The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 07-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #76
Retroman
Side-Kick

Default Re: Famke finally speaks her mind about the treatment of Phoenix in X3

She may have been miscast as Storm but people always seem to question her acting ability (because she's so good looking?) despite her getting recognition from her peers before she even did Monster's Ball. There aren't many people who can say they've got an Oscar, Emmy, Golden Globe and SAG awards at home.

Any movie Halle Berry is in i think the majority of moviegoers will take notice just because she's in it. Having said that, i don't think it gives her the right to make demands about the size of her role when you're in a ensemble with a string of other talented actors.

After X2 Halle threatened to walk. I think she said she wanted Storm to have a more intergral part and not just stand there. This and a lot of other studio parameters are probably the reasons Phoenix's role was hurt.

Unfortunately Famke was in no position to really make demands or walk out so she just had to grin and bear it.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #77
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I personally thought Famke was the best thing about X-men: The Last Stand.

Yes Patrick Stewart and Ian Mac Kellen were good... but they would sound and look good reading the script to camera for 2 hours.

Famke gave a chilling performance despite a lackluster script, lackluster co-stars and a very very lackluster director.

You have to give her credit for sticking with it... and doing the best she could under the circumstances.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 AM   #78
Double Down
A New Kind of Thrill

I just watched it on DVD for the first time since I saw it in the theatre and no character was treated correctly. Bryan Singer's touch was obviously missing.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:13 AM   #79
Angamb
Banned User

definetly.

Colossus, Scott, Rogue, Angel..... 4 x-men!, 4 x-men with 4 bad roles, and 3 bad roles for three already known actors.

Thanks so much, Fox.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #80
Double Down
A New Kind of Thrill

Hopefully, the Wolverine movie will be good.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 AM   #81
Angamb
Banned User

I don't mind Wolverine, really.

In fact, I hope it isnt' that good, less Gambit, I hope he is good enough to can see him again in the future.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #82
Double Down
A New Kind of Thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I don't mind Wolverine, really.

In fact, I hope it isnt' that good, less Gambit, I hope he is good enough to can see him again in the future.

Gambit is my favorite X-Man. I'm excited about that.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #83
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Yeah let Marvel do all the work--write the script, build the sets, cast the actors, make the movie, spend the money, etc.

that way we wont have to worry about FOX pulling a Watchmen-eske move in a lame attempt to still get a piece of the action.

FOX makes me sick.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:41 AM   #84
javphonic
Side-Kick

on Halle, after she hit superstardom they really used her name alot, STARRING HALLE BERRY AND HUGH JACKMAN, yet her part was so minimal, they knew she was bankable so they dropped her name everywhere, if it were me I would've asked for a larger role as well, because they're basically using her name and claiming she stars in the film and then giving her a mediocre part

plus she wasn't the only one who complained, Shawn Aashmore and many of the cast complained of long filming hours (in terms of months) and not really having much to do in the films, that's partially why Allan Cummings didn't return

javphonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #85
Double Down
A New Kind of Thrill

Last edited by Double Down; 10-24-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Double Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #86
Angamb
Banned User

Cumming didn't return because Fox didn't ask him.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #87
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Plus, all he did was b*tch about the makeup process...

Old 10-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #88
Angamb
Banned User

but probably he would have returned...

Old 10-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #89
BMM
Side-Kick

He was under contract. He would have had to, if asked.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #90
Angamb
Banned User

that's true. so definetly was Fox who didn't want.

stupid people, hahahaa. Kurt would have been amazing in X3, with the cure and the final battle.

or no..... with that Brett Ratner....

Old 10-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #91
javphonic
Side-Kick

as mentioned ^, that was part of the reason why, now the rest...

actually Cumming didn't want to return because he said that the make up process was too long for how small his role in the film was going to be... thus he'd be in make up for hours and only shoot a few miniscule scenes, much like Collosus

javphonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #92
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledown44 View Post
I heard that Cumming didn't return because Singer didn't.
To be fair, him and Singer didnt get on by the sound of things, so i dont think thats true. Anyway, i'm glad he didnt return, as they probably would have ****ed up Nightcrawler just like they did EVERY other character.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #93
Double Down
A New Kind of Thrill

I have withdrawn my comment.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #94
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
To be fair, him and Singer didnt get on by the sound of things, so i dont think thats true. Anyway, i'm glad he didnt return, as they probably would have ****ed up Nightcrawler just like they did EVERY other character.

if anything they should of had him cameo at the funeral .

