The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

Old 07-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #26
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Default Re: How many people would like a movie based on John Byrne's The Man of Steel miniser

I`d love to see a movie that mixes Man of Steel and Superman for all seasons...

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #27
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Default Re: How many people would like a movie based on John Byrne's The Man of Steel miniser

HELL YEAH I WANT BYRNE'S 'MAN OF STEEL'. It's hand's down the best version ... and I've been reading comics a LOOOONG time. It would be incredibly cinematic as an origin story. They could just add a major conflict when he takes on the mantle of Superman to round it out. I'm thinking Darksied, Brainiac, or even Metallo.

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #28
Dr. Fate
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler View Post
HELL YEAH I WANT BYRNE'S 'MAN OF STEEL'. It's hand's down the best version ... and I've been reading comics a LOOOONG time. It would be incredibly cinematic as an origin story. They could just add a major conflict when he takes on the mantle of Superman to round it out. I'm thinking Darksied, Brainiac, or even Metallo.
Anything that does not revolve around a bastard son and/or a giant island of Kryptonite.

Dr. Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #29
That'ssuper!
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fate View Post
Anything that does not revolve around a bastard son and/or a giant island of Kryptonite.
Ditto. Plus it's a good storyline to follow for a film.

That'ssuper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:25 AM   #30
dpm07
Hiking Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fate View Post
I definitely agree.

Sadly, we are likely in for more of the same with Singer at the helm, and Harris and Daugherty writing the script.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:10 PM   #31
Kal-El Fan
Side-Kick

MOS is my favorite version in total, but (as others have said) I would prefer a combo that gives the writers/director some creative freedom.

I would take the pieces from each that I feel worked the best:

IMO, MOS did the best job in explaining why Kryptonians could not evacuate (though other interpretations do work). I also like the MOS version of Clark.

The best part of Birthright, was Clark's teenage years. By the time he becomes Superman, it quickly falls apart. Though, I like the idea of Lex and Clark being childhood friends, I think it would be hard to do in a movie.

The animated series also had many good elements, including Brainiac's Kryptonian origin.

Of course, the original movies were very good, and is the version many people know. I also really like the idea of Krypton having crystal-based technology.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Kal-El Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:18 PM   #32
Kal-El Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanology View Post
Actually LOIS AND CLARK was based on Byrne's version of Superman. I much prefer the Donner-verse to Byrne's revamp.
Unfortunately, it is not a good example of the Byrne era Superman.
It suffered from a poorly cast Superman and bad stories, epecially in the later seasons. On the other hand, Terri Hatcher was a great Lois Lane and the casting for Perry White and the Kents was spot on! Dean Cain was a decent Clark, he just wasn't Superman.

Kal-El Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #33
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Storywise is still the best interpretation of Superman, his supporting characters and the relationship of Lois & Clark, IMO.

And Teri Hatcher and Lane Smith are the best Lois and Perry, of course.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #34
The Empire Ape
Banned User

I'm not a Byrne hater, but I don't like his Superman at all.

He is more Spider-Super-Man and it's sooo 80s. Dystopian Krypton, Clark Kent the real person.. meh...

The Empire Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:09 AM   #35
Ultraman Nexus
Side-Kick

Byrnes whacked dystopia vision of Krypton and then Superman's dismissal of his alien heritage combined with the idea of the Superman aspect of the character just being the costume kill it for me.

I understand where a lot of the writers are coming from but I think really anytime writers take that real strict either/or stance..."he's Clark first Superman's just a suit, NO he's Kal-El first he's a stranger among us" stance I think it hurts the character in the long run because you're chopping him up and throwing away a chunk of him.

It all counts. All of it. Superman is more than a cape, Clark is more than a pair of glasses. The Kryptonian heritage and the Kansas upbringing all make up who he is. They are all aspects of one man born with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortals who has made the conscious decision to use them to help (or as is often the case, defend) humanity. Not out of being a naieve country boy or because he's cosmic Jesus. But because the pursuit of truth and justice mean something to him. As a reporter he can find the truth and as Superman he can avert disaster and fight for justice.

Ultraman Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #36
batman44
Go Speed GO

I'll definitely take a movie based on the world of Byrne's MOS.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #37
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Take the best from Byrne's and mix it up with Birthright and you got yourself a winner.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #38
Stallion9979
The Icon

i think either Byrne's MOS or just giving a 5-7 year gap between Smallville and a movie would be incredible

Stallion9979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #39
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Give me Byrne's Krypton, Smallville based partially on his version and some on the show of the same name, Clark's young adulthood from Birthright (where he's traveling the world trying to find his place in it), then back to Bryne's Metropolis and how Clark arrives at the costume and identity of Superman. I want Bryne and Wolfman's handling of the supporting cast.

From there, you can have your superplot with any one of the Major antagonists from Superman's rogues gallery.

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 AM   #40
ariellem
ThorII & Doctor Who!

Ha! I came into this thread thinking you wanted a movie based on "Lex Luthor: Man of Steel". If that followed SR directly, SR2 would surely be doomed.

ariellem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 AM   #41
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
I`d love to see a movie that mixes Man of Steel and Superman for all seasons...
I think this is my thought as well.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote