The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 10-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #76
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Default Re: Anyone prefer Iron Man over Dark Knight?

How is a movie that has a 95% rating on RT, will gross $530 mil domestically and $1 bil WW, a performance by an actor that will be recognized with an Oscar nomination and has been mentioned as a possible Best Picture nomination overhyped? TDK is not overhyped, it lives up to the hype and goes beyond it. Had it been overhyped, then the numbers after the OW would have dropped significantly and ended with a financial take closer to SM3. But that didn't happen, this movie had a record breaking OW and amazing legs. An overhyped movie doesn't do that, a movie that lives up to people's expectations and surpasses them for some, and gets excellent WOM does that.

To answer the original poster's question, Iron Man was a fantastic film and has made its way into my top 5 favorite comic book films of all time. TDK, however, for me, is the cream of the crop and is now the gold standard for comic book films. And TDK I felt, transcended its genre to not only be an amazing comic book film but a flat out phenomenal film in its own right.

My preference:

But as another poster mentioned, this question would be better served in the Misc. Comics Films section.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #77
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
How is a movie that has a 95% rating on RT, will gross $530 mil domestically and $1 bil WW, a performance by an actor that will be recognized with an Oscar nomination and has been mentioned as a possible Best Picture nomination overhyped? TDK is not overhyped, it lives up to the hype and goes beyond it. Had it been overhyped, then the numbers after the OW would have dropped significantly and ended with a financial take closer to SM3. But that didn't happen, this movie had a record breaking OW and amazing legs. An overhyped movie doesn't do that, a movie that lives up to people's expectations and surpasses them for some, and gets excellent WOM does that.

To answer the original poster's question, Iron Man was a fantastic film and has made its way into my top 5 favorite comic book films of all time. TDK, however, for me, is the cream of the crop and is now the gold standard for comic book films. And TDK I felt, transcended its genre to not only be an amazing comic book film but a flat out phenomenal film in its own right.

My preference:

But as another poster mentioned, this question would be better served in the Misc. Comics Films section.

There is no guarantee of that.

kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #78
LostSon88
Side-Kick

But its likely to happen. But if you want to get all technical...fine.

Quote:
a performance by an actor that SHOULD be recognized with an Oscar nomination and has been mentioned as a possible Best Picture nomination overhyped?

Old 10-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #79
Canadian Rider
Fear nothing

Ironman was a great Superhero Movie ... Dark Knight was an amazing Film.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #80
kedrell

IMO, superhero movies shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Oscar(except for maybe some technical categories).

Old 10-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #81
Franklin Richards
Banned User

Quote:

My preference:

So you're a big fan of Titanic then?

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #82
kedrell

^Bingo, another over-hyped movie(one that I hate, actually).

Old 10-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #83
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
IMO, superhero movies shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Oscar(except for maybe some technical categories).
Why is that?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #84
kedrell

Because they're ultimately childish. Now hey, sometimes that's fun, but I expect better from Oscar nominees. Not that Oscar is completely pure, after all they did nominate Depp for POTC(a bad joke, IMO).

Old 10-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #85
[A]
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Fisher View Post
Don't get me wrong, TDK was very good. However, I liked this alot more. Which is funny because, I was always into Batman more than Iron Man. And TDK isn't really the "greatest superhero movie ever made" like the fanboys make it out to be.
So.. if they start a thread like this (anyone prefer TDK over Iron Man?) in the Batman forum.. what would be the results..? Pretty pointless, if you ask me

The funny thing would be to start this same thread in the Batman forum..

[A] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #86
kedrell

Hey, they're completely free to make such a thread there. I never go to the Batman forums, so I wouldn't know.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #87
[A]
Banned User

just a harmless suggestion..

Old 10-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #88
El Payaso
Banned User

For me it's TDK 5/5 and Iron Man 4.5/5

Iron Man is fantastic, better than any of the Spiderman movies for me.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #89
[A]
Banned User

^I agree

Old 10-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #90
fu manchu
Side-Kick

for me, it the other way. i like iron man slightly better.

fu manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #91
El Payaso
Banned User

On the otehr hand, I porefer Iron Man to Batman begins any day of the week. IM achieved as an origin movie what BB tried too hard but didn't.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:49 AM   #92
TheScarecrow
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because they're ultimately childish. Now hey, sometimes that's fun, but I expect better from Oscar nominees. Not that Oscar is completely pure, after all they did nominate Depp for POTC(a bad joke, IMO).
Yes, and the people nominated for ten thousand biopics and period films, churning out the same performances every time in movies which are only vaguely dissimilar from eachother is so very "pure". The Oscars became irrelevant a long time ago, and will continue to be irrelevant unless they stop being so pretentious. Ledger's given the best performance of the decade, let alone the year and if he's not nominated the awards will lose all credibility.

To a lesser degree, Downey Jr has given a great performance in Iron Man and I wouldn't exactly be amazed by him getting a nod of some kind. Will that happen? No. TDK is the best movie of the year. It deserves the statue, not a nomination. Will it get it? Nooo. Some run of the mill period piece/biopic will.

TheScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #93
[A]
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
On the otehr hand, I porefer Iron Man to Batman begins any day of the week. IM achieved as an origin movie what BB tried too hard but didn't.
typing while drunk is funnn

Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #94
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScarecrow View Post
Yes, and the people nominated for ten thousand biopics and period films, churning out the same performances every time in movies which are only vaguely dissimilar from eachother is so very "pure". The Oscars became irrelevant a long time ago, and will continue to be irrelevant unless they stop being so pretentious. Ledger's given the best performance of the decade, let alone the year and if he's not nominated the awards will lose all credibility.
Now that's a joke and a half, IMO. There are lots better even just from this year. Best of the decade, my butt!

Quote:
To a lesser degree, Downey Jr has given a great performance in Iron Man and I wouldn't exactly be amazed by him getting a nod of some kind. Will that happen? No. TDK is the best movie of the year. It deserves the statue, not a nomination. Will it get it? Nooo. Some run of the mill period piece/biopic will.

I don't think it is and I don't think it deserves it. But that's my opinion just like what's in bold is your opinion.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #95
d.k.
Side-Kick

I'd give Iron Man a 7.5/10 and Dark Knight a 10/10

d.k. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #96
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Explain please.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #97
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

The Dark Knight was superior for me. Much deeper, and better performances, save for Gyllenhall. Paltrow was much better in the leading female role.

Iron Man is one of the best comic book movies, though. It's definitely on the A-list with The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, and Batman Begins.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:02 PM   #98
dodgers2213
Side-Kick

TDK is insanely overrated

fight scenes are sloppy, little contuinity between TDK and BB, the story really flops for me, first 2 acts are really boring, felt really held back and tried too hard to satisfy parents with pointless one liners like "now thats not good....Now thats REALLY not good *whiny voice*", and from a huge batman fan's view....the fact that NO batarangs are thrown brings it down by half a star

dodgers2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:01 PM   #99
YJ1
Armed and Dangerous

Lightbulb Re: Anyone prefer Iron Man over Dark Knight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ1 View Post
I rated Iron Man a 10/10 and TDK a 9/10. So, both are outstanding films.

Iron Man is the more complete, all-around film. TDK is darker
#3000 post should be nothing short of a statement of fact.

So... Iron Man > TDK

There ya have it.

YJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #100
dodgers2213
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ1 View Post
#3000 post should be nothing short of a statement of fact.

So... Iron Man > TDK

There ya have it.
consider it done

dodgers2213 is offline   Reply With Quote