, a piece of me died. It killed me. I would not wish that to even my most hated adversaries. This will be Nolan's legacy, like King Herod's slaughter of the innocence. This will be The Joker for years to come! This is our inheritance to our children and their children! The legacy of Kane and Finger, Sprang even, washed away in a deluge of celluloid destruction!

I know Ultimatefan is saying the tone and feel are more important than the look, but I feel that's saying paint is more important than the painting.

A proud critic of the SOTB
Why this new Joker hurts me.
INWHD- In Nolan We HAVE DOUBT.
Rynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #399
regwec
Shakespearo

Beautifully put, Rynan! For me, I think the offense is caused by the suspicion that somebody has underestimated and neglected to understand something I love. I feel the same way when I hear theater producers quoted as saying that Chaucer or Shakespeare needs to be "updated" to connect to contemporary audiences. I tend to ask myself, "why are youat the behest of a this labour, if you lack the engine of love"?

Still, it does seem out of characer for Chris Nolan. I sense a meddling hand.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #400
SilentType
Banned User

Quote:
To be fair, the last three of those specimins were jokes. The first I still consider possible. So I do not exactly conform to a flowchart in The Amateur's Guide to Psychotherapy.
I don't actually buy the rigid 5 stages of grief thing, It was just an illustration of all the emotions around here. I used you because you have been very outspoken on this subject.

Quote:
I would like to congratulate you. You are probably the only person on this board that understands what's going on.

This image of The Joker, the "Joke" as regwec would say, it is creating a deep sea of emotion, even with someone as stone hearted as myself. I honestly feel betrayed. This image is...an atrocity. Like all Batman characters, we loved him. We spent many a night rooting for Batman to outwit this ingenious foe. With that image, seeing him reduced to shock value schlock, a piece of me died. It killed me. I would not wish that to even my most hated adversaries. This will be Nolan's legacy, like King Herod's slaughter of the innocence. This will be The Joker for years to come! This is our inheritance to our children and their children! The legacy of Kane and Finger, Sprang even, washed away in a deluge of celluloid destruction!
Wow…intense.

SilentType is offline   Reply With Quote