Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Polaris Thread

pretty manly either way

tank girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #102
jmc247
Side-Kick

I think Lorna may be in pretty bad physical and mental shape when she finally gets out in the next year or two. Vulcan and Deathbird will be sure to make life a living hell for Lorna as revenge for almost killing Vulcan as they are doing with Havok.

Lorna can handle a certain amount of torture, but long periods of isolation and the fear of abandonment has historically caused some pretty bad emotional and mental breakdowns for Lorna.

Here is a preview pic for Devided We Stand 2. No real spoilers. We knew Vulcan would be torturing the hell out of Alex.

Last edited by jmc247; 04-24-2008 at 07:56 PM.
jmc247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #103
Havok83
Side-Kick

I just hope it doesnt make her crazier than ever bc the last thing we need is yet another psycho Lorna.

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #104
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I just hope it doesnt make her crazier than ever bc the last thing we need is yet another psycho Lorna.
It is going to have a big effect on her as well as Havok the question is what should be the effect on her.

If I had a choice I would rather have a return to kick ass angry 2004 Lorna, then weak and emotionally broken Lorna like early Milligan Lorna or early Alan Davis Lorna. Austen in 2004 found a good balance giving her an edge and having her be a somewhat dark character at the same time be a vital part of the X-Men.

Since the end of Austen's run she really hasn't had much of a personality or an edge that makes her stand out as a character. Certainly Austen went too far with what he did with Lorna in 2003, but he was finding a good balance with the character in 2004 before he left. Since 04 she has lost alot of the things that made her stand out as a character.

Here is a good example of Milligan's emotionally broken Lorna.

Last edited by jmc247; 04-24-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #105
Havok83
Side-Kick

Id rather see more of the X-factor version of Lorna. That was her at her best. Ive hated everything done with her since that series ended

Old 04-24-2008, 11:11 PM   #106
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
Id rather see more of the X-factor version of Lorna. That was her at her best. Ive hated everything done with her since that series ended
PAD's Lorna was certainly a very well written and interesting version of Lorna. But, he is the only writer who was able to write that unique multifaceted version of Lorna.

What Lorna needs is a set personality with an edge that fans recognize and find interesting that is clear enough that it can be passed from one writer to the next.

Lorna keeps going from writer to writer with completely different views on what her personality should be. Sadly, alot of writers just write her as wallpaper/the girl behind Havok, because they don't know what to do with the character or what her personality should be.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #107
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
PAD's Lorna was certainly a very well written and interesting version of Lorna. But, he is the only writer who was able to write that unique multifaceted version of Lorna.

What Lorna needs is a set personality with an edge that fans recognize and find interesting that is clear enough that it can be passed from one writer to the next.

Lorna keeps going from writer to writer with completely different views on what her personality should be. Sadly, alot of writers just write her as wallpaper/the girl behind Havok, because they don't know what to do with the character or what her personality should be.
IA and thats been my problem with her. Id rather she get away from Havok bc he does nothing for her character. Id love to see a strong, confident Lorna independent on her own, but Im not putting much hope in seeing that happen. I wish Carey got a chance to write for her, bc I think he'd do her justice. She'd make such a perfect fit over in Legacy right now especially with her past with Magneto and their connection. Not to mention despite being one of Xavier's first students, we havent seen them do much interacting over the years. Id love to see that explored.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #108
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
IA and thats been my problem with her. Id rather she get away from Havok bc he does nothing for her character. Id love to see a strong, confident Lorna independent on her own, but Im not putting much hope in seeing that happen. I wish Carey got a chance to write for her, bc I think he'd do her justice. She'd make such a perfect fit over in Legacy right now especially with her past with Magneto and their connection. Not to mention despite being one of Xavier's first students, we havent seen them do much interacting over the years. Id love to see that explored.
I agree with you that Lorna suffers greatly when she is simply Havok's girlfriend. When they are together her entire world pretty much revolves around him. The vast majority of her conversations end up being with Havok and the few conversations with others like with Rachel in EV also end up being about Havok.

In alot of ways it reminds me of Angel on BtVS. As a character on BtVS he could never be anything more then Buffy's vampire boyfriend. Buffy got to interact with tons of characters all the time. But, Angel was mostly stuck interacting with Buffy and the times he was talking to other people it was almost always Buffy related issues. In order for Angel to break out as a character he had to get his own show. He was allowed to really grow as a character beyond Buffy's boyfriend on his own show and he could still love Buffy and they could have their reunions every so often.

The point is that Lorna won't be able to really develop into her own character unless she is on a different ongoing then Havok.

I agree with you that Lorna would be a perfect fit right now on X-Men Legacy. But, sadly someone already asked the X-editors if Lorna would show up on X-Men Legacy a few weeks ago so she could get some interaction with Magneto given they haven't interacted in the 616 in 8 years now. The answer was no she wouldn't show up on X-Men Legacy. They also said that the Vulcan arc would end in Uncanny sometime in the future. I have the feeling Lorna is going to be stuck in space at least another year to a year and a half.

I really do wish Bru had simply brought Lorna, Havok, and Rachel home at the end of RAFOTSE. He didn't have to include them in Uncanny, they could have gone into limbo on Earth or been picked up by other writers. Look at Pietro right now. He is in limbo, but he has been all over the place since HoM and he has his own one shot next month. I suspect if it wasn't for this space arc Lorna would likely have ended up on Legacy.

Last edited by jmc247; 04-25-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #109
jmc247
Side-Kick

I reciently finished a piece of Polaris art

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f132/jmc247/2-4.jpg

Last edited by jmc247; 04-26-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #110
jmc247
Side-Kick

Lots of great art at Devientart.com by different posters about what Lorna should look like in Wolverine and the X-Men. Someone came out with a pretty good pic just today.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #111
Havok83
Side-Kick

that actually does look pretty good. I would love to see her animated again

Old 05-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #112
tank girl
Side-Kick

im sure you would

tank girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:39 AM   #113
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank girl View Post
im sure you would
why that smiley?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #114
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
that actually does look pretty good. I would love to see her animated again
I would like to see her animated again as well. Wolverine and the X-Men looks like it will be a somewhat more mature continuation of X-Men Evo.

My guess is if they consider using Lorna they will decide to use her as simply a green haired girlfriend for Alex or if they go the Magneto storyline route they won't want to have her be a clone of evo Wanda, another super power unstable daughter who wants to kill him. Instead the only other option I suspect they might go for is the origional 1960s Queen of Mutants plotline which was somewhat reprised in the late 1990s to early 2000s where Magneto who is leading Genosha wants Lorna to basically become the heir to his kingdom.

The biggest thing seperating Polaris from Wanda and Pietro when it comes to their relationship with him over time is that he (including the late 60s later retconned version of him) wanted Polaris to take over his dream and legacy from him. He has never considered Wanda or Pietro to be competent to do so nor does he want any old mutant supremacist like Exodus as his heir, he wants someone who is deep down a good person who wants to protect mutant rights. Of course M-day screwed all this up in the Marvel universe for the time being and has destoryed all of Magneto's dreams and hopes for mutantkind, but M-day likely won't hit the animated X-Men universe.

If you watch the promo for Wolverine and the X-Men there is a sign in the background with Magneto behind it saying 'come to Genosha' so Genosha will play a big role in at least the first season of the series. The development of mutant controlled Genosha was closely connected to Lorna and it had a bigger impact on her then any of the X-Men so it would be a shame to leave her out of it and replace her with someone like Rogue which I suspect they may do.

Last edited by jmc247; 05-06-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #115
jmc247
Side-Kick

Yes, I was right check out the trailer for Wolverine and the X-Men.

http://marvel.com/videos/319.Wolveri..._Debut_Trailer

Snapshots

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...0506170729.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...0506170950.jpg

Last edited by jmc247; 05-14-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #116
Havok83
Side-Kick

Is that a new one? I never saw that one

Old 05-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #117
mightiest_mortal
Much Mightier than thou!

yep. go to marvel.com its on teh front page

mightiest_mortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #118
insane polaris
Side-Kick

looks like Polaris is gonna have some screen time at least for a few episodes. i wish we'd heard her talk! i wanna know what her voice is like.

and Mystique looks amazing

insane polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #119
jmc247
Side-Kick

From the high resolution version you can actually see that she is wearing Magneto's helmet, meaning he just gave it to her (along with his cape) she didn't make her own. And, from the picture it looks like Genosha is being wiped out behind them. Lorna isn't going to die in this scene, but it very well might be the death of Genosha.

Since Genosha is burning they are likely under heavy attack and there are really two choices Magneto either thinks she betrayed Genosha to those attacking the city or much more likely he gave her his helmet to carry on his legacy (which his helmet represents) and is booting her from the battle because he thinks they are losing and he is willing to go down with Genosha, but doesn't want Lorna doing the same and wants his legacy to live on. Given it is much less likely he would have given over his helmet to Lorna during a major battle if he thought she betrayed him and Genosha I think the latter option is by far and away most likely.

One can make out alot more with the high resolution version of the Marvel trailer up at Marvel.com.

Last edited by jmc247; 05-15-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #120
jmc247
Side-Kick

I was reading some older issues and doing so made me realize quite clearly that Lorna's biggest historic problem hasn't been emotional or mental illness it has been mind control.

Erik the Red, Mesmero, Apocalypse, Sauron, and the Shadow King have all scr**ed with her mind.

Hell, even the U.S. military planned to brainwash her and use her as a WMD against Magneto and his base Avalon if the Magneto Protocols failed. Perhaps the greatest fear for Lorna in the next sage of the Emperor Vulcan plotline is her being brainwashed by the Shi'ar again not her being mentally ill from the torture and isolation. If I was Lorna I would want to find or learn some decient telepathic protection for myself.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #121
Havok83
Side-Kick

^^^ makes you wonder how weak her mind is then if she's been so susceptible to mind control over the years. I think they've kind of gone hand in hand, more so in the past 10 years than ever. I dont think Lorna is mentally a strong person. Even Rogue has had it more together than her and lord knows she has had some serious mental issues as a result of the powers she has

Old 05-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #122
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
^^^ makes you wonder how weak her mind is then if she's been so susceptible to mind control over the years. I think they've kind of gone hand in hand, more so in the past 10 years than ever. I dont think Lorna is mentally a strong person. Even Rogue has had it more together than her and lord knows she has had some serious mental issues as a result of the powers she has
It is going to be bad for her for awhile when they finally get out of Vulcan's torture chambers. They have a preview pic with dialogue up for Devided We Stand 2 next week.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:57 AM   #123
Valechan
Banned User

Shouldn't the electro-magnetic forces she controls sort of give her immunity or great resistance to telepathic attacks? It works for Ororo...

Valechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #124
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valechan View Post
Shouldn't the electro-magnetic forces she controls sort of give her immunity or great resistance to telepathic attacks? It works for Ororo...
Magneto does the same thing and has the added protection of his helmet which somehow protects him. If Lorna learned how to do the same thing on Genosha or not hasn't been brought up.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #125
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valechan View Post
Lorna isnt as skilled as them. Thats the explanation that would make the most sense