The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

View Poll Results: Whedon & X4: What do you want?
All for Whedon! Director and writer 51 57.30%
Only writer 8 8.99%
Only director 4 4.49%
None 26 29.21%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 AM   #51
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Default Re: Pure & simple: Do you want Whedon as X4 director?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpesh View Post
You're not reading me right.

I never said I want a fanboy made movie that is the comic on screen ala Sin City. I said he's enough of a fanboy... he isn't going to adapt it by ruining it.

It's not going to be the Wolverine show... Rogue isn't going to give up her powers... Jean Grey and Logan is not the true 'love story'.
But the problem is that Fanboys (Like Whedon) are going to want things to go their own personal way... with their own favorite characters. I mean, hell, Whedon insisted upon resurrecting Colossus after he'd been gone for ages... Just for the sake of dreding up the Peter/Kitty relationship... and now there're rumors he's going to kill Kitty! What's the point?

Eh, I'm just not thrilled with Whedon's take on Marvel. His work with Runaways has been trash.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:08 AM   #52
Angamb
Banned User

Josh Whedon would do a better job than Ratner, so just with that, I think he deserve an oportunity. I only want a better movie than X3. Don't mind at all the director. But if Whedon, who writes Astonishing, and is director too, can do it, why not?

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #53
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Josh Whedon would do a better job than Ratner, so just with that, I think he deserve an oportunity. I only want a better movie than X3. Don't mind at all the director. But if Whedon, who writes Astonishing, and is director too, can do it, why not?
Because writing a comic book and directing a movie are entirely different things.

I mean, I could stomach having Whedon HELP write the script, but I don't want him at the helm entirely.

He was basically given free reign in Astonishing, and he wouldn't have that luxury with X4... which would create badness.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #54
Gilpesh
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlegend View Post
Because writing a comic book and directing a movie are entirely different things.
How come everyone disregards that he made a good movie?

Serenity is proof he can write, direct and all that movie crap.

Just cause you don't want him making the movie... doesn't mean he can't make them.

Gilpesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #55
Angamb
Banned User

True.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #56
QWoods
Side-Kick

i DON'T KNOW

QWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #57
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
How come everyone disregards that he made a good movie?

Serenity is proof he can write, direct and all that movie crap.

Just cause you don't want him making the movie... doesn't mean he can't make them.
Maybe because that movie didn't go over that well when it came to box office performance.

Or maybe people just don't like his take on X-Men at all.

I mean, hell, technically I COULD direct an X4. Doesn't mean it would be good.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #58
Gilpesh
Banned User

Suddenly it is he can't make a movie because he is mainly television and comics... Now it is just cause he can make a movie doesn't mean he can make a good one.

Box office? That's what you rate a good movie on? Shame.

Thanks for proving your own point of you couldn't make a good X4.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #59
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
Suddenly it is he can't make a movie because he is mainly television and comics... Now it is just cause he can make a movie doesn't mean he can make a good one.

Box office? That's what you rate a good movie on? Shame.

Thanks for proving your own point of you couldn't make a good X4.
Though I hate to admit it, the box office is THE deciding factor on a movie's rate. Why? Because in the end it's the only way to decide on whether or not a film was able to capture the interest of general audiences. Serenity... really didn't.

But back on topic...

I don't want Whedon in there because, yes, I didn't feel that Serenity was all it could be. And yes, I don't like the idea of letting Whedon jump from the comics to the film.

And I don't want a fanboy to put his hands on the movie at all. Hell, I'd rather have someone with only meager knowledge to be given X4... Let a director take time out, evaluate the material, and adapt it well. Fanboys will bring biases.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #60
Gilpesh
Banned User

Well you just shown that you would love another X3 and another and another. We've already got the mediocre X-Men movies.

How about they try and make great ones? No? Alright....

Old 08-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #61
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
Well you just shown that you would love another X3 and another and another. We've already got the mediocre X-Men movies.

How about they try and make great ones? No? Alright....
Seriously, what are you expecting to get out of any X4? A suddenly fantastic franchise? I mean, even the apparently great an almighty Whedon would have to bow to what has been established in movie-canon. I think it'd be better to let Ratner or Singer continue what's already been established, rather than let some fanboy try to twist things his way and really muck **** up.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #62
Angamb
Banned User

X4 can be a great sequel in the hands of any director. And Whedon isn't any director, is someone who had one of the most recognized X-men comics, so he would be a better choice than many directors out there.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #63
Angelus7181
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think Whedon writing and directing would be great, X4 would seem like a new beginning anyway.. so his take on the X-men would kick a$$. As long as he sticks to what the other directors have established and add his own on what should continue after X3.. I assume nothing could go wrong. I'm sure we would get a better X-men movie then what we got from Singer and Ratner.

Angelus7181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #64
Angamb
Banned User

I'm not sure about Bryan films, but about X3 definetly.

And if we get Gambit, a longer running time and better action scenes in X4, the film easily can be the favourite of many fans.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #65
Angelus7181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I'm not sure about Bryan films, but about X3 definetly.

And if we get Gambit, a longer running time and better action scenes in X4, the film easily can be the favourite of many fans.
I heard some where the Gambit will appear in the spin-off Wolverine.. god I hope not! X4 or anything Xmen is better suited for him to show up and be introduced.

Angelus7181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #66
iron_spartan
Side-Kick

Whedon should write and director.

iron_spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #67
ToriL90

I say no to Whedon going solo in any role. Maybe he can help write, but nothing more. I don't think anybody THAT closely related to the comics should be involved to that extent, or else the movie will likely turn out too comical.

I had a thought a couple days ago that I wanted to run by you guys. I haven't seen a whole lot of James Cameron films, but I've loved what I've seen and he has one advantage over Bryan Singer that was glaringly obvious to me when I was watching X2 a couple days ago: he knows how to use music in movies. As much as I loved X2, I thought there were parts where the music was very poorly done, usually overly done, and actually took away from certain scenes. Cameron knows how to use music, what music fits the tone of the scene, and when it's best to use NO music. I think there were times in X2 when music was out of place - most obvious, to me, being when Bobby was staring up at his family as though he was saying a final goodbye. I thought silence would've been much better there, or at least something softer than they did. That's what made me think of Cameron in the first place: his use of silence to enhance a scene.

Obviously, music isn't the most important part of directing, and I haven't seen any of his action movies, so that's why I thought I'd put the idea out for you guys to either support or shoot down.

ToriL90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:31 PM   #68
Gilpesh
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriL90 View Post
I say no to Whedon going solo in any role. Maybe he can help write, but nothing more. I don't think anybody THAT closely related to the comics should be involved to that extent, or else the movie will likely turn out too comical.

I had a thought a couple days ago that I wanted to run by you guys. I haven't seen a whole lot of James Cameron films, but I've loved what I've seen and he has one advantage over Bryan Singer that was glaringly obvious to me when I was watching X2 a couple days ago: he knows how to use music in movies. As much as I loved X2, I thought there were parts where the music was very poorly done, usually overly done, and actually took away from certain scenes. Cameron knows how to use music, what music fits the tone of the scene, and when it's best to use NO music. I think there were times in X2 when music was out of place - most obvious, to me, being when Bobby was staring up at his family as though he was saying a final goodbye. I thought silence would've been much better there, or at least something softer than they did. That's what made me think of Cameron in the first place: his use of silence to enhance a scene.

Obviously, music isn't the most important part of directing, and I haven't seen any of his action movies, so that's why I thought I'd put the idea out for you guys to either support or shoot down.
After X3. No hope for Cameron at all.

Plus I think that we do need someone a little bit closer to the comics than Singer and the Studio Stooge Ratner.

At least he can write for the characters so that hints that whatever mess he has to write his way out of, at least now the characters are going to be the actual X-Men from the comic book and not throw together hit lists of other characters to fill a rol they weren't supposed to.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #69
ToriL90

Quote:
After X3. No hope for Cameron at all.
Why do you say that? Is there a little history I don't know?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:27 PM   #70
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't believe there's any history between Cameron and X-Men. He once wrote a treatment for Spider-Man though... but what I think Gilpesh is implying is that after The Last Stand, Cameron wouldn't want to be the follow-up to someone else's franchise. He would probably want to do his own thing rather than be forced to follow what has already been established.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:59 PM   #71
Gilpesh
Banned User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
I don't believe there's any history between Cameron and X-Men. He once wrote a treatment for Spider-Man though... but what I think Gilpesh is implying is that after The Last Stand, Cameron wouldn't want to be the follow-up to someone else's franchise. He would probably want to do his own thing rather than be forced to follow what has already been established.
What I am talking about is not that Cameron would be walking into the franchise. He did makes Aliens after Ridley Scott did Alien.

What I am saying is that Cameron must see the horrible quality of the Last Stand and know that he doesn't want to stick his neck out after that turd.

Oh and Fox might not bump the budget enough to give us Cameron's X-Men.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 AM   #72
BMM
Side-Kick

Oh. Haha. My mistake.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #73
ToriL90

Good points. But don't worry, I never expect my ideal choices for anything to do with X-Men to actually happen. These are just ideals for me.

So, theoretically, would it be a good thing if James Cameron directed X4?

Old 08-30-2007, 11:39 PM   #74
Angamb
Banned User

I don't know him at all, really. But I think I wouldn't mind.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #75
Mother_Askani
Side-Kick

Quote:
So, theoretically, would it be a good thing if James Cameron directed X4?
For fans, the director (and writer) should be fiercely loyal to the source material.

James Cameron and other high profile, big name directors are likely to have their own take and their own agenda. And you end up with something like the Transformers movie, which barely resembles the source material.

What the X-Men film franchise needs is their own Peter Jackson, someone who's devoted to see the X-books in all their glory on the big screen. That could be Whedon, since he is a devoted X-fan.

Mother_Askani is offline   Reply With Quote