The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 07-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #51
Man Who Laughed
I'm nobody, really.

Default Re: Am I the only one who feels like B'89 is vastly overrated?

I like the movie b/c I grew up with it. I love it b/c its Batman. That said, I thought Returns was better. I hate how nobody addressed the whole "Bat" theme until Schumacher did BF. The way I look at it, BF is the easiest to watch. It's a popcorn flick. BR had the best story of the originals. B89 was good, but characters were under-developed, flawed, and out of their essence. Tim Burton didn't read the comics, so there's that. B&R is basically an atrocity. Modern day '66. And Begins has been the truest so far. Bruce doesn't know how to be Bruce, Batman wants to stop crime, not get revenge, Alfred is a father figure, and Gordon is the straight by-the-book cop that he is in the comics.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
GOONGALA!!!
Man Who Laughed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #52
BatFan1986
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubastis View Post
Hear me out. I'm not trying to hate on the movie; I appreciate the things that it did for the Batman Franchise (for the better) and what it means to people. Visually it kicks major ass, Elfman's score still gives me goosebumps, and Jack Nicholson has fun as the joker.

Please, before you flame me, please keep in mind that this is my own personal opinion. OK.

But here's my other feeling on the film, and there are quotes from other people in here. I can't stand Keaton's hollow performance and lack of chemistry with the also hollow Kim Bassinger. (who was only in the film because of her relationship with Jon "Giant Spider" Peters) I hate the idea that Batman exists solely out of revenge for his parents, or that he would be willing to kill the joker with a gun. I hate the lack of any reason to care about any of the characters, I hate the lack of any connection between the moment where Bruce Wayne's parents are shot and Bruce Wayne becoming Batman, I hate the lack of any explanation as to how the Joker's Goons got on top of the church tower, I hate the way one shot from a six-shooter that has inexplicably been hidden in the joker's pant leg can destroy the frickin' bat-plane. I hate the poor characterization of Batman. The goddamn prince songs, to this day, make the film teeth-grittingly dated and unwatchable, as are the sequences of the Joker dancing like a moron to them. I don't know why the Joker feels the necessity to create an ant-batman PR campaign as if he has something to gain by the public hating batman, like they're running for mayor of Gotham. I don't know why Alfred would let Vicki into the batcave, or why Bruce would see anything in her, or why she would see anything in him. I hate her lack of reaction to Bruce Wayne being Batman.

And my big gripe:
The opening scene depicts two thugs mugging a Father, Mother, and son. The scene is clearly set up to be a parallel to the mudding that happened to a young Bruce Wayne. What does Batman do? He beats up the criminals. How are the father, mother, and son any better off than before Batman came along? They're still afraid to be on the streets of Gotham City, their purse is still gone, and the father is still in medical danger. But don't worry, the criminals were frightened by batman and beaten up. Gee, thanks caped crusader. Long-term, criminals are starting to hear about the batman. But would that provide any consolation to a young Bruce Wayne? Uhh...nope.

Again, this is just my personal opinion, but i wanted to get other people's take on it. I watched the flick a day ago in preparation for The Dark Knight, and felt surprisingly hollow, and felt like I had to remind myself to like and enjoy and root for the film.
Okay, this is your opinion, but however opinions can be null and void when factual events or evidence slaps you right in the face.

Batman didn't willingly go after Joker with a gun, he shot the grappling gun in an attempt to keep his ass on the roof. He never set out to kill Joker, it was never implied that he was going to as far as I remember, he beat the hell out of him on the church, yeah, and he said that he had to stop him but absolutely no indication that he'd kill Joker.

Keaton being hollow...Okay seriously, I hate to divide Batman fans like metalheads, but seriously? Do you need a Nolan to hold your hand through every movie/show/theater performance you see since you've seen Batman Begins? BB is a great movie, yes, but NOT every film after it needs to BE like it. In *MY* opinion, and in "reality" (not Nolans) Bruce Wayne would be emotionally hollow, it's been proven in the comics that he's somewhat unavailable in some emotional aspects, and though we start off following Batman in the 89 film in the alley, I think we get the hint that he's been doing this for quite some time now, not just a couple of weeks.

