The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

View Poll Results: I will...
Definitely see the sequel. 79 63.71%
Ony see the sequel if it has more action, better costume etc.. 4 3.23%
Only see the sequel if it has no continuity w/ SR, no kid, no Richard etc.. 11 8.87%
Wait and decide based on more info. 18 14.52%
Definitely not see the sequel. 12 9.68%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #676
GreenKToo
In the fire

Default Re: Anticipation For Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
look the cornfields were important. its impossible to make them CGI.

ohhhhhh whait a minute
http://www.rsp.com.au/portfolio/flv/smrFlv03.htm

ok for some people that isnt obviosu: the real cornfields were relpaced with CGI. so this means that they payed money for real corn and money for CGI.
Ha Ha. Crazy ain't it.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 AM   #677
zerohour films
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake86 View Post
I see your point, but thats just one example and in reality couldnt have costed them more than 1 million dollars. From what I read they did a lot of flying rigs and actual shots of routh only later to be replaced with CGI, that is expensive and time consuming. The money was also spent on the genises camera and that technology. I mean just look at the dark knight, it costed about 185 million dollars, I'm sure a good chunk of that cost went into the IMAX technology. When using film techniques that are new and never used before money is what is needed.

That to me was such a huge disappointment when I first saw the movie (besides other things).

After watching and reading the making of items in regards to the rigs being built and training Routh was undergoing I was really expecting to see something great with the flying. But unfortunately we regressed back to the old serials where the actor would turn into a cartoon and fly off.

Money spent on real corn---only to be replaced or "enhanced" with CGI
Money spent on rigs and on training (in water and on rigs) for flying----only to be replaced by CGI

A $10 million dollar sequence cut that helps with the backstory and motivation of your main character---replaced by some generic text at the start of the film.

Would really like to have be in on the sessions where these decisions were made, if only to hear the reasoning.

zerohour films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #678
Obi Wan Kenobi
Banned User

The sequel needs to have Lex, Brianiac & Metallo.

Obi Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #679
daywalker2007
Banned User

there is absolutely zero anticipation for any type of superman movie.

neither domestically or internationally.

if they do a sequel, it has to have a proper supervillian or supervillians,
plenty of action, and graceful flying scenes with real rigs, not bloody cgi for every flying scene.

it needs to have a dark, moody sci fi tone and plenty of violence,
perhaps even stretching the action close to an R Rating, probably something like TDK where they can get away with a PG-13.

forget the kids, utilise Superman's enemies properly like Brainiac, have him give superman pain, real pain, and make him bleed.

then we will see the big bucks rolling in.

they also need a director on board who is clever enough to use the budget effectively, and not waste money.

there are a few out there who can do this, its just a matter of giving them the opportunity.

the budget has to be no more than 150 to 170 millions tops.

there is no more room for timewasters on superman movies, they have to get this sequel right otherwise they can kiss goodbye to superman forever.

daywalker2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #680
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I don't want a Superman movie with the same tone as The Dark Knight.

Superman isn't Batman.

The Lego Movie: 8.5/10-RoboCop 6.5/10-Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5/10

I SUPPORT GIVING BATFLECK A CHANCE.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #681
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

I honestly don't think there is any anticipation with the general public at this point.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #682
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I don't want a Superman movie with the same tone as The Dark Knight.

Superman isn't Batman.
I think when people compare the two they just mean in terms of quality, TDK is not only a good Batman movie but a good movie period. I wouldnt hurt to have a Superman movie of a similair quality.

SatEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #683
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I honestly don't think there is any anticipation with the general public at this point.
Sadly it seems your right and there is only one person to thank for that.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #684
daywalker2007
Banned User

Quote:
absolutely correct.

superman returns came in 2006 and left without any trace or impression on anybody.

the only people discussing it are people like us.

if they did a direct sequel to superman returns, i doubt the general public would even notice that it was a sequel to returns, they would assume its just a new superman movie and if the trailer was good, they would watch it.

if it was a brand new reboot, and full new cast, maybe then yes, you might get some anticipation.

buts let be real now.
superman returns wasted an opportunity to restart the franchise properly by either doing a full reboot or a partial reboot.

they gave us a vague sequel reboot to a richard donner movie yet failed to introduce anything new or alter things that could give the impression that it was a brand new series.

first of all, Lex should have been the lex who owns Lexcorp, and there should have been a super villian.

that way, the familar and best parts of the donner franchise such as the john williams themes, the fortress look, the overall looks, could continue to be used, yet the Lex luthor would be a completely different character, and aside from these familiar parts, the movie would essentially be a partial reboot.

Keeping the best things from the original franchise and introducing the main characters in a slightly different way.

superman returns just gave us the same real estate lex. a big opportunity just wasted.

lex luthor should have been younger, and far more ruthless and cunning.
and a super villian would have worked great too.

Now we have this Lex luthor and the Kid Jason as two obstacles which are tremendously difficult to overcome for any writer and director, barring a miracle.

Thus, we are now at a point where a complete full reboot may be neccessary.

WB had the opportunity to get away with a partial Reboot, but they cocked it up.

oh dear!

daywalker2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #685
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
I don't either.

Personally I don't see a direct sequel with nothing changed becoming a big boxoffice success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatEL View Post
I think when people compare the two they just mean in terms of quality, TDK is not only a good Batman movie but a good movie period. I wouldnt hurt to have a Superman movie of a similair quality.
He's talking about turning Superman dark and violent so yes he does just want to see Batman in Superman's clothes and thats just something that I don't want.

Also I dug TDK too but it's not the end all to me and I find that best comicbook movie thing childish now. I just know what I think a good or bad movie is. I don't say that Spider-Man one and two and Iron Man and HellBoy and anyother comicbook movie are good comicbook movies, to me they are just good to great movie's based on comicbooks. Period. I don't say, that was good for a movie based on a book so I'm not going to hold comicbook movies to different standards. That is all.

The Lego Movie: 8.5/10-RoboCop 6.5/10-Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5/10

Old 08-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #686
nintendo nerd
Banned User

Quote:
Personally, I didn't think there was a lot of anticipation for SR, A lot of marketing? Yes. But we all know the marketing was mostly crap. You never felt for SR the anticipation for movies like TDK or the spider - man films. IMO, something that really hurts Superman, is that the majority of kids don't care about him. Kids built a lot of hype for that kind of films.

nintendo nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #687
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post

He's talking about turning Superman dark and violent so yes he does just want to see Batman in Superman's clothes and thats just something that I don't want.

Also I dug TDK too but it's not the end all to me and I find that best comicbook movie thing childish now. I just know what I think a good or bad movie is. I don't say that Spider-Man one and two and Iron Man and HellBoy and anyother comicbook movie are good comicbook movies, to me they are just good to great movie's based on comicbooks. Period. I don't say, that was good for a movie based on a book so I'm not going to hold comicbook movies to different standards. That is all.
My bad I thought you meant all the comments stating they wished Superman would get TDK treatment.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #688
Timstuff
Banned User

One of the biggest things I hated about SR (and believe me, that's a very long list), was the movie's look. The whole movie was so dark and muddy, it was hard to see anything and it was a downright ugly way to film a movie. Metropolis is supposed to be a bright and fairly clean city, which makes it an attractive target for the kinds of villains that Superman deals with. But the way SR was filmed, you'd think that Bryan Singer had never seen a day in his life where the sky wasn't full of gloomy clouds (even the night scenes seemed strangly dark and devoid of starlight). I couldn't believe how poorly lit the movie was, and the color processing was definitely not up to modern standards.

Whoever films the MOS, wether it's a sequel or a reboot, I do NOT want it to have the same kind of visual "style" as SR. SR was a downright ugly movie IMO, and Superman is supposed to be one of the brighter and more colorful Superheroes out there.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #689
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

^Agreed

I didn't care for the movie's look either.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #690
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
I agree. IMO, the only way they'll be able to get some buzz going is to cast a really big time actor in the villain role. No B-lister either. A-lister all the way.
That will draw them in, and if the story and action is good to great, the rest will take care of it's self.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #691
Obi Wan Kenobi
Banned User

Think you guys are a little harsh. SR did make 200 million bucks. Thats more than BB.

Singer needs to lose the camp of the Donner universe. Add some supervillians. Up the pace, tell a decent story, let Superman punch someone & brighten his boots & cape for God's sake.

Obi Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #692
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Actually BB outgrossed it in the states. And it was actually very well liked, SR? Not so much. The proof is in WB's reluctantance to make a sequel.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #693
GreenKToo
In the fire

I don't think we're to harsh at all. I'm just as much of a Superman fan as anyone here, but i'm not blind to the fact the TDK had waaaay more anticipation for it after B.B. than M.O.S. does right now after S.R.

