The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #51
liamoversion2
Side-Kick

Th Cool Re: Famke finally speaks her mind about the treatment of Phoenix in X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrazy View Post
Leaving it hanging was I guess, the writer's and Ratner's idea so they can expand the franchise so they can make an X4 or 5 or 6. I would be sooo happy if they did that. Because I was "massively" disappointed with The Last Stand... leaving the theatre, I have so many thoughts in my head... "It just wasn't right!", "What the hell just happened!"... these are the thoughts in my head. I was expecting too much from the film that I just thought it fell short. It was the Phoenix's time to shine... the fire, the Phoenix Force... it's non-existent! I can forgive anything that is different from the comic book to film... but this, recognizable, significant element of the character that is nowhere to be seen! It just blew everything up! Completely disappointed! Juggernaut... not believable... random unpopular, villains... terrible, Colossus metal powers revamped... what the hell!, Rogue still get no action (still a runaway after 3 films) what the hell times 3!, death of three important X-Men (Cyclops, Jean..double death, Professor X) Lame-O! Though I'm happy about Iceman get to Ice-up... finally!, Storm getting a lot of action... satisfied!, But the biggest downer... Jean! special effects, superb! BUT, where is the Phoenix?! I'm still mourning for this movie... my chest is like crunched, every time I think about it...

Wow that pertty much sums up the whole list of problems doesn't it? There were also some dodgy/unfinished special effects at the end (see Iceman/Kitty Pride jump off a building, fall into the ground and then pop back up a la 'charmed'). Oh and some downright disgusting editing in the final scenes. As in:

'the film's out in four days just edit the f****** thing!'

Last edited by liamoversion2; 06-19-2008 at 05:03 AM.
liamoversion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #52
Slim
Side-Kick

Default Re: Famke finally speaks her mind about the treatment of Phoenix in X3

A whole bunch of factors came together and ruined the movie. Fox, Singer leaving, bad writers, lame director, awful choices... They knew that they could make a crap movie and still make a lot of money, the obviously didn't care about quality at all.

And what urks me the most, is that they totally destroyed any hopes of a sequel with the same cast. I don't even want to think of an x-movie without Patrick Stewart, and there's no chance of cyclops getting any recognition now. Thinking about Singer's plans to film X3 and X4 together makes me really sad. Would have been a dream come true.

Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:04 AM   #53
StormCrazy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamoversion2 View Post
Wow that pertty much sums up the whole list of problems doesn't it? There were also some dodgy/unfinished special effects at the end (see Iceman/Kitty Pride jump off a building, fall into the ground and then pop back up a la 'charmed'). Oh and some downright disgusting editing in the final scenes. As in:

'these two shots don't coincide with each other...'

'the film's out in four days just edit the f****** thing!'

Do you hear that Fox? we are your customers and we are not happy. You will not be getting repeat business.

'Don't lecture me about war. This already is a war'.

Couldn't resist. Maybe we all need therapy? Billed to Fox of course.
Oh! Another one... Kitty and Colossus as X-Men! There could have been a side story to it. Or if someone could just have asked "Why are you in the team anyways?" Kitty would go "because we're the new recruits.. blah blah blah" But you won't see that ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
A whole bunch of factors came together and ruined the movie. Fox, Singer leaving, bad writers, lame director, awful choices... They knew that they could make a crap movie and still make a lot of money, the obviously didn't care about quality at all.

And what urks me the most, is that they totally destroyed any hopes of a sequel with the same cast. I don't even want to think of an x-movie without Patrick Stewart, and there's no chance of cyclops getting any recognition now. Thinking about Singer's plans to film X3 and X4 together makes me really sad. Would have been a dream come true.
True that! The artistic quality is just lacking comparing it to Singer's movies! The sets were just crap! And Cyclops' absence from almost the entire movie was also a huge thumbs down! How can they do that during a time of crisis! He's supposed to be there during this important storyline... could have at least showed up and saved the day... but no! I was expecting it, but he was really dead... (or maybe his molecules are scattered into space or whatever) It sucks so bad!

StormCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:31 AM   #54
MoPlaYa
Crazy Guy

Quote:
Oh! Another one... Kitty and Colossus as X-Men! There could have been a side story to it. Or if someone could just have asked "Why are you in the team anyways?" Kitty would go "because we're the new recruits.. blah blah blah" But you won't see that ever!

I was thinking about that myself

Old 06-18-2008, 05:51 AM   #55
liamoversion2
Side-Kick

Rarely is a film as good as Iron Man, or Batman begins or x-men 2. When it came to X3, the trailer was synopsis, and the film was more like a trailer. There's no real plot in the film. Or if there is one it's so undeveloped it's barely visible.

But with regard to Famke, didn't she turn down some roles, in part because she knew she would playing Phoenix and she was told it would be a main event type thing? I know she turned down the Terminatrix in T3... which probably was a good thing after all... although it was still a good part I think

Old 06-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #56
Retroman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
If only there was a secretive crew member with a video camera.
That would be quite a documentary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Definitely. Studio and Ratner are the only ones who really take the blame imho.
Yeah, it makes you wonder if what could have been if they had given Matthew Vaughn a little more time to preprare and not try to rush into theaters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd550 View Post
wow great find... that is why fox sucks... all marvel properties should revert back to Marvel so their films aren't made into happy meals for kids with a.d.d.
When you have to convince a studio that Dr.Doom needs to wear a mask you know you're dealing with the wrong crowd.
Quote:
Rarely is a film as good as Iron Man, or Batman begins or x-men 2. When it came to X3, the trailer was synopsis, and the film was more like a trailer. There's no real plot in the film. Or if there is one it's so undeveloped it's barely visible.

But with regard to Famke, didn't she turn down some roles, in part because she knew she would playing Phoenix and she was told it would be a main event type thing? I know she turned down the Terminatrix in T3... which probably was a good thing after all... although it was still a good part I think
T3 was shooting at the same time as X2 so i think that's why she turned that down.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #57
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
And I also remember reading awhile ago--I think it was in Variety, and I'm not sure how accurate this is--that as part of the distribution deal that Hugh's production company got with Fox, he had to do X3 and the Wolverine solo movie.

So I don't think it was a matter of Hugh just demanding tons of screentime and being the focus of the movie--the studio decided that from the beginning. And it wouldn't have been so easy for him to just walk away if it meant risking whatever deal his company had made with Fox.

The blame for what went wrong really lies with Fox. They had no idea (and really didn't care) what they had and wasted so many opportunities to make a better movie. I think anyone involved with the movie who is upset about it had every right to be.
Oh i blame Fox above all, but i still think Ratner, Penn, Kinberg and Jackman all gave significant contributions to this steaming turd pile.

Quote:
Leaving it hanging was I guess, the writer's and Ratner's idea so they can expand the franchise so they can make an X4 or 5 or 6. I would be sooo happy if they did that. Because I was "massively" disappointed with The Last Stand... leaving the theatre, I have so many thoughts in my head... "It just wasn't right!", "What the hell just happened!"... these are the thoughts in my head. I was expecting too much from the film that I just thought it fell short. It was the Phoenix's time to shine... the fire, the Phoenix Force... it's non-existent! I can forgive anything that is different from the comic book to film... but this, recognizable, significant element of the character that is nowhere to be seen! It just blew everything up! Completely disappointed! Juggernaut... not believable... random unpopular, villains... terrible, Colossus metal powers revamped... what the hell!, Rogue still get no action (still a runaway after 3 films) what the hell times 3!, death of three important X-Men (Cyclops, Jean..double death, Professor X) Lame-O! Though I'm happy about Iceman get to Ice-up... finally!, Storm getting a lot of action... satisfied!, But the biggest downer... Jean! special effects, superb! BUT, where is the Phoenix?! I'm still mourning for this movie... my chest is like crunched, every time I think about it...
I still feel exactly the same, i just cant get my head around what they thought they were doing for this movie, it just astonishes me how bad it actually turned out.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #58
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Oh i blame Fox above all, but i still think Ratner, Penn, Kinberg and Jackman all gave significant contributions to this steaming turd pile.
I'm agreed. All of them had their part.

I'd like to know who decided to make the movie with 1 hour and 30 minutes. I think it weren't the writers, so it was Fox or Ratner.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:39 AM   #59
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I'm agreed. All of them had their part.

I'd like to know who decided to make the movie with 1 hour and 30 minutes. I think it weren't the writers, so it was Fox or Ratner.
I know what an absolutely STUPID decision, normally i would blame Fox, but Ratner himself said in an interview it will be short, because he himself has a short attention span, what an idiot.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 06-22-2008, 07:48 AM   #60
liamoversion2
Side-Kick

I've been thinking about that and lately I'm starting to think that they didn't have enough money to do anything... They must not have because can anyone actually say they thought the special effects at the end looked ok? I really thought a lot of them looked unfinished/really bad. And when you factor in salaries for Berry, Jackman, Stewart, Mckellen, paquin, and Famke who probably would have been paid more than on X2 due to her more 'central' role, the cash really starts to pile up. That's probably why we got such a ****ty, short movie. Probably not a lot of cash actually ended up going into production.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #61
Storm22
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've been thinking about that and lately I'm starting to think that they didn't have enough money to do anything... They must not have because can anyone actually say they thought the special effects at the end looked ok?
Em, yes! The effects in X3 were great imo.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #62
Angamb
Banned User

almost all were great, but the "Phoenix" effect at the end was really poor, I mean, the "flying" moment of Jean.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #63
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've been thinking about that and lately I'm starting to think that they didn't have enough money to do anything... They must not have because can anyone actually say they thought the special effects at the end looked ok? I really thought a lot of them looked unfinished/really bad. And when you factor in salaries for Berry, Jackman, Stewart, Mckellen, paquin, and Famke who probably would have been paid more than on X2 due to her more 'central' role, the cash really starts to pile up. That's probably why we got such a ****ty, short movie. Probably not a lot of cash actually ended up going into production.

I remember reading an article a year ago in which Laura Donner admitted that the budget spiraled out of control after Matthew Vaughn left. A lot of the money was obviously wasted on sets that couldn't be used after Vaughn's departure. Also, a lot of the money was probably wasted on marketing this film. I had never seen a film with that many previews and t.v. spots. Advertising the movie with the NBA playoffs must have cost Fox a fortune.

Finally, I heard Ratner needed an average of 30 takes to get most scenes right. That's why the DVD ended up having an unheard of 21 deleted scenes.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.
Theweepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:54 AM   #64
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSunrise1981 View Post
Nice to see that I, along with a lot of other people, were right about the film all this time.
There's still no right or wrong, it's still all a matter of opinion.

My opinion on the film is still the same as it was when we had all of those arguments.

It's a good film. What it does right, I feel it does best out of the entire franchise, and when it succeeds, it's the best of the trilogy.

When it goes wrong, and yes it does go wrong in places, it goes wrong worse than anything Singer did, and is the worst of the trilogy.

Singer's were more consistent. Didn't have the missteps of Ratner's film, but doesn't reach the peaks either.

Ratner's film hit 2 extremes. Reached peaks that Singer never did, and elevated the franchise to levels it never had been. Also had some very steep drops, falling lower than anything else in the franchise.

Includes movie information, timeline theories, character bios, and more!
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 AM   #65
Angamb
Banned User

X3 has good ideas and all, definetly, but is the wort movie, and isn't a good movie. It's a mediocre one. Is mostly a superhero/summer movie with some nice action moments, some, not all.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #66
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

The only thing I thought Ratner got right in X3 was the pacing of the danger room sequence. The pacing was perfect.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #67
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I didnt think he got anything right, the movie was a shambles.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #68
Angamb
Banned User

I didn't like the danger room sequence either.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #69
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I didn't like the danger room sequence either.
Overall, I didn't think the danger room sequence was that great. It was way too short however, I still liked the pacing of what little was presented. The sequence should have been at least 5 minutes long for us to really get into it. It's a shame that it ended right when I was starting to get interested. The X-men barely used their powers in that sequence. The cheesy looking robot head didn't making things better.

CBM hack list:

Old 07-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #70
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^In the end it was just a crushing dissapointment (like the rest of the movie, and another scene simply created so Wolverine could take the spotlight, it was pathetic.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #71
javphonic
Side-Kick

I agree, X3 should've focused mainly on Phoenix and her development, speak out Famke!

javphonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:49 AM   #72
StylishHokie21
Side-Kick

Now we know why she look bored throughout the movie. I don't blame her.

StylishHokie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #73
Celestial
Side-Kick

Quote:
FAMKE: Thatís not the way it works. The way it works is that some people get paid a lot of money on those movies and Iím not one of them. And they need to give them as much screen time as possible. Thatís really how it works.
She sounds like she's having a go at the Hollywood system rather than the actors. What must make this annoying is that they didn't have to worry about that sort of thing for X1 as there weren't any big name stars. But since then Hugh, Halle and Ian McKellen have become much bigger stars.

In X3, I think it was Ian McKellen who got the best lines and scenes and because he's a great actor he made the most of it.

Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:05 PM   #74
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
She sounds like she's having a go at the Hollywood system rather than the actors. What must make this annoying is that they didn't have to worry about that sort of thing for X1 as there weren't any big name stars. But since then Hugh, Halle and Ian McKellen have become much bigger stars.

In X3, I think it was Ian McKellen who got the best lines and scenes and because he's a great actor he made the most of it.
What's really bizzare about all this is since when did Halle Berry become a star? She was recognized for her acting and won an accademy award for her performance in Monster's Ball. That movie had mixed reviews and if not for it's tiny budget it wouldn't have made any money. Also, Halle was never a boxoffice draw and hasn't starred in anything noteworthy before or after the X-Men films.

CBM hack list:

Old 07-30-2008, 04:28 AM   #75
Celestial
Side-Kick

She became a star sometime between X1 and X2. The Oscar was part of it, but I think it started with her awards for "Dorothy Dandridge". The Hollywood machine decided she was a STAR and she got the attention.

Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote