The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 03-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #51
jmc247
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Polaris Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Alternate universes are okay I guess but they dont compare to the real thing. Ive been pissed that Marvel killed off Jean and want her back in 616. She's in Ultimate and First Class (which I dont read) so I guess its their way of throwing crumbs at her fans. I really wish that Lorna wasnt in space bc that effectivaly killed the possiblity of any other writer picking her up for a guest appearance here and there.
I agree with you. Space limbo is the worst, because it means she can't just show up like Pietro can for his own mini or show up on X-Men Legacy and have her backstory gets dealt with for a few issues. Space limbo really leaves me with almost no hope as a Polaris fan for the next couple years.

She can't be picked up by any writer that wants her until TPTB bring her back to Earth from space. Also, I have some interesting info I know that I just PMed you.

Also, have you ever noticed that Lorna is shown to always need a man in her life to give her purpose. She broke down mentally and emotionally after she thought Havok died and lived in a room with some of Havok's clothes and would talk to his clothes, hug them, and sleep with them. Magneto had to bring her to Genosha to break her out of it and give her life purpose again.

Last edited by jmc247; 03-17-2008 at 09:26 PM.
jmc247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #52
Valechan
Banned User

Lorna is going to appear in Divided we Stand... and I heard something about Guardians of the Galaxy... how long can the Shi'ar space remain blissfully separated from the Annihilation downfall??? I have I have faith we'll see more of the Starjammers soon

Valechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #53
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valechan View Post
Lorna is going to appear in Divided we Stand... and I heard something about Guardians of the Galaxy... how long can the Shi'ar space remain blissfully separated from the Annihilation downfall??? I have I have faith we'll see more of the Starjammers soon
Havok will be in Divided We Stand and he is amoung the dozen people listed as guest characters, but Lorna is not listed as part of the guest cast so I doubt there will be anything for her there, except perhaps seeing her in the background. Also, Rachel and the Starjammers will not be a part of Annihilation or Guardians of the Galaxy.

Quote:
A Havok fan asked the panel a question about what was next for the Starjammers, and the way Jim McCann (Marvel's marketing director) answered the question made it seem like Havok may appear in both issues of Divided We Stand.

- Rachel & the Starjammers' story will likely continue in Uncanny X-Men.

- No Annihilation or Guardians of the Galaxy tie-in with the Starjammers are planned.

http://www.rachel-summers.com/2008/0...es-report.html

Old 03-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #54
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
IAlso, have you ever noticed that Lorna is shown to always need a man in her life to give her purpose. She broke down mentally and emotionally after she thought Havok died and lived in a room with some of Havok's clothes and would talk to his clothes, hug them, and sleep with them. Magneto had to bring her to Genosha to break her out of it and give her life purpose again.
Yes and it makes me sick. Ever since she was created they have ALWAYS had her lean on a man. Whether its Bobby, Alex or Magneto, she cant stand on her own two feet without falling apart without a man by her side. Late X-factor seemed to be one of the few times she was single and actually doing well for herself. I really wish they wouldnt write her so weak. She's arguably one of the strongest mutants out there and its ironic how weak her character is in spite of that

I guess overall one thing Ive disliked about the way Lorna has been handled over the years is how inconsistent she's been. Its hard to get a feel for her and her character when they are always changing her up. For the most part, you know who Storm, Rogue, Emma, Jean, etc... are bc their personalities tend to stay consistent based on different writing but not Lorna as she's all over the place. Since returning she's been written by Morrison, Austen, Milligan, Brubaker and Yost. Each of their versions of Lorna was different. Milligan and Brubakers probably being the most similiar but then again they wrote her so generic that the character they called Lorna could have been anyone. I wish someone would see something in her and really take an interest in her and write the definitive version of Lorna.

Last edited by Havok83; 03-17-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #55
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes and it makes me sick. Ever since she was created they have ALWAYS had her lean on a man. Whether its Bobby, Alex or Magneto, she cant stand on her own two feet without falling apart without a man by her side. Late X-factor seemed to be one of the few times she was single and actually doing well for herself. I really wish they wouldnt write her so weak. She's arguably one of the strongest mutants out there and its ironic how weak her character is in spite of that
I certainly agree with you, but Marvel likes to have incredible powerful characters, especially their female characters have some sort of deep flaw, usually mentally or emotionally. Just look at Wanda, she is one of the most powerful if not the most powerful mutant of all time and yet she also has deep mental and emotional problems.

Quote:
I guess overall one thing Ive disliked about the way Lorna has been handled over the years is how inconsistent she's been. Its hard to get a feel for her and her character when they are always changing her up. For the most part, you know who Storm, Rogue, Emma, Jean, etc... are bc their personalities tend to stay consistent based on different writing but not Lorna as she's all over the place. Since returning she's been written by Morrison, Austen, Milligan, Brubaker and Yost. Each of their versions of Lorna was different. Milligan and Brubakers probably being the most similiar but then again they wrote her so generic that the character they called Lorna could have been anyone. I wish someone would see something in her and really take an interest in her and write the definitive version of Lorna.
You just hit on the head regarding the biggest single problem with Lorna over the years. No writer has either had the time or been willing to spend the the time with the character to solidify who Lorna is as a character. So what ends up happening is new writers pick and chose from certain eras in Lorna's time in the comics and write the character based on the version of Lorna they like.

Morrison and Austen clearly liked the 60s M2 version of Lorna and wrote the character as a modern derivation of that. Milligan and Bru in particular liked 70s Lorna who you correctly pointed out was a very generic character and there was nothing in either Bru or Milligan's runs that let Lorna stand out as a character. Yost seemed to like a toned down version of Austen's 2004 Lorna.

Until a writer does for Lorna what Claremont did for Magneto, meaning he or she is allowed several years to create an interesting persona for Lorna as well as an interesting backstory for the character, she will continue to simply be seen by Marvel as in the words of some fans yesterday on Newsarama a 'filler character'. And, she will swing from persona to persona depending on the writer.

Last edited by jmc247; 03-18-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #56
Valechan
Banned User

I loved the no-wedding issue, Crazy Magneto-Lorna was terrific

Valechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #57
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valechan View Post
I loved the no-wedding issue, Crazy Magneto-Lorna was terrific
It was certainly some of the best artistic renderings of Lorna ever and it certainly made the character stand out. To this day casual fans seem from what I have seen to love her wedding issue. Long term fans are a bit of a different story. Austen toned down Lorna in 2004 to what I feel was an acceptable level, keeping an edge to the character, but not making her insane. But, Milligan and later Bru when way too far and took away all the characters edge and thus most of the interest in the character.

Last edited by jmc247; 03-18-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #58
Havok83
Side-Kick

I hated what was done at the wedding. It was obvious they were destroying her by making her the jealous "villain" in order to prop up Annie and her romance with Alex as a viable couple. Sucked that it had to happen at Lorna's expense bc Annie sucked

Quote:
You just hit on the head regarding the biggest single problem with Lorna over the years. No writer has either had the time or been willing to spend the the time with the character to solidify who Lorna is as a character. So what ends up happening is new writers pick and chose from certain eras in Lorna's time in the comics and write the character based on the version of Lorna they like.

Morrison and Austen clearly liked the 60s M2 version of Lorna and wrote the character as a modern derivation of that. Milligan and Bru in particular liked 70s Lorna who you correctly pointed out was a very generic character and there was nothing in either Bru or Milligan's runs that let Lorna stand out as a character. Yost seemed to like a toned down version of Austen's 2004 Lorna.

Until a writer does for Lorna what Claremont did for Magneto, meaning he or she is allowed several years to create an interesting persona for Lorna as well as an interesting backstory for the character, she will continue to simply be seen by Marvel as in the words of some fans yesterday on Newsarama a 'filler character'. And, she will swing from persona to persona depending on the writer.
We definetly agree on that. I was hoping that would be Brubaker but that wasnt the case.Lorna has so much potential and as the 2nd X-woman ever it boggles my mind what little has been done with her. She deserves to be up there with the likes of Jean, Storm and Rogue. She needs a good writer to make her stand out. Look what wonders Morrison did with Emma, a C/B lister who wasnt on the radar of X-men or Marvel fans but now she's A list and the top female next to Storm adn that only took like 3-4 years worth of writing. Lorna needs her own Morrison to boost her up

Last edited by Havok83; 03-19-2008 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 PM   #59
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
I hated what was done at the warning. It was obvious they were destroying her by making her the jealous "villain" in order to prop up Annie and her romance with Alex as a viable couple. Sucked that it had to happen at Lorna's expense bc Annie sucked
Austen was using Lorna, Havok, and Nurse Annie to rehash his relationship issues over the years and it is almost always a mistake when a writer does that. I can certainly understand why many long term fans hated it, because they are invested in the character and don't want to see the character become murderous in front of most of X-Men and Avengers. But, I also see why so many casual fans loved Lorna's wedding, because she did what every woman who ever has been dumped in a bad way by their boyfriend or left at the alter wished they could do... go Bridezilla on his ass.

Quote:
We definetly agree on that. I was hoping that would be Brubaker but that wasnt the case.Lorna has so much potential and as the 2nd X-woman ever it boggles my mind what little has been done with her. She deserves to be up there with the likes of Jean, Storm and Rogue. She needs a good writer to make her stand out. Look what wonders Morrison did with Emma, a C/B lister who wasnt on the radar of X-men or Marvel fans but now she's A list and the top female next to Storm adn that only took like 3-4 years worth of writing. Lorna needs her own Morrison to boost her up
The problem with Brubaker was that he had preconceived notions about what Lorna should be from his time reading the character when he was big into the X-Men in the 70s. He has even said as much in an interview. And, back then she was a shy girl with very little personality that existed simply as Havok's girlfriend. The problem was of course there was nothing that made the character stand out or even be all that interesting to fans. But, that was how Bru saw her and that was how he wrote her. Austen and Morrison in contrasted like 1960s M2 Lorna better and that was what they wrote or at least a modern version of it.

I think Yost would do a great job with Lorna and she would fit in quite well with an X-Force type team if the editors let him do his magic with her. I also expect Xavier and Magneto might form a team to defend mutants when he finally comes out of his coma. It is hard for me to put my finger on Yost's personality for Lorna. It seems somewhat like a cross between Austen's 2004 Lorna and Claremont's version of the character he wrote on Black Sun.

Last edited by jmc247; 03-18-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #60
insane polaris
Side-Kick

i never really take much notice on how a character is written. i more focus on how the character is drawn and this is what makes me like them or not.
and i loved Billy Tan's and lorroca's Polaris. even though they are different to eachother.

insane polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #61
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane polaris View Post
i never really take much notice on how a character is written. i more focus on how the character is drawn and this is what makes me like them or not.
and i loved Billy Tan's and lorroca's Polaris. even though they are different to eachother.
You focus on how characters are drawn, not how they are written?

I guess you must have loved Oliver Coipel's Lorna.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #62
OutcryX
Side-Kick

thats quite a family photo...

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #63
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcryX View Post
thats quite a family photo...
It was good enough so that other major comic artists have done their own versions of it trying to replicate it.

None to date have been good as Oliver Coipel's origional picture. Here is a HoM Silver Age HoM portrait below.

Last edited by jmc247; 03-24-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #64
OutcryX
Side-Kick

you're right. the first was stunning. who was polaris's mother? we know the history of the witch and crazy boy's mom

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #65
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
you're right. the first was stunning. who was polaris's mother? we know the history of the witch and crazy boy's mom
From X-Men editor Mike Marts.

Quote:
SimMasterBleh -- Will we get to find out who Polaris's mother is and how she got involved with Magneto?

Mike Marts -- Eventually, yes.

http://projectpolaris.yuku.com/topic...al-mother.html

Old 03-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #66
insane polaris
Side-Kick

Quote:
You focus on how characters are drawn, not how they are written?
Yes!

I never read HoM... i should have but i was new to american x-men comics

i used to collect the british essential x-men reprints, which were like 20 issues behind.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #67
HandOfFate
Side-Kick

Quote:
I always thought that Polaris was Anya, Magneto's first daughter.

I can actually see somebody like Mister Sinister, Astra or even the High Evolutionary (which could explain her connection to Zaladane) taking or rescuing Anya/Lorna from the fire.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #68
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOfFate View Post
I can actually see somebody like Mister Sinister, Astra or even the High Evolutionary (which could explain her connection to Zaladane) taking or rescuing Anya/Lorna from the fire.
That would time wise require her to be put in stasis for several decades. In fact it is now canon to explain how Wanda and Pietro were born in the later 40/early 50s and not looking in their 50s that the High Evolutionary put them into stasis for several decades.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:09 AM   #69
Varient
Guru for Geeks

Not a favorite.

But I feel they could give her a better showing.

She's Magneto w/o the Death Camps and Anti-human Bent.

It's Sad when M is written better, And Banshee's daughter comes off better.

V.

Varient is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:56 AM   #70
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
That would time wise require her to be put in stasis for several decades. In fact it is now canon to explain how Wanda and Pietro were born in the later 40/early 50s and not looking in their 50s that the High Evolutionary put them into stasis for several decades.
They dont look like they are in their 50s bc they arent. They are in their early to mid 30s just like the original X-men. They were originally born in the 40s thus making around 20ish by the time X-men debuted. Their birthdate, like most things in hte MU has been bumped up with time since characters dont age the same as real time. Id put their birthdate at sometime in the 60s/70s now

Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #71
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
They dont look like they are in their 50s bc they arent. They are in their early to mid 30s just like the original X-men. They were originally born in the 40s thus making around 20ish by the time X-men debuted. Their birthdate, like most things in hte MU has been bumped up with time since characters dont age the same as real time. Id put their birthdate at sometime in the 60s/70s now
They can't bump up their birth date, because it was clearly written that they had a child right after WW2 and that child died while only a young child and Magda was already pregent when she ran away from him after he destoryed the Russian city after Anya died. Thus, putting the event of Wanda and Pietro's birth into the early 50s. Magneto's past can't be bumped up the way other characters can because like Captain America's past Magneto's is stuck to a fixed event WW2 and its immediate aftermath.

The reason one can't bump up the date of Wanda and Pietro's birth is it is connected to Anya's death which was only a few years after WW2. With Lorna they can certainly bump up her birthdate unless they want her to be Anya in which case they would also need a temp stasis excuse for why she isn't in her late 50s/early 60s.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #72
HandOfFate
Side-Kick

Unlike Fans, Marvel doesn't really pay that much attention to their own timeline.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #73
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
They can't bump up their birth date, because it was clearly written that they had a child right after WW2 and that child died while only a young child and Magda was already pregent when she ran away from him after he destoryed the Russian city after Anya died. Thus, putting the event of Wanda and Pietro's birth into the early 50s. Magneto's past can't be bumped up the way other characters can because like Captain America's past Magneto's is stuck to a fixed event WW2 and its immediate aftermath.

The reason one can't bump up the date of Wanda and Pietro's birth is it is connected to Anya's death which was only a few years after WW2. With Lorna they can certainly bump up her birthdate unless they want her to be Anya in which case they would also need a temp stasis excuse for why she isn't in her late 50s/early 60s.
and Xavier fought in the Korean War and that was bumped up to the Vietnam War. This is jsut one of those things you have to ignore. The twins can not age in real time while everyone else ages at a much slower rate. Wanda isnt drawn as an older woman pushing 60, bc she isnt. Marvel portrays her as someone in her early 30s bc thats what she is to them in the MU

Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #74
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
and Xavier fought in the Korean War and that was bumped up to the Vietnam War. This is jsut one of those things you have to ignore. The twins can not age in real time while everyone else ages at a much slower rate. Wanda isnt drawn as an older woman pushing 60, bc she isnt. Marvel portrays her as someone in her early 30s bc thats what she is to them in the MU
Actually the war he fought in was re-retconned back to Korea in X-Men Legacy 208. But, it works because Xavier's body was cloned and his mind transfered into it. So, he biologically could be years younger then his actual age like Magneto is.

As for Wanda and Pietro.

Quote:
As confirmed in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Avengers 2004, Wanda and Pietro were kept in stasis for decades before being given to Django and Marya Maximoff, explaining why Wanda and Pietro are not closing in on their fifties in 2004, despite being born in 1958 (see below).

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/maximoffdjango.htm
They were put in stasis for several decades which explains their age.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:24 PM   #75
insane polaris
Side-Kick

MU time is slower than our time.
and in one of the other threads theyve worked out that its only been about 13 years (in MU time) that Xavier formed the X-men.

so if Wanda and Pietro were only about 20 when they first appeared, they would only be 33 now.