The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 09-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #76
marcvader
Lurker #1

Default Re: The Avengers roster for 2011

I agree. The Pyms need to be in this movie. Don't mind the Avengers focusing on Cap, Tony, and Thor but there needs to be some Giantman and Wasp before any of these Shield suggestions.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #77
Rich Santoro
Addicted to degeneracy

Quote:
If Marvel went away from Thor as a god, then Marvel shows a lack of confidence in their own material, and shouldn't be running a movie studio.
I flattly reject that premise... but I will chalk this one up to being a matter of opinion.

Rich Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #78
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
I agree. The Pyms need to be in this movie. Don't mind the Avengers focusing on Cap, Tony, and Thor but there needs to be some Giantman and Wasp before any of these Shield suggestions.
Agreed. I am actually writing my own pitch for an Avengers movie right now (my last post inspired it). I already have down Pym's character arc.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #79
Franklin Richards
Banned User

The Avengers without the Wasp is like the Justice League without the Martian Manhunter.

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #80
Rich Santoro
Addicted to degeneracy

Quote:
Marcvader
Gotcha, the thing is at least for me I don't want science involved when it comes to Thor. I liken the Norse gods to Greek or Roman gods. Just like there's a mythological place called Mount Olympus there's Asgard. I just picture these fictional places as misty faraway lands where they can watch us from afar. Now where do we literally place them, I don't know but to me the explanation has to be more magical or fantasy than scientific.
Fair enough...

Quote:
FR
That's like turning the Lord of the Rings into a Sci Fi movie. It's fundamentally flawed.
LOTR is a total fantasy film with no roots in our world... Thor on the other hand does have roots in our world. So that example is off. Not to mention that while the Thor movie may or may not be in a totally fantasy-film setting, the Avengers will not be. So, I see this being a bit problematic for the acceptance of the character and his involvement with characters like Ironman... But again, I will relegate this discussion to being a matter of opinion.

And I agree completely that the Pyms need to be central to the core team. If Antman gets a movie, then the backstory can be provided there. If not, then they can become involved outside of filming, with dialoque could set the stage for their backstory.

Last edited by Rich Santoro; 09-03-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #81
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I think you can do Thor and the Asgardians as "Powerful beings who were once worshipped by humans as Gods" and leave it at that.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #82
Rich Santoro
Addicted to degeneracy

Quote:
I think you can do Thor and the Asgardians as "Powerful beings who were once worshipped by humans as Gods" and leave it at that.
I suppose that it may work just fine. I guess that the for the X-Men, not much more than "hey, they have fancy genes" was needed.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #83
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

The Shaun of the Dead director better not f up Ant-Man. I know a lot of people loved that movie but British humor goes right over, around, and through my head

Old 09-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #84
WeaponXProject
Triple bladed shave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Honestly, Pym is much more important to the Avengers team than Hulk, and I would be VERY dissapointed if the Pyms weren't in the movie.

I can't really see the Pym's being a selling point but I know why fans want them in. I don't think audiences will like Pym. I think Marvel will go with the smart sell of Tony, Cap and Bruce.

In space, no one can hear you scream.

The Forever War
WeaponXProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #85
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Pym has his own movie coming out. Whether hes a selling point or not is yet to be seen

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #86
marcvader
Lurker #1

All I know is that they better get a better FX house for the Hulk renderings cuz that last Hulk was doodoo and this movie needs to be groundbreaking and topnotch.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #87
[A]
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
The Shaun of the Dead director better not f up Ant-Man. I know a lot of people loved that movie but British humor goes right over, around, and through my head
Well I don't think the Ant Man movie's gonna be a comedy..

..right?

[A] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #88
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

A movie about Hank shouldn't be. The current Ant Man; Eric O'Grady, would be a hilarious comedy

Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #89
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponXProject View Post
I can't really see the Pym's being a selling point but I know why fans want them in. I don't think audiences will like Pym. I think Marvel will go with the smart sell of Tony, Cap and Bruce.
I ddn't say he's more important on the grand-scale, but he's a much more important AVENGER. After the trinity (Steve, Tony, Thor) the Pyms are possibly the most important avengers. Other than forming the team, Hulk has very little to do with the avengers.

If anything the three it will be built around will be Cap, Iron Man and Thor, the marvel trinity; considering Hulk's movie didn't light the box office aflame, I can see him having a slightly lesser role than Cap or Iron Man.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #90
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
A movie about Hank shouldn't be. The current Ant Man; Eric O'Grady, would be a hilarious comedy
Meh. **** O'Grady. Pym is too important to ignore.

No Pym= No Ultron= No Vision.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #91
[A]
Banned User

Quote:
Well, Edgar Wright's not all about comedy so you should expect something good (if it's ever done)

Old 09-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #92
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Here is how I see Hank, and why he is essential for this series:

Hank is one of the world's best minds, on par with say Tony Stark. Maybe he was one of SHIELD's brightest minds before Stark Industries began to overshadow him. As we go on, Hank feels less and less important to the team. He is constantly trying to become relevant again, not for SHIELD, but for himself. The others make him feel small, so it is ironic his power is he can shrink. I see this lack of self-respect leading down a path of ignoring/poorly treating Janet, since I doubt they'll make him a wife beater, and possibly drive her away from him entirely out of jealousy. This lack of self-respect I see also driving him to attempt to create something that will overshadow anything Stark or anyone has done. I see this invention going horrbily wrong in the sequel: Ultron. He is a tragic figure. He had the brains and the resources, but he never suceeded the way Stark or others have. It eats at him all the time. And he knows it is his own fault.

Pym is one of the greatest underused characters in comics. This is how I'd approach the character if I were writing the Avengers.

I'll post my full Avengers pitch later.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #93
WeaponXProject
Triple bladed shave.

Quote:
I ddn't say he's more important on the grand-scale, but he's a much more important AVENGER. After the trinity (Steve, Tony, Thor) the Pyms are possibly the most important avengers. Other than forming the team, Hulk has very little to do with the avengers.

If anything the three it will be built around will be Cap, Iron Man and Thor, the marvel trinity; considering Hulk's movie didn't light the box office aflame, I can see him having a slightly lesser role than Cap or Iron Man.

I know you didn't say that. But I didn't say you did. As for more important. I am pretty sure the fans would rather see the big three like I said then Ant man or Giant man. That's just from my opinion. Every none fan but big movie fan I have talked to would rather see Hulk, Cap and Iron Man than Ant Man

What I said is what I would think from Marvel's point of view. They would use the characters audiences are more used to. Whether Antman can sell is unsure but Hulk and Iron Man already did good, well Hulk did okay, and Cap is one of the biggest in Marvel so if I were them that's what I would do. I could see Pym as more of a side character or the one who brings them all together.

Also, Edgar Wright said Antman will NOT be a comedy but will have funny events and things in it.

In space, no one can hear you scream.

The Forever War
WeaponXProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #94
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Here is how I see Hank, and why he is essential for this series:

Hank is one of the world's best minds, on par with say Tony Stark. Maybe he was one of SHIELD's brightest minds before Stark Industries began to overshadow him. As we go on, Hank feels less and less important to the team. He is constantly trying to become relevant again, not for SHIELD, but for himself. The others make him feel small, so it is ironic his power is he can shrink. I see this lack of self-respect leading down a path of ignoring/poorly treating Janet, since I doubt they'll make him a wife beater, and possibly drive her away from him entirely out of jealousy. This lack of self-respect I see also driving him to attempt to create something that will overshadow anything Stark or anyone has done. I see this invention going horrbily wrong in the sequel: Ultron. He is a tragic figure. He had the brains and the resources, but he never suceeded the way Stark or others have. It eats at him all the time. And he knows it is his own fault.

Pym is one of the greatest underused characters in comics. This is how I'd approach the character if I were writing the Avengers.

I'll post my full Avengers pitch later.

It's hillarious; Hank hits Janet once...and he's black listed.

Batman goes nuts and tries to kill Catwoman, and it's fine.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #95
[A]
Banned User

Quote:
Also, Edgar Wright said Antman will NOT be a comedy but will have funny events and things in it.
I trust the man

Old 09-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #96
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
I know you didn't say that. But I didn't say you did. As for more important. I am pretty sure the fans would rather see the big three like I said then Ant man or Giant man. That's just from my opinion. Every none fan but big movie fan I have talked to would rather see Hulk, Cap and Iron Man than Ant Man

What I said is what I would think from Marvel's point of view. They would use the characters audiences are more used to. Whether Antman can sell is unsure but Hulk and Iron Man already did good, well Hulk did okay, and Cap is one of the biggest in Marvel so if I were them that's what I would do. I could see Pym as more of a side character or the one who brings them all together.

I honestly don't think an ant-man movie is necessary.

Basically:

Cap= Leader.
Iron Man= The Brains.
Thor= The Power.
Giant Man= The slightly less intelligent genius.
Wasp= Obligatory female
Hulk= The Black Sheep.

You can't do an Avengers film without Pym involvement.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #97
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
It's hillarious; Hank hits Janet once...and he's black listed.

Batman goes nuts and tries to kill Catwoman, and it's fine.
But, Catwoman wasn't his wife

I get what you're saying, but that event is one of the key moments in his comic history. I doubt we'll ever see it on screen, but it makes sense how it occured considering his history.

Ant-Man is a character that was always overshadowed. He was created to be the next big hero, but unlike many of Stan Lee's creations, he never took off. He is overshadowed. They've tried to revamp him to make him a major character, but those ideas never quite take off. It is quite ironic the guy who shrinks is always overlooked.

Hence why I'd approach Pym in this manner on screen.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #98
[A]
Banned User

Quote:
I honestly don't think an ant-man movie is necessary.
Ok. Make an Atom Ant movie instead!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #99
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
But, Catwoman wasn't his wife

I get what you're saying, but that event is one of the key moments in his comic history. I doubt we'll ever see it on screen, but it makes sense how it occured considering his history.

Ant-Man is a character that was always overshadowed. He was created to be the next big hero, but unlike many of Stan Lee's creations, he never took off. He is overshadowed. They've tried to revamp him to make him a major character, but those ideas never quite take off. It is quite ironic the guy who shrinks is always overlooked.

Hence why I'd approach Pym in this manner on screen.
It's funny, because Pym was actually Lee's first solo hero post-F4. Before Hulk, Spider-Man, Thor, and Iron Man, there was Ant-Man.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #100
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
It's funny, because Pym was actually Lee's first solo hero post-F4. Before Hulk, Spider-Man, Thor, and Iron Man, there was Ant-Man.
I know. It is interesting to think about. Looking over Pym's history made me understand him more as a character. Now, I have an idea of what drives him.