Keaton by far IS the best live action Batman, did we see him go over to Hong Kong or wherever the hell it was to train for an hour before he dons the Batman persona? Nope. He's an emotionally awkward scarred Bruce Wayne which is EXACTLY how he should be portrayed in the comics but seeing as how DC Comics writers can't write for crap in a consistent manner when it comes to the caped crusader, throw any understanding of psychological value out the window now.

The Joker dancing, being weird, eccentric, OFF HIS FREAKING ROCKER?! Why so serious? ...I mean, are you serious? Have you read the comic books? He does weird things, like I dunno, shoot Jim Gordon's daughter through the stomach and into (past?) the spine, paralyzing her and WHILE she crashes down on the coffee table, he makes sick jokes about coffee table books having weak spines. I mean c'mon now...

And ALTHOUGH every other Batman obsessed fanatic has a problem with Alfred letting Vicki Vale into the Batcave, how about we all pay attention to what Bruce Wayne's only living parent said earlier:

That he has no need to spend the rest of his remaining years grieving for the loss of loved ones, or their sons.

That man, is THE BEST Alfred because he puts Bruce in his place and reminds him to stop being so obsessed with Batman, or spending so much time in the cave brooding. I view the Vicki Vale issue not bad, a violation of Bruce and Alfred's trust? Yes. Alfred's one last attempt to show Bruce that he can have a sense of normalcy in his life? You betcha.

This is the problem I have with the boards (I'm not *****ing, mind you) is that to me DC Comics completely alienates their fans by not showing the true complexity that is Batman and thus we have posts like this one, while not ignorant, or useless, however it makes no sense because to me minus the fact The Joker was a criminal before being scarred by chemicals is the best Batman film ever.

BatFan1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #53
raider34r
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
...yeah the Spidey trilogy as a whole didn't live up to it's potential.

wow, somebody feels the same way as i do

raider34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #54
Nathan Petrelli
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMICFILMEXPERT View Post
But according to you, a story that takes place with Bruce prior to becoming Batman requires absolute explination of every single minut detail.

I'm just using "Year One" to point out that that's not the case at all. I don't need to be handed a step-by-step manual on "How to Be Batman" to enjoy watching Batman kick ass, drive a fast car, look like a bat and protect a metropolitian city.

"Begins" seems to forget one very strong aspect of the Batman character...his sense of mystery; his privacy. There's something far more exciting about not knowing how exactly Bruce came to construct the suit or the car. A "Less is More" situation...

If I'm paying money to go see a "Batman" movie, I'm not paying to watch a 30 minute tutorial on the uses of a utility belt...I'm paying it to watch a guy dressed as a giant terrifying bat beat the snot out of a homicidal clown.

But I DO have a feeling that, with the origin out of the way, "TDK" will be a little bit better about not going on long diatribes when they aren't needed like in "Begins."

However, thanks to the over-analization presented in "Begins," Bale's Batman will NEVER have the sense of awe and mystery that Keaton's Batman did.

And with THAT said, I stand on my belief that "Begins" is in actuality a tad more overrated than "B89."

CFE
The point of Batman Begins was to show us who Bruce Wayne was before Batman and what he went through with his obsession to stop crime. Not only did it show us his training, but it also showed us a more in depth look a Bruce Wayne and who Batman is. By saying you want Batman to be all mysterious is basically saying you want Batman to be an empty character that we cannot feel for. If we didn't see Bruce's training, we would have just though. "Oh ok, this kid is pissed that his parents got killed and now he is a giant Bat". Not "Oh ok, this kid is pissed that his parents killed so he traveled the world studying criminals, found a league of ninjas who destroy cities that are plagued with crime and he uses theatrics to scare criminals straight".

And as Mandalore said. Nolan made it clear so many times that he wanted to show everyone how Bruce Wayne became Batman.

It's a Bruce Wayne story as much as a Batman one.

Nathan Petrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #55
BatFan1986
Side-Kick

Well you know, they should have picked up a better cast all the way around, as well as a different director.

As I recall, the Spider-Man comics I had had webhead being a sarcastic ass inside of his suit and a doofus outside of it.

Not a whiny heartbroken loser who speaks out of the side of his mouth while apparently going through puberty as his voice has more crack in it than Kim Kardashian's butt.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #56
co2
Side-Kick

I would still inlcude it on my personal list of the best comic book movies ever, but there might be something to it being over-rated. I remember the summer of '89 and it was Bat-crazy! No movie could honestly live up to the amount of public hype it generated. So from that standpoint, yeah it maybe was over-rated at the time.

co2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #57
Man Who Laughed
I'm nobody, really.

To BatFan: Wow. Thanks for reminding me of that line that Alfred has. I still like Sir Michael Caine a bit more, b/c he seems more fatherly. Michael Gough's Alfred seemed too cold to be Bruce's father figure, but maybe that's why Keaton was playing him so detached...

To Nathan Petrelli: While I would have been dealing in absolutes earlier, you're on to something with the "less is more." Although, I don't *want* to go to the movies and just watch a filmed comic book. I want to see interpretation. That's what I love about Bats. He's probably the least well-defined of the well known heroes, and easiest to reinterpret.(sp?)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
GOONGALA!!!
Man Who Laughed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:43 AM   #58
omerhead
Banned User

I think B89 and BF had a little influence on the Spiderman films.

Spiderman: Green Goblin kidnaps Mary Jane to lure Spiderman just like the Joker kidnaps Vicki Vale to lure Batman, Mary Jane kisses Peter Parker and Spiderman and finds out he's Spiderman just like in Batman Forever.

Spiderman 2: He gives up on being Spiderman also in Batman Forever Bruce Wayne gives up being Batman.

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #59
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Batman didn't willingly go after Joker with a gun, he shot the grappling gun in an attempt to keep his ass on the roof. He never set out to kill Joker, it was never implied that he was going to as far as I remember, he beat the hell out of him on the church, yeah, and he said that he had to stop him but absolutely no indication that he'd kill Joker.
He very much wanted to kill him. He says "I'm going to kill you!" when he's got him by the lapel. However, you can't say that Batman knew using his bola on The Joker would lead to The Joker's death. Batman couldn't possibly have known that the stone gargoyle would come loose like that, and that The Joker would be stupid enough to hang onto the ladder.

Quote:
Keaton being hollow...
I don't even know what this means. If you can't figure out Bruce Wayne's motivations and emotional state by the end of BATMAN, you're just not watching the movie. And if we're talking him being emotionally unavailable, that's simply not the case either. There are several scenes where Keaton gives some of the most emotional and immediate performances of the franchise in BATMAN. The dinner scene alone shows more "humanity" to him than most Batman actors had.

Quote:
Keaton by far IS the best live action Batman, did we see him go over to Hong Kong or wherever the hell it was to train for an hour before he dons the Batman persona? Nope. He's an emotionally awkward scarred Bruce Wayne which is EXACTLY how he should be portrayed in the comics but seeing as how DC Comics writers can't write for crap in a consistent manner when it comes to the caped crusader, throw any understanding of psychological value out the window now.
He wasn't THAT emotionally awkward. People see him "forget" he's Bruce Wayne or Batman and go "He must be socially awkward". That's just not the case. The man may have been a tiny bit absentminded about his day to day affairs (like the comic book Wayne), but he was not that awkward, if at all.

[quote]The Joker dancing, being weird, eccentric, OFF HIS FREAKING ROCKER?! Why so serious? ...I mean, are you serious? Have you read the comic books?[quote]

Agreed. It's obvious that some here simply have a problem with the Joker being too "comic book". I can't wait to see Heath Ledger's Joker get a pass for that element when he ends up doing very similarly "odd" things.

Quote:
And ALTHOUGH every other Batman obsessed fanatic has a problem with Alfred letting Vicki Vale into the Batcave...
It's just not that big a deal. It's not like Alfred told Vicki Bruce was Batman. She figured it out on her own.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #60
Paste Pot Pete
No, I build a rocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatFan1986 View Post
Actually, he obviously tried to kill him a couple times.

He blew up Axis Chemicals (and every goon inside), and you can assume he thought Joker was inside too.

But if that's not enough for you, he aims his Batwing machine guns and missiles DIRECTLY at the Joker.

Then, confronting him in the tower, he says "I'm going to kill you" - before punching him right off the rooftop. Had Joker not held on, he'd have been dead right then.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #61
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Petrelli View Post
The majority of people who have seen Batman Begins would have not read the comics before. .
The majority of people who have seen the Adam West TV show, any of the four Burton/Schumacher movies, the animated series, The Batman, etc etc would not have read the comics before.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #62
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paste Pot Pete View Post

He blew up Axis Chemicals (and every goon inside), and you can assume he thought Joker was inside too.

But if that's not enough for you, he aims his Batwing machine guns and missiles DIRECTLY at the Joker.

Then, confronting him in the tower, he says "I'm going to kill you" - before punching him right off the rooftop. Had Joker not held on, he'd have been dead right then.
Killing Joker is the best thing Batman could have done. That way he's saving a number of future victims. In Burton's movies, Gotham is so corrupt that jail might not be an option; Grissom was a dangerous mobster and a killer and he was always a free man.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #63
Mr. Socko
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hear me out. I'm not trying to hate on the movie; I appreciate the things that it did for the Batman Franchise (for the better) and what it means to people. Visually it kicks major ass, Elfman's score still gives me goosebumps, and Jack Nicholson has fun as the joker.

Please, before you flame me, please keep in mind that this is my own personal opinion. OK.

But here's my other feeling on the film, and there are quotes from other people in here. I can't stand Keaton's hollow performance and lack of chemistry with the also hollow Kim Bassinger. (who was only in the film because of her relationship with Jon "Giant Spider" Peters) I hate the idea that Batman exists solely out of revenge for his parents, or that he would be willing to kill the joker with a gun. I hate the lack of any reason to care about any of the characters, I hate the lack of any connection between the moment where Bruce Wayne's parents are shot and Bruce Wayne becoming Batman, I hate the lack of any explanation as to how the Joker's Goons got on top of the church tower, I hate the way one shot from a six-shooter that has inexplicably been hidden in the joker's pant leg can destroy the frickin' bat-plane. I hate the poor characterization of Batman. The goddamn prince songs, to this day, make the film teeth-grittingly dated and unwatchable, as are the sequences of the Joker dancing like a moron to them. I don't know why the Joker feels the necessity to create an ant-batman PR campaign as if he has something to gain by the public hating batman, like they're running for mayor of Gotham. I don't know why Alfred would let Vicki into the batcave, or why Bruce would see anything in her, or why she would see anything in him. I hate her lack of reaction to Bruce Wayne being Batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paste Pot Pete View Post

Yes, it's rather unanimous that this Batman was a killer and it was in his best interests to wipe out the Joker and his goons. I've only skimmed the last two pages but are people arguing over whether Batman killed or not...

Old 07-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #64
the_monk
Side-Kick

I don't know if "over-rated" is quite the correct term for how I feel about it. It certainly has its place in Batman movie history, and is a huge step above most of the other films.

However, it's not totally my cup of tea. Nicholson is kind of just "Nicholson" and most of the movie feels a bit "stiff", as if to mimic the difficulty Keaton had moving in the suit. He has to scissor his whole body to actually complete a kick. I mean, people complain about the action in Batman Begins...

Some of it is good though, such as the Joker digging Vicki Vale's war photography.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #65
Mr. Socko
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hole Shot View Post
I'm a fan of 89', I do like Begins more but can enjoy both films at any time. The one thing I'll give to the OP on is that Batman did try to take out Joker by opening fire on him.
Oh, I am aware that most do prefer Batman Begins. I've got no problem with whatever anyone prefers, even if it's Batman & Robin. It's just nonsensical that I go over to the TDK board and even this board and every thread I open contains numerous "I hate hate hate" posts about everything Tim Burton's Batman films consists of. And now several threads dedicated to it to boot.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #66
BatFan1986
Side-Kick

Haha I thought that Batman did say "I'm going to kill you" to Joker but couldn't quite remember it.

What I mean by being emotionally unavailable is that, in BR you see that he can't really be in a relationship with someone who hasn't been there from the very beginning, you know what I mean? I mean this by being in this film, not so much a relation towards the comics, even then Bruce has a slew of problems.

