2, Sucked major Iron Balls 2 0.35%
1, Hated it! Worst film I've ever seen! 1 0.17%
Voters: 575. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #101
Bren
Forevernoob

Default Re: The Official Iron Man Rate & Review Thread

Great fun film to watch, and yes, I'm now a fan of RDJ!

Can't think of anything negative to say, other than going to movies costs money and I don't have any left, so I can't go see it again immediately!!

Just one wish;
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the final final scene is such a brilliant teaser, but unless SHIELD kept all of these other superheros cooped up in a room, surely the world would've known about them, even just as rumours in tabloids. Do you think Thor (my great hope for a next film) would keep a low profile just for SHIELD?

I wish there had been a moment while he was finishing up the Mk3 armour, and he heard (in the background on TV) a newscaster mention a crazy guy claiming to be the god of thunder. Tony looks back at his armour, smiles and says "well, anything's possible"

This would fit in better than suggesting that these guys have been around and noone knew about them. Think about it, Iron Man was hardly active and the journalists were already questioning Stark about IM.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #102
ActuallyRobin
Side-Kick

here is my mini review. Now bare in mind i really knew nothing about the character till I knew the movie was coming out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuallyRobin View Post
and I'm back from Iron Man

They showed the OLD TDK trailer, but that's sorta ok cos I hadn't seen it on the big screen, also, the new Indy 4 trailer, good stuff.

Alsso, let's get a couple of frivalous points out of the way:

1) Gwyneth Paltrow looks hot, I'd hit it, and so would you
2) Jeff Bridges is looking portly, I think he might have diabeetus.

And on to my review:

It was a really enjoyable and solid film I kinda saw some of the plot points coming 10 miles off but that didn't stop me having a great time. I like the touches of humor spread throughout the film, esp Paltrow's 'taking out the trash' line haha.

Downey Jr IS the film almost, his charisma is like a 50 tonne elephant. I'm not sure how good it would have been with another actor, but as things go, it's downey Jr and it is great like that.

I don't have many criticisms but one would be that the ending felt kinda rushed. Also, I didn't like how
Obadiah casually mentions the term 'iron mongers' when talking to Stark at one point
, it didn't seem right. Neither of these stopped me from enjoying the film though.

Ok that's all folks

Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #103
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknightnomis View Post
Nice review Ultimatefan. I'm seeing it tonight and I hope it is as good as you and others have describe.

I do have to let you know that throughtout IronMan's history he always been moraly ambiguious when it comes to killing villians as well as interferering wiht world affairs.

In the original Marvel comic he did kill some Vietcong to escape in the Mark I (which I guess inthe movie is updated to Afghanatan rebels) and even as recent as last year in the "Extremes" storyline he litterally ripp the head of the villian of the story to stop his killing spree and in the follow up story ar "Executive Program" he "killed" a viliian by stopping his heart and then brought him back to life by starting it again.

At the end of the story he did the same thing to himself when someone had comprimise his armor.

Not to forget Galactic Storm, when Stark was at odds with fellow Avenger Captain America over wanting to kill the alien Kree's Supreme Intelligence to protect Earth from being Invaded...Yeah, Stark is definitely willing to cross the line to get the job done (so to speak)...

Old 05-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #104
Dangerous
Banned User

Wow just saw Iron Man and it was rad as hell!
I'd give it an 8.5/10, so I'm going to hit 9 on the poll.

A couple of things have to be noted regarding my feelings on the film. I do not read nor have I ever read Iron Man comics. Being a general Superhero freak I'd say I was easier to impress. I don't want to take anything away from IM- it's an amazing Superhero film, but I reckon IM fan opinions are more valid than my own. Having said that, many webheads loved the Spidey films and being the hardcore Spidey loving freak that I am, I am not a fan of the movies. I think they fail to capture the toughness and quick witted dexterity of the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man I read every month. Plus the deviations from the source irked me considerably.

My thoughts on Iron Man-

The film's pacing is spot on, I don't understand the critics who have noted there are some dead points and that some parts drag.
RDJ is awesome in the lead role of Stark/Iron Man and always entertaining to watch. The technology he is able to create is a little far fetched but then I had to remind myself a few times I was watching a superhero film.

The sequence in which he escapes his captors in the middle east is the most gripping part of the film, but not necessarily the highlight... For me that would be either the first time we see the MkIII when he does his first rescue or the fight with Iron Monger at the end of the film. Stark/ Iron Man escaping from his cave and then blasting off into the sky before plummeting to earth was entertaining all the way. When he landed in the sand it was another one of those points when I thought to myself 'would he have been able to survive that?' but it's a comicbook movie, cool!

