Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 06-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
liamoversion2
Side-Kick

Default Famke finally speaks her mind about the treatment of Phoenix in X3

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...-out-over.html

The MAIN ARTICLE for the interview is here:

http://www.thefilmexperience.net/mis...nssen_pt1.html

Don't think this has been posted yet. Apologies if it has.

She's completely right. They had her kill Scott, the professor and then as she put it, 'just left it hanging.' I'm through with my negativity about this film but seriously... it was just moronic wasn't it? They're pouring tens of millions of dollars into making these huge set pieces and then they don't even try to string it together with a single line of dialogue.

liamoversion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Famke finally speaks her mind about the treatment of Phoenix in X3

It was posted here, in the Jean Grey thread on this page, but... no problem, I don't mind people getting a reminder!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
javon
Side-Kick

Damn, I guess we aren't the only ones unhappy with that piece of crap.

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I wouldn't go that far. But where they went wrong is NOT that they changed things but that they didn't fully justify their own changes.

If you're going to kill Cyclops, then give it a sense of meaning and ceremony; if you are going to have Phoenix decide to go to Alcatraz then give it some meaning and depth.

I've been reading the comics for 30 years and i don't mind the changes - it's no use being totally anal about things being altered. X3 did push things a lot beyond the comicbook interpretation, but its mistake was that it didn't make those changes work properly. Not only did they upset fans, but they disappointed the mainstream who have no idea of the comicbook background.

I would love an extended edition; others want to just forget the movie and move on and yet they don't seem able to move on...

Old 06-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
CB Fan
The Watcher

I don't think there is anyway you can justify killing Scott. X3 should have never touched on the cure to me, the phoenix can definitely hold her own she should have been the main and not a secondary story line. The phoenix killing xavier wasn't too hard to believe because he did lock her up for a long time so they justified somewhat well. I've found that as long as I dont think too much into what could have been done with the story line Im somewhat satisfied with the movie, but thats easier said then done especially when Im watching X2 and that last scene comes up with the Phoenix.

CB Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

This makes me like Famke a lot more.

I remember the whole excuse saying that what we got in X-3 is what Famke felt the Phoenix was.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
CB Fan
The Watcher

Do yall think she was talkin about hugh and halle (whom she supposedly got into an argument with on set) when she said some people get paid alot of money and need to have as much screen time as possible.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Majik1387

Wouldn't surprise me. I doubt it was Ian or Patrick.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
liamoversion2
Side-Kick

Yes, she was definitely talking bout Hugh and Halle and to a lesser extent, Ian and Patrick, since those four would have been paid the most.

I applaud her for keeping her cool and managing to stay on track during shooting. If it were me in that position I would have gone completely bonkers. Imagine shooting that scene in the woods with logan and thinking, 'shouldn't my character have some dialogue here?', especially in a film where her character is supposed to be the antagonist. That would drive a person nuts! I'm getting angry just thinking about it.

But do you have any more infomation about the fight that they had? I remember Anna Paquin being a bit touchy with Halle during one of the Cannes interviews. Anna was saying how he character didn't get to fight for all three films when Halle started talking about her character needing to fight in the third film. I think only their professionalism saved them from an argument. I also thought most of the actors were pissed in one way or another. The impression that I got from Ellen Page was that she just found the whole thing bizarre. She seems to be blazingly smart. I'd say she watched the film and silently laughed. Halle was just in la la land though and Hugh probably wasn't too interested because he had sixteen films to shoot the following month.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
Majik1387

I honestly don't think Hugh had much to do with the creative process in terms of the script. I don't think he was the one that said "Make me Wolverclops/Cyclorine" because like liamoversion2 sai, he was busy making other movies as well. I honestly think Famke was talking about Halle.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #11
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

I agree with the Hugh part. It's obvious to me she was talking about Halle. X-Men on its own already has way too many characters to deal. You add egos and budgets, it becomes chaos. Though nowadays I don't think Halle had too much screen time. And even the time she got was poorly used. So I'd say she as much a victim as the next actor.

