The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #76
The Batkilt
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman live action TV series

I get the feeling that CaptainClown might possibly like an adaption of Gotham Central for the small screen.

The only downside to that would be how it's advertised - as flickchick85 said it comes down to which network it's on. Being from the UK I don't know most of them but HBO always seems to deliver with their programming - at least any that are available over here anyway, which is a lot if you're willing to channel hop for it - and I think they'd be able to make it clear when marketing that it's not a Batman show as such. Just a show featuring him.

Another cool thing about that would be keeping an element of mystery to Batman as he wouldn't be the main focus.

The Batkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #77
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

There is an amazing scene in Gotham Central where one of the detectives is talking to who he thinks is his lieutenant about a case. It is later revealed that was actually Batman. Now that is something I would love to see in a live action show.

I could also see the show hyping around the police of Gotham and since Gotham is typically associated with Batman many people would be drawn in just to see what it was about. Also you might want to add some flashy villains in the preview along with maybe some poster that looked like.

CaptainClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #78
The Batkilt
Side-Kick

I think any adaption would have Batman featured a fair deal, as I can't see any network making it with him not being featured somewhat prominently. Having said that I'd still see him used as a supporting character, and only as Batman.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was one in the future. If Nolan does return for a third film that'd likely be it for the current series of films, and then I could see Gotham Central getting the go-ahead. As that'd be at least a four year wait though I'd rather they just make one now.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #79
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

Well if I remember correctly Birds of Prey didn't involve Batman that much. I think it could defenitly work especially if it isn't hyped as IT IS A BATMAN CRIME DRAMA! but rather it is a crime drama and Batman makes some cameos. They could probably delve into Bruce Wayne as someone who is an idiot. Though I could see how studios would be cautious when approaching it, but I think this could really bring in lots of people who are turned off by those super powered shows (heroes, smallville) but do like to see adaptations of superheroes.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #80
The Batkilt
Side-Kick

The reason I mentioned the marketing was due to Birds of Prey. I think Gotham Central is a more natural fit for an episodic TV drama, but you'd need to be very clear not to advertise it as a Batman TV show.

The only other reason I can't see it getting the go-ahead right now is WB seems to think it'd get confused with the current films. Which it very well could, but again that comes down to how well and clearly it's advertised and how good the show is on it's own merits.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #81
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

Ya, I could see people getting it confused with the films, but I think right off the bat they should just do something that separates it from the film. I do think using that image I posted would def. get people into the mood that this is Batman related. Especially if we have the Bat signal in the background like that.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #82
Ishmayl
Snarkmeister

The best way to do this would be to let someone like HBO, or at least SciFi channel, have the reigns. If you give it to FOX, the CB, or NBC, it will be garbage, if it's not just canceled after the first four episodes (I'm looking at you, Fox).

Ishmayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #83
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

ya if it is good Fox will want to cancel it.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #84
Simon Dark
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmayl View Post
The best way to do this would be to let someone like HBO, or at least SciFi channel, have the reigns. If you give it to FOX, the CB, or NBC, it will be garbage, if it's not just canceled after the first four episodes (I'm looking at you, Fox).

Oh my God, the day the SciFi channel has the reigns of a live-action Batman show will be the day I plunge off a thirty story building after having swallowed a bottle of toilet cleaner in one hand and tattooing Larry the Cable Guy into my chest with the other hand. It wont stop there, however, as my last will and testament will demand that my body be cut up into tiny pieces which would conveniently fit into small giftboxes, wrapped, and shipped to my friends who enjoy the films "Ghost Rider" and "Fantastic Four".

I do however agree Fox could definitely not be entrusted with the show either.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #85
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Yeah, I love Battlestar Galactica but Sci-fi's ratio of good-to-bad programming is pretty much 1:1 million. Now, FX or Showtime, maybe, if they can't get HBO, but I think it's chances of being good would be better even on a broadcast network than Sci-Fi.

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #86
Simon Dark
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Yeah, I love Battlestar Galactica but Sci-fi's ratio of good-to-bad programming is pretty much 1:1 million. Now, FX or Showtime, maybe, if they can't get HBO, but I think it's chances of being good would be better even on a broadcast network than Sci-Fi.
Showtime, FTW. Dexter is my cream corn.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #87
Mike
Banned User

I wouldnt want a gotham city show, I would just miss Batman so much. Why not just try to do a live action Batman show with "some" realism in there? Have Batman and Gordon be the main characters. Have the show be gritty, urban, and scary. With Batman fighting the mob, serial killers, rapist, terrorist, and other famous Batman villains.

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #88
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

Have you read Gotham Central? (not trying to sound like an ass I am just trying to see where you are coming from)

Old 09-26-2008, 12:51 AM   #89
Mike
Banned User

No where can i read it?

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:53 AM   #90
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

I think you can download it. Anyway, the way batman is portrayed in that is amazing though. With Batman being a cameo it just works so well. You actually are afraid of Batman and have no idea where he is.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:00 AM   #91
Hole Shot
Better Than Smurfberries

My insane way unrealistic never gonna happen idea because it would be the most expensive TV miniseries would be No Man's Land on HBO. Four seasons/volumes i.e. Cataclysm, Aftershock, Road & No Man's Land.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #92
bweurk
Side-Kick

I like the idea of a TV serie, may be not a continuation of Nolan's movies, but in the same gritty realistic style. It could be a combination of a Batman Show and a Gotham Central show, with episodes centered on Batman and others where he would only appear as a cameo, I thik it would help having better actors without taking too much of their time.
I agree with those who say it should be done by HBO, Showtime, or FX (I'm a fan of the Shield)
I think they could even use Robin (whom i don't want in the movie), for exemple, make him appear in season 3, he is a teenager (15-16 years old) who gives informations to Batman (his CI) to help him fight criminality, and at the end of the season, his parents are murdered because he helped batman. Filled with guilt, Wayne adopt him. During the next season, Wayne learns that he has a heart illness because of his use of steroids (i think it would be good to show that Wayne is so much into his war that he is destroying himself) and because he is afraid he could not see the end of his battle, he starts training Grayson to become his successor...

Also, any ideas for the actors?
As a fan of the shield, i could see Walton Goggins or Jay Karnes as the Joker, what do you think?

Last edited by bweurk; 09-27-2008 at 11:27 AM.
bweurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #93
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Dark View Post
Showtime, FTW. Dexter is my cream corn.
Mine too, along with Weeds. The only reason I'd prefer HBO is because they have the bigger budgets. But Showtime's pretty good at making us forget that. It's just...the only "big budget" show I've ever seen on Showtime would be the Tudors, and I think visually, that show looks like, well, tv. Rome, and to a smaller extent Deadwood, looked like movies.

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #94
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

Default We had Smallsvile? Is it time for Gotham?

Despite everyones mixed reviews of Smallsvile, It has been a success. But i wonder, are we ready for a new Batman Live Action series?

The problem with The Batman is that its more popular than Superman. In the term of there is more Batman related media out there than Superman... everytime i look around he's ever in a comic, as a cartoon series, new toy line or big screen film.

So it got me thinking... What about a Batman Live Action series, like Smallsvile but doesnt focus on Bruce Wayne?

Picture this...

G.P.D (Gotham Police Department)
Synopsis: Newly appointed Comissioner Gordon seeks to clean up gotham from the mobish culture that has spawned theatrical fends and villians. The series will follow Gordon and his team trying to solve riddles, playing the Joker's games, playing Cat and Mouse and investigating and going undercover to finally resolve the biggest mystery of all Who Is The Batman?

Cast
-----

Comissioner Gordon - Leading The Team
Detective Flass - A Currept "Weak Link" member of the team.
Detective Yin - Newly transfered member
Detective Tankinson - The Bumbling comical relief
Detective Allen - The police veteran

I think The Batman, Robin, Batgirl and Nightwing should not appear but there presence is felt. For example, Barbara could turn up for a cameo role... Being that Gordon and his team is the focus of the show as a crime scene investigation style format. Also the fact that they are facing the same villians that Batman is facing and the fact that these villians are defeated by batman, not shown in the tv series but you would be informed of his presence and then there is Wayne himself who could cameo or have a recurring role as one of the faces of gotham... but only seen by Gordon as a rich playboy who is enjoying his money.

So what do you think?

TheVelvetOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #95
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Default Re: We had Smallsvile? Is it time for Gotham?

May as well just make a Gotham Central TV show... Which they tried to do a couple a years ago. Didnt happen so they made Birds of Prey instead...

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #96
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

The brilliant thing is that if you thought about the series as a whole, the characters you could through in...

Harvey running for district attorney...Then later becoming two-face
Joker's constantly alluding not only G.P.D but Batman meaning he would be a recurring character. The riddler - who could be a season final, but think about it, he has left clues in the previous episodes and leads to his appearance in the final... Think of Doctor Who, they lace the entire series with clues to who the villian in the finel was... i think it would be brilliant...

There would be some characters left out, like Clayface, Man-Bat, KillerCroc but i think you could have something here.

TheVelvetOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #97
Neto Magnus
Banned User

CSI:Gotham City?

Neto Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #98
El Payaso
Banned User

I haven't seen more than 2 episodes of Smalville so I won't talk crap about it (only that it didn't hold my intertest for more than 2 episodes). But a Batman series where Bruce Wayne wears blue and grey clothes but never becomes Batman? Produce the series if it must be done, I won't be watching it.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 PM   #99
Rasputin911
Side-Kick

No Bruce Wayne/Batman.

I think it could work maybe from Gordon's perspective. The first season tells of his first year as commisioner, etc. etc.

Or one of his close subordinates, with Gordon as a recurring side character.

They could constantly allude to Batman though, which could be great. Like "Guess what our caped crusader dug up on Stevens?" or "How does he always get to the scene before we do?" etc.

Its not about money...its about sending a message
Rasputin911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #100
raybia
Signing off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVelvetOnion View Post
Despite everyones mixed reviews of Smallsvile, It has been a success. But i wonder, are we ready for a new Batman Live Action series?

The problem with The Batman is that its more popular than Superman. In the term of there is more Batman related media out there than Superman... everytime i look around he's ever in a comic, as a cartoon series, new toy line or big screen film.

So it got me thinking... What about a Batman Live Action series, like Smallsvile but doesnt focus on Bruce Wayne?

Picture this...

G.P.D (Gotham Police Department)
Synopsis: Newly appointed Comissioner Gordon seeks to clean up gotham from the mobish culture that has spawned theatrical fends and villians. The series will follow Gordon and his team trying to solve riddles, playing the Joker's games, playing Cat and Mouse and investigating and going undercover to finally resolve the biggest mystery of all Who Is The Batman?

Cast
-----

Comissioner Gordon - Leading The Team
Detective Flass - A Currept "Weak Link" member of the team.
Detective Yin - Newly transfered member
Detective Tankinson - The Bumbling comical relief
Detective Allen - The police veteran

I think The Batman, Robin, Batgirl and Nightwing should not appear but there presence is felt. For example, Barbara could turn up for a cameo role... Being that Gordon and his team is the focus of the show as a crime scene investigation style format. Also the fact that they are facing the same villians that Batman is facing and the fact that these villians are defeated by batman, not shown in the tv series but you would be informed of his presence and then there is Wayne himself who could cameo or have a recurring role as one of the faces of gotham... but only seen by Gordon as a rich playboy who is enjoying his money.

So what do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I haven't seen more than 2 episodes of Smalville so I won't talk crap about it (only that it didn't hold my intertest for more than 2 episodes). But a Batman series where Bruce Wayne wears blue and grey clothes but never becomes Batman? Produce the series if it must be done, I won't be watching it.
Great idea and very interesting but I have to agree with El Payaso, without Batman ever some up I think it would die a quick death.

As an alternative I would propose a young Bruce Wayne series were he travels the world towards his destiny as the Dark Knight. Occasionally I might have him return to Gotham for a very special episode with a guest appearance by characters such as Alfred, Gordon, or future freak villians.

Thanks Hype for the memories!

Last edited by raybia; 12-30-2008 at 08:12 PM.
raybia is offline   Reply With Quote