The scenes that switched from RDJ wearing the real prop suit to CGI were seamless, and the shots were he was in the MkIII with his mask up- I could not tell whether it was a CG shot or it was the actual prop! Paltrow, who I usually don't like was good in this limited role and made her part believable. The tomcats scene was AMAZING! Totally Bad ass, and the end fight with Iron Munger was just the right length. Not too long, not too short and nothing like the crappy Doom Vs FF fight in the 2005 FF film as one Hypester had previously noted in this thread.

I would have preferred Fury to look like he does in 616, but that was after the credits so it don't matter that much. Aside from that I'd say Iron Man is pretty much flawless as a Superhero film. It was very fun and the effects were superb but for me it was just missing that extra something. I did not walk out of the cinema buzzing like after I saw BB for the first time, but I did walk out loving it and talking with my comrades about Iron Man 2- Avengers???!!!!! Providing the cast/crew is reunited the second film could be the best SH film ever.

So yeah, Iron Man for me is the best Marvel movie thus far and definitely in the top 5 Superhero films to date.. which I reckon looks like this- (If you disagree you are wrong )-

1-Batman Begins
2-Superman The Movie
3-Iron Man
4-Batman
5-Batman Returns

Looking forward to Incredible Hulk...

EDIT- Iron Man's voice sooo COOL!

Last edited by Dangerous; 05-01-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #105
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

As someone who doesn't read the Iron Man comics, and knows virtually nothing about the character, I have to say the movie was awesome. The characters were all interesting and wonderfully played, the plot was cool, and the special fx were terrific.

10/10

- The Joker
Old 05-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #106
Isildurīs Heir
What are you looking at?

Iīm going to see the movie in 45 minutes, so, the review will come afterwards.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #107
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildurīs Heir View Post
Iīm going to see the movie in 45 minutes, so, the review will come afterwards.
Grrr, I hate you, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see it again!

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #108
Frank Noir
Side-Kick

Alright, my small review.

First: I liked the structure of the film. Good pacing, but a few times I felt like it was moving a little too fast. With Mark 2, for example. Suddenly he's in the suit. I would have liked to see more of the creation of it.

The acting is very good. Robert Downey Jr is great as always. He really embraces the part and is an excellent Tony Stark. Gwyneth Paltrow is charming and actually useful to the story. I am a big fan of Jeff Bridges and he's great in IM. I wasn't too fond of Terrence Howard; it's a stupid argument, but I don't like his voice. He didn't really impress me. There's a little cameo for Favreau as well.

I expected to dislike the score by Ramin Djawadi, but it works well in the film. It's no John Williams, but like I said, it's works.

Finally, the special effects. I can tell you: they're fantastic. You can't tell where the SFX are, and that's probably the best compliment you can give Industrial Light & Magic.

A free tip:

Stay until after the end credits.

Last edited by Frank Noir; 05-01-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #109
Darknightnomis
The Dark Knight Strikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy View Post
Not to forget Galactic Storm, when Stark was at odds with fellow Avenger Captain America over wanting to kill the alien Kree's Supreme Intelligence to protect Earth from being Invaded...Yeah, Stark is definitely willing to cross the line to get the job done (so to speak)...
Well if you ask me Captain Stacy, Tony Stark iniative program to get superheroes to registered with the federal government in the CIVIL WAR storyline lead to the death of Captain America or at least put Cap in a position for he Red Skull to take advatage off and have him killed.

But Tony Stark questionable morals have always been an appealing factor to the character to me.

THE DARK KNIGHT!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #110
BaleISBatman4ev
Side-Kick

Ok so can we confirm the New Drak Knight trailer is NOT in front of Iron Man?

Old 05-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #111
BaleISBatman4ev
Side-Kick

Ok so can we confirm the New Dark Knight trailer is NOT in front of Iron Man?

Old 05-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #112
StylishHokie21
Side-Kick

Great reviews guys. I'll be sure to check it out either today or tomorrow.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #113
protocida
Side-Kick

The. Best. Movie. Yet.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #114
Devil
Banned User

For me "Iron Man" is the best Marvel movie ever. Great, great! Fantastic!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #115
TEKK

Greetings from Germany!

Incredible Movie!

Very good action, special effects and actors!
The flight sequences are much better than the superman returns movie, and i love superman
Robert Downey Jr. plays amazing in this movie!!

10/10

Old 05-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #116
antonydavanzo
Side-Kick

WOW!!!! Amazingly perfect. And what a great easter egg after the credits!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #117
Kent
The Lord of Thwipp

Just got back from seeing this. Great film... I really, really liked it.

RDJ's performance is the highlight of the film, he truly does give the role believability in all aspects (comedic as well as serious). That is not to say, though, that the rest of the film is somehow not good. Everything from pacing, to the close to flawless effects, to the great music (yes, I liked it) really worked for me. I didn't think the Iron Man Vs. Iron Monger fight was too short, and I thought Jeff Bridges was a great villain.

The only problems I had with the films were the few moments when something would happen that seemed "unrealistic". I mean, I accept that Tony Stark can build these things because it's part of the premise of the film, but when he
did the crash landing in the Mark I, and when he did the 10% thrust test my brain instantly went "He should be dead or permanently in a wheelchair from that!"
. But this is minor to me.

I voted 9/10. One of the best superhero-flicks to date, and possibly the best one.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #118
Dotten
Side-Kick

9/10. The best superheromovie based on a Marvel character and almost as good as Superman: The Movie. In the top five with Superman TM, Spider-Man, Batman and Batman Begins.

Only thing I missed was a great music-score and for a genius Stark was a bit too naive. Except for that it was perfect for a fan and quite good for everyone else.

Oh, and yes the scene after the credits was genius, a great treat for all Marvelgeeks.

I don't give a #Ī/# who your father is, stop walking around on the water were I'm fishing!!

Last edited by Dotten; 05-01-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #119
ReggieWhiteJr
Regular Guy

Saw the sneak preview. FREAKING AWESOME! If you want to know what I thought of the movie without giving too much away, just read my latest blog entry, which can be viewed in my sig.

Movie rocked.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #120
Kent
The Lord of Thwipp

Oh, and I loved the little reel they had near the start, the one that showed the history of Stark Enterprises with old photos and magazine covers. Howard Stark, Obadiah Stane and Tony Stark...

It really helped establish a history there, while at the same time establishing Tony as a super genius when it comes to tech. Very good.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #121
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
did the crash landing in the Mark I, and when he did the 10% thrust test my brain instantly went "He should be dead or permanently in a wheelchair from that!"
. But this is minor to me.
Haha! Yeah i laughed out loud at that, thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotten View Post

Only thing I missed was a great music-score and for a genious Stark was a bit too naive. Except for that it was perfect for a fan and quite good for everyone else.
Being a genius with tech doesn't make him a genius at business, it's made clear he relies totally on Pepper to get through any business commitments and that he also has left the running of Stark enterprises money side to Stane.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 05-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #122
Fred-Green
Side-Kick

i watched yesterday and it was awesome. its been a while since weve gotten a GOOD superheroe movie. glad to see marvel back on track

Old 05-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #123
Dando
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post

Being a genius with tech doesn't make him a genius at business, it's made clear he relies totally on Pepper to get through any business commitments and that he also has left the running of Stark enterprises money side to Stane.
Good point. In this movie Stark truly appears to divide his time between engineering and womanising. Not board and business meetings.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #124
Shivsguy616
Side-Kick

This film was amazing! 10!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #125
Dotten
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post

Not the business thing I was thinking of, but that he could be so "fooled" by the guy ending up as his enemy. And the fact that bad-guys also got hold of his weapons. A bit too surprised, he should have forseen the possibility that the bad-guys in Afghanistan could get a hold of his weapons. But it didn't really bug me, the movie was close to perfect. I was a reinvention of the superhero-franchise and it's like a piece of a bigger puzzle. I loved how they treated it that way, showing us that there is a bigger picture. And the next piece will be shown in a couple of months with The Hulk-movie.

They are building something big and I hope they succeed. This was a real blast, Favreau did a great job. He's like Michael Bay with more intellect and a bit less testosterone. Marvel could not get a better start and this is a kind of movie that very few will dislike. It has an universal appeal and it was more fun than Batman Begins.

I like how Stark is much like Bale, but he is much more ruthless and charming. And does not spend all day philosophizing. But a tad more naive then Wayne. But ultimately Wayne is a nicer guy showing more mercy. Iron Man was really bad ass, but his confidence and charm makes him a more likable character then the more gritty (but surprisingly nicer) Wayne.

For the real villain in this movie was actually Stark. He did his transformation and had to clean up the mess left by the bad-guy Stark. But he did not leave his "ruthlessness" behind. He has no hesitation when it comes to killing. I liked that "edge" about him and it will be interesting to see where they take him in the future.

I don't give a #Ī/# who your father is, stop walking around on the water were I'm fishing!!

Closed Thread