The major problem was on FOX (oh so new argument). They wanted WOLVERINE to be the center, and clearly Wolverine was in 95% of the movie (even if Hugh didn't push for it), so they neglected Phoenix and most other cool characters, like Mystique, Rogue, blah blah blah. They still added the damn cure, which was a great plot, but that could never be stuffed in a movie about Phoenix, with only 1h 44m.

flavio_lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
Angamb
Banned User

if I would have worked as an actor in the x-men films, or any of them, I wouldn't stay quiet while I see most of the main x-men are wasted while my character is the stupid star during all of the film.

So seeing it since this point of view, I hate Hugh Jackman for letting that to happen.

I think he has his fault too, the same as the studio, writers and Ratner.

Hugh knew he was the star in a "team" movie, and he knew how important Cyclops and Phoenix are in the comics, so he didn't respect at all the source material, he didn't care about it.

But definetly, that's just my opinion.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
CB Fan
The Watcher

^ I definetly think that all the blame falls on the studio. They hired a director who wasn't a fan of the comics (singer) and all went to hell after that. Not saying Singer didn't make good films but only a fan of the books could really do justice to them

Old 06-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
Storm22
Side-Kick

Good on her for speaking out. As much as I thought the Dark Phoenix vs. Xavier scene in X3 was the most powerful scene of the entire trilogy, I would have liked to have seen more of Dark Phoenix' development. I agree they should have focussed solely on her character in the movie. The scene with her and Cyclops should definitely have been better developed and longer!

I like her little indirect jab at Halle Berry and Hugh Jackman too.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
Retroman
Side-Kick

Nice interview, Famke seems quite laid back here.

Dark Phoenix was really underdeveloped in the movie but we already knew that didn't we? It's good that she's finally come clean about it.

Anyone notice how the behind the scenes goings on this movie (same on Superman) seem to be far more interesting than movie itself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I would love an extended edition; others want to just forget the movie and move on and yet they don't seem able to move on...
Same here. It depends on how much footage is added though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavio_lebeau View Post
The major problem was on FOX (oh so new argument). They wanted WOLVERINE to be the center, and clearly Wolverine was in 95% of the movie (even if Hugh didn't push for it), so they neglected Phoenix and most other cool characters, like Mystique, Rogue, blah blah blah. They still added the damn cure, which was a great plot, but that could never be stuffed in a movie about Phoenix, with only 1h 44m.
Yeah but Ratner should also take part of the blame for that.
Quote:
So what was the biggest scene you shot to fit your own sense... that's different from the previous two films? What will people who know your work as a director see as distinctively something of yours?

Ratner: I don't think it's a shot. I don't think it's something like Spike Lee with the shot of the guy floating down the street. (laughter) I think it's more of an energy. If you watch the other movies and you watch this movie, I think this movie has a pace that's my kind of ADD frenetic... I get bored very easily so... next scene, next scene, next scene, keep it moving, keep it moving, keep it moving... I mean, did you fall asleep at all in the film or no? A few times?
Source: http://www.blackfilm.com/20060519/fe...tratner2.shtml

*sigh*

Old 06-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #16
Majik1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
if I would have worked as an actor in the x-men films, or any of them, I wouldn't stay quiet while I see most of the main x-men are wasted while my character is the stupid star during all of the film.

So seeing it since this point of view, I hate Hugh Jackman for letting that to happen.

I think he has his fault too, the same as the studio, writers and Ratner.

Hugh knew he was the star in a "team" movie, and he knew how important Cyclops and Phoenix are in the comics, so he didn't respect at all the source material, he didn't care about it.

But definetly, that's just my opinion.
I don't really follow too much of the interviews, but where has Hugh Jackman said he was a fan of the comics and knew how all the character's importance was?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
Nice interview, Famke seems quite laid back here.
From the work I've seen her do, she seems like a cool, laid back actress.
Quote:
Anyone notice how the behind the scenes goings on this movie (same on Superman) seem to be far more interesting than movie itself?
If only there was a secretive crew member with a video camera.
Quote:
Yeah but Ratner should also take part of the blame for that.

Source: http://www.blackfilm.com/20060519/fe...tratner2.shtml

*sigh*
Definitely. Studio and Ratner are the only ones who really take the blame imho.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #17
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
I don't really follow too much of the interviews, but where has Hugh Jackman said he was a fan of the comics and knew how all the character's importance was?
thanks for your response, majik.

None needs to read many comics to know that all the x-men have his/her story in the comics, and all have been important in some moment in the x-men history.

I'm 100% sure Hugh have read some x-men numbers, maybe not much, but a few ones yes.

And he probably knew Phoenix saga before X3, and knew Cyclops was important, or that Rogue never took the cure.... don't know, all the important things... he knows who are the x-men.

In my opinion, he didn't care at all for the final result of X3, he only knew he had a good role, and many scenes, with all the other actors, so he was satisfied during the production of the movie.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #18
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Well done Famke, she is spot on with her comments, the lack of a Pheonix arc was one of the main reasons we got an absolutely terrible movie rather than the one we should have had, X3 should have been the benchmark all other CB movies would follow, instead, it shows as an example of how NOT to do a CB movie, terrible.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #19
jrd550
He who is him

wow great find... that is why fox sucks... all marvel properties should revert back to Marvel so their films aren't made into happy meals for kids with a.d.d.

jrd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:18 AM   #20
britrogue
Side-Kick

I'm in complete agreement. I was utterly disgusted with Phoenix's treatment in X3. A complete waste of Singer's build up, and a total waste of a very talented actress.

Top rated song of the week
I Walk Alone - Tarja Turunen
britrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #21
liamoversion2
Side-Kick

Ok, so they screwed up the phoenix saga (God knows why they were so reluctant to pursue such a fantastic story) and we were all a bit shocked at the result, which was a film that, to put it mildly, failed on pretty much every level.

Is there any possible redemption from this? Do you think when a studio approaches the material in the future for a possible do-over, that they'll realize how important the Phoenix saga is and give it the attention it deserves? Or will they just set up a simple 3 film arc and sidestep the Phoenix entirely, thinking it too risky to bother with?

Because it's really like there was no continuation of Bryan Singer's story. The third film is only barely in continuity with the first two. We pretty much just never saw the conclusion to the first two films. The third one is a total write off. It doesn't really even constitute a film since most of the characters are running around like headless chickens.

It just has to be done right some day. Even now, with Wolverine and the x-men, Jean Grey is being killed in the first episode. Avi Arad is the producer I believe so that's no surprise.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #22
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Famke finally speaks her mind about the treatment of Phoenix in X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamoversion2 View Post
Ok, so they screwed up the phoenix saga (God knows why they were so reluctant to pursue such a fantastic story) and we were all a bit shocked at the result, which was a film that, to put it mildly, failed on pretty much every level.

Is there any possible redemption from this? Do you think when a studio approaches the material in the future for a possible do-over, that they'll realize how important the Phoenix saga is and give it the attention it deserves? Or will they just set up a simple 3 film arc and sidestep the Phoenix entirely, thinking it too risky to bother with?

Because it's really like there was no continuation of Bryan Singer's story. The third film is only barely in continuity with the first two. We pretty much just never saw the conclusion to the first two films. The third one is a total write off. It doesn't really even constitute a film since most of the characters are running around like headless chickens.

It just has to be done right some day. Even now, with Wolverine and the x-men, Jean Grey is being killed in the first episode. Avi Arad is the producer I believe so that's no surprise.
Once Marvel gets more hits under their belt and more money, I say they should buy the rights back from Fox and keep them. It's obvious that X3 has left a bad taste in the mouths of the fans and of course the actors involved.

Famke isn't happy, Anna wasn't happy, and I know James can't be happy with his involvement in the film. Push comes to shove it's only a matter of time before the franchise is rebooted, which ultimately will be a good thing for fans and for the stories. I remember all the debate wars I had with Danoyse, Nell, X-Maniac, and Logan Babe over the content of X3 and how it was mediocre at best.

Nice to see that I, along with a lot of other people, were right about the film all this time.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #23
Neptune
Uchiha!

I still don't get why they used the cure storlyline when the Phoenix storyline was already set up in X-2. Why would they want to do both of them half assed at the same time when they could have done just one of them and really nail it?

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #24
ChaoticPsylocke
Edges I like 'em Rough.

cuz theyre stupid! and i love famke!

ChaoticPsylocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #25
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

I kinda had a feeling she felt this way all along. And yes, that was a swipe she took at Berry. Though I'm not sure it was entirely warranted because Halle's scenes had nothing to do with...well, anyone else. It was just more SFX-driven stuff.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote