The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #76
Penismightier
Side-Kick

Default Re: Luke Cage: Update

Yes, Luke Cage would be a great exploitation movie. It has to be. Ghost Rider should have been a grindhouse type of movie, because Luke Cage and Ghost Rider were like Marvel's equivalent to grindhouse cinema when they first appeared.

Penismightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #77
ANTOINE X
FLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamron View Post
You're right, Singleton did mention that he wanted him for that role. But that was before he was Oscar nominated for Hustle & Flow and signed to play Jim Rhodes in Iron Man. Terrence is very much in demand in comparison to when Singleton first made the suggestion back in 2005, so he may have to look elsewhere. Elba, IMHO, would be a great choice if that's the case.

The main thing I wonder about at this point is the script. The only script review was way back in '03 from Latino Review. El Mayimbe liked it, but I don't trust his judgement much, and it was written by Ben Ramsey, who's written action/comedies like The Big Hit and Love and a Bullet. If the Luke Cage script is similar to those films in tone, (and the review certainly made it sound as though that is the case), it's going to be a sub-par film. Of course, Singleton claimed the script had been worked on since that time, but how much? And by whom?
The script is good I m not too worried about the script. its how you tail it thats worries me. If they do the Grindhouse style I think they re good for making luke cage movie a classic!

http://www.fantasyfiction4real.com/
ANTOINE X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #78
HulkStomps!
Side-Kick

Quote:
That interview is hilarious. Baby Boy is a "classic"? Singleton makes "ghetto movies that are classy"? ROFL.

I can almost swallow Singleton directing Luke Cage. There are much better directors out there, but maybe, just maybe, he could do it justice. But the fact he's indicated that Tyrese and he are a package deal really turns me off to Singleton directing completely. Tyrese is a crappy actor, and he'd be a horrible Luke Cage.

And it annoys me all the more because the perfect Cage is out there in Henry Simmons. He's got the height, the build, the chops. Put a quality cast around him and I've no doubt it could sell.

I can only hope that with Marvel getting the rights back, they'll decide to go in another direction, maybe Heroes for Hire as a superhero-Rush Hour.
This more or less is how I feel as well. I don't feel that Tyrese is a crappy actor, but I DO feel he'd make a horrible Luke Cage! I'm very sure Kevin Grevioux would do a exellent job! I've meet that kat, he's got a killer voice! Although most of all, I like Henry Simmons best for this roll! Using Tyrese would be setting up a movie for failure! I have a great imagination and am a visionary as much, if not more so than most in the entertainment industry, but I really don't know what John Singleton sees in Tyrese for Luke Cage! He'd have to do some Lord of the Rings s**t, to make little Tyrese look like big ass Luke Cage! Why even bother?
John, get with the program, or give it up to someone who cares about this film !

HulkStomps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #79
tamron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTOINE X View Post
The script is good I m not too worried about the script.
Have you read the script? How do you know it's good? I'm not being confrontational, I'm genuinely curious to know if you have inside info.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #80
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
That interview is hilarious. Baby Boy is a "classic"? Singleton makes "ghetto movies that are classy"? ROFL.

I can almost swallow Singleton directing Luke Cage. There are much better directors out there, but maybe, just maybe, he could do it justice. But the fact he's indicated that Tyrese and he are a package deal really turns me off to Singleton directing completely. Tyrese is a crappy actor, and he'd be a horrible Luke Cage.

And it annoys me all the more because the perfect Cage is out there in Henry Simmons. He's got the height, the build, the chops. Put a quality cast around him and I've no doubt it could sell.

I can only hope that with Marvel getting the rights back, they'll decide to go in another direction, maybe Heroes for Hire as a superhero-Rush Hour.
I agree 2000%! I use to say give Singleton a chance at making the movie but now the more I think about Tyrese playing Luke Cage, the more I don't want to even see the movie get made. Dude looks NOTHING like Luke and he's really a paperthin actor if you catch my drift. If Singleton just has to get Tyrese, I'd rather him not make the movie at all.

"Lets all take a moment to laugh at the Miami Heat.

HAHAHAHA."-ESPN poster James Slattery
Docker2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:14 AM   #81
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Marvel does realise that just because the characters are black they don't need a black director.

Its like they just handed the film to the first black director who was intrested.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:02 AM   #82
TNC9852002
Banned User

I like Henry Simmons for the role, but I'm not sure if he could bring in the money like Tyrese, who is a capable actor, but not quite who I'd picture as Luke Cage.

If they can get some Academy Nominated or Winning supporting cast, then I'd be more lenient on who they'd get as Cage.

The Luke Cage actor shouldn't be over 35. If they want to do sequels, I'd like it if they kept the spryness and vulnerability of the character intact. They can't do that if they were to get someone like Ving Rhames, who's pushing 50.

-TNC

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:26 AM   #83
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Marvel does realise that just because the characters are black they don't need a black director.

Its like they just handed the film to the first black director who was intrested.
That's not true. Also why not hand the project to a black director who was interested. Better than a Chinese director not interested. LOL I think Singleton pursued this project which is a good thing.

Advanced Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #84
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Dark View Post
That's not true. Also why not hand the project to a black director who was interested. Better than a Chinese director not interested. LOL I think Singleton pursued this project which is a good thing.
If Singleton persued the movie and was generally intrested the project thats cool. But If Marvel just handed the film to him because his an 'black director' and they thought its a black character so he should do it thats not cool.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:52 AM   #85
Advanced Dark
Banned User

First of all Sony "had" the rights to this film when Singleton was attached. Now Marvel has the rights and they still want him.

Advanced Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #86
tamron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC9852002 View Post
I like Henry Simmons for the role, but I'm not sure if he could bring in the money like Tyrese...
Since when did Tyrese become box-office gold? Movies that he's carried, like Waist Deep and Baby Boy, turned small profits, but they were low budget affairs. He's not a "bankable" star by any means. This film isn't going to have a bankable star, it's going to be about the character. The story has to draw the crowds in.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #87
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC9852002 View Post
The Luke Cage actor shouldn't be over 35. If they want to do sequels, I'd like it if they kept the spryness and vulnerability of the character intact. They can't do that if they were to get someone like Ving Rhames, who's pushing 50.
In a certain sense, Luke Cage has to be relatively young, stupid, and easily influenced. At least at the beginning of the movie (or in flashbacks), when he ends up in jail.

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #88
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Since when did Tyrese become box-office gold? Movies that he's carried, like Waist Deep and Baby Boy, turned small profits, but they were low budget affairs. He's not a "bankable" star by any means. This film isn't going to have a bankable star, it's going to be about the character. The story has to draw the crowds in.
most superhero films up until recently had unknown or not very recognisable actors in the lead role and bigger names in the supporting cast to draw in the public.

Superman had christopher reeves and then big names like Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman

Batman had Micheal Keaton and then Jack Nicholson as the big name.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:07 PM   #89
tamron
Side-Kick

^I get that. But he brought up Tyrese's bankability, of which he has little, definitely not enough for that to be a big factor. Simmons is also not a big name, a better actor, and is a better fit for the character. And I'm sure there are other actors that would fit better as Luke Cage than Tyrese that I just don't know about.

The movies that you're mentioning are exactly why I think Simmons or someone like him can work. Get the right fit, instead an actor with a higher profile in the lead. Then tell a good story, and the box will be there.

Last edited by tamron; 08-31-2007 at 02:14 PM.
tamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:10 PM   #90
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Agreed! Tyrese is a average actor at best and puts you in mind of Luke Cage at all. This is a bad move! Why does Singleton have to have this guy in all his movies anyway? DL anyone?
Jokes! But seriously............Tyrese..........no.

"Lets all take a moment to laugh at the Miami Heat.

HAHAHAHA."-ESPN poster James Slattery
Docker2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:19 PM   #91
Penismightier
Side-Kick

Tyrese isn't nearly big enough to play Luke Cage. And Luke Cage isn't the superhero version of Boyz in the Hood.

Penismightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #92
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I want this film by 2009..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #93
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penismightier View Post
Tyrese isn't nearly big enough to play Luke Cage. And Luke Cage isn't the superhero version of Boyz in the Hood.
And I'll be damned if I'm going to sit back and watch them kill Ricky again!

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #94
Blade X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
most superhero films up until recently had unknown or not very recognisable actors in the lead role and bigger names in the supporting cast to draw in the public.

Superman had christopher reeves and then big names like Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman

Batman had Micheal Keaton and then Jack Nicholson as the big name.
Superman,Batman,Hulk,and Spider-Man are well known characters and DO NOT need big name/well known actors to play them. The characters themselves, sell those movies. Lesser known characters like Daredevil,Blade, Iron Man,Ghost Rider,and Luke Cage need big name and/or well known actors to play them since those characters names alone can't sell a movie.

Blade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #95
ANTOINE X
FLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
Superman,Batman,Hulk,and Spider-Man are well known characters and DO NOT need big name/well known actors to play them. The characters themselves, sell those movies. Lesser known characters like Daredevil,Blade, Iron Man,Ghost Rider,and Luke Cage need big name and/or well known actors to play them since those characters names alone can't sell a movie.
What you said is true but big actors is not a good guaranty that the movie will sell. Again better spend your money on publicity, good directors & producers than actors.

And I am a bit worried about the future of the comics book movie industry. Now it s cool to play in a super hero movie but very soon this trend will stop. I see that in JLA Bale wont be part of it. Is it really because he s too expensive or that Bale him self don't wont to be recognize as Batman? Big actors are also a big risk to consider.

Maybe Luke cage wont be big but if it s good movie that s what matter.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #96
gkokujin
Side-Kick

They are going to scrap this as a solo project and give him a white sidekick/counter part.

mark my words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #97
ANTOINE X
FLY

Quote:
Have you read the script? How do you know it's good? I'm not being confrontational, I'm genuinely curious to know if you have inside info.
Well I was referring to this part of your article

In the screenplay Ramsey stays faithful to the comic origins of Cage but contemporizes him for today's audiences. Luke Cage is a playa and he talks like one. I forgot to mention that there is also a lot of pimp and playa talk in this script. Enough to piss off little Spike Lee and turn him into the Incredible Hulk but I enjoyed the hell out of it. The story takes place in an around Harlem not Times Square. The main villain of the piece is WILLIS STRYKER who will become DIAMONDBACK. The structure is very solid for a comic book origin movie and is structured similar to Batman Begins. Carl Lucas (who will become Luke Cage) is a reformed street hustler who is framed for a murder he didn't commit. He's sent to Seagate prison and put on Death Row. With six days left before his execution and his chances for winning an appeal slim, his lawyer WARREN JOHNSON introduces Lucas to a biophysicist DR. NOAH BERNSTEIN with an opportunity to save Lucas's life. Bernstein is doing research in human cell regeneration and would like for Lucas to participate in an experiment that if successful, could counter the damages of any disease -- perhaps even aging. Of course, Lucas agrees. He gets injected with a cellular mutagen designed to accelerate cell growth. The experiment goes wrong and Lucas is back on Death Row. We are then treated to some back-story between Lucas, Striker, and Lucas's lady REVA. Stryker pimps hos and is trying to take over the New York Crime Scene a la Jack Nicholson in Batman. Page 26: Execution day. They try to deep fry Lucas like Kentucky Fried Chicken but instead LUCAS'S MUSCLES BEGIN TO SWELL, bursting at the sleeves. Buttons pop off of his shirt as his pecs swell. His convulsions are so strong that THE CHAIR STARTS TO TEAR FROM ITS FOUNDATION. Bolts pull out of the floor. Lucas, to the tune of Public Enemy's "Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos!" punches hole through the wall and escapes from Seagate. Act I ends on page 32 with Chuck D singing "Death Row? W-What a brotha know!"

In the beginning of Act II we meet CLAIR TEMPLE who argues with her kid sister HOPE. By Page 40 Lucas is back in his old stomping grounds of Harlem but it looked like the place has slipped downhill since he was last there. He goes over to Dixie's Bar And Grill, hooks up with his friend DIXIE who fills in Lucas on what has been happening since Lucas has been gone. She hooks him up with a room to stay in above the bar. Dixie tells Lucas that he got a second chance. Lucas can't hustle kitchenware anymore. The game has changed. He needs to get a life. On a stroll through the mean streets of Harlem, Lucas stops a stickup kid who just robbed these Jewish merchants ED and MINNIE. The stick up kid runs into Lucas, gives him some lip and Lucas chucks his ass through the windshield of a nearby car.

A Police car screeches to a halt and NEW YORK'S FINEST leap out, guns drawn on Lucas. Minnie intervenes and tell the cops that Lucas foiled the robbery. Now the really cool part. The cops ask Lucas for his name. Lucas stops himself. He looks across the street at and old movie theater playing a NICHOLAS CAGE MOVIE. A reverse homage! Lucas responds Cage! Luke Cage! That moment was hilarious. Page 49: Ed and Minnie want to show Lucas their gratitude since they got their six grand back. They pay Lucas some dough and AN IDEA IS BORN! The next thing you know Cage is at Kinko's getting business cards printed up:

Old 09-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #98
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Uh...suddenly, this movie is sort of sounding like MSJ's Ghost Rider.

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #99
tamron
Side-Kick

Ramsey writes action-comedies with an emphasis on comedy. The Big Hit. Love and a Bullet. The synopsis sounds right, but the tone doesn't.

Cage needs something along the lines of Blade. Serious with a sprinkling of dark humor.

Singleton claims the script has been tweaked snce that review, and I can only hope it's been taken in that direction.

Last edited by tamron; 09-05-2007 at 08:56 PM.
tamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #100
ANTOINE X
FLY

Quote:
Ramsey writes action-comedies with an emphasis on comedy. The Big Hit. Love and a Bullet. The synopsis sounds right, but the tone doesn't.

Cage needs something along the lines of Blade. Serious with a sprinkling of dark humor.

Singleton claims the script has been tweaked snce that review, and I can only hope it's been taken in that direction.
I m not saying that s the best script...Although I do like the homage to Nicolas cage