The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Old 07-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
Mr. Joker
Banned User

Default The Joker A Reality?

Okay, the more & more I think about it, if someone had a mind just as warped as the Joker in this movie, they could actually accomplish what he did, or possibly do worse. What do you guys think?

Mr. Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
Knightsaber Priss
Lone Wolf

Default Re: The Joker A Reality?

Are you saying you'd be the first volunteer?

"I know what you would say, and it would seem like wisdom, but for the warning in my heart." Frodo Baggins - Fellowship of the Rings

I have changed. Things that I once wanted are now but a distant memory forever cloaked in the shadows of the twilight of the past.
Knightsaber Priss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Superhobo
Banned User

There are various real-life serial killers that some people would describe as almost as flamboyant and insane, though extremely lucid, as the Joker - Charles Manson being one of them. Listening to him in interviews was eerie, because he's so similar. He's not as violent as the Joker probably would be, and he constantly makes self-depreciating claims like, "Look, man! I'm just a simple car thief," and so on. But, yes. Given the right set of circumstances, someone like the Joker could exist.

Superhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Rorschach II
Must investigate further.

The world has plenty of supervillains in its past, present, and certainly in its future. It's the superheroes that are lacking.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

Charles Manson feels like a straight up act. Especially in the interview where he is just spouting gibberish, the reporter threatens to leave then Charlie straightens up.

CaptainClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
adhokk7
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joker View Post
Okay, the more & more I think about it, if someone had a mind just as warped as the Joker in this movie, they could actually accomplish what he did, or possibly do worse. What do you guys think?
I don't think there's any way that could happen without all of the ancillary conditions being present. For one thing, you would need a bunch of distraught mob bosses willing to follow a guy in make-up and that, by itself, is enough to insure such a scenario would never become reality. Furthermore, you'd need a police force as morally vulnerable as Gotham's as well as a citizenry so concerned about their city, for better or worse, that they would be willing to, with any concerted significance, turn against the one thing that stood in the way of a Jokeresque figure taking control (be it Batman or Harvey Dent), and I just can't see the citizens of a city being that concerned, yet so easily swayed by a figure like the Joker. Apathy and the innate human drive to be self-centered preclude this. Nolan et al have done a terrific job of making a realistic version of the Batman story, but it's not so realistic that it could happen in real life, in my opinion.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Lauryn2000
Side-Kick

Terrorist(s)
Main function is to cause utter chaos and fear.
Una-Bomber,Timothy McVeigh,Ted Bundy,The Green River Killer,The Boston Strangler,The Zodiac Killer
Son Of Sam,Saddam Hussein,Charles Manson,Hitler......

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the w*** and politicians will look up and shout 'Save Us!'...and I'll look down and whisper,'No....'~~Rorschach's Journal 10/12/85

Last edited by Lauryn2000; 07-22-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Lauryn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
Nathaniel Essex
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn2000 View Post
Terrorist(s)
Main function is to cause utter chaos and fear.
Una-Bomber,Timothy McVeigh,Ted Bundy,The Green River Killer,The Boston Strangler,The Zodiac Killer
Son Of Sam,Saddam Hussein,Charles Manson,Hitler......
The word Terrorist has been manipulated and changed ever since George Bush stepped into office and decided that anyone who does wrong in his eyes is a terrorist..

I mean, come on... Son Of Sam... Ted Bundy, hell even The Green River Killer? I can only look at two names on that list you posted and even they are questionable to be labeled "Terrorists"

Nathaniel Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
Paradyme
Please Remain Calm

The thing about the Joker is that he was more like a criminal mastermind I mean a brilliant, evil force. To pull off some of the stuff he did would take a lot of planning.

Paradyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #10
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User

Nope.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #11
jackjack924
Side-Kick

Life would be easier if all the criminals dressed up in purple suits...

jackjack924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

i think it is possible that some nutcase could go round killing people dressed like a joker.
but he would not be the real joker and accomplish what he does, IMO he has a sorta supernatural aura. he just basically does what he wants when he wants where ever he wants like a ghost. also everything he does comes off and is very elaborate its not just your normal bank job or jail break.

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #13
Lauryn2000
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel Essex View Post
The word Terrorist has been manipulated and changed ever since George Bush stepped into office and decided that anyone who does wrong in his eyes is a terrorist..

I mean, come on... Son Of Sam... Ted Bundy, hell even The Green River Killer? I can only look at two names on that list you posted and even they are questionable to be labeled "Terrorists"
9/11
NYC-I was downtown on my way to work...scared to death because had no clue what was going on.

NYC
Anthrax--ever open your mail outside,with latex gloves on and a hospital mask on?
I did....not alot of fun.....

Son Of Sam "terrorized" the City of New York for a whole summer,I was a kid and we couldn't go outside past a certain time.People were scared and it was because you didn't know..who was next.

So....I've lived through three acts of terror (ism) and also served during the Gulf War I......anything that will strike fear in your heart is the main goal.

Doesn't matter the catergory as long as it accomplishes it's goal...FEAR!

Terrorize-fill with terror;coerce by threat or violence
Terroism-systematic covert warfare to produce terror for political coercion

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the w*** and politicians will look up and shout 'Save Us!'...and I'll look down and whisper,'No....'~~Rorschach's Journal 10/12/85

Last edited by Lauryn2000; 07-22-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #14
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

this is possible for sure

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #15
Nathaniel Essex
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn2000 View Post
9/11
NYC-I was downtown on my way to work...scared to death because had no clue what was going on.

NYC
Anthrax--ever open your mail outside,with latex gloves on and a hospital mask on?
I did....not alot of fun.....

Son Of Sam "terrorized" the City of New York for a whole summer,I was a kid and we couldn't go outside past a certain time.People were scared and it was because you didn't know..who was next.

So....I've lived through three acts of terror (ism) and also served during the Gulf War I......anything that will strike fear in your heart is the main goal.

Doesn't matter the catergory as long as it accomplishes it's goal...FEAR!

Terrorize-fill with terror;coerce by threat or violence
Terroism-systematic covert warfare to produce terror for political coercion
But thats the thing, Son of Sam didn't go out to strike fear into people.. He actually thought his neighbours dog was the Devil and was telling him to kill.. He didn't have a goal to spread fear in anyway, if you lived through his era, you would have known it

Nathaniel Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #16
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

Terrorist have a motive for doing what they do. People like the Joker do it for fun and terror is a side effect. Like Nathaniel said above, the Son of Sam did not do what he did to strike fear. He was mentally ill and felt like what he was doing was right.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #17
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User

The Glasgow smile is possible as well as a phyco who wears makeup, but the stuff he pulls off seem kinda far fetched.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #18
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

Oh ya I forgot Joker does have a motive. It is to prove a point, a terrorist does it for all sorts of reasons.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #19
Lauryn2000
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel Essex View Post
But thats the thing, Son of Sam didn't go out to strike fear into people.. He actually thought his neighbours dog was the Devil and was telling him to kill.. He didn't have a goal to spread fear in anyway, if you lived through his era, you would have known it
Unfortunately,I was in grade school,in The Bronx..I guess I was a "Borough" away from his madness.Doesn't matter if the canary was telling him to go kill,he still stalked people like prey and shot them to death.In their cars,lover's lane,while they were walking,it didn't matter......you were still scared to go out after a certain time at night.

You had a whole city "change" their routine because of.....fear.

Now John Hinkley...mentally ill or did he shoot President Regan for the attention of Jody Foster?
Or is he mentally ill or knew exactly what he was doing??

John Lennon's killer?
Sane or Insane??

My sister Sam's (actress) killer....

Where is the line drawn between mentally ill and just plain blood thirsty criminal?

Last edited by Lauryn2000; 07-22-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #20
magus
I Believe in Harvey Dent

I have no doubt that there are people with the same psychology and the will to do so, and 9/11 was certainly close to one of the Joker's plans. Most of his plans from the movie were at least plausible but I really don't think we can ever expect a person to have the proper mix of brains, insanity, influence, nihilism, and power to pull off EVERYTHING he does.

In one sense there is already a huge group of people willing to go to any length to "send a message.

magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #21
Verdammt
Vienna Is Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjack924 View Post
Life would be easier if all the criminals dressed up in purple suits...
There's a sheriff in Arizona that dresses them up in pink underwear. That's a start.....

AFAO vigilante citizen.

Johann Holzel - 2/19/57 - 2/6/98 - R.I.P.
Verdammt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #22
Superhobo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus View Post
I have no doubt that there are people with the same psychology and the will to do so, and 9/11 was certainly close to one of the Joker's plans. Most of his plans from the movie were at least plausible but I really don't think we can ever expect a person to have the proper mix of brains, insanity, influence, nihilism, and power to pull off EVERYTHING he does.

In one sense there is already a huge group of people willing to go to any length to "send a message.

We are called Anonymous. We do not forgive. We do not forget.

Superhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
GreenKToo
In the fire

You just know some moron is out there thinking ''wow, I could be the Joker".
Not that he would succeed.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #24
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
You just know some moron is out there thinking ''wow, I could be the Joker".
Not that he would succeed.
He would die rather quickly. Probably try holding up a small convenient store to get a taste of the criminal life but in the end fail.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #25
Mr. Joker
Banned User

Something similar could happen, but not in the exact same way as Heath's Joker. As said above, there was something supernatural about him. He knew exactly what he was doing every step of the way & showed no fear. I could only do what he did if it was to plot against criminals. Taking innocent lives is something I couldn't do, no matter how warped my mind were to become.

Mr. Joker is offline   Reply With Quote