Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Concord, NC USA
Official Film Novelization Thread [ MAJOR SPOILERS ]
EDIT: Finished the novel.
SPOILER FREE REACTION:
I loved it. It's very similar to the leaked script, but enough differences in this to indicate that it's not the final version. So there's going to be some changes with the final film. Whether it's major or not, no one knows at this point.
As for my opinion going into this, yes, I've made no qualms about keeping an open mind about the film, looking at this as yet another incarnation of the series. A What If. An Elseworlds (if you're comic fans). I didn't mind most of the changes, not being thrilled at Megatron and Starscream, but definitely coming around with the new images/trailers.
All in all, I think it has a good balance of everything. I'm surprised at all the Autobot speeches. Decepticons could use some beefing up admittedly.
SPOILERS FOR THE NOVEL BEGIN BELOW
Ok, I just picked up the official novelization from the movie at Books a Million.
To begin with, I know a lot of people wanted to know if the beginning and ending were intact.
Then, I'll go into some random details that popped out at me that I found interesting. In some cases, this will be spots that clarified things in the script, in others it may be some nice touches.
Either way, there's major spoilers to be read here, so keep away if you want to remain spoiler free (even though this is the spoiler forum)
THE BEGINNING / THE END:
- There's no Cybertron scenes from what I can tell, but it's entirely possible given the early screening reports. It opens with a description of the Allspark, so maybe Optimus narrates the history/opening. The discovery of Megatron by Sam's great-great grandfather is still there.
- THE ENDING. I skipped to the end, and it does end with Optimus going onto a mountain and sending out a signal/message of hope to the remaining Autobots around the galaxy indicating they have found a new home on Earth. It's not Everest, as the script had, but it's almost exactly word for word the same.
ODDS AND ENDS
- How Bumblebee ended up on the used car lot.
-- Bumblebee is trailing Sam. Makes sense given his infiltration role in the IDW comic line which the film seems to take a lot of tone from.
- Blackout's attack on the base. The electronic screech is basically a sped up modem connect handshake. A techie explains this, which makes sense, given that they're trying to interface with our technology and that's probably the slowest speed the Decepticons can manage.
- Tyrese & Josh's group are the only survivors of Blackout's attack of the base. Epps captures a thermal image of Blackout, obtaining proof of the Decepticon's presence on Earth. Blackout wiped out the base for the sole purpose of keeping his appearance secret. Scorponok was ejected to track down the humans who have this evidence.
- Frenzy is phase II of the Decepticon's attempt at tracking down the location of Megatron. From the prequel novel, the Decepticons find out about Project Megaman and Sector Seven. Blackout's hacking attempt was interrupted when someone physically severs the network connection. Frenzy manages to finally obtain the file, killing three of the President's men.
- Y'know how the original script had a lot of cutesy nods to the phrase "more than meets the eye"? So far, there's only been one, and it made sense without being forced. Basically, when Sam gives Mikala a ride home, and she ends up spilling the beans about being a car geek, she says something like, "You think I'm shallow?" and Sam says, "Nah, I think there's more to you than meets the eye."
- The novelization reads a lot easier than the prequel novel. In so far as the characters "feel" like normal characters instead of cliched stand-ins. Not many G1 nods offhand, although, when Bernie Mac asks where the Camaro came from, the mechanic says maybe it was dropped off by that 18 wheeler that came by last week.
- 100 pages in, Bumblebee makes his move to escape, likely to report to Optimus that he found the relative of the guy who originally found the All Spark. Sam calls 911 since he just saw his $4000 car being stolen. He chases BB on his bike, while on the phone with 911. He sees BB transform and leap off. 911 doesn't believe him. BB must have noticed as he returns before the authorites arrive. It seems as if he's doing everything he can to maintain cover.
- The novel is 291 pages. I may scan in the last chapter/page if anyone requires proof.
- There may be some last minute changes, as the All Spark is referred to as the Energon Cube, and Brawl as Devastator.
- Sam kicks Frenzy, who later rescans the contents of Mikala's purse and takes the form of her Sidekick.
- The three comets in the trailer? Those are the Autobots (Ironhide, Optimus, Ratchet) - Ratchet takes his form from an emergency vehicle that arrives on the scene of the meteroid crash. Ironhide takes his form from a pickup truck in the driveway next to the pool where he crashed.
- Possible change : When Sam says "superadvanced, probably Japanese" in the trailer, the novel has him saying this in reference to Bumblebee. It's entirely possible this is how the trailer was edited, however.
- Optimus generates a 3d hologram of what Cybertron looks like. Lots of metal, lots of destruction, lots of decapitated 'bots, etc. A war ravaged place it looks like.
- Gah. Frenzy is in Mikala's purse when Sam and Mikala are at Sam's house looking for the specs. Eerie. Lots of humor though to make up for it. Autobots trying to understand our words is pretty fun. ('Did you look within the oblong clothing storage device?' 'Perhaps it's beneath the four point floor sheath.')
- Possible change: Jazz is the one who falls into the wires at Sam's house, while the screenings indicate this is Ratchet.
- Optimus never says "My bad." This is all Sam, when his dad is mad at him showing up late, having not done his chores.
- Possible change: Latest trailer has Sector Seven interviewing Sam saying "Your car.. TRANSFORMED?!" and Mikala says "That'd be crazy." No mention of transforming by SS agent.
- Mikala learned about cars from her dad, who's up for parole for Grand Theft Auto.
- Jazz seems to have the ability to magnetize his hands. He grabs Sector Seven's weapons that way.
- Cool exchange between Autobots:
Jazz's response took nanoseconds, the sonic alien equivalent of a single Chinese glyph. "They have Bumblebee!"
"Bumblebee is a brave soldier who understands and accepts the risks of our war," Optimus replied solemnly. Sonics gave way to common English. "For the sake of practice and gaining familiarity with idiom, we should speak now in the language of our new home."
"Our new home?" Ratchet was clearly bemused even as he complied with the directive.
Optimus turned to regard his colleague. "I have had sufficient time to ponder all possible ramifications of a multiplicity of actions, and what I have decided is this: if we return the Cube to Cybertron, our war will continue. I postulate eventual victory, but not for a minimum of another thousand years. We have been fighting so long, I can remember nothing else." With a sweep of one great arm he took in their surroundings: quiet, tranquil, and at peace, albeit unsettlingly organic. "The opportunity to live, to exist in a state of being other than perpetual combat, lies here, on this world. The madness ends today."
"But how?" Jazz understandably wanted to know.
Optimus proceeded to reveal that he had indeed thought out situation in depth. "When we reach the Cube, I will join it with my spark."
Ratchet was openly appalled. "But an energy resurgence of that magnitude will destroy you both!"
"I will not allow the humans to become a casualty of our war," their leader declared firml. "That is not our way. If we have battled so long for naught else, we have fought for that much. It is an immediately achieveable goal. To fight to preserve life, however different it may be from our own." He hesitated for a split second. "That is a belief worth dying for."
One by one his counterparts closed in around him. They transformed together, reasserting the aboriginal mechanical forms they had adopted in order to be able to conceal themselves among the humans. Optimus studied his companions. Though still machines, they looked wholly terrestrial. What would be an appropriate indiginous designation for bots of this kind? Conscious of his own directive to utilize local language and idioms wherever possible, he followed through as he voiced his next command.
"Autobots -- roll out."
- When Sector Seven picks up Sam and Mikala, Frenzy accompanies them in her purse. SS gathers all the people who have interacted with the Transformers (Tyrese/Duhamel's group; Blonde techie; Sam) now that they know there's an impending invasion in the hopes of finding out more information about them.
- The All Spark animates someone's cell phone, which goes insane and has to be put down.
- Frenzy escapes in the dam, and wrecks havoc, causing Megatron to start to defrost. Starscream and gang are on the way. The proverbial fan is about to get hit with excrement. Duhamel takes Sam and the Cube to where Bumblebee is, to get advice on what to do.
- Megatron's first words? "INSECTS."
- Interesting scene:
Bumblebee reached the Cube. For an instant he hesitated and simply stared. The artifact before him was, after all, the original source of all life energy for his kind.
It was not quite like a human confronting God. More akin, Mikala found herself thinking as she looked on, to a sentient laptop being offered a battery that would never run down.
- Bumbleee takes the Cube, and they leave the dam. Megatron awakes, transforms and flies off in alien jet form to meet with Starscream who is waiting outside.
- Bumblebee and Sector Seven link up with Optimus, Ratchet and gang on the freeway. Bonecrusher and Barricade show up. Bonecrusher in vehicle form is scooping vehicles up and tossing them out of the way, before transforming and blading his way up the road. Optimus transforms to stop him as we see in the trailer. Barricade leaps on Optimus' back. Optimus blasts Bonecrusher and handily thrashes Barricade against a freeway pillar. Remaining Decepticons fall back to re-evaluate their strategy.
- They're heading into the city to call in an air strike. They split up. Frenzy interrupts Keller and Magie (techie). Fight ensues. Feels Terminator-ish. She runs out of shotgun ammo, ends up ducking as one of Frenzy's discs end up decapitating Frenzy.
- Air strike in bound. F22 Raptor circling city. Every TF fan should see this one coming. Epps radios F22, which ignores them. Ironhide knows something's up and orders Jazz and Bumblebee into flanking positions as the jet launches missles at them. Bumblebee gets torn in half as a result of the attack, trying to defend humans. He tosses a car up in front of the missle.
- All Spark falls to the ground, triggering a massive shockwave that causes all the electronic devices in the area to come to life. Scene in a shopping center indicates a cart piled high with gaming consoles sprouts arms and tries to free itself from its box. Flat screen tvs sprout legs, stereos stumble about aimlessly. At a nearby gun shop a rifle begins to sprout tendrils and rise but collapses as the wave dissipates.
- Brawl and Blackout arrive on the scene. Jazz jumps on Brawl's back before he can shoot Sam and Mikala. Ratchet and Ironhide show up and start bashing on Brawl.
- Megatron sends out a massive pulse blast and knocks Jazz to the ground before ripping him open and taking his spark.
- Optimus and Megatron lock eyes, as Megatron transforms into a jet. Optimus leaps up onto Megatron dragging him to the ground. They transform and begin to battle.
- Bumblebee drags himself to the cube, and begs Sam to go, and he naturally refuses. "Ggggooooo Ssssammmm..." Ironhide provides cover for Sam as Starscream lands in the street (as seen in the trailer) Blackout tries to stomp on Sam.
- Fun quote for everyone:
Far down the street the battle of the titans continued unabated. Stepping back, Megatron's arms morphed into an enormous piece of alien artillery. The pulse blast they produced sent the stunned Optimus hurtling backward the length of a full city block.
- Sam goes to the roof on Epps urging. He's called in Blackhawks to rescue him and the All Spark. Just as Sam is about to be rescued, Starscream blows up the chopper.
- Mikala helps Bumblebee to fight. He's firing at Brawl in the trailer.
- Barricade is distracted by a two prong attack and gets destroyed by humans.
- Megatron confronts Sam with his arm canon on the rooftops. Optimus grabs him and they fall to the ground with Megatron in pursuit.
- Optimus rolls and fires at Megatron, his arm morphing into his gun. He digs his legs into the side of the building to slow his fall.
- On the ground, Optimus realizes Sam was ready to give his life to protect the All Spark. Megatron leans in claming the cube as his own. Optimus does leg sweep, knocking Megatron backwards. He begs Sam to aim the cube at his spark. He's ready to sacrifice himself to stop Megatron. Sam starts running up Optimus, and at the last minute, aims for Megatron who stumbles, sparks all over and falls.
- Starscream shrieks and takes off into the sky to escape.
- Optimus says Megatron gave him no choice.
"You left me no choice ... Brother. For the Energon to be dealt with, one of us had to die. I was willing for it to be me." He pivoted. "Better it was you."
- Next day at school, Mikala blows off jock who treated her bad, showing she's a car geek. She meets with Sam, who's accompanied by Bumblebee who's playing "All By Myself" until she shows. They kiss, as Bumblebee plays Aerosmith's Young Lust.
- Fallout from the government:
"In an effort to limit awareness of the extent of the situation and its true import, the president has ordered Sector Seven to be dissolved and the remains of the deceased aliens to be secretly disposed of. He and his administration will take the heat for what will officially be called 'a civilian-military experiment gone bad'. There will be a storm of questions from the media. Given that 'alien invasion' is among the least likely explanations to be believed, we think it should be possible to manage the consequent fallout. Public relations-wise, containment will not be perfect, but I am assured that it can be spun."
Turning, the indicated a wall screen. It showed the bow of a huge freighter surrounded by escort vehicles. As the remote camera looked on, the twisted gnarled remains of lifeless Decepticons were pushed through an open railing and over the side of the ship to disappear beneath white-topped waves.
"To prevent any chance of unforseeable environmental fallout resulting from possible degradation of the, uh, bodies, they are being dumped into the Laurentian Abyss. At the disposal point it is seven miles to the sea bottom -- the deepest point in any of the oceans. The programmed detonation at the location will be buffered by the massive depth, pressure, and water column above it. Worldwide sensors will register it as nothing more than a small seimic disturbance typical for an area where the seafloor is spreading. Additionally, the exact site that has been chosen lies within a sunken caldera. I am assured that sufficient kilotons are being employed to implode this geological feature, thus burying everything beneath the resultant rubble."
- Final Page:
Last edited by Cth; 05-28-2007 at 10:39 PM.