The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #26
Watson
Ninja delivery girl

Default Re: Batman live action TV series

They need to finally adapt Gotham Central to a TV show. Case closed.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #27
The Law

I think that a "Gotham Central" adaptation is the most plausible "Batman" series possibility. I actually read an article that suggested they were considering developing a series before "Batman Begins" came together.

A serious, gritty "Gotham Central" show in the vein of "The Wire" would have a lot of potential. Batman can make occasional, small appearances, mostly working in the background. Make Gordon the main character, with him running the Major Crimes Unit, a squad he personally assembled of cops he knows he can trust: Harvey Bullock, Renee Montoya, Sarah Essen, and a few other characters, either from the comics or original creations.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #28
Katsuro
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Law View Post
I think that a "Gotham Central" adaptation is the most plausible "Batman" series possibility. I actually read an article that suggested they were considering developing a series before "Batman Begins" came together.

A serious, gritty "Gotham Central" show in the vein of "The Wire" would have a lot of potential. Batman can make occasional, small appearances, mostly working in the background. Make Gordon the main character, with him running the Major Crimes Unit, a squad he personally assembled of cops he knows he can trust: Harvey Bullock, Renee Montoya, Sarah Essen, and a few other characters, either from the comics or original creations.
Actually the show was going to happen, but they decided on Birds of Prey instead. And yeah, that outline is pretty much exactly what i'd imagine. A cop show, with Batman villains as the bad guys, and the occasional appearance by Batman.

What'd be cool is that they could probably keep doing Batman movies while the show ran. I think. I guess a lot would depend on who they cast as Gordon.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #29
The Law

I suppose Gary Oldman agreeing to play Gordon on the television show would be too much to hope for. Though, if Kiefer Sutherland, Steve Carell, and James Gandolfini can all play roles on television while continuing their film careers, maybe Gary could too.

I see the lineup as something like this:

Gordon- Lieutenant, leader of the unit. Assigned by the police commissioner to head a special investigations unit, the Major Crimes Unit, which initially attempts to make cases against the major organized crime families in town: the Falcones, the Maronis, the Zuccos, and Jefferson Skeevers' drug operation. Later, they move on to investigating the "freaks."

Sargeant Harvey Bullock- second highest ranking member of the squad. Same character as the comics, obese, slovenly, quick-tempered, but ultimately a good detective and loyal to Gordon. A former homicide detective who investigates murders. Source of comic relief, dark sense of humor.

Sarah Essen- A character who really needs to be explored on film at some point. A very talented, driven detective. Her affair with Gordon would make for very good drama.

Renee Montoya- Street-smart detective, promoted from the narcotics unit. Making her character a lesbian would be interesting, but possibly too much for network television.

Crispus Allen- Tough, smart detective. Possibly wary of Gordon's relationship with Batman, but that could be repetitive if Bullock is used in the same role.

An original character, a white male detective. Probably a Dirty Harry type, with self-destructive tendencies. Honestly, what cop show is complete without a self-destructive cop?

Also, a character from the Prosecutor's Office is needed. If they want to push things, Harvey Dent is a possibility, but it would probably be better to go with an original character.

That gives us four males and two females in the staring cast, with an African-American and Hispanic. Seems to cover all bases. A few smaller police characters to round things out would probably make sense.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:42 AM   #30
MaJiN
The Laughing Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Only if HBO did it, as they're the only network that could do it, keep the darkness, and make it not look cheap. I actually had a dream about that after Batman Begins. It was kind of a cross between "The Wire" and Nolan's Bat-verse, and it was called "Gotham." I know, I'm not very creative when I'm unconscious.

But yeah, it would be awesome if HBO took a chance on material like this.
I was thinking that same thing. If it were to end up on the WB, it'll end up being another prime time soap opera.

MaJiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #31
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaJiN View Post
I was thinking that same thing. If it were to end up on the WB, it'll end up being another prime time soap opera.
Not necessarily. Supernatural and Angel both really surprised me of how amazing of quality they had/still have, regardless of them being on a network known for teen soap operas.

I think that, with the right creative team, Gotham Central on The CW could be great.

