The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #376
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal
 
theMan-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 3,308
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerhead View Post
In the Bob Kane Batman comic books, he killed sometimes but because he had no choice
He had a choice, Batman could have hit them with his gas capsules that would have put them to sleep (which he would do occasionally), but he also coldly killed criminals. Here's Batman killing Dr. Death's assistant Mikhal in Detective Comics #30:

Batman killed in just about every issue. Just read the Batman Chronicles. Batman killed in Detective #27, 28, 29, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 37 and Batman #1, and that's just in Batman Chronicles volume one.

__________________
Half-man, half-bat.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package.


FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #377
The Navigator
Punch Punch Punch
 
The Navigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mountains of Madness
Posts: 15,539
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Best kill ever.

__________________
The Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #378
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal
 
theMan-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 3,308
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerhead View Post
I don't think the Catwoman in Batman Returns was true to the comic books.
She is. Catwoman's origin in Batman Returns is true to her original Golden Age origin in which she was introverted, then survived a crash, but suffered from amnesia. Thereafter she became Catwoman by releasing her formerly repressed inner-self, and all her inhibitions. The version of Catwoman's origin involving the crash (a death and resurrection motif) and amnesia has more depth. This origin suggests that Kyle had a dual personality, and that her amnesia released her dark side, leading her not only to turn criminal, but to heighten her sexuality.

__________________
Half-man, half-bat.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package.


FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #379
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

I don't like Frank Millers portrayal of Batman but I really like Dennis 'O Neil, Bob Kane and Jeph Loeb's portrayal of Batman. B89 was a little bit gothic and Batman Returns was all out gothic, also screenwriter of both films were different.

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:25 AM   #380
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post
He had a choice, Batman could have hit them with his gas capsules that would have put them to sleep (which he would do occasionally), but he also coldly killed criminals. Here's Batman killing Dr. Death's assistant Mikhal in Detective Comics #30:

Batman killed in just about every issue. Just read the Batman Chronicles. Batman killed in Detective #27, 28, 29, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 37 and Batman #1, and that's just in Batman Chronicles volume one.
If Batman didn't kill him, Mikhal would have killed Batman in a second.

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:28 AM   #381
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuinn View Post
It was also because he basically made her Batman and Bruce's equal counterpart. If she was just a thief...then what would that duality romance revolve around?
Because his Batman was a little more twisted, so was his Catwoman.
I think it was phenomenal and I hold Returns pretty high on the "coolest Batman things list".
I don't really like the twisted Batman either.

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:32 AM   #382
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight90! View Post
That makes no sense to me.

I know if I was making a movie... creating/adapting a character who was 'simply a thief in a catsuit'... wouldn't get me creatively excited one bit.


Burton turned Catwoman into a multi-layered and tragically twisted character and she is the better for it. I actually think it was his greatest contribution to the batman franchise generally.
Doesn't that make the Batman Returns Catwoman a Two-Face wannabe.

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:18 AM   #383
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal
 
theMan-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 3,308
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerhead View Post
If Batman didn't kill him, Mikhal would have killed Batman in a second.
There are several ways Batman could have taken Mikhal down without killing him, Batman could have knocked him out with a Batarang.

__________________
Half-man, half-bat.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package.


FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #384
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post
She is. Catwoman's origin in Batman Returns is true to her original Golden Age origin in which she was introverted, then survived a crash, but suffered from amnesia. Thereafter she became Catwoman by releasing her formerly repressed inner-self, and all her inhibitions. The version of Catwoman's origin involving the crash (a death and resurrection motif) and amnesia has more depth. This origin suggests that Kyle had a dual personality, and that her amnesia released her dark side, leading her not only to turn criminal, but to heighten her sexuality.
I found the original Catwoman comic book origin on www.dcdatabase.com

here's the Catwoman origin that was written on the dcdatabase.

Selina Kyle's early life was defined by tragedy. When she was just a girl, her brutalized mother Maria committed suicide and her violent father Brian drank himself to death not long after. Separated from her younger sister Magdalena and remanded to the Sprang Hall Juvenile Detention Center, an abusive state home for orphaned or delinquent girls, she opted instead to take her chances on the streets of Gotham City. Amid the crime and corruption of the poverty-stricken East End district, she survived through petty theft. Sharp wits and an amazing natural skill as a gymnast led to her becoming the slickest cat burglar the Gotham City Police Department had ever dealt with. To protect herself, she studied martial arts. Later ex-heavyweight champ Ted Grant (Wildcat) taught her boxing. For a time, she was the most accomplished thief nobody knew. She was also one of the most generous, spreading her ill-gotten gains among the downtrodden and destitute of the East End. She would have continued to rob with impunity if not for the Batman. Spying the Caped Crusader from her window on one of his first outings, she watched him in action and was suitably inspired to take up her own costume when prowling the Gotham night.

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #385
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal
 
theMan-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 3,308
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerhead View Post
I found the original Catwoman comic book origin on www.dcdatabase.com

here's the Catwoman origin that was written on the dcdatabase.

Selina Kyle's early life was defined by tragedy. When she was just a girl, her brutalized mother Maria committed suicide and her violent father Brian drank himself to death not long after. Separated from her younger sister Magdalena and remanded to the Sprang Hall Juvenile Detention Center, an abusive state home for orphaned or delinquent girls, she opted instead to take her chances on the streets of Gotham City. Amid the crime and corruption of the poverty-stricken East End district, she survived through petty theft. Sharp wits and an amazing natural skill as a gymnast led to her becoming the slickest cat burglar the Gotham City Police Department had ever dealt with. To protect herself, she studied martial arts. Later ex-heavyweight champ Ted Grant (Wildcat) taught her boxing. For a time, she was the most accomplished thief nobody knew. She was also one of the most generous, spreading her ill-gotten gains among the downtrodden and destitute of the East End. She would have continued to rob with impunity if not for the Batman. Spying the Caped Crusader from her window on one of his first outings, she watched him in action and was suitably inspired to take up her own costume when prowling the Gotham night.
That is not the original Golden Age Catwoman origin by creator Bill Finger from Batman #62 (1950). That's a Modern Age version by Doug Moench from Catwoman #0 (1994).

__________________
Half-man, half-bat.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package.


FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 07-03-2008 at 06:52 AM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #386
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post
That is not the original Golden Age Catwoman origin by creator Bill Finger from Batman #62 (1950). That's a Modern Age version by Doug Moench from Catwoman #0 (1994).
I didn't know that, I'll just research Batman #62.

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #387
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

I think Nolan can do a better job at tweaking the golden age origin than Burton did, Burton put too much emphasis on making it dark than realism.

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 AM   #388
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal
 
theMan-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 3,308
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerhead View Post
I think Nolan can do a better job at tweaking the golden age origin than Burton did, Burton put too much emphasis on making it dark than realism.
Nolan puts too much emphasis on trying to make the comic book characters more realistic. Nolan would decide that amnesia is not realistic enough. She would just be a woman seeking thrills. That's a symptom of Nolan's "everything must be grounded" approach. Batman's world is grounded enough and trying to ground it even more can be detrimental to the characters. Burton's approach was the "not likely, but possible" approach, which is the same approach in Batman comic books.

__________________
Half-man, half-bat.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package.


FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #389
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

I just don't like Burton's vision on comic book characters in my opinion, and I think you're exaggerating Nolan's realistic approach.

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #390
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal
 
theMan-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 3,308
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerhead View Post
I just don't like Burton's vision on comic book characters in my opinion,
Fair enough. I understand that Tim Burton's version is not geared to everyone's taste.

Quote:
and I think you're exaggerating Nolan's realistic approach.
I don't think so. I really can't see Nolan keeping Selina's amnesiac origin in his version.

__________________
Half-man, half-bat.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package.


FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 07-03-2008 at 08:57 AM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #391
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Amnesia rarely happens in reality, Nolan might use it.

Check out the wikipedia page for amnesia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesia

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #392
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal
 
theMan-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 3,308
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerhead View Post
Amnesia rarely happens in reality, Nolan might use it.

Check out the wikipedia page for amnesia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesia
I'm aware of that, I doubt Nolan will use it because it rarely happens to people.

__________________
Half-man, half-bat.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package.


FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #393
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Even though it happens rarely, but it's still realistic. some weird things do occur in reality.


Last edited by omerhead; 07-03-2008 at 09:14 AM.
omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #394
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal
 
theMan-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 3,308
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerhead View Post
But it does happen.
Rarely. That's Burton's "not likely, but possible" approach. As with Joker, Nolan would want to distinguish his Catwoman from Burton's as much as possible.

__________________
Half-man, half-bat.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package.


FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:23 AM   #395
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Besides the duality origin tweak, cat licks & team up with the Penguin there was nothing else wrong with the Batman Returns Catwoman.

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:34 AM   #396
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Also in the whole film I felt all the major characters were just playing a game, Penguin tried to kill Batman, Max Shrek & Catwoman, Batman tried to kill Penguin & Catwoman, Catwoman tried kill Max Shrek and wanted revenge from Batman by teaming up with the Penguin and got betrayed by Penguin. What the hell is that all about, does that happen in comic books.

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #397
MrQuinn
a dark passenger
 
MrQuinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 575
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerhead View Post
Also in the whole film I felt all the major characters were just playing a game, Penguin tried to kill Batman, Max Shrek & Catwoman, Batman tried to kill Penguin & Catwoman, Catwoman tried kill Max Shrek and wanted revenge from Batman by teaming up with the Penguin and got betrayed by Penguin. What the hell is that all about, does that happen in comic books.

It's called...... "plot".

MrQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #398
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,336
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
She is. Catwoman's origin in Batman Returns is true to her original Golden Age origin in which she was introverted, then survived a crash, but suffered from amnesia. Thereafter she became Catwoman by releasing her formerly repressed inner-self, and all her inhibitions. The version of Catwoman's origin involving the crash (a death and resurrection motif) and amnesia has more depth. This origin suggests that Kyle had a dual personality, and that her amnesia released her dark side, leading her not only to turn criminal, but to heighten her sexuality.
It definitely has faithful elements to it. In later versions of the amnesia origin, she was also abused (as Selina was by Shreck).

Quote:
I found the original Catwoman comic book origin on www.dcdatabase.com
As someone has already pointed out...that origin came after the BATMAN RETURNS one. The BATMAN RETURNS one is based on the Golden/Silver age origins. The one you're referring to is more along the lines of the Catwoman Frank Miller started creating, but he never got that far into it. The version you speak of, like the mob boss Penguin, didn't even exist for two years after BATMAN RETURNS, and certainly wasn't around when RETURNS was being conceived circa 1990/1991.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #399
omerhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 177
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

I don't like Frank Miller and Tim Burton's take on the Batman universe. I prefer Bob Kane, Bill Finger, Dennis 'O Neil, Neal Adams, Christopher Nolan, Jeph Loeb and Steve Englehart's take on it.

omerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #400
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

That's nothing BR got "wrong" though.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.