Yes he can interact, but otherwise he's way too concerned with avenging his parents. Which is to be expected, I mean even in the comics his every move and breath as Batman is to make sure the death of Thomas and Martha Wayne never happens again.

I never thought the blowing up of Axis chemicals was to kill any goons or the Joker, actually I thought it was to send a message, as well as destroy any remaining chemical poisons Joker had left over.

I dunno, it's hard for me to really evaluate all of Bat's motives in this movie because of it's really weird continuities, because I think of something like in Hush where Batman flips the hell out and beats the Joker unconscious and is trying to kill him and Gordon has to scream at him to back off (as well fire shots at him). So, who knows if he really was going to kill him...I'd say in the long run with you guys posts, haha oh yeah, Batman was going for the kill.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #67
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

I'm all for Burton's Batman killing people. He's the most unstable version of the character, he treads a very thin line between being a crime-fighter and a vengeance-driven lunatic. No-one wants to see him killing bad guys all over the place, but occasionally going too far just illustrates the fact that he is a very morally dubious character.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #68
Bat Attack
Mirth

LOL, overrated? OVERRATED?! Haha! Thanks for the laugh. It's the most bashed movie by acne covered fanboys right now because of the TDK, if anything it's the most UNDERRATED movie ever! Haha, thats why I hate these fourms now, all the new members are idiots. haha. oh well. miss the good old days of 2005 and 2006, back when you could actually have a conversation that was worthwhile on here.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #69
Nathan Petrelli
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Attack View Post
LOL, overrated? OVERRATED?! Haha! Thanks for the laugh. It's the most bashed movie by acne covered fanboys right now because of the TDK, if anything it's the most UNDERRATED movie ever! Haha, thats why I hate these fourms now, all the new members are idiots. haha. oh well. miss the good old days of 2005 and 2006, back when you could actually have a conversation that was worthwhile on here.
Because 2005 is SOOOOO old school.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #70
CFE
This is a job for...

After reading the OP again, I decided to take a crack at it:

Quote:
I can't stand Keaton's hollow performance.
Keaton was the most psychologically driven and empathetic live action Batman. As someone's sig suggests Bale might have played Batman...but Keaton WAS Batman.

Quote:
And lack of chemistry with the also hollow Kim Bassinger. (who was only in the film because of her relationship with Jon "Giant Spider" Peters).
1: It's BASINGER
2: Kim was in the film because following Sean Young's accident, she was available. Then as a pleasant surprise, she pulled off a decent performance on short notice.
3: Don't make a Kevin Smith/Superman Lives reference. It's tacky.

Quote:
I hate the idea that Batman exists solely out of revenge for his parents, or that he would be willing to kill the joker with a gun.
Batman DOES exist out of revenge for his parents! As for the murder, that's how it was in 1939, and you obviously had to have known that portion of the mythology was the primary inspiration for the film.

Quote:
I hate the lack of any reason to care about any of the characters
I suppose it's all a matter of opinion. Though for the record I cheered on for Keaton's Batman to succeed more than I ever did for Kilmer or Clooney.

Quote:
I hate the lack of any connection between the moment where Bruce Wayne's parents are shot and Bruce Wayne becoming Batman
Again...How it was in '39.

Quote:
I hate the lack of any explanation as to how the Joker's Goons got on top of the church tower
It's a movie. From the moment Bruce 'goes to work' to the moment where Batman saves Vicki and himself from plummeting to their deaths...you should be doing absolutely NOTHING but being entertained. As opposed to "Begins" which, for reasons that escape me, insisted on cutting away from the climax every so often to remind me (by remind me, I mean hit me over the head) with Ras' evil plan of 'blowing the water supply.'

Quote:
I hate the way one shot from a six-shooter that has inexplicably been hidden in the joker's pant leg can destroy the frickin' bat-plane.
Again...It's a movie. And it's called the Batwing...please keep the terminology correct.

Quote:
I hate the poor characterization of Batman.
See the first response of this post.

Quote:
The goddamn prince songs, to this day, make the film teeth-grittingly dated and unwatchable, as are the sequences of the Joker dancing like a moron to them.
There's an aspect to the Joker's character that always acts like a fool in public. Especially since Jack's idea of the character was that of him being mentally "short-wired" following the chemical bath at Axis. I mean the scene was essentially Joker killing every patron in an Art Museum (sans Vale) with toxic gas, then SPASTICALLY DANCING AROUND THEIR CORPSES to boistrous Pop Music while vandilizing the Art. If that doesn't scream Joker, I don't know what the hell does.

And Prince's songs rocked...If you're gonna nitpick about THAT, of all things, don't bother...

Quote:
I don't know why the Joker feels the necessity to create an ant-batman PR campaign as if he has something to gain by the public hating batman, like they're running for mayor of Gotham.
An Anti-Batman PR Campaign? The Joker making Batman look bad to the public?

Huh...sounds an awful lot like an aspect of what the Joker's doing in "TDK" as well doesn't it...

-----

I didn't bother with the rest. Both El Payaso and Kevin have pointed out on numerous occasions the logic behind Alfred revealing Bruce's identity to Vicki in an effort to emotionally save him.

And the last arguement was garbage, so THAT was entirely ignored.

CFE

Chas Blankenship's "BAT-MANIA - The Exhibition Blog" -- Chas Blankenship's "SUPER-MANIA - The Exhibition Blog" - Coming Soon
CFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:24 AM   #71
xero1186
Side-Kick

Quote:
So explain to me how in "Batman: Year One" Bruce goes from bleeding in his father's study to attacking three punks in the full-on Batsuit...I mean Bruce was starting up as Batman THEN as well as in "Begins". Why didn't Miller explain the suit to us?

Believe me I DO understand...completely.

CFE
Because Miller wrote Batman: Year One to talk about his "First YEAR" as Batman. Batman Begins is his ascension to becoming Batman. Year One only shows 14 pages of Bruce as he comes back to Gotham, fighting some thugs, bleeding in the study and then BAM next page he's Batman. Batman Begins isn't Batman Year One, and it wasn't trying to be. I DO think it was used as a nice reference point for the character's development.

There are a lot more things wrong with the 89 Batman over the Begins Batman but as many have said, and I agree, without it we wouldn't be where we are as it is another level of Batman's growing lore over the last almost 75 years.

Last edited by xero1186; 07-05-2008 at 12:38 AM.
xero1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #72
xero1186
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
Yes, Batman's origin has been told plenty of times over seventy years. This is the first time anyone has felt the need to explain the Batmobile.
It was actually explained in the animated series.

+ I agree with the person who said it's a Bruce Wayne movie as well as a Batman movie. That's what made it so great for me.

They could've done a whole film without him actually becoming Batman and show some of the training he had before he met Ras and I would've been satisfied.

But I digress, the real point is this;

89 Batman and Begins Batman are very different and to compare the two of them to each other is looking at it all in the wrong way. They're movies from two very different decades. A lot has changed in Batman's lore in the period between the two films. If one or the other doesn't entertain you then don't watch. But don't come on here trying to lord your opinion over people that have strong nostalgic ties to the 89 rendition of the character and expect everyone to just start Burton-bashing.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:55 AM   #73
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_monk View Post
However, it's not totally my cup of tea. Nicholson is kind of just "Nicholson" and most of the movie feels a bit "stiff", as if to mimic the difficulty Keaton had moving in the suit. He has to scissor his whole body to actually complete a kick. I mean, people complain about the action in Batman Begins...
Yes. In fact any action movie looks better than blurry random shots glued together.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:36 AM   #74
Nathan Petrelli
Banned User

Quote:
Keaton was the most psychologically driven and empathetic live action Batman. As someone's sig suggests Bale might have played Batman...but Keaton WAS Batman.
I suggest you watch a different Keaton movie besides Batman. Your opinion on him being the most "psychologically driven and empathetic live action Batman" will change after you realize he acts in the same style each and every movie he is in..

Old 07-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #75
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Petrelli View Post
I suggest you watch a different Keaton movie besides Batman. Your opinion on him being the most "psychologically driven and empathetic live action Batman" will change after you realize he acts in the same style each and every movie he is in..

Naturally, it's hard to tell the difference between Batman and Multiplicity.