2, Sucked major Iron Balls 2 0.35%
1, Hated it! Worst film I've ever seen! 1 0.17%
Voters: 575. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #76
DarthPollo
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Iron Man Rate & Review Thread

I just got back from the movie, I liked it a lot, you gotta love Robert D. Jr as Stark, man! I can't wait to see the sequel and see IM full capacity!!!
And yes they had the tank scene, wich looked a lot better in the big screen
I give it a 9, cuz it was really entertaining

Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #77
PJBoy
Side-Kick

Ok, I'm in Brazil right now and I just watched it, AWESOME! Robert D. Jr was fantastic as Tony Stark! And there are a scene after the credits with Nick Fury! I give it 10!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #78
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

It's amazing how much buzz this film is getting, I really think this might end up pulling in over 100 mil with the positive reviews. Right now it is the highest reviewed superhero film ever on RT.

As I said, in my estimation it is far an away the best Superhero adaptation put to film. But I realize I am a bit biased, but with the reviews coming in the way they are, I think you can see why.

As I said in my review, I think this could get Downey an Oscar nomination, the same way Jack Sparrow did for Jonny Dep. I don't think he'd win, because the voters don't go for that kind of thing, but he could definitely get a nomination.

Yes it's that good.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #79
I Am The Knight
World's Finest

OK, I saw this last night, but I'm finally getting to write a review:

Warning! Some minor spoilers throughout the review:

I have to say that one of the main reasons I found myself excited for this movie was the casting of Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark. I love RDJ....If you haven't seen him in movies like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and A Scanner Darkly...Do yourself a favor and go rent, no, buy these movies right away. RDJ's pure charisma practically lits up the screen. And those are relatively recent movies. The man has had an interesting career.

Having said that, I expected nothing less than an excellent performance from him in this movie. And, yes, I got just that. RDJ's Tony Stark is throughly charismatic, sarcastic, cocky, smart as hell, and a lot of fun to hang around with. RDJ handles the more playboy-ish side of Stark well, who is basically depicted as some kind of military friendly celebrity whose every antic is eaten up by the press. Tony Stark is on top of the world, and he is a bit of a full of himself irresponsible jerk you can't help but feel attracted to, in a way. A man whose company, Stark Industries, manufactures weapons and is basically riding on a wave of success thanks to the middle east conflict. A huge company for a huge man. The man who has it all. That is, of course, until he is kidnapped by the Ten Rings terrorist group after his Jericho missile demonstration to the military in Afghanistan. This leads to Stark getting his famous heart injury. The Ten Rings plan is simple: To have Stark assemble a Jericho missile for them, and then, most likely to have him killed. During his imprisonment, Stark befriends Dr. Yinsen, a fellow prisoner who helps him build his Mark I armor that will lead to his escape, and eventually starts to understand there is more to his life, and what he can do with the power (and responsibility, if you will, than a man like Tony Stark has to the world) than what he had ever considered in the past.

Stark escapes his captors, and returns to America with a big change of heart (no pun intended?) and intentions to completely re-organize Stark Industries to STOP making weapons, decides to explore the technology that helped him to escape, and re-evaluates his life and his role in a world where everything he knew and everything he has, had been acquired by selling Death to the same organizations he should be protecting people from.

Enter Iron Man: Tony Stark's newfound sense of noble duty and purpose come to life. With the help of his loyal assistant Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) his friend and Pentagon link Jim Rhodes (Terrence Howard) and his own genius, Stark embarks on a quest for redemption that ultimately will end up making him go against everything he stood for, up to his own company, represented by the behind-the-scenes manipulator and once trusted associate Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges).

:Wheh:

The Good: Includes some spoilers....

Performance wise, the movie is perfect. All the main players deliver credible performances, wich is more than what can be said about most comic book movies. I already mentioned how RDJ shines as Stark, but my second favorite performance goes to Paltrow. She is very effective at playing Potts. She is charming, intelligent, has chemistry with RDJ, and never comes off as the damsel in distress. Actually, she has a big part in the final battle, and, one could say that Stane would not have been defeated had it not been for her help. Think Gordon helping Batman stop the monorail in BB and you'll get an idea of how that plays.

Both Howard and especially Bridges as very good in their roles. Howard has a nice moment with the Mark II that sets up Iron Man 2, definitely. He plays the role with ease, as he actually has less screen time than what I thought, but when he's in the movie, he's a good foil for Stark. Jeff Bridges makes a menacing enough Stane, who can be a warm media person or a cold, power hungry puppet master who will betray even the people closest to him. He has a great scene with Pepper in the 3rd act in Stark's office where you can feel the tension between the 2. (At this point, Pepper is trying to to get enough info to prove to the authorities that Stane is behind everything) He knows this, but will he do anything about it?

The pacing and tone. This being a Marvel movie, it's no secret it was going to have a more or less fast pace and a fairly lighthearted tone. It's not quite a kid's film though, but to say that the film is dark would be a horrible mistake. The movie is fun, incredibly entertaining, and leaves you wanting more from Stark and Pepper, at least.

Now on to the action! I don't know what the REAL budget for Iron Man was, but let me tell you, Jon Favreau got the most out of it. From the Mark I POW escape, to testing of the Mark II, to the Middle East showdown between the Ten Rings and Stark in the Mark III, up until the final climatic battle with Iron Monger....The action is just fantastic and very inmersive. The "Dog Fight" with the F-22's is breathtaking. Iron Man going toe to toe with Iron Monger at the end, Stark with his armor going on low capacity, being thrown into cars, into buses....I don't wanna spoil the whole thing. The battle is cool as hell, as is the CGI. I don't know what was practical and what was VFX, but it all works. The movie looks stunning.

Now on to the bad....Spoilers, be warned....

I didn't find much wrong with this film, but I do have a couple of minor gripes about it:

Stane. He was a good villain, but just that. Competent. Menacing in certain scenes (like the aforementioned scene with Paltrow) but the script never allows him to trascend the typical corporate bastard turned comic book villain role. It's a shame, really, because Bridges is a great actor and with better material he could have been a truly memorable villain. As it stands, he works, but the script could have made him so much more interesting. BTW, as expected, no suicide at the end. He dies through other means....

Also, another thing. How come Stane became so good at using the armor? The film suggests that Stark spent some valuable time getting used to the armor and how to control it, but Stane is a master at being Iron Monger in under 5 minutes?

The last thing: Rhodes. He was well played by Howard, but his character felt almost unnecessary. It was like he just had to fulfill the obligatory "friend" role. In the end, he was used mostly to advertise what's coming in the sequel.

-----

Well, that's it. I didn't expect to write that much but I guess I just felt like typing I definitely recommend this movie to everyone....It's the perfect summer movie, and should appeal to most people. I give this movie a 9 and declare it one of the best comic book movies I've ever seen, and a thriump for Marvel.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!

Last edited by I Am The Knight; 04-30-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #80
StylishHokie21
Side-Kick

Nice review Knight! Looking forward to watching it.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #81
I Am The Knight
World's Finest

Thanks. Fixed some hideous typos and missing words in the review. I was typing fast, LOL.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #82
Duende Verde
Side-Kick

OK, I just got back from the movies, and all I have to say is that Iron Man is awesome!

I'm familiar with the character but I have to admit that I haven't followed his comics that much. After seeing him on the big screen I'm now an Iron Man fan, Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark/Iron Man just oozes cool, nobody else could have pulled a believable character as he did.

I give this movie a 10. Sure, it's not perfect but you won't be able to tell with all the fun you'll have watching this film.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:04 AM   #83
Star
Slurr

I saw it. RBJ was SO AMAZING IN IT. I honestly never liked him as an actor at all before this movie, and he was just perfect for Tony Stark. I loved the plot, the action, the characters, everything.

My screening was a press screening or something, and it didn't have the scene after the credits! Uncool!

But honestly can I say I LOVE Iron Man's ''origin'' story? I don't know, there is something about it thats far more intriguing to me then a lot of other ones. And I thought Jarvis being his computer was ... well, I could accept it.

All in all, definitely lives up to all the hype and MORE.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:36 AM   #84
Stifmeister
The Dark Knight

i saw iron man last night and il tell you this movie ****in rocks and the reason i could se iron man så early was beacuase of the sneek preview here in sweden. and you guys must se this movie it was fun,smar and ****ing metal-butt-terrorist kicking!

i give the film 8.3/10

Old 05-01-2008, 03:03 AM   #85
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-bats View Post
harlekin, did you feel an anti-war / anti-US military vibe when you watched IM?

some of the early reviews seem to suggest that that was a subtle theme or tone in the movie......

I'm really excited about the movie, but that might dampen my enthusiasm a bit.......
It's not done in a very blatant or pretentious way. It's suggesting that big corporations make weapons funded by the military, and then the weapons are sold to terrorists or the black market, fall into the wrong hands etc.

I see it as more of keeping in line with elements of the comics. Because this is something Stark has dealt with for years. Ultimately what is the Iron Man armor? It's a weapon. What happens to the Iron Man armor in the comics and the movie? PEOPLE STEAL IT! Bad guys steal it and use it! So hopefully the later movies will address this as well.

I give it 9/10. My full review will be up soon. Very satisfying. Great performances and it definitely got the right tone. There's humor to the movie but it doesn't overdo and make it silly or stupid like FF or Ghost Rider. There's a good seriousness to Stark's character that the movie gets at the right moments.

Ultimately it really works as an origin story much moreso than the animated movie which really did a bad job of the origin. It comes off much better here.

What is so great about this movie though? It feels like something greater is at work. This movie feels like it was laying the groundwork for the TRUE Marvel movie universe. It all starts with Iron Man.

- CM Punk
Old 05-01-2008, 05:28 AM   #86
WarBlade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
It feels like something greater is at work. This movie feels like it was laying the groundwork for the TRUE Marvel movie universe.
I have a differing impression. To me it seemed more like an Avengers/SHIELD movie universe.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #87
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

IRON MAN REVIEW

(SPOILERS AHEAD!)

For the last couple years, it seemed as if the “golden age” of superhero movies was coming to a sad end, with the exception of Christopher Nolanīs highly-anticipated return to the directorīs chair of a Batman movie with The Dark Knight. Even though I didnīt think either X3, Superman Returns or Spider-Man 3 were the train wrecks some fans make them out to be, without a doubt they polarized the fanbase. FF: ROTS was much better than the first, but still not enough to be good. Ghost Rider, letīs face it, was a C-list movie based on a C-list character.

And, of all characters, itīs Iron man the first to bring things back to the right track. A character who many fans consider B-list, whoīs not a superhero the mainstream cultureīs aware of, like Spidey or Bats. But director Jon Favreau pulls it off simply with well-done filmmaking, telling a good story that makes the most of the potential of the franchise. You can clearly see a strong influence of Batman Begins or Singerīs X-Men movies in Favreauīs very real world, no-nonsense approach to this comic book universe. He doesnīt even shy away from touching some gray areas of militarism and war without becoming too preachy or pseudo-intellectual.

But Favreauīs true stroke of genius, as has been stated again and again, was the apparently risky casting of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man. An no, it wasnīt morbid curiosity towards RDJīs well-known real-life similarities to Stark that made it work for me, but simply a performance that adds many layers to a character thatīs tough to make sympathetic and relatable. RDJ gives cockiness, charm, warmth, a quick-witted sense of humor and even a somewhat childlike enthusiasm to Stark. The whole point of the movie is the characterīs figurative, and literal, change of heart, and two of my favorite scenes in the movie deal directly with the question, one with Pepper replacing the chest piece that protects his heart from shrapnels, the other a confrontation with the villain.

As for the rest of the cast, Jeff Bridges is charismatic and gleefully perverse as Obediah, Starkīs deceitful partner turned supervillain as Iron Monger. I was never a fan of Gwyneth Paltrow, but Pepper definitely has a more active role in the movie than most superhero girlfriends, and itīs a good change of pace to have this role played by someone whoīs believable as an adult professional woman, instead of the cover of Teen Magazine... The one that didnīt leave much of an impression for me was Terrence Howard, but his role in this is pretty small – heīll have a much bigger chance to shine in the future as War Machine, as a scene suggests.

Some people think origin stories are a drag, that they should cut faster to the fights in tights, but for many of us theyīre some of the best parts of these movies. Thereīs a great mix of fear and exhilaration as you discover to be capable of doing something no one else can. Itīs like finding out you can play guitar like Jimi Hendrix or play basketball like Michael Jordan. The trial-and-error of figuring it out opens a door for a lot of humor and fun, and RDJ has some very entertaining moments as he develops the suit. Itīs especially cool when he first gets to fly, a scene done mostly with wires that really makes you feel like you could be up there with him, instead of fancy CGI stuff. Thereīs plenty of humor in IM and itīs not “dark”, but itīs never dumb or desperately hammered into every frame the way a Michael Bay or a Stephen Sommers does. No, I have nothing against fun, I just donīt need to be treated like I have an IQ of 75 or less or ADD for that sake. The movie finds the right balance between serious and fun mostly, but the action stuff lacked a bit for me. As a moviegoer I was always engaged, but as a comics geek Iīd have liked to see more of IM in the gold and red suit kicking ass, but again, there will be plenty of room for that in a sequel.

One personal gripe with the political aspect of the movie was Shellheadīs intervention in Afghanistan. I know Batman fights street thugs all the time, IM was doing the right thing and correcting a problem his own company created, but still itīs kind of a delicate “break of the fantasy” situation, an American superhero interfering in a very real-looking conflict in a foreign country, which raises quite a few questions, to say the least…

Iron Man may not be one of the genres masterpieces. But it can be said that, in many ways, Favreau did for Shellhead what Singer did for X-Men, Raimi for Spidey or Nolan for Batman. He successfully translated the comic book lore into an interesting and exciting live-action summer film without dumbing it down or losing sight of what made the lore interesting to begin with. I was never a big fan of Iron Man and now I canīt wait for a bigger and better sequel, and I feel pretty confident thereīs going to be one. If The Dark Knight is as awesome as it looks and The Incredible Hulk gets it right this time, this could be the best year ever for superhero movies.

GRADE: 8 OUT OF 10

(an edited version of this review may show up on www.batman-on-film.com)

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.

Last edited by ultimatefan; 05-01-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #88
Darknightnomis
The Dark Knight Strikes!

Nice review Ultimatefan. I'm seeing it tonight and I hope it is as good as you and others have describe.

I do have to let you know that throughtout IronMan's history he always been moraly ambiguious when it comes to killing villians as well as interferering wiht world affairs.

In the original Marvel comic he did kill some Vietcong to escape in the Mark I (which I guess inthe movie is updated to Afghanatan rebels) and even as recent as last year in the "Extremes" storyline he litterally ripp the head of the villian of the story to stop his killing spree and in the follow up story ar "Executive Program" he "killed" a viliian by stopping his heart and then brought him back to life by starting it again.

At the end of the story he did the same thing to himself when someone had comprimise his armor.

THE DARK KNIGHT!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #89
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknightnomis View Post
Nice review Ultimatefan. I'm seeing it tonight and I hope it is as good as you and others have describe.

I do have to let you know that throughtout IronMan's history he always been moraly ambiguious when it comes to killing villians as well as interferering wiht world affairs.

In the original Marvel comic he did kill some Vietcong to escape in the Mark I (which I guess inthe movie is updated to Afghanatan rebels) and even as recent as last year in the "Extremes" storyline he litterally ripp the head of the villian of the story to stop his killing spree and in the follow up story ar "Executive Program" he "killed" a viliian by stopping his heart and then brought him back to life by starting it again.

At the end of the story he did the same thing to himself when someone had comprimise his armor.

Thatīs good to know, itīs harder to write those reviews when youīre not fully aware of the lore. I take it back.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.

Last edited by ultimatefan; 05-01-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #90
Jul-el
Side-Kick

I loved it.RDJ was great.Good humour.Rhodes was great.Brilliant CGI.Better flying than Superman (but that's another story for another thread/forum)Surpassed my expectations.Loved the post credits.We were the only ones there.When will these suckas learn!!!Bravo!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #91
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Just got back, I absolutely loved it, Ive got no complaints, RDJ for me gives the best lead performance in any comic book movie, his charisma and deft ability to shift from defiant to cocky to sincere and passionate is fantastic to watch and makes you care about Stark all the way.

Paltrow was charming and sexy as Pepper and gave Tony that human link to himself, Jeff Bridges was all presence and menace as Stane, simply brilliant!
For me the movie struck a great balance, the story was interesting and followed itself through in a smart and logical path while developing Stark and showcasing the creation of the armour and tech he uses. The humour worked in all the right places and never felt like it was shoved down my throat like in some other movies. It was also balanced well with some warm moments and some dramatic ones. The scenes between Stark and Yinsen were particularly well played, adding some real heft to the film.

The action and effects were awesome, great sequences shot with plenty of verve and money shots, in fact there were a lot of tremendous "money" shots that didn't even involve action. I also liked that the action and suit time didn't crowd out Stark, Pepper and Stane, it felt to me like they did a great job of spacing the action out into healthy doses. Terence Howard is a bit underused but it's clear he will expand his role in a sequel and there simply wasn't room to use him anymore than he was in this one.

The summer movie season is off to a great start.

9/10

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #92
RoboAmish
Side-Kick

I cannot wait to see RDJ in all his glory tomorrow!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #93
Keymaker
Side-Kick

Loved it! The last act seemed too much like standard comic book film territory, though. But overall it was a great film and deserves to be the start of a new franchise comparable to X-men in size.

8/10

Old 05-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #94
Dark Donnie
Kenny Powers is Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Just got back, I absolutely loved it, Ive got no complaints, RDJ for me gives the best lead performance in any comic book movie, his charisma and deft ability to shift from defiant to cocky to sincere and passionate is fantastic to watch and makes you care about Stark all the way.

Paltrow was charming and sexy as Pepper and gave Tony that human link to himself, Jeff Bridges was all presence and menace as Stane, simply brilliant!
For me the movie struck a great balance, the story was interesting and followed itself through in a smart and logical path while developing Stark and showcasing the creation of the armour and tech he uses. The humour worked in all the right places and never felt like it was shoved down my throat like in some other movies. It was also balanced well with some warm moments and some dramatic ones. The scenes between Stark and Yinsen were particularly well played, adding some real heft to the film.

The action and effects were awesome, great sequences shot with plenty of verve and money shots, in fact there were a lot of tremendous "money" shots that didn't even involve action. I also liked that the action and suit time didn't crowd out Stark, Pepper and Stane, it felt to me like they did a great job of spacing the action out into healthy doses. Terence Howard is a bit underused but it's clear he will expand his role in a sequel and there simply wasn't room to use him anymore than he was in this one.

9/10
Glad you liked it, I'll probably make my way out there tommorow or saturday

Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #95
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Awesome. How about a review?
I am writing one!

D

Old 05-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #96
Sava
Dont cry, my dear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post

9/10
feel the same way

8/10

When you can see the future, you think you're capable of changing it, but you're just a witness to coming moments, unable to help -The Air I Breathe
Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #97
The Dutch Hulk
Side-Kick

Hi from the Netherlands and just saw the movie and i thought it was great......great effects and can't wait for the sequel!

I give the movie a 9/10

The Dark Knight - Joker Moments
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #98
scrown
Side-Kick

Seen it and loved it. Aghh now I just gotta wait for the dvd to be released. ;P

Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #99
bapi
Side-Kick

I've just seen Iron Man and... it's a good summer movie. Bob is amazing, brilliant. Gwyneth is perfect and so beautiful and Jeff Bridges doesn't have a big part but when he's on the screen... it's funny and great because he's so great as Obadiah Stane. And Terrence Howard... like he's a really good actor but his character is like 1D, not 3D. Jimmy is not a real character in this movie. But what is also bad is that there's not a lot of action. And when is... it's not like from Michael Bay's movies. But the biggest minus is the screenplay. It's not a big story or just... you don't feel any story in that. It's a pity. And that scene with Obadiah and Tony without 'something' is stupid. Sorry. But... Jon did a good job. It's not the best superhero movie ever but it's a good start for Iron Man franchise. And also Matthew Libatique's camera is very good. Ramin Djawandi's music not so much. )

My rating is 7/10. Better 7, like 7.5.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 05-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #100
Carlo Comicus
Side-Kick

I have seen the movie here in Italy this afternoon. It's great! Downey it's awesome! Great movie!! Thanks to Jon Favreau!!

Closed Thread