The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Misc. Superman Films

Old 06-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Default The Gus Gorman thread

I must be the only person who loves Richard Pryor in this movie. A silly, naive man waaaaay out of his depth. Pryor is like Jim Carrey in that he doesn't have do anything to be funny, he is inherently amusing.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
Catman
Banned User

Default Re: The Gus Gorman thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
I must be the only person who loves Richard Pryor in this movie.
I love you, Kev, but your passion for Gus Gorman and Masters of the Universe disappoints me!

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Metropolis_Man
Collectin' ain't easy!

He brought some good fun scenes to Superman 3. The part that gets me the most is when he slides down the side of the building on ski's and lands perectly on the street. I know we're bending reality in these films, but that takes the cake. Still, its hilarious to me.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
captain_jimbo
I love Star Trek XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
I love you, Kev, but your passion for Gus Gorman and Masters of the Universe disappoints me!
Hey what's wrong with Masters of the Universe?

captain_jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Kev, You're not the only one who likes the lovable dufus.

I love the scene where Robert Vaughan assumes that the person who has robbed Webscoe of all the half-cents would be so smart that he'll keep a low profile and avoid detection; and then Gus arrives to work in a brand new Ferrari!!

I think you hit the nail right on the head when you described him as 'A silly, naive man waaaaay out of his depth' - but I'd also like to add to that and say -at his core, he had a heart of gold and he came good in the end.

And c'mon - it was Richard - Freakin - Pryor.

Legend.

Last edited by Brian Braddock; 07-23-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Brian Braddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
KaptainKrypton
Side-Kick

Quote:
I must be the only person who loves Richard Pryor in this movie. A silly, naive man waaaaay out of his depth. Pryor is like Jim Carrey in that he doesn't have do anything to be funny, he is inherently amusing.
Kevin, whatcha doin' buddy...lookin' for a raise?

Ross Webster - President & CEO of Webscoe Industries
KaptainKrypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
KaptainKrypton
Side-Kick

As for the lead topic? I loved some parts featuring Gorman in the film. A great portion of the Smallville "I just came in from the Pentagon" speech was hollow, and the "ski fall" scene was unnecessary, but after watching the film, you really get a glimpse of what a normal dude is like when thrust into the situations of Superman.

Ross Webster - President & CEO of Webscoe Industries
KaptainKrypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

To me, Harry Osborn is the new Gus Gorman. Originally good guy, starst being influenced by an evil genius, almost kills superhero, realises his mistake and then saves superhero, ends up in a coal mine.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
mcflytrap
Banned User

Quote:
To me, Harry Osborn is the new Gus Gorman....[edited out]
Nice job, dip****.

mcflytrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #10
VenomsMom
Side-Kick

Finally Gus Gorman gets the attention he deserves. A thread dedicated to a classic character. A genius in his own right. Gus Gorman.....we love you. Thank you Kevin. This was a brilliant idea. All the haters out there can vent their anger but Gus is deserving. He was Superman 3. As bad as it was it is still a cult classic. I am lobbying for this character to be in the comics. Richard Pryor will be missed....RIP.

VenomsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
Gustavs01

I do not care RICHARD PRYOR is the best black stand up comic there was and ever will be. As far as Superman 3 goes it was not all that bad Yes Lester screwed the pooch on that one, BUT it still had a good idea of a movie, The chase scenes with the rockets, What happens when Superman gets drunk and turns into a normal person with advanced powers (AKA Bizzaro), I think time will tell on this one, and one of the last and best performances Richard Pryor had in film the Truly Last was MOVING the movie. Hey will a sequel ever come out of that chick knocked up too? Hey its just a thought, and could The current Superfilms possibly play off that worthless Supergirl film, Because if you listen to the radio announcer it says that Superman went on a diplomatic mission to another galaxy and that is why he was absent. But Gus Gorman was a good way for Pryor to hit Mainstream media. Other than setting himself on fire.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavs01 View Post
Superman gets drunk and turns into a normal person with advanced powers (AKA Bizzaro)
That's not what Bizarro is at all.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #13
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Yup.

I'm a bit ??? by that post frankly.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:09 AM   #14
Gustavs01

Quote:
That's not what Bizarro is at all.
WOW! really jeez and here I thought it he was created by Lex in a lab, silly me. Anyways during an HBO first lookish program back before most on this board was born, They had a small chat with Lester and Reeves about the whole Bad Superman scenes it was supposed to be much grander in terms of the story, Websco was to create their own version of Supes, (BIZZARO) and with The real Superman temporarily gone powerless by the the new type of kryptonite, is ordered to destroy and cause havoc, But with Budget constraints and go figure the Salkind's sticking there nose into all thing's Superman, They had it axed down to what we got. I am little mad that they never included any of those interviews onto the DVD's. But if you can get a hold of the script for the film it says Bizarre superman.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #15
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavs01 View Post
WOW! really jeez and here I thought it he was created by Lex in a lab, silly me. Anyways during an HBO first lookish program back before most on this board was born, They had a small chat with Lester and Reeves about the whole Bad Superman scenes it was supposed to be much grander in terms of the story, Websco was to create their own version of Supes, (BIZZARO) and with The real Superman temporarily gone powerless by the the new type of kryptonite, is ordered to destroy and cause havoc, But with Budget constraints and go figure the Salkind's sticking there nose into all thing's Superman, They had it axed down to what we got. I am little mad that they never included any of those interviews onto the DVD's. But if you can get a hold of the script for the film it says Bizarre superman.
Regardless, it's still not Bizarro.