Also, I'd rather it not be on HBO, so I wouldnt have to wait until a terribly overpriced DVD came out to see it. NBC, please. It be such a great series to put on the same night as Heroes.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #32
batlovescatDC
Tragic Love

I would absolutely love the idea. They could get some of the major comic book writers on as episodes, perhaps even maybe we could get Christopher Nolan as Executive Producer. It would be really, really cool to see all the villains that haven't been used and don't get used in Nolan's films. I do agree that it would need to keep the realistic tone of Nolan's films and B:TAS. But I would not want it to be in the same continuity as Nolan's films or B:TAS. I would love Nolan to be involved but he would have to direct every single episode in order for what he's done to be continued. And we all know that there's no way in hell that would happen. Also, no actors/actresses would be able to continue what Bale and his co-stars have done with the roles. But a tv series with a realistic vision like Nolan's series, with comic book writers working on episodes, with all the major Batman baddies in live-action (Joker, Catwoman, Two-Face, Riddler, Penguin, etc.) I'm totally down for that if it's done right. I mean, let's face it, a television series would be the only way for us to see all the characters in live-action.

Last edited by batlovescatDC; 08-15-2008 at 10:32 PM.
batlovescatDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 PM   #33
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUD_SILENT_MAN View Post
Not necessarily. Supernatural and Angel both really surprised me of how amazing of quality they had/still have, regardless of them being on a network known for teen soap operas.
I say this as a huge fan of Buffy and Angel: WB/CW shows always look cheap. ALWAYS. Because they simply are. It's not just the sets, either. A show like Gossip Girl (no, I don't watch it, but I've seen snippets) that shoots on location instead of sound stages still looks cheap because of the way it's shot. It looks like TV while HBO shows look like movies. It's the cinematography, attention to detail (which goes into "production values"), and editing that just make all the difference in the world.

AND, they never lose their teen demographic skew. Supernatural is absolutely aimed toward the teenagers: they grab the guys with the "darkness" and they grab the girls with their pretty shirtless lead actors. I'm not dissing it, either. I say a good story is a good story, no matter the demographic. Otherwise, Veronica Mars would not be one of my favorite shows ever, as it was clearly a "high school show" in its 1st two (best) seasons, and I was a bit old for high school shows when it 1st aired. But it happened to be a VERY good, different, and often brilliant high school show that simply told a great story with fascinating characters. Angel did get quite dark, but it was always still a bit soapy, and never forgot its main demographic. This Batman show, if it was going to follow Nolan's lead, would need to avoid that "catering to the teen demo" stigma the CW attaches to every one of their shows.

And NBC has yet to handle a show with the kind of grittiness/gravitas this would require. I like Heroes just fine, but it's totally a guilty pleasure, with plenty of its share of cheese and mediocre writing.

If you want it to be handled by the best talent the industry has to offer and be given the type of budget it deserves, it just has to be HBO. There's a reason their shows cost more. Though I do agree they're still a bit overpriced.

Man, I feel like I'm advertising for HBO and I don't even regularly watch anything on there anymore, lol. They just need their edge back (aka risky big-budget concepts), and in this dream scenario, a Batman/Gotham City show would be perfect for that.

Last edited by flickchick85; 08-15-2008 at 11:14 PM.
flickchick85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:59 AM   #34
Katsuro
Side-Kick

Quote:
AND, they never lose their teen demographic skew. Supernatural is absolutely aimed toward the teenagers: they grab the guys with the "darkness" and they grab the girls with their pretty shirtless lead actors. I'm not dissing it, either. I say a good story is a good story, no matter the demographic. Otherwise, Veronica Mars would not be one of my favorite shows ever, as it was clearly a "high school show" in its 1st two (best) seasons, and I was a bit old for high school shows when it 1st aired. But it happened to be a VERY good, different, and often brilliant high school show that simply told a great story with fascinating characters. Angel did get quite dark, but it was always still a bit soapy, and never forgot its main demographic. This Batman show, if it was going to follow Nolan's lead, would need to avoid that "catering to the teen demo" stigma the CW attaches to every one of their shows.
Definately agreed. I mean, the show wouldn't even have any teenaged cast members. I cant imagne them doing their advertisments with all their stars dressed up nice in front of flashy backgrounds, and having whoever would play Gordon up there with Tom Welling and whoever the hell else.

Now, a Nightwing series, that would fit in right at home on the CW.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #35
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
I say this as a huge fan of Buffy and Angel: WB/CW shows always look cheap. ALWAYS. Because they simply are. It's not just the sets, either. A show like Gossip Girl (no, I don't watch it, but I've seen snippets) that shoots on location instead of sound stages still looks cheap because of the way it's shot. It looks like TV while HBO shows look like movies. It's the cinematography, attention to detail (which goes into "production values"), and editing that just make all the difference in the world.

And NBC has yet to handle a show with the kind of grittiness/gravitas this would require. I like Heroes just fine, but it's totally a guilty pleasure, with plenty of its share of cheese and mediocre writing.

If you want it to be handled by the best talent the industry has to offer and be given the type of budget it deserves, it just has to be HBO. There's a reason their shows cost more. Though I do agree they're still a bit overpriced.

Man, I feel like I'm advertising for HBO and I don't even regularly watch anything on there anymore, lol. They just need their edge back (aka risky big-budget concepts), and in this dream scenario, a Batman/Gotham City show would be perfect for that.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but IMO, you'res is insane.

Did you see the later seasons of Angel? It pretty damn much looked like a movie to me. And the writing matched that.

Supernatural, while I agree that the network its on tends to cater towards teenagers, is so much more than that. Face it, the writing, directing and acting lend the show to be far, far superior to the horror movies coming out in theatres these days.

IMO, that "catering to the teen demo" for the Batman show, would be Batman himself. Sure, they would probably hire a good looking, hopefully talented actor to play Bruce, but if the show has Batman, fans will come.

Also, I think people are putting HBO on a pedestal. Sure it has a few good shows, but it is no different than any other network, except you have swearing and nudity. Oh, and you have to pay extra.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #36
jewing3
Side-Kick

This would make me very happy. Great idea.

jewing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #37
blade1600

I'd love a Batman live action tv series but are they even allowed to make it?
If it ever does happen does it have to be on the CW?
Cause I agree their shows look cheap but other big shows like Lost, Heroes, 24 look really good.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #38
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

You think this looks cheap?
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

or this?
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Here's what I think. Basing a tv series in Nolan's universe is very, very stupid. It will not only complicate things terribly for the showrunners, but also for Nolan if he wants to keep making more films in the series.

No Gotham Central. People wont turn into a Batman show that isnt starring Batman. Simple as that. It's why Birds of prey failed (well, that and the fact that it sucked hard.) Comic fans would want it, but regular tv viewers would tune out. Fast.

Get the creative team on Angel in there. They could do it justice. Thats just my opinion.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #39
az824
Side-Kick

part of the many reasons why i love supernatural is the way it looks, its unlike other shows and they do a great job with helping the way it looks make the tone of the show edgier

az824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #40
Katsuro
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUD_SILENT_MAN View Post
\Here's what I think. Basing a tv series in Nolan's universe is very, very stupid. It will not only complicate things terribly for the showrunners, but also for Nolan if he wants to keep making more films in the series.]
I think the idea is that this would be after Nolan makes his movies, and as an alternative to more movies by a different director.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #41
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by az824 View Post
part of the many reasons why i love supernatural is the way it looks, its unlike other shows and they do a great job with helping the way it looks make the tone of the show edgier
Exactly. Gold star for az824.

IMO, should there be a Batman series and any of the creative teams from Angel or Supernatural join as writers/directors/producers, we should consider ourselves very lucky.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #42
az824
Side-Kick

plus Supernatural always has talented, HOT women, so i have no doubt catwoman, ivy, harley, and talia would be well represented

az824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:59 PM   #43
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by az824 View Post
plus Supernatural always has talented, HOT women, so i have no doubt catwoman, ivy, harley, and talia would be well represented
Indeed...
Adrienne Palicki
Tricia Helfer
Emmanuelle Vaugier
Lauren Cohan
Katie Cassidy
just to name a few.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #44
flickchick85
Loose Seal

LOUD_SILENT_MAN, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, because yeah, I think those videos look cheap (and I've seen the Angel finale a million times - one of my favorites ever. Still low-budget.).

You have to understand what I mean by "cheap": They look like TV. Both shows utilized their small budgets very well, with their unique and ambitious "looks," but they still looked like TV shows that try their darndest to look cinematic. Supernatural's fx, while often done in cool ways, still usually look fake/cartoonish. And with Angel, look no further than their OBVIOUSLY fake city backdrops. I've seen every episode multiple times, but every time they're on a rooftop or even looking out Wolfram & Hart's window, I just cringe at the fake backgrounds. It's distracting whenever they're on an obvious sound stage. Also, that last scene in the finale is the perfect example of "working on a budget" - notice we just see the alley, and all the creatures about to attack them are in the shadows (+ a very quick glimpse of the dragon). The epic nature of what's going on is pretty much only implied.

I agree that HBO doesn't have much now, but "some pretty good shows"? Deadwood, The Sopranos, and The Wire are 3 of the greatest shows of all-time, period. Rome and Carnivale were pretty great, too. And those didn't just try - they WERE cinematic. No shows on The CW have ever even come close to reaching the heights of those shows, and I really don't expect any to. And the way you talk about HBO suggests you haven't really watched their shows. Reducing them to their surface traits like you did ("no different than any other network, except you have swearing and nudity.") is like saying Angel is just a vampire show with martial-arts or that Supernatural is about pretty-boys who battle demons. It's just an ignorant description. HBO shows have a lot more to offer than swearing and nudity. And yes, more than the shows on broadcast networks. (some other cable networks, however, may be a different story.)

It's not like this Batman show has much of a chance of happening, but in this dream scenario, I'm just aiming high is all. HBO brings an adult sophistication to their shows that the CW can't (since they're trying to cater to a young demographic and don't have the resources), much like Nolan brings to the Batverse (and yes, there are instances when he does "cater," but thankfully, they're few and far between), which is why I'd prefer to see this show in their hands.

And for the record again, I think there has been some great storytelling on The CW/WB: Buffy, Angel, Supernatural, and Veronica Mars are probably the best they've had to offer, and they are all very good stories. But they are still aimed at a different demographic (and told with smaller budgets) than I would want for this Bat-story.

But as you said, we're all entitled to different opinions.

Last edited by flickchick85; 08-17-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:36 AM   #45
ray243
Side-Kick

By the way, is HBO under time warner?

ray243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:46 AM   #46
flickchick85
Loose Seal

^Yep, it sure is.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:02 AM   #47
ray243
Side-Kick

Then there is no trouble for us to have a batman series on HBO...given that we have seen some mobsters and crime drama on that channel...

Nolan's version of batman is perfect for that channel...no real need for CGI( thus lowering the effects budget) and it allows the writers to IMPROVE on the storyline, as compared to adding more and more explosion.

ray243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:11 AM   #48
elgato
There's a storm coming.

I would looove to see a Bruce/Selina series, with David Boreanaz as Batman and Eliza Dushku as Catwoman, it would be aweeesome

elgato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #49
batboy99
BTVS

^Dont know how two buffy people would work out on screen again though.^ But I can definetly see Eliza as Selina on a tv series more than the movies.(though, obviously, i still want her for the movies).

As for the title, it all depends on how the series is made and what it is based around, but I think it should be something like Gotham Knight(s) or even Shadow of the Bat(HATE the title for the movies, ut I cna see it working for a tv series).

Id like the tone to be dark along the lines of Birds Of Prey(exept this time ,they'll actually be in costume.) Id like to see villains like Freeze, CLayface(who doesnt require much CGI at all really), Ivy and most of the other villains we probably wouldnt see in the movies.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!

Last edited by batboy99; 08-17-2008 at 09:50 AM.
batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #50
batboy99
BTVS

Quote:

Agreed! Though for about 2 episodes in season 2 of Angel, it looked more professionally done, and looked like a movie rather than a TV show.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote