The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Default The Sinister Stane

Do you like the choice of Stane as the villain for this movie?

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Bubonic
Banned User

Default Re: The Sinister Stane

I like the choice and the casting.
IM's rogue gallery doesn't have much to work with, lots of robo dudes, mystical dragons...
Don't forget Mandarin is in the backdrop of this one, not sure how he'll be translated to screen, but I bet a hell of a lot better then they could do with the Unicorn.

Bubonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
The Guard
Side-Kick

I'm iffy. To me, Obadiah Stane, while being an ok character, is something of a cliche wrapped in a cliche wrapped in a cliche. He's yet another evil businessman who looks for weaknesses he can exploit and strengths and ideas someone else has that he can use to his own advantage. He's something of a corporate vampire. I am wondering how they will make him more relevant. I do like that he tends to do his own dirty work. Now, he may make a great villain if they take all his evil comic book elements into account. But I'm wondering if he will be a great character.

If The Mandarin is behind all this, one wonder's what Stane's plans are. Just to take over Stark Industries and replace Tony as the world's technogenius warlord when Stark abandons that life? Maybe, and that could be a good way to go. I just pray it's not something like, oh..."the hero ruined me, now I will seek the revenge".

Also, will Iron Monger and Iron Man have an aerial battle? Because that would be cool. But it's like...ok, he has Stark's designs...what the hell does he DO with them? And why use armor instead of something else? We'll see. Looking forward to it.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 04-14-2008 at 09:48 PM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Tempest19
Banned User

Guard, based off the novel I can tell you:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
U'll be pleased with the interpretation then. Stane's motives is the 'maybe' you described.

Tempest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I'm iffy. To me, Obadiah Stane, while being an ok character, is something of a cliche wrapped in a cliche wrapped in a cliche. He's yet another evil businessman who looks for weaknesses he can exploit and strengths and ideas someone else has that he can use to his own advantage. He's something of a corporate vampire. I am wondering how they will make him more relevant. I do like that he tends to do his own dirty work. Now, he may make a great villain if they take all his evil comic book elements into account. But I'm wondering if he will be a great character.

If The Mandarin is behind all this, one wonder's what Stane's plans are. Just to take over Stark Industries and replace Tony as the world's technogenius warlord when Stark abandons that life? Maybe, and that could be a good way to go. I just pray it's not something like, oh..."the hero ruined me, now I will seek the revenge".

Also, will Iron Monger and Iron Man have an aerial battle? Because that would be cool. But it's like...ok, he has Stark's designs...what the hell does he DO with them? And why use armor instead of something else? We'll see. Looking forward to it.

As Tempest said you should be happy with Stane in the film.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
He definitely doesn't go the whole "the hero ruined me, time for revenge" route. He warns Stark once then trys to immediatly pull the carpet out from under him. As for the use of Stark's design it explains it in the novel so I'm sure it will also in the film. Think of it more like an army of those to rule, Stane having just one is just the beginning.

Last edited by Figs; 04-14-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
The Guard
Side-Kick

Yeah, kind of figured it would go the "supersoldier" route plotwise.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

I think Bridges will do an excellent job.