The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Nixon
Side-Kick

Default Making the Man of Steel look good

http://io9.com/5012506/10-hollywood-...-watch-out-for

Reading through that article you can see some fabulously imaginative work from some tremendously talented people, including Superman Returns alum Guy Hendrix Dyas.

I thought Dyas's work on Superman Returns, along with this summer's new Indiana Jones film, was gorgeous. Wonderfully detailed and timeless I think he was a major compenent in making Superman Returns such a good looking film. Of course, your milage may vary when it comes to Dyas and Superman.

That being said, I wonder should Dyas return? Should someone else step up to the plate? And if so, who?

I ask this question regardless of whether or not a sequel will actually be made (for argument's sake let's assume there will be) or whether or not Dyan is actually tied to it (I don't know if he is).

If nothing else, it'll give us a chance to think about something else for a little while.

Last edited by Nixon; 07-15-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
I Am The Knight
In the Welsh

Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
http://io9.com/5012506/10-hollywood-...-watch-out-for

Reading through that article you can see some fabulously imaginative work from some tremendously talented people, including Superman Returns alum Guy Hendrix Dyas.

I thought Dyas's work on Superman Returns, along with this summer's new Indiana Jones film, was gorgeous. Wonderfully detailed and timeless I think he was a major compenent in making Superman Returns such a good looking film. Of course, your milage may vary when it comes to Dyas and Superman.

That being said, I wonder should Dyas return? Should someone else step up to the plate? And if so, who?

I ask this question regardless of whether or not a sequel will actually be made (for argument's sake let's assume there will be) or whether or not Dyan is actually tied to it (I don't know if he is).

If nothing else, it'll give us a chance to think about something else for a little while.
I loved his art deco Metropolis, so I would hire the man right away. I would love to see him do a more "futuristic" Metropolis though. I think MOS should have a more updated look. But I'm absolutely fine with timelessness.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood.
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
charl_huntress
The Offender

edit

It's too dark.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
batman44
Go Speed GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
I loved his art deco Metropolis, so I would hire the man right away. I would love to see him do a more "futuristic" Metropolis though. I think MOS should have a more updated look. But I'm absolutely fine with timelessness.
I too agree with wanting a more futuristic Metropolis, but the look they had for SR was good. Now if the characters could just wear modern clothing.....

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Way too depressing of a look; we need light and bright! Get the guyd from Pirates or star wars

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
AragornKing1
Side-Kick

Hey Excel, has your "boy" heard anything new on the Superman Returns sequel? Like is it really planned to be announced after the release of The Dark Knight?

AragornKing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
Nixon
Side-Kick

This is a friend of mine who I think should be on the art department no matter what.

Here's a link to his stuff:

http://www.marcgabbana.com/default.p...=23&img_id=225

Old 07-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I think Dyas needs to return. I really liked the look of Metropolis because it looked like a city that can be a city placed in our world and fits with Singer's style of having Superman set in our world (like how Nolan did with Batman).

However, I do think it could use a tad bit more of a futuristic style using the excuse that it was added in when fixing the damage Lex caused.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
AragornKing1
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is a friend of mine who I think should be on the art department no matter what.

Here's a link to his stuff:

http://www.marcgabbana.com/default.p...=23&img_id=225

So is this the same friend who told you about the plot points going around about the next Superman movie, Nixon? I guess one of the movies he's worked on was War of the Worlds?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
Nixon
Side-Kick

Yup, one and the same.

As a Star Wars geek I had a fit when I found out about Episodes I and II. Worst part was, because of the way Lucasfilm works, he couldn't really tell me anything until after he was done.

Do you know if there has there been any sort of cooberation of what he told me from anywhere else?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Which info are you talking about?

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
Nixon
Side-Kick

This stuff here: http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=120

Old 07-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
AragornKing1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yup, one and the same.

As a Star Wars geek I had a fit when I found out about Episodes I and II. Worst part was, because of the way Lucasfilm works, he couldn't really tell me anything until after he was done.

Do you know if there has there been any sort of cooberation of what he told me from anywhere else?

Is he working on the Superman Returns Sequel?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
Nixon
Side-Kick

Nope, sorry. It'd be great if he was though.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #15
AragornKing1
Side-Kick

fdgf[quote=Nixon;15292148]Nope, sorry. It'd be great if he was though.[

But is he sure that it is happening?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #16
Nixon
Side-Kick

I'd say he's no more certain than any of us. Sorry. All he's heard were some plot details, and afterall, scripts are written and sit, unfilmed, all the time.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #17
BMM
Side-Kick

I don’t have a problem with Dyas returning. His work is good and is one of the more positive aspects of Returns. I find it funny that people are quick to dismiss Dyas because the sets are “too dark,” as though that’s Dyas’ style, while his work on Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is much more bright, colorful, and upbeat. His sets, like the rest of the movie, match the tone of the director’s color corrected vision. In my opinion, the darkness issue lies with Singer. The only set I feel could use more work is the interior of The Daily Planet.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #18
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

I hope Guy comes back as well.

What are you talking about BMM, the Daily Planet looked amazing. It actually looked like a newspaper building.

I hope we get a look at Clark's apartment in Metropolis.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #19
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

looking at those pictures and seeing the pics of his ship make me really want to see the 10 minutes they cut out of the film and the sub plot of luthor making him leave. Hopefully if a sequel does get made, or if it doesn't they will release it.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #20
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
I hope Guy comes back as well.

What are you talking about BMM, the Daily Planet looked amazing. It actually looked like a newspaper building.

I hope we get a look at Clark's apartment in Metropolis.
I didn’t say The Daily Planet looks bad. I think the interior of the Daily Planet looks very good, but I think there’s room for improvement. I think the atmosphere is a bit docile for a newsroom--it may be more of an issue with overall direction rather than production design. You’ll have to excuse me, as I haven’t watched Returns in quite a while. I don’t think much needs to be changed, but I think a little more life could be injected into the place one way or another.

Last edited by BMM; 07-15-2008 at 11:35 PM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #21
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AragornKing1 View Post
Hey Excel, has your "boy" heard anything new on the Superman Returns sequel? Like is it really planned to be announced after the release of The Dark Knight?
Nope. All he said last time we talked about Superman was a simple W.B. wants Supes in 2010. They wanted him in 2009. So who knows.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #22
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Looks like info from the 1st or 2nd pitch made by Bryan, not sure how much of that would carry over.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #23
Super Kal
Side-Kick

I never want to see Guy return... ever.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #24
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

He is really talented in my opinion, and other studios feel the same.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #25
Nightwing1977
Want to see my mask??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I think Dyas needs to return. I really liked the look of Metropolis because it looked like a city that can be a city placed in our world and fits with Singer's style of having Superman set in our world (like how Nolan did with Batman).

However, I do think it could use a tad bit more of a futuristic style using the excuse that it was added in when fixing the damage Lex caused.
I agree. I love his work on designing the buildings of Daily Planet & others. They really feel like Metropolis, which I felt Donner failed at. He made it too much like NY, where Dyas make it really look like Metropolis. I hope he return as well.