Bizzaro is a weird, opposite version of Superman. He is not the evil version of Superman.

In the movie, Superman becomes corrupt, bitter and evil. I call it the 'Fallen' or 'Corrupt' Superman. And to be honest, I prefer this to Bizarro. Reeve is awesome as a malevolent, angry Man of Steel.

Also, the post-Crisis Bizzaro was created by Luthor, but that was in 1986, three years after Superman III. The original Bizzaro was created via a duplicating ray.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #16
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Regardless, it's still not Bizarro.

Bizzaro is a weird, opposite version of Superman. He is not the evil version of Superman.

In the movie, Superman becomes corrupt, bitter and evil. I call it the 'Fallen' or 'Corrupt' Superman. And to be honest, I prefer this to Bizarro. Reeve is awesome as a malevolent, angry Man of Steel.

Also, the post-Crisis Bizzaro was created by Luthor, but that was in 1986, three years after Superman III. The original Bizzaro was created via a duplicating ray.
Whenever I watch the movie, frankly, I find myslelf wishing that there were more scenes with Reeve's corrupted Superman. For me, he's the best, and most interesting part of the movie. I can watch those scenes over and over again and not get bored of them.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #17
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERBENITEZ View Post
Whenever I watch the movie, frankly, I find myslelf wishing that there were more scenes with Reeve's corrupted Superman. For me, he's the best, and most interesting part of the movie. I can watch those scenes over and over again and not get bored of them.

Absolutely. The stuff with the corrupted Superman is so, so superior to the rest of the film. The best villain of the Superman series is the corrupted Superman. Reeve is just awesome. Instead of just playing evil, he plays him as bitter, resentful, depressed, violent and lustful.

And then the junkyard battle scene is superb. Everything about it is perfect. One of the best scenes in any superhero movie.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 09-09-2007, 05:32 AM   #18
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Imagine if Zod and co had turned up on Earth while Supes was in his corrupted state?

He'd have beat the crap out them - or possibly would've joined them pretending to be an ally and them double-crossed them by inviting them back to the FOS and them bathing them in the rays that turn Kryptonian's mortal.

Now that wouldve been awesome.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #19
Spiderine
Business as Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERBENITEZ View Post
Imagine if Zod and co had turned up on Earth while Supes was in his corrupted state?

He'd have beat the crap out them - or possibly would've joined them pretending to be an ally and them double-crossed them by inviting them back to the FOS and them bathing them in the rays that turn Kryptonian's mortal.

Now that wouldve been awesome.
That would have been classic. He probably would have flirted with Ursa just to piss off Zod as well.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #20
Gabe99
Side-Kick

ComicsAlliance Reviews 'Superman III' (1983), Part One
Quote:
David: This movie is so unapologetic about not giving a f*** about how computers actually work that I can't really hold anything against it.
Superman III (1983), Part Two

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

while there is a lot of crap in S3, there's alos a lot of good:

Supeman LOOKED like Superman! physically, this movie is where Reeve most filled out the suit and look perfectly.

Vaughn was good. as the review said,he was post-Crisis Luthor before the Crisis.

Lana Lang was a much better,more believable love interest for Clark/Superman. she seemed like an actual person,not someone there just to make puppy eyes at Superman,lambast Clark, or need to be rescued.

Drunken Superman is the best thing ever.

i can't tell you how much,after 2 movies of setting up Clark Kent as the stumbling,bumbling everyday disguise for Superman to move amongst us, appreciative i was that we actually got CLARK KENT in this! as a real person! not a disguise,but a guy with his own wants/needs, his own story,his own love interest,and even his own villian in Brad! Clark hadn't been a real person since Jeff East disappeared in the Firtress in the 1st film.

mikey1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #22
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I love Gus Gorman, so entertaining.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
Know One
Side-Kick

Hello,

How's everyone?
I'm the new kid on the block and REALLY hope I don't offend anyone with my opinions or thoughts.
I never connected truly with Gus but everything he did was ok because Superman still played his role straight. And then, when he helps him in the cave, IMAGES ARE WORTH THOUSANDS OF WORDS and you can see when they shake hands that colors means nothing to people of goodwill. Then Superman "pulls a Lois Superman II" by helping Gus find a job (that he doesn't take) and a double "lois Superman II" by helping Lana in such a humble manner.
So Gus - you did a good work in Superman III, you brought a new direction that a lot of people didn't like but, you brought something new.
Thank you.

Know One.

Know One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #24
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Pryor was good in Superman III. The movie wasn't.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
RogueDK
Agent Of The Bat

Quote:

No, you're not the only one. I felt that he, Lorelei & the Websters had great chemistry onscreen despite it being a very flawed film.

Gus: "I didn't know your mother was going to be here..."

Vera: "I'm his sister...his BABY sister!"
As if that was going to soften the ugly of her face.

"Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but it's certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots as the tortured avenger...crying out for Mommy & Daddy..."
RogueDK is offline   Reply With Quote