If we had of gotten the Superman film that most wanted, we would prolly now be talking about M.O.S.'s B.O. instead of wondering if it's even gonna happen.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #694
SatEL
Banned User

Thumbs up Re: Anticipation For Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I don't think we're to harsh at all. I'm just as much of a Superman fan as anyone here, but i'm not blind to the fact the TDK had waaaay more anticipation for it after B.B. than M.O.S. does right now after S.R.

If we had of gotten the Superman film that most wanted, we would prolly now be talking about M.O.S.'s B.O. instead of wondering if it's even gonna happen.
Well said.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #695
GreenKToo
In the fire

All we can do is hope that maybe someone who matters at W.B. wants to make another one.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #696
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
All we can do is hope that maybe someone who matters at W.B. wants to make another one.
The way I see it they might be thinking well we gave Superman a chance and a huge budget and it failed lets move on to other heroes. Despite the fact they were idiots to give Singer and his merry men the go ahead to making SR, I dont think they can be knocked for this long wait they are probably **** scared of investing in something they are not sure can pull through.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #697
GreenKToo
In the fire

I kinda think we'll see a G.L., Flash, and maybe a W.W. film first. We'll see though.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:59 AM   #698
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

I don't really think they were idiots for giving singer that. Hindsights 20/20 and its easy to say that now but I think you had to look at the circumstance Satel.

-First, WB was desperate for a superman movie and with batman in production they were deadset on getting it started.
-Singer came off the hugely successful x-men films, whether you like them or not, the first movie started this comic book boom.
-Then there's the STM problem which everyone and their mothers say can't be topped. Personally I'm not a fan of the movie but I realize its also from the 70's so I'm not to harsh on it. Had you been on the boards in 2005 you would know what I mean when I say there are diehards that believe its the best movie ever created. I think its more nostalgia than anything else.
- Than you have the smallville problem which at the time was in its fourth season and almost watchable. Everyone wanted Welling, but getting Welling meant ending the show and loosing money on that end. 4 seasons later (no matter how bad some may think it is, and I think its unwatchable now) its still one of the CW's top rated shows so their making money.
-Singer comes in with his pitch that is basically a choose your own origin story, so STM fans could use that or if you wanted you could use the smallville origin. Wb thought that was an excellent solution to an already divided fanbase so they went for it.

Looking back now its easy to say they should have done a reboot, but back than it wasn't. Between Burton, McG and Ratner, they thought singer had the most sound pitch, little did they know they would divide the fans even further.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:46 AM   #699
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake86 View Post
I don't really think they were idiots for giving singer that. Hindsights 20/20 and its easy to say that now but I think you had to look at the circumstance Satel.

-First, WB was desperate for a superman movie and with batman in production they were deadset on getting it started.
-Singer came off the hugely successful x-men films, whether you like them or not, the first movie started this comic book boom.
-Then there's the STM problem which everyone and their mothers say can't be topped. Personally I'm not a fan of the movie but I realize its also from the 70's so I'm not to harsh on it. Had you been on the boards in 2005 you would know what I mean when I say there are diehards that believe its the best movie ever created. I think its more nostalgia than anything else.
- Than you have the smallville problem which at the time was in its fourth season and almost watchable. Everyone wanted Welling, but getting Welling meant ending the show and loosing money on that end. 4 seasons later (no matter how bad some may think it is, and I think its unwatchable now) its still one of the CW's top rated shows so their making money.
-Singer comes in with his pitch that is basically a choose your own origin story, so STM fans could use that or if you wanted you could use the smallville origin. Wb thought that was an excellent solution to an already divided fanbase so they went for it.

Looking back now its easy to say they should have done a reboot, but back than it wasn't. Between Burton, McG and Ratner, they thought singer had the most sound pitch, little did they know they would divide the fans even further.
I meant they were idiots for giving Singer the go ahead after reading his script and hearing his ideas for supes, I can tell you now if I had read SR script prior to the film been made I would have chucked a chair at Singer and his merry men and kicked them the **** out of my office.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:52 AM   #700
wellsy
All crews reporting.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but why would there be? SR came out 2 years ago, and there is nothing at all concrete about a sequel or reboot even now.

The public wouldn't get talking about a movie that hasn't even gone into pre-production yet. They only talk about what's coming and what's already out.

Unless I'm missing something...