The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 09-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #26
Mr_Anderson
Newbie First Class

Default Re: Anyone prefer Iron Man over Dark Knight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy_Parker View Post
so what every one's trying to say is..

TDK - Story Wise - Good

Iron Man - Effects Wise - KICKASS

am I to far off?
Depends on who you talk to.

I think its better to compare Iron Man to Batman Begins - both are the origin stories of their respective franchises. You can't really accurately compare an origin story to a sequel.

If you do that and are one of those people who likes to talk up box office, you'll see Iron Man actually did better than Batman Begins - in fact it did 200K more. After only one movie. Whereas Batman has had four films before that.

When Iron Man gets his sequel, compare that to TDK. Apples with apples. Oranges with oranges.

Last edited by Mr_Anderson; 09-29-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Mr_Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #27
co2
Side-Kick

A well executed story will beat effects any day.
Let's put it this way...Iron Man will be remembered as a really fun summer movie of 2008. TDK on the other hand will likely be nominated for best picture of 2008 (may even win) and will be remembered as a classic. That's no contest

co2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:57 PM   #28
Spider-X
Big damn hero

Iron Man is funner.

The Dark Knight is deeper.

and that's my 2 cents.

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
More to come...eventually
Spider-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #29
Troy_Parker
Banned User

^^ Thats what I meant

Troy_Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #30
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGilkison
Iron Man was good. Dark Knight was great. Both movies will be sitting on my DVD shelf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-X View Post
Iron Man is funner.

The Dark Knight is deeper.

and that's my 2 cents.
Agreed.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #31
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Iron Man was more entertaining and I really enjoyed it, that being said the Dark Knight is the better movie to me. I liked Iron Man more because it wasn't so...despressing. Hell, I'm get kinda detailed.

My scores for the Storylines:

Iron Man: 7.5/10

The Dark Knight: 9/10

My Scores for the lead actors:

RDJ 9.5/10

Christian Bale 8/10

My Scores for the villains:

Obadiah Stane 7/10

The Joker 9.5/10

My overall scores for the entire cast:

IM 8.5/10

TDK 9.5/10

My scores for the action scenes/fight scenes:

IM 8.5/10

TDK 6.5/10

Just wanted to do something different.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 09-30-2008 at 02:23 PM.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #32
DarthAlani
Side-Kick

You will get nothing but fanboy based answers on here. They were both good.

DarthAlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #33
Delete
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post
When you can back up your comment with some reasoning instead of an off the wall remark, someone might bother to respond properly. If the third act of Iron Man didn't make sense, then it might be time to go back to childrens films.
I didn't say it didn't make sense. Well not in the way you imply anyway. It didn't make sense for Jeff Bridges character to want Tony dead before Tony's, no pun intended, change of heart. He was the cash cow that was being milked for all it was worth. Plotting to kill him before hand made no sense.

My other problem is that the villain was just some greedy corporate guy in a another Iron Man suit. Compared to The Joker and Two Face how can that possibly be better? Old Robot Gordon Gekko didn't do it for me personally.

Delete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #34
webhead731
I'm a photographer

Honestly, I liked Incredible Hulk the best. =p

Iron Man comes next, then Dark Knight.

All three are good, I just was super impressed with Incredible Hulk and I liked the action and story etc.

It's pretty underrated, anyone agree?

webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #35
YJ1
Armed and Dangerous

Lightbulb Re: Anyone prefer Iron Man over Dark Knight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Fisher View Post
Don't get me wrong, TDK was very good. However, I liked this alot more. Which is funny because, I was always into Batman more than Iron Man. And TDK isn't really the "greatest superhero movie ever made" like the fanboys make it out to be.
Agree 100%

Still, I rated Iron Man a 10/10 and TDK a 9/10. So, both are outstanding films.

Iron Man is the more complete, all-around film. TDK is darker and more intense.

YJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #36
BETArayBill
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead731 View Post
Honestly, I liked Incredible Hulk the best. =p

Iron Man comes next, then Dark Knight.

All three are good, I just was super impressed with Incredible Hulk and I liked the action and story etc.

It's pretty underrated, anyone agree?
i second that about the hulk i loved that movie

Old 09-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #37
co2
Side-Kick

I put this summer's big line-up like this.

Incredible Hulk - good movie

Iron Man - great movie

The Dark Knight - instant classic

Unlike the last few years, this has been an extremely satisfying summer, the likes of which we may not see for a while. Those were my big 3 and none turned out to be anything close to a disapointment.

co2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #38
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Batman, Iron Man, Indy, Hulk, Speed Racer, Hellboy - This really has been "The Summer Of Geek."

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #39
TLH
Hypnotized

I don't think I could prefer one over the other -- they're just too different to get away with it. I watch them both for different reasons. Iron Man is fun, TDK is serious, and both pull each off just as well and are both just as good.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #40
Mr_Anderson
Newbie First Class

Well at least you have now come back to clarify your position, Delete. So now allow me to address your points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delete View Post
It didn't make sense for Jeff Bridges character to want Tony dead before Tony's, no pun intended, change of heart. He was the cash cow that was being milked for all it was worth. Plotting to kill him before hand made no sense.
Stane wanted to be head of the company (kind of alluded to in the award presentation - he had control of the company before Tony was of an age where he could handle it), so he could sell arms to anyone. As seen later in the film, he was willing to deal with anyone, something even Stark wouldn't do.

It is revealed that Stane paid the Ten Rings members to kill Stark, but they realized who Stark was and demanded a much higher price (Peppers bit of espionage).

Quote:
My other problem is that the villain was just some greedy corporate guy in a another Iron Man suit. Compared to The Joker and Two Face how can that possibly be better? Old Robot Gordon Gekko didn't do it for me personally.
Thats a thing of personal preference (as you mention right at the end of your sentence) & not about the 3rd act of the film. And thats fine - if it doesn't float your boat, it doens't float your boat - its your opinion & you're entitled to it. I will never try to talk anyone out of their own personal tastes.

But for me, it fit perfectly within the confines of the story - a man who the Stark family has trusted for years has become corrupted by the power he once wielded & turns against them in order to regain that control. Iron Man has always had its roots heavily grounded in the industrial aspect - as in big corporations, and it makes sense that in the business world you are always trying to one-up your competition.

I found it tied in better than some random guy wearing make up appearing from nowhere, terrorising the city. With that said, the reason I went to see TDK was because of Heaths Joker. He was a more entertaining villain than Stane (though the scene where Bridges pull Tonys Arc out was pretty awesome as far as tone goes). If he hadn't died or wasn't in it at all, I don't know if I would have bothered to see it because he was the best thing about it. Batman/Bruce Wayne played third fiddle to both the Joker & Harvey Dent, where as Iron Man/Tony Stark was front & centre the whole time.

Mr_Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #41
In a Pickle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, TDK was very good. However, I liked this alot more. Which is funny because, I was always into Batman more than Iron Man. And TDK isn't really the "greatest superhero movie ever made" like the fanboys make it out to be.
You can say it isn't so but that doesn't change anything. TDK IS the greatest superhero movie ever made...critics and fans agree. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

In a Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #42
MaskedManJRK
Side-Kick

I think the difference between Iron Man and TDK is one is an entertaining expereience and the other is extremely visceral and powerful--it would be like comparing, say, an enjoyable game of basketball versus a full-fledged street fight.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #43
StylishHokie21
Side-Kick

I like them both equally.

StylishHokie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #44
OctaviusINC
It's Clobberin' Time!

I like TDK better, but I could watch Iron Man more. You get what I'm saying? Both are fantastic films, but Iron Man is funny and more of a fun movie. TDK, as much as I love it, is kind of a downer to the very end.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #45
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Agreed. After i saw Iron Man, i wanted to get a job at Stark Enterprises, and hang out with Tony, Rhodey, and Pepper....

After i saw TDK, i felt depressed and miserable.....

And that, to me, was the difference.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #46
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post
Well at least you have now come back to clarify your position, Delete. So now allow me to address your points:

Stane wanted to be head of the company (kind of alluded to in the award presentation - he had control of the company before Tony was of an age where he could handle it), so he could sell arms to anyone. As seen later in the film, he was willing to deal with anyone, something even Stark wouldn't do.

It is revealed that Stane paid the Ten Rings members to kill Stark, but they realized who Stark was and demanded a much higher price
That, and Stane also seemed to have eyes for Pepper, who obviously was madly in love with Stark.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #47
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In a Pickle View Post
You can say it isn't so but that doesn't change anything. TDK IS the greatest superhero movie ever made...critics and fans agree. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Well, hell; If the critics and fanboys say so, then i guess it must be true!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #48
TNC9852002
Banned User

I've seen Iron Man like, six times back in the summer and I've seen TDK around 15.

I need to spend a few months and let the movies clear off my palette and then watch each movie again one after the other.

I like how people are saying that TDK is the better film, but Iron Man was more entertaining. I can understand that. The two films are just so different.

It's like comparing Star Wars to Schindler's List..

-TNC

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #49
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

I've seen both films, Iron Man 5 times and TDK once, both were great films, I hardly think TDK is a "instant" classic, it was alright, but abit long winded for my taste, but to each there own I suppose.
We as fans are just lucky we can have this debate as both films were easily the class of the summer movie season.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:27 AM   #50
webhead731
I'm a photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by In a Pickle View Post
Oh shut up.

You know critics are just people who get paid for an opinion, most of which I can hardly ever agree with. I dislike critics for the most part.

And not all fans agree. So shut your mouth. Right now.

webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote