The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Cybertron

Old 10-16-2007, 05:42 AM   #26
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

Default Re: Transformers comics

When I return later, I will post some reviews on a few TF comics.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #27
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

Syn's Matrix

Hey there, Transformers. It's Syn here, givin you the low down on Beast Wars Acending #1. As you know, I am an avid Transformer Fan, and have been collecting these Transformers Comics for a few years. Ever since the show and the toys back in the 90's, I have been a Transformerfanatic. I can't get enough. I find it my duty to spread the good word of these comics, so others can get in on the fun as I have. Thats why I have started, "Syn's Matrix" ,where I will give my reviews on various Transformers comics. I hope you enjoy it, and find my reviews helpful.

Ok, onto Beast Wars Acending #1

Great Art is what I have to say to start. I really can't imagine a better artist for Transformers then Don Figueroa. He draws in a way that combines the old Beast Wars TV show, and that of the Japenese Beast Wars II and Neo in such a way that at times, you feel like you are watching an actual episode.

Ok, I will start by saying I have noticed that a lot of the IDW Transformers books tend to be difficult to follow because of how much information they cram into one issue. I take it at face value. It is understandable and the story still flows beautifully. Its just at times, I feel I must flip back and forth between pages to make sure I understood what happened.

Spoilers Ahead!!!

On to the plot. Beast Wars Acending opens with a Civil War of Maximals versus Predacons on Cybertron. The almighty former Predacon General Magmatron watches from a limbo as the planet of Cybertron explodes into nothingness. As he watches Cybertron's doom in the present, he realizes that he must do something to stop the doom of his homeworld. He conjures a plan to go into the past, and find an old foe in hopes of teaming up with him to save Cybertron. As he leaves, we are shown the shadowy figure of a deadly foe. One that most TF fans don't know. He has been called the most powerful of Cybertron, and his body contains some of the entity that is Unicron. I won't say anymore.

On Earth, in the year 70,000 BC, the Maximals have been rebuilding and waiting for rescue. There has been no reply from the stress beacon they sent out in Gathering, and they are all growing weary. As Grimlock roams the jungle, he stumbles upon a Decepticon infiltration party. As he engages them, they activate previously planted mines inside the Maximal base, and a new battle begins. as the Decepticons begin their war with the weary Maximals, it is revealed that field commander Ravage has taken up the position of Leader amongst the Decepticons. He infiltrates the base, and comes across Razorbeast. Meer seconds before slicing Razorbeast's head in two, Snarl saves Razorbeast, allowing him to imobilize Ravage.

In the past only a few by years from the past Earth (I know, confusing ain't it?) Magmatron changes history, and allows the Maximal distress beacon to reach Cybertron. The call is received by none nther than Razorbeast's old friend and leader, Lio Convoy. Lio gets his team ready, and takes "The Pack" on a journey to the Past.

Meanwhile, the heralds of a god on Cybertron gather, as their master reawakens. He rises from his slumber. his power eminating from his body in huge beams of energy. His name is Shokaract, and as he rises, his heralds fall down, and bow to their, "god."

Simon Furman is an amazing writer, and really brings depth to these characters, which it difficult to do given the number of the transformers used in this comic.

Overall, I give the issue 8.5 out of 10.

Spoiler's End!!!

So thats the issue. Look here for more, "Syn's Matrix" soon for an overview of the entire series of Megatron Origins and Beast Wars the Gathering. Also, be here for my reviews for the Marvel Transformers Series, Transformers Movie Prequel and Movie Adaptation, and any other Transformers Comics soon to come. As always, this is for the fans, so if you have any feedback, ideas, or anything, give me a pm, or just say it here.

---Syn Out---

Last edited by Saved; 10-17-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Saved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #28
spidergrant
Side-Kick

can you review beast wars the gathering because i got this book that says beast wars the gathering on the front and on the side its says manga. the book is kind of smal like maybe a little smaller than a dvd case. so can someone tell me what happens in beast wars the gathering so il know i have the right book. and whats with beast wars ascending. are there 2 issues out cause i went to a comic book store and bought two comics. one had the maximals on it and said issue A and the other had the predacons and said issue B

spidergrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #29
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergrant View Post
can you review beast wars the gathering because i got this book that says beast wars the gathering on the front and on the side its says manga. the book is kind of smal like maybe a little smaller than a dvd case. so can someone tell me what happens in beast wars the gathering so il know i have the right book. and whats with beast wars ascending. are there 2 issues out cause i went to a comic book store and bought two comics. one had the maximals on it and said issue A and the other had the predacons and said issue B
Ah, my faithful TF comic lover. The answer is simple.

With every Transformer comic, many covers are made. These covers are labeled A-D. The issue numbers are labeled above it under IDW's logo. The Predacon and Maximal cover are both Issue 1, just with different covers.

Beast Wars Acending 2 has Lio Convoy and "The Pack" decending from the sky.

I will review Beast Wars Gathering soon. As far as I know, Beast Wars Gathering and Beast Wars Gathering Manga are the same. One is just smaller.

Edit:
Here's a picture for reference.

Last edited by Saved; 10-17-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Saved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #30
sto_vo_kor_2000
Side-Kick

Quote:
What it sounds like you got is a paperback re-printing done in the Japanese style of books.The newer comics have been reprinted for the Japanese market and are being done in both English and Japanese.Some stores like Target have been carring these latly.Sometimes they have 2 issues reprinted into one manga.Sometimes they are also Black and White.The stories are the same.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #31
spidergrant
Side-Kick

jeeze im am mad now that i bought 2 of the same comics. i think the front page of it was different. but that is stupid that is just stupid of them to do cause theyll know alout of people will buy the more than 1 one of the same comic thinking there different

Old 10-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #32
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

Quote:
jeeze im am mad now that i bought 2 of the same comics. i think the front page of it was different. but that is stupid that is just stupid of them to do cause theyll know alout of people will buy the more than 1 one of the same comic thinking there different
Not if you look, dude. I did the same thing for BW Gathering. All the issues I got doubles or triples. I love the different covers. They allow you a chance to get the cover you like best. You just gotta look and not grab it hastily. No offense to you.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #33
spidergrant
Side-Kick

well i could swear the first page was different and that why i got both. but can you review beat wars the gatheriing. even though i read it id like to read your review

Old 10-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #34
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

Quote:
well i could swear the first page was different and that why i got both. but can you review beat wars the gatheriing. even though i read it id like to read your review
Wow, first fan perhaps? I'll get right on it.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:19 PM   #35
spidergrant
Side-Kick

the only things i have bad ro say is. well its not its fault really. but the cover i have of the manga book shows the season 1 beast wars but it wasnt but i cant blame it for what its not. the only other bad thing was there were a ton of transformers you see and you dont get to find out there or anything. but i guess they were just supposed to be armies so they dont have to identify every soldier

Old 10-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #36
sto_vo_kor_2000
Side-Kick

Quote:
the only things i have bad ro say is. well its not its fault really. but the cover i have of the manga book shows the season 1 beast wars but it wasnt but i cant blame it for what its not. the only other bad thing was there were a ton of transformers you see and you dont get to find out there or anything. but i guess they were just supposed to be armies so they dont have to identify every soldier
These books are incorparating characters from both Japanese Beast Wars show's.There will be many characters you've never seen but with simular designs to those that you have.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #37
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

Alright, review goin up as soon as I return.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #38
spidergrant
Side-Kick

and did ramulous die. after he falls from the cliff you see him laying next to a fire and he looks like hes alive i guess. but you never see him after that

Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #39
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

Quote:
and did ramulous die. after he falls from the cliff you see him laying next to a fire and he looks like hes alive i guess. but you never see him after that
Ok, review goin up within the hour. (I hope) But as for that, he is in Acending 1, so no he doesn't die.

Still want the review, yes?

Old 10-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #40
sto_vo_kor_2000
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn (Mercenary) View Post
Ok, review goin up within the hour. (I hope) But as for that, he is in Acending 1, so no he doesn't die.

Still want the review, yes?
I wouldnt mind seeing it so post it.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #41
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

Does anyone like the concept of me posting TF reviews?

Old 10-20-2007, 11:17 PM   #42
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

Syn's Matrix

Hey all. Welcome back to Synís Matrix. This time, Iíll be reviewing the Beast Wars The Gathering issues. Because this is not the graphic novel, Iíll be breaking this up into a four-issue deal. This may seem extreme, but I do it for the consumer. I have the individual issues, so Iíll review them individually. The graphic novel and trades may have a different deal, and I donít want to falsely promote anything.

Beast Wars: The Gathering, Issue 1.

Beast Wars The Gathering #1 is another great story written by Simon Furman. He shows us that bringing together close to a hundred different Beast Wars Transformers, be it Transmetal, Transmetal 2, or mutant, can be done. The amazing thing about these issues is that almost none of the characters in this comic are from the show. This is certainly a feat, being that most people know nothing about the personalities or temperaments of anyone other than the TV show characters. I have to give him a tip of the hat to that.

Just as Simon shows us his competency as a writer, Don Figuroa shows us his talent at amazing art. There were four other covers for issue 1. Cover A with Magmatron in his Cybertron form (non beast like, no animals), Cover B with all three forms of Megatron from the TV show, Cover C with all three forms of Optimus Primal from the TV show, and my favorite, Cover D which is a front back cover of a depiction of a large battle between Magmatron and his Predacons versus Razorbeast and his Maximals. His portrayal of the characters in both robot and beast mode feels so real. I would never have another artist besides him.

(!!!Spoilers Ahead!!!!)

Issue one opens with an intro to Beast Wars. It does a quick recap of what weíve learned from the show, to about somewhere in Season II or III. Then, we are introduced to Magmatron and his fleet of Decepticons. They are joined by Razorbeast, Magmatronís trusted warrior. Magmatron explains he has been sent to earth to find the rogue Predacon, Megatron, and bring him back to Cybertron. This was a feat that the first Predacon agent, Ravage, failed to do. As the team starts to branch out to find a suitable location to plant a transwarp tower, they come across Depth Charge. Magmatron explains to his soldiers that there is nothing to fear from this Maximal. They have off set the space time continuum, and are off by mere milliseconds. Thus, allowing no one in the actual present to see them.

One of the things I love about this issue, is the flash backs to Cybertron. I love seeing all of these Beast Wars with vehicle modes instead of animal forms. The flash back reveals Razorbeast is actually a spy, sent with Magmatron to watch him. The Maximals fear he is recruiting soldiers, and they want to make sure he doesnít get the chance to strike.

The Predacons get the transwarp broadcast tower set, and activate it. The purpose of this, is to turn all stasis pods of the Maximals into Predacons. It appears to work, as the stasis pods open, and Predacons emerge. But suddenly, a Predacon soldier in the artic finds that something is wrong, and comes face to face with a powerful Maximal. Magmatron realizes something is up, and at that moment, Razorbeast runs.

A safe distance away from Magmatron and his Predacons, Razorbeast sends a distress call to the emerging Maximals. The other Predacon scouts in the air report to Magmatron that the new Cybertronians are all Maximal, and seem to be in great numbers. Magmatron replies with a grin, and tells his units, ďUnleash the Beast Wars.Ē

Overall, the issue was good. A little fast paced, but thereís a lot to cover. I enjoyed the issue, and thought it was a good intro to the new comic concept. Overall, I give this issue a 7.8 out of 10.

(!!!Spoilers End!!!)

Well, hope you all enjoyed another part in the new review series of, Synís Matrix. Be back here soon for the continuation of my review for Beast Wars: The Gathering.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #43
spidergrant
Side-Kick

cool. i thought it was kind of hard to understand what was going on in the first issue but i figured it out once i read the next issue

Old 12-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #44
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Can anyone recommend and TF comic books with the G1 characters, prefferably graphic novels.

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #45
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

I can only reccomend one Graphic Novel (seeing as I've read it) with just G1 guys. Thats The Greatest Battles of Optimus Prime and Megatron. It collects certain issues from every TF comic from the 80s to now.

As for issues, for sure, by the old Marvel Series from the 80s. Its got up to 80 issues, and if you go to comic shops or shows, they are bound to have them.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #46
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Excellent, thanks i have to have a look at my local store soon.

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
Old 12-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #47
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

No problem. Think of me as the TF Comic guru.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:23 AM   #48
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Ha ha, okay, i plan to get some this week. I was looking at the very first G1 comic last week, but didnt have the money to buy it at the time, hope its still there because sometimes they go pretty quickly.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #49
Shinobi Rendar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Can anyone recommend and TF comic books with the G1 characters, prefferably graphic novels.
I also recommend IDW Trade Paperbacks on the ongoing G1verse.

1 volume- Infiltration
2 volume- Stormbringer
3 volume- Escalation
Devastation- still being released in single issues

Also recommend the spotlight issues on individual character.

I recently started collecting these tpb and i'm hooked. Highly recommended.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #50
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi Rendar View Post
I also recommend IDW Trade Paperbacks on the ongoing G1verse.

1 volume- Infiltration
2 volume- Stormbringer
3 volume- Escalation
Devastation- still being released in single issues

Also recommend the spotlight issues on individual character.

I recently started collecting these tpb and i'm hooked. Highly recommended.

Excellent, thanks for the info, i have just finished reading TF: Generations Vol. 1, which, while a little dated, was thoroughly enjoyable, i just wish all of the stories would have been related rather than seperate one's from different issues. But i plan to get more soon so this helps a lot!