The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Nixon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 472
Default Making the Man of Steel look good

http://io9.com/5012506/10-hollywood-...-watch-out-for


Reading through that article you can see some fabulously imaginative work from some tremendously talented people, including Superman Returns alum Guy Hendrix Dyas.

I thought Dyas's work on Superman Returns, along with this summer's new Indiana Jones film, was gorgeous. Wonderfully detailed and timeless I think he was a major compenent in making Superman Returns such a good looking film. Of course, your milage may vary when it comes to Dyas and Superman.

That being said, I wonder should Dyas return? Should someone else step up to the plate? And if so, who?

I ask this question regardless of whether or not a sequel will actually be made (for argument's sake let's assume there will be) or whether or not Dyan is actually tied to it (I don't know if he is).

If nothing else, it'll give us a chance to think about something else for a little while.


Last edited by Nixon; 07-15-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
I Am The Knight
In the Welsh
 
I Am The Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Bale-Cave
Posts: 11,867
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
http://io9.com/5012506/10-hollywood-...-watch-out-for


Reading through that article you can see some fabulously imaginative work from some tremendously talented people, including Superman Returns alum Guy Hendrix Dyas.

I thought Dyas's work on Superman Returns, along with this summer's new Indiana Jones film, was gorgeous. Wonderfully detailed and timeless I think he was a major compenent in making Superman Returns such a good looking film. Of course, your milage may vary when it comes to Dyas and Superman.

That being said, I wonder should Dyas return? Should someone else step up to the plate? And if so, who?

I ask this question regardless of whether or not a sequel will actually be made (for argument's sake let's assume there will be) or whether or not Dyan is actually tied to it (I don't know if he is).

If nothing else, it'll give us a chance to think about something else for a little while.
I loved his art deco Metropolis, so I would hire the man right away. I would love to see him do a more "futuristic" Metropolis though. I think MOS should have a more updated look. But I'm absolutely fine with timelessness.

__________________
Before SHH, your miserable, insignificant little life was laughable. Now that you've found SHH, have you noticed you've become more popular? Suddenly EVERYONE wants to hang out with you.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood.
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
charl_huntress
The Offender
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 9,162
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good



edit

It's too dark.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
"Domine secundum actum meum noli me iudicare: nihil dignum in conspectu tuo egi. Ideo deprecor maiestatem tuam, ut tu Deus deleas iniquitatem meam."
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
batman44
Go Speed GO
 
batman44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: right here
Posts: 5,673
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
I loved his art deco Metropolis, so I would hire the man right away. I would love to see him do a more "futuristic" Metropolis though. I think MOS should have a more updated look. But I'm absolutely fine with timelessness.
I too agree with wanting a more futuristic Metropolis, but the look they had for SR was good. Now if the characters could just wear modern clothing.....

__________________
<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay
 
Excel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Places
Posts: 19,559
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Way too depressing of a look; we need light and bright! Get the guyd from Pirates or star wars

__________________
If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place, Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
AragornKing1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 474
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Hey Excel, has your "boy" heard anything new on the Superman Returns sequel? Like is it really planned to be announced after the release of The Dark Knight?

AragornKing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
Nixon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 472
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

This is a friend of mine who I think should be on the art department no matter what.

Here's a link to his stuff:

http://www.marcgabbana.com/default.p...=23&img_id=225

Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,074
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

I think Dyas needs to return. I really liked the look of Metropolis because it looked like a city that can be a city placed in our world and fits with Singer's style of having Superman set in our world (like how Nolan did with Batman).

However, I do think it could use a tad bit more of a futuristic style using the excuse that it was added in when fixing the damage Lex caused.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
AragornKing1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 474
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
This is a friend of mine who I think should be on the art department no matter what.

Here's a link to his stuff:

http://www.marcgabbana.com/default.p...=23&img_id=225

So is this the same friend who told you about the plot points going around about the next Superman movie, Nixon? I guess one of the movies he's worked on was War of the Worlds?

AragornKing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
Nixon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 472
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Yup, one and the same.

As a Star Wars geek I had a fit when I found out about Episodes I and II. Worst part was, because of the way Lucasfilm works, he couldn't really tell me anything until after he was done.


Do you know if there has there been any sort of cooberation of what he told me from anywhere else?

Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,363
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Which info are you talking about?

__________________

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
Nixon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 472
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

This stuff here: http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=120

Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
AragornKing1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 474
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
Yup, one and the same.

As a Star Wars geek I had a fit when I found out about Episodes I and II. Worst part was, because of the way Lucasfilm works, he couldn't really tell me anything until after he was done.


Do you know if there has there been any sort of cooberation of what he told me from anywhere else?

Is he working on the Superman Returns Sequel?

AragornKing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
Nixon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 472
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Nope, sorry. It'd be great if he was though.

Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #15
AragornKing1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 474
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

fdgf[quote=Nixon;15292148]Nope, sorry. It'd be great if he was though.[


But is he sure that it is happening?

AragornKing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #16
Nixon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 472
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

I'd say he's no more certain than any of us. Sorry. All he's heard were some plot details, and afterall, scripts are written and sit, unfilmed, all the time.

Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #17
BMM
Side-Kick
 
BMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,160
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

I don’t have a problem with Dyas returning. His work is good and is one of the more positive aspects of Returns. I find it funny that people are quick to dismiss Dyas because the sets are “too dark,” as though that’s Dyas’ style, while his work on Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is much more bright, colorful, and upbeat. His sets, like the rest of the movie, match the tone of the director’s color corrected vision. In my opinion, the darkness issue lies with Singer. The only set I feel could use more work is the interior of The Daily Planet.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #18
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever
 
TheComicbookKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In My Supersonic Rocketship
Posts: 8,870
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

I hope Guy comes back as well.

What are you talking about BMM, the Daily Planet looked amazing. It actually looked like a newspaper building.

I hope we get a look at Clark's apartment in Metropolis.

__________________
"Tampa isn't a place you go. It's a place you end up"-Dave
TheComicbookKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #19
solidsnake86
Side-Kick
 
solidsnake86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,047
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

looking at those pictures and seeing the pics of his ship make me really want to see the 10 minutes they cut out of the film and the sub plot of luthor making him leave. Hopefully if a sequel does get made, or if it doesn't they will release it.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #20
BMM
Side-Kick
 
BMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,160
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
I hope Guy comes back as well.

What are you talking about BMM, the Daily Planet looked amazing. It actually looked like a newspaper building.

I hope we get a look at Clark's apartment in Metropolis.
I didn’t say The Daily Planet looks bad. I think the interior of the Daily Planet looks very good, but I think there’s room for improvement. I think the atmosphere is a bit docile for a newsroom--it may be more of an issue with overall direction rather than production design. You’ll have to excuse me, as I haven’t watched Returns in quite a while. I don’t think much needs to be changed, but I think a little more life could be injected into the place one way or another.


Last edited by BMM; 07-15-2008 at 11:35 PM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #21
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay
 
Excel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Places
Posts: 19,559
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by AragornKing1 View Post
Hey Excel, has your "boy" heard anything new on the Superman Returns sequel? Like is it really planned to be announced after the release of The Dark Knight?
Nope. All he said last time we talked about Superman was a simple W.B. wants Supes in 2010. They wanted him in 2009. So who knows.

__________________
If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place, Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #22
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,363
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
Looks like info from the 1st or 2nd pitch made by Bryan, not sure how much of that would carry over.

__________________

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #23
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,657
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

I never want to see Guy return... ever.

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #24
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,363
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

He is really talented in my opinion, and other studios feel the same.

__________________

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #25
Nightwing1977
Want to see my mask??
 
Nightwing1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 5,851
Default Re: Making the Man of Steel look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I think Dyas needs to return. I really liked the look of Metropolis because it looked like a city that can be a city placed in our world and fits with Singer's style of having Superman set in our world (like how Nolan did with Batman).

However, I do think it could use a tad bit more of a futuristic style using the excuse that it was added in when fixing the damage Lex caused.
I agree. I love his work on designing the buildings of Daily Planet & others. They really feel like Metropolis, which I felt Donner failed at. He made it too much like NY, where Dyas make it really look like Metropolis. I hope he return as well.

__________________
~AP's a pedophilia who love posting pics of little boys in Superman costumes O_o
Nightwing1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.