The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

View Poll Results: Would Like To See A New Character In X4?
No I Wouldnt Care! It Would Be Great To See Someone New 16 34.78%
PLEASE PLEASE NO! This Could Only Lead To Disaster! 30 65.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #26
BMM
Side-Kick

Default Re: Would You Guys Care If A BRAND NEW X-Men Character Was Introduced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyCoolGuy View Post
Nah, you got the wrong "Spike" or "Spyke" or however it's spelled... I don't know about X-Men Evolution (never heard of it before)... but "Spike" in the movie was the thug-lookin kid that hung out with Psylocke, Arclight and that other chick that can detect mutants... Spike was the one that had retractable porcupine-like spines that came out of his head... your thinking of "Marrow" that battle Wolverine when he entered the camp... that's a real character (but was actually a chick in the comics)
No, that's Quill[s]...

Last edited by BMM; 07-16-2007 at 03:06 PM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #27
ReallyCoolGuy
Just a freakin' cool dude

hmmm... okay... I'm confused... guess I'll have to go check out X-Men Evolution... I thought one of the writers said they made up the Quill character for the movie...

...so, you're telling me that "Spike" form the movie was not based on Marrow?

ReallyCoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #28
ReallyCoolGuy

I can't find a detailed description of the powers for "Spike" or "The Spike"... but I found Quill... he was created in 2004... keep in mind, I stopped reading comic books in 1995.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #29
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
hmmm... okay... I'm confused... guess I'll have to go check out X-Men Evolution... I thought one of the writers said they made up the Quill character for the movie...

...so, you're telling me that "Spike" form the movie was not based on Marrow?
No, as I keep telling you, Spike from the movie was based on Spike from the comics.

For heaven's sake, will you please listen to what people are telling you.

Here's a link to Spike on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_%28Marvel_Comics%29

Last edited by X-Maniac; 07-16-2007 at 06:30 PM.
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #30
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I can't find a detailed description of the powers for "Spike" or "The Spike"... but I found Quill... he was created in 2004... keep in mind, I stopped reading comic books in 1995.
It's irrelevant when you stopped or started reading comics.

There is no excuse for not doing some research. Try using google or go to Wikipedia or other resource sites like www.marveldirectory.com - then perhaps you wouldn't be posting all this nonsense.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #31
ReallyCoolGuy

^^^^You're right... there is no excuse for not doing research. I did my best without knowing all the information. Here's some of the findings of my research:

Quills was created for the movie X-Men: The Last Stand by editor Mark Helfrich and was later introduced in the comics. However, in the film, he is wrongfully titled Kid Omega, which is an existing character in the Marvel Universe with completely different powers. When looking at the credits, I saw "Spike" and assumed that was the name of Quill's character since I beleived "Spike" to be a variation of "Marrow". So, unaware of the existence of "Quill", I searched for Spike (I use marvel.com & other resources) & could not find him anywhere.

The following are transcripts from the director/writers commentary on the X3 DVD::

On "Kid Omega" aka "Quills":
Brett Ratner: "This is Ken Leung, he's been in a bunch of my movies who-- you know... he said 'Brett, I got nothing to do', I said, 'Don't worry we'll create a character for you,' and Mark [Helfrich, movie editor] came up with the idea of this character--is it Spike?..." (Penn: "Yeah... no, it's Quill.") Ratner: "Quills. I'm sorry, it's Quills... and he came-- Mark came up with this idea to have quills come out of his face like a porcupine."

On Spike::
Ratner: "This is a character that, again, Mark, my editor came up with."
Penn: "No... no... we came up with it. Spike is from the comics..."
Kinberg: "...we went through all the different characters in the comics."

So, yes, Spike is from the comic books (although, I would like to know when his character was conceived), he is a very obscure character and there is very little information on him. None of the resources you pointed me to gave me a detailed description of his powers for me to make a complete analysis of his depiction in the movie.

Spyke from the TV show is a young, Black mutant who has the powers of Marrow and was most likely added to the cast to add some minority flavor to the TV show.

The girl who I said I didn't know the name of in the movie was Callisto... but they also modifies her powers for the movie.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #32
ReallyCoolGuy

Mr. Maniac, I see that you edited your post since I began replying to it. I appreciate that. I edited mine as well, however, I also left in some information that may seem unnecessary to those that did not see your original post.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #33
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
So, yes, Spike is from the comic books (although, I would like to know when his character was conceived), he is a very obscure character and there is very little information on him. None of the resources you pointed me to gave me a detailed description of his powers for me to make a complete analysis of his depiction in the movie.

Spyke from the TV show is a young, Black mutant who has the powers of Marrow and was most likely added to the cast to add some minority flavor to the TV show.

The girl who I said I didn't know the name of in the movie was Callisto... but they also modifies her powers for the movie.
Spike was first introduced in X-Force 120, in December 2001. He is based on Spyke who was introduced a year earlier in X-Men: Evolution in November/December 2000.

...so your assumption isn't entirely wrong regarding Spike being based upon the X-Men: Evolution character, as both the comic book and movie interpretations are obvioulsy based on him.

Last edited by BMM; 07-16-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #34
ReallyCoolGuy

^^ Thanks, man. Good stuff. So I guess that's 2 characters that appeared elsewhere and then were introduced in the comics:: Spike & Quills

Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #35
BMM
Side-Kick

Spyke was introduced in X-Men: Evolution first, then he was adapted for the books, and then he was adapted for the movie.

Quills was introduced in the books first and then adapted for the movie.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #36
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

it wouldn't really bother me, if they introduced a new character, but, i think they is enough characters from the comic to base on, that it is unnecessary to make one up, if were talking about a main character, not just some background cameo mutant, like the students at the school which I am sure they were plenty of students shown use powers around the school that were not based on a comic character

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:27 AM   #37
November Rain
Single Mother

spike from the movie is so supposed to be evo spyke, most people who watched that have seen evo would have been able to remember him rather than from random comic entry.

November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #38
ReallyCoolGuy

Here's another character introduced in X-Me: Evolution and then later put into the comics::

X-23

Old 07-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #39
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
Here's another character introduced in X-Me: Evolution and then later put into the comics::

X-23
Yes, and X-23 was featured in the "Legion of Losers" series... So she's obviously quite the success...

Old 07-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #40
ToriL90
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I don't think it matters whether or not characters were created in the anime or the later comics: the point is, no new characters in the movies!

ToriL90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #41
iron_spartan
Side-Kick

I don't care if they bring in a new cool character. For instead a mutant like Gambit.

iron_spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #42
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I don't want FOX to introduce a brand new character that didn't appear in the comics at all. Its gonna be like Spyke (X-Men Evolution) and Magician (Ultimate X-Men). There's so many characters in the comics that haven't appear in a X-Men movie yet.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote