The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 03-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #76
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Mr. Vigilante-10 Years

Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Looks like some Burton bashing is going on!

- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #77
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
What would the Batman boards be without that

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Superman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Batman & ____, Batman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Worlds' Finest, Superman/Wonder Woman, Daredevil, Superior Spider-Man, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #78
David Rice
Banned User

Default Re: Tim Burton Helped Ruin Batman Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC1982 View Post
I think it's really unfair to gang up on Joel Schumacher when Tim Burton didn't do the Caped Crusader any favors himself. I actually think that "Batman Forever" was an improvement over "Batman Returns" in part because it tried to distance itself from the twisted, overstuffed, and sinister aspect of Burton's mindset.

Lets see what Tim Burton brought to the table when it came to Batman:
*Batman is a supporting character in his own movies (this is especially the case in "Batman Returns", where he's overshadowed by Penguin, Catwoman and Christopher Walken)

*Batman brutally and intentionally kills his enemies with zero remorse. Tim Burton seemed to think that Batman should be some quirky, neurotic psycho with a death wish, not a heroic adventure, who is more altruistic in his goals.

*Making the Joker the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents instead of Joe Chill.

*Lando Calrissian as Two-Face. Since when was Harvey Dent ever a black man? Burton also envisioned Marlon Wayans as Robin.

*The Penguin as a bile spitting, mutant/sewer rat instead of the level headed, gentleman criminal as he was originally intended to be.

*Catwoman as a bipolar, ex-secretary, who mystically (and magically gains martial arts and gymnastic skills in the process) gets revived by alley cats after her boss pushes her out of the window.

*Batman being made to look like a complete doofus and tool in "Batman Returns" (especially by Catwoman).

*Not showing enough of what inspired Bruce Wayne to become Batman in the first place. All that we know is that his parents got killed in front of him, and now his a reclusive nerd, who wants revenge (he uses his guise as an outlet to beat people who look at him funny up) against the world.
How can you even like Batman Forever? With all those colors it's not even the right atmosphere for a Batman film.

Burton didn't make the Joker the killer, the writers did. He also did a hell of a lot better job then Joel could have ever done. His films were directed toward adult fans of Batman and not the kiddies.

David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #79
TMC1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rice View Post
How can you even like Batman Forever? With all those colors it's not even the right atmosphere for a Batman film.

Burton didn't make the Joker the killer, the writers did. He also did a hell of a lot better job then Joel could have ever done. His films were directed toward adult fans of Batman and not the kiddies.
Tim Burton supported the idea of the Joker being the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents from the very jump. Sam Hamm was reluctant to the plan, since it wasn't true to the source material. However, the film was in production during a writers strike, for which Hamm had to participate in. During this down period, Burton was able to alter the script to his liking. Also, blockbusters like Batman films should be directed towards a general audience. The reasons why "Batman Returns" and "Batman & Robin" didn't fare as well as the other two films because one pandered too much to adults and the other pandered too much towards kids (there was no balance).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_...%29#Production

TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:17 AM   #80
Finlandman
Side-Kick

Only fault in this movie is IMHO that Batman started killing. When Batman crossed the line, he become one of the baddies in my eys. But still, this movie is five-stars film and a classic.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #81
Gotham22
Side-Kick

Right
Batman - Dark and broody
Catwoman - Sexy and the style was great
Bruce Wayne/Bataman and Selina Kyle's relationship
Gotham City - darker
Penguin's look - very cool and all

wrong
The portrance of The Penguin.
Dark, sort of a massmurderer sometimes
Bruce Wayne, still private and unknown to Gotham.

Gotham22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #82
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
I think it's really unfair to gang up on Joel Schumacher when Tim Burton didn't do the Caped Crusader any favors himself.
Not only restaured the dark atmopsphere and the badass personality to Batman, not only gave him the all black armoured suit, but Burton also made the franchise a popular one even till today and many of the aspects of his movies were taken by other directors for their own superhero movies.

Quote:
I actually think that "Batman Forever" was an improvement over "Batman Returns" in part because it tried to distance itself from the twisted, overstuffed, and sinister aspect of Burton's mindset.
Because what do "twisted" and "sinister" have to do with Batman, as opposed to Schumacher movie’s more accurate kid-friendly and flashy aspects.

I guess if we really try we can always find more value in a zanny Riddler and a Joker-impersonator ever-laughing comedic Two-Face than in the perfect Pfeiffer’s Catwoman and the really tragic Penguin.

Quote:
*Batman is a supporting character in his own movies (this is especially the case in "Batman Returns", where he's overshadowed by Penguin, Catwoman and Christopher Walken)
Overshadowed? Batman is Batman, is still the hero and at the same time he remains in shadows as he’s supposed to be.

I’m not saying that this is the only way to portray the character , but the overshadowed argument is simply a reaction to the average more screentime = more importance formula.

Quote:
*Batman brutally and intentionally kills his enemies with zero remorse. Tim Burton seemed to think that Batman should be some quirky, neurotic psycho with a death wish, not a heroic adventure, who is more altruistic in his goals.
Tim Burton seems to know what the original Batman was like.

Burton’s Batman is quite altruistic... to good innocent people, that is.

Quote:
*The Penguin as a bile spitting, mutant/sewer rat instead of the level headed, gentleman criminal as he was originally intended to be.
Luckily, he’s now a truly moving man-monster and not the average chubby guy in a tuxedo. Penguin was greatly imroved from the less than good original concept.

Quote:
*Lando Calrissian as Two-Face. Since when was Harvey Dent ever a black man? Burton also envisioned Marlon Wayans as Robin.
Burton considered a Robin before realising he – as many bat-fans – doesn’t want Robin anywhere next to Batman.

And gimme a break, we have had a black Kingpin and we’ll have a black Nick Fury. Even the animated series followed the black Harvey.

Oh and the name of the actor is not Lando Calrissian. For that matter should I say that Schuimacher gave us Ace Ventura as Riddler and Marshall Gerard as Two-face?

Quote:
*Catwoman as a bipolar, ex-secretary, who mystically (and magically gains martial arts and gymnastic skills in the process) gets revived by alley cats after her boss pushes her out of the window.
She’s never revived by cats. She never died.

And who’s to say she amongst other activities, used to learn martial arts in her free time before the accident?

Quote:
*Batman being made to look like a complete doofus and tool in "Batman Returns" (especially by Catwoman).
Batman has traditionally have Catwoman as one of his weakness. He’s in love with her. That doesn’t make him a tool.

Quote:
*Not showing enough of what inspired Bruce Wayne to become Batman in the first place. All that we know is that his parents got killed in front of him, and now his a reclusive nerd, who wants revenge (he uses his guise as an outlet to beat people who look at him funny up) against the world.
Nerd? Oh, I guess he wears glasses you felt compelled to make a cheap charicature.

And you gave yourself the answer. His parents got killed. There’s your motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Looks like some Schumacher defence is going on too :S

Last edited by El Payaso; 03-28-2008 at 11:05 AM.
El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #83
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Tim Burton supported the idea of the Joker being the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents from the very jump. Sam Hamm was reluctant to the plan, since it wasn't true to the source material.

Wrong. Batman used to be non indulgent towards criminals' lives since 1939.

In those comics as in Burton's movies he's too busy cleaning his city from criminals, defending the lives of the innocent good people to worry about what his image could be in terms of the comfortable classic morals.

Source material? Burton was faithful to Batman’s first incarnation which was later changed.

Quote:
However, the film was in production during a writers strike, for which Hamm had to participate in. During this down period, Burton was able to alter the script to his liking.

To the original Batman you mean.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #84
Two-Face
The White Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham22 View Post
Right
Batman - Dark and broody
Catwoman - Sexy and the style was great
Bruce Wayne/Bataman and Selina Kyle's relationship
Gotham City - darker
Penguin's look - very cool and all

wrong
The portrance of The Penguin.
Dark, sort of a massmurderer sometimes
Bruce Wayne, still private and unknown to Gotham.

I agree with everything.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman
Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #85
David Rice
Banned User

Quote:
Tim Burton supported the idea of the Joker being the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents from the very jump. Sam Hamm was reluctant to the plan, since it wasn't true to the source material. However, the film was in production during a writers strike, for which Hamm had to participate in. During this down period, Burton was able to alter the script to his liking. Also, blockbusters like Batman films should be directed towards a general audience. The reasons why "Batman Returns" and "Batman & Robin" didn't fare as well as the other two films because one pandered too much to adults and the other pandered too much towards kids (there was no balance).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_...%29#Production
I would reply to this, but El Payaso bet me to the punch! Read his posts and be educated in all that is Batman!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #86
Bat Attack
Mirth

Can we stop the *****ing and leave the movies alone? It was 19 years ago, get over it. Nothing is going to change so arguing in circles is pointless. I just take them for what they are now, some pretty awesome movies.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #87
Parents-Gun-Bat
Banned User

There is almost nothing "right" about Burton's Batman movies. THe first one is quite good - in his own realm. "Batman Forever" is much better and the second best after Batman REALLY Begins.

Parents-Gun-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #88
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Mr. Vigilante-10 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Attack View Post
Can we stop the *****ing and leave the movies alone? It was 19 years ago, get over it. Nothing is going to change so arguing in circles is pointless. I just take them for what they are now, some pretty awesome movies.
I agree, I only like discussing the good things about the films, though most will still whine about their dislikes of the films, I say the same, leave them alone and appreciate them for what they are, damn good batman films!

- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #89
CFE
This is a job for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parents-Gun-Bat View Post
There is almost nothing "right" about Burton's Batman movies. THe first one is quite good - in his own realm. "Batman Forever" is much better and the second best after Batman REALLY Begins.
I'm not critisizing your opinion, but I'm really interested to hear you elaborate on why you prefer "Batman Forever" to the Burton films.

I find it refreshing actually, since the general concensus here (myself included) is the other way around.

CFE

Chas Blankenship's "BAT-MANIA - The Exhibition Blog" -- Chas Blankenship's "SUPER-MANIA - The Exhibition Blog" - Coming Soon
CFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #90
Parents-Gun-Bat
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMICFILMEXPERT View Post
I'm not critisizing your opinion, but I'm really interested to hear you elaborate on why you prefer "Batman Forever" to the Burton films.

I find it refreshing actually, since the general concensus here (myself included) is the other way around.

CFE
Simple.

[Don't get me wrong Batman(89) is an amazing movie when it comes to atmosphere and design]

I think the whole portrayal of Batman/Bruce Wayne is somehow... off. It's not that they changed the source material, that happens all the time and is for a movie who has only a restricted time frame somehow necessary. But you should - at least - get the essence of the material right. But Batman being a strange guy, totally emotionless and deranged doesn't feel like "the Batman" I read when I was young. Batman was actually a cool guy to me to whom you could look up - but Burton's Batman/Bruce Wayne... he is a pathetic looser. And what do you expect from a script writen by a guy who says things like "Batman is basically an insane guy who ****s up his love life". The changes with the Penguin... man! some call it "better than the source material" but... what's the point? He isn't THE Penguin anymore. He is a sewer monster out to kill the firstborn? WTF? They could have made the Penguin a Jedi Knight and some people would scream "Yeah, better than the source". But if you don't like the original character... why do you use him? And Catwoman? You know what the basic character gimmick was? She was a thief. Burton's Cat-Zombie is not a thief at all. (I don't have much to say about Nicholson's Joker. I think he did a decent job, but HE could have done better. He didn't play himself, he played Cesar-Romero-gone-homicidal.

And don't start with the illogical things. Nobody knows about the Wayne murders. Yeah right. A parade of gangsters and no police... yes, of course. Penguin's men manipulating the Batmobile. It has all been discussed before.

And Batman Forever is really a kind of redemption. Batman is so heroic in this movie. He says things like "Harvey, you need help!" and shows compassion (Keaton Batman would've probably thrown a grenade or something like that). His Bruce Wayne acts like in the comics. This movie is really underrated. The design is in fact too neon and too crazy, no not even in the Silver Age Gotham City looked like this. And the scene where he saves the doctor AND Robin has actually more real symbolism than anything Burton did. The Riddler and Two-Face are not exactly the way I would imagine them. The Riddler is too crazy, he is almost the Joker and Two-Face flips his coin until it is right for him? WTF?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #91
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
I fail to see how Batman's actions in BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS cannot be described as altruistic in some regard. He clearly was out to protect the innocent and to better Gotham City.

Quote:
One of the original versions of Catwoman's origin was that she was an airline stewardess who got in a crash, had amnesia, and became Catwoman.

True story.

The writers needed a reason for a woman to dress up like a cat. They found one.

Quote:
I'm sorry..."tool"?

Have we never read a comic book where the villain bested Batman? What do you call what The Scarecrow did to him the first time they met in BATMAN BEGINS?

Quote:
I'd argue that while it wasn't expressly stated, the movie did pretty much show why Bruce Wayne became Batman. To fight crime that otherwise could not be fought through normal means. The state of Gotham was pretty clearly shown during the movie. Mobs carving up pieces of it, innocent people being harmed/accosted...I mean, "good opposing evil" is not a difficult or a deep concept.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 03-28-2008 at 07:21 PM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #92
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think the whole portrayal of Batman/Bruce Wayne is somehow... off. It's not that they changed the source material, that happens all the time and is for a movie who has only a restricted time frame somehow necessary. But you should - at least - get the essence of the material right. But Batman being a strange guy, totally emotionless and deranged doesn't feel like "the Batman" I read when I was young.
Batman was not totally emotionless in either movie. He was cracking jokes, displaying emotion, etc. He wasn't as outspoken as he generally is, but that was half the point.

Quote:
Batman was actually a cool guy to me to whom you could look up - but Burton's Batman/Bruce Wayne... he is a pathetic looser.
How so?

Quote:
And what do you expect from a script writen by a guy who says things like "Batman is basically an insane guy who ****s up his love life".
Take the quote in context. He wasn't talking about his entire philosophy on Batman, he was talking about the man's romantic life. And he's right. Being Batman DOES mess up his love life, repeatedly, both then and now.

Quote:
And Catwoman? You know what the basic character gimmick was?
She was a criminal who dressed in a cat motif?

Quote:
She was a thief.
Every single one of his villains was a thief when they were created. That's not really a clever concept. Besides...she stole his heart, didn't she?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #93
Parents-Gun-Bat
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Batman was not totally emotionless in either movie. He was cracking jokes, displaying emotion, etc. He wasn't as outspoken as he generally is, but that was half the point.
He was nothing like the comics.

Quote:

How so?
A guy who sits in his chair and cries all the time because he has lost his parents 20 years ago is a loser.

Quote:

Take the quote in context. He wasn't talking about his entire philosophy on Batman, he was talking about the man's romantic life. And he's right. Being Batman DOES mess up his love life, repeatedly, both then and now.
It's just his view on Batman. Reading his introduction to his "Blind Justice" story gave me the same vibe.

Quote:
She was a criminal who dressed in a cat motif?
Yeah, licked by radioactive cats.

Quote:
Every single one of his villains was a thief when they were created. That's not really a clever concept. Besides...she stole his heart, didn't she?
How deep!!! That's almost "Burton" to me, you know "Hello There" / "Hell Here" like. What a genius!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #94
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
He was nothing like the comics.
Yes, he was.

Quote:
A guy who sits in his chair and cries all the time because he has lost his parents 20 years ago is a loser.
Please tell me you're not basing this opinion on the ONE scene where we see him sitting in his study in the dark in Returns. And he's not crying, either.

Quote:
Yeah, licked by radioactive cats.
Radioactive cats? LOL! Were they glowing or something, because I must have missed that

Quote:
How deep!!! That's almost "Burton" to me, you know "Hello There" / "Hell Here" like. What a genius!
Yes, because it's not like Catwoman has ever been known to be witty

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #95
David Rice
Banned User

Quote:
Simple.

[Don't get me wrong Batman(89) is an amazing movie when it comes to atmosphere and design]

I think the whole portrayal of Batman/Bruce Wayne is somehow... off. It's not that they changed the source material, that happens all the time and is for a movie who has only a restricted time frame somehow necessary. But you should - at least - get the essence of the material right. But Batman being a strange guy, totally emotionless and deranged doesn't feel like "the Batman" I read when I was young. Batman was actually a cool guy to me to whom you could look up - but Burton's Batman/Bruce Wayne... he is a pathetic looser. And what do you expect from a script writen by a guy who says things like "Batman is basically an insane guy who ****s up his love life". The changes with the Penguin... man! some call it "better than the source material" but... what's the point? He isn't THE Penguin anymore. He is a sewer monster out to kill the firstborn? WTF? They could have made the Penguin a Jedi Knight and some people would scream "Yeah, better than the source". But if you don't like the original character... why do you use him? And Catwoman? You know what the basic character gimmick was? She was a thief. Burton's Cat-Zombie is not a thief at all. (I don't have much to say about Nicholson's Joker. I think he did a decent job, but HE could have done better. He didn't play himself, he played Cesar-Romero-gone-homicidal.

And don't start with the illogical things. Nobody knows about the Wayne murders. Yeah right. A parade of gangsters and no police... yes, of course. Penguin's men manipulating the Batmobile. It has all been discussed before.

And Batman Forever is really a kind of redemption. Batman is so heroic in this movie. He says things like "Harvey, you need help!" and shows compassion (Keaton Batman would've probably thrown a grenade or something like that). His Bruce Wayne acts like in the comics. This movie is really underrated. The design is in fact too neon and too crazy, no not even in the Silver Age Gotham City looked like this. And the scene where he saves the doctor AND Robin has actually more real symbolism than anything Burton did. The Riddler and Two-Face are not exactly the way I would imagine them. The Riddler is too crazy, he is almost the Joker and Two-Face flips his coin until it is right for him? WTF?
That's because Burton's vision was based on the 1940's Batman.

Bruce Wayne always screws up his love life because he can't really have one. The only real relationships he has is when he is Batman.

Zombie? How? She never died.

The mystery behind the Wayne murders was added for the general public. It's like Dr. Chase says in BF: Why would a man do this?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #96
Parents-Gun-Bat
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Yes, he was.
Yeah? Then show me the comic where Bruce Wayne seems to suffer from something like the Asperger syndrome or some attention deficit thing. He was totally unsure of himself. oh, and when did Bruce Wayne ever wear glasses? Does he wear contact lenses when he is out to fight crime? That's just something they added to show us "Ohh sis guy is intelligent". How deep, Mr Burton!

Quote:
Please tell me you're not basing this opinion on the ONE scene where we see him sitting in his study in the dark in Returns. And he's not crying, either.
I base it on the few scenes we see with "Bruce Wayne". He is a totally disturbed guy with some serious social phobias, it seems.

Quote:
Radioactive cats? LOL! Were they glowing or something, because I must have missed that
You know, dead girl, radioactive cats, resurrection
Or something like that.

Quote:
Yes, because it's not like Catwoman has ever been known to be witty

Old 03-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #97
Parents-Gun-Bat
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rice View Post
That's because Burton's vision was based on the 1940's Batman.
Yesyesyes, these things we always hear. It's not the killing, really. The 1940s Batman was not some depressed guy. As Bruce Wayne he was already a playboy with witty remarks. His interactions with Gordon and Julie Madison showed this. The "original Batman" threw out "one-liners" all the time. Hell, he even stopped to ask for the way once! Did I mention that this guy had friends? No. And in the original comics there was no Alfred. So. No.
Quote:
Bruce Wayne always screws up his love life because he can't really have one. The only real relationships he has is when he is Batman.
Modern psychobabble. In the original comics he had a fiancee.
Quote:
Zombie? How? She never died.
If you embrace Burton's depth you will see that she died but she has 9 lives or something like that! How clever! Zen galore!
Quote:
The mystery behind the Wayne murders was added for the general public. It's like Dr. Chase says in BF: Why would a man do this?
it's S-T-U-P-I.D. Perhaps they (Knox and Vale) didn't know it, because they are to young but they could have just asked some older guy.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #98
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

Quote:
Yeah? Then show me the comic where Bruce Wayne seems to suffer from something like the Asperger syndrome or some attention deficit thing.
Introversion is unrelated to an absence of self-confidence.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #99
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

Quote:
I base it on the few scenes we see with "Bruce Wayne". He is a totally disturbed guy with some serious social phobias, it seems.
Bruce is, was, and will probably continue to be a disturbed guy. Childhood trauma is the cause.

As for social phobias, he wasn't the Phantom of the Opera you're trying to make him out to be. Note the party wherein he calmly interacts with others. He's not sweating, scratching the back of his neck, or stammering.

He only valued his privacy.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #100
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

Quote:
As Bruce Wayne he was already a playboy with witty remarks. His interactions with Gordon and Julie Madison showed this.
"Because I bought it in Japan."

Witty by its ironic bluntness.