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #95
gap5ewl
inconspicuous since '03.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
She may have been miscast as Storm but people always seem to question her acting ability (because she's so good looking?) despite her getting recognition from her peers before she even did Monster's Ball. There aren't many people who can say they've got an Oscar, Emmy, Golden Globe and SAG awards at home.

Any movie Halle Berry is in i think the majority of moviegoers will take notice just because she's in it. Having said that, i don't think it gives her the right to make demands about the size of her role when you're in a ensemble with a string of other talented actors.

After X2 Halle threatened to walk. I think she said she wanted Storm to have a more intergral part and not just stand there. This and a lot of other studio parameters are probably the reasons Phoenix's role was hurt.

Unfortunately Famke was in no position to really make demands or walk out so she just had to grin and bear it.
True. But she has said that all she wanted was some substance. She said that even if Storm would be in the film for ten minutes, she would be willing to do it as long as they were a meaningful ten minutes. So I can understand where she is coming at..Would've really hurt the Phoenix role if we had gotten a few minutes in the film where we see who Storm really is? Like her claustrophobia or her like in Kenya? These were lacking in the the films. X1 touched upon Storm a little bit though like her moment with Kelly and her accent ( would've been nice if that deleted scene with her and Rogue was left in though). X2 didn't really do much for her..the only meaningful part for her was her discussion with Nightcrawler.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #96
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Bravo, Famke! Agreed completely. The Phoenix felt like a non-character in the film...Terrible. And that Ratner quote Retro posted..."Next scene, next scene, Keep moving, keep moving"

Oukay God I can't stand that man!

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #97
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
if anything they should of had him cameo at the funeral .
Just a god-damn mention of were the **** he was would have been appropriate. But no we instead forget all about him, probably because of Ratner's short attention span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
Bravo, Famke! Agreed completely. The Phoenix felt like a non-character in the film...Terrible. And that Ratner quote Retro posted..."Next scene, next scene, Keep moving, keep moving"

Him and Fox go well together for me, because neither are worth **** and both should just stop making movies.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #98
Retroman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap5ewl View Post
True. But she has said that all she wanted was some substance. She said that even if Storm would be in the film for ten minutes, she would be willing to do it as long as they were a meaningful ten minutes. So I can understand where she is coming at..
Her role was meaningful in the trilogy. Just not as meaningful and prominent as Halle wanted it to be or Storm fans expected it to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gap5ewl View Post
Would've really hurt the Phoenix role if we had gotten a few minutes in the film where we see who Storm really is? Like her claustrophobia or her like in Kenya? These were lacking in the the films. X1 touched upon Storm a little bit though like her moment with Kelly and her accent ( would've been nice if that deleted scene with her and Rogue was left in though). X2 didn't really do much for her..the only meaningful part for her was her discussion with Nightcrawler.
You know Storm's african roots really should have been acknowledged more. In X1 they were planning a origin sequence that takes place there and in X3 she mentions it in a chat with Xavier but scene was cut - it's not even in the deleted scenes section just in one of the behind the scenes featurettes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post

Usually it's Fox that makes those kinds of demands. They must have been shocked and pleased when he said that.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #99
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Touching on Nightcrawler - his absence just goes to show how badly the script writers failed (and it is them - Kinberg and Penn - that I blame for the film, not even so much Ratner).

Their excuse was that they couldn't find a role for him. Guess what guys? You're the script writers. These are the characters you are handed. It is your JOB to find a role for the characters. If you can't accomplish that, then you aren't succeeding at your job.

While I love the movie, I will forever have negative feelings towards Kinberg and Penn as scriptwriters for how badly they missed the mark on what the movie could have, and should have been, if they didn't botch it up.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #100
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Regarding Nightcrawler, I've never heard mainstream viewers (who haven't read the comics and aren't part of fanboy zones like the Hype) complain about Nightcrawler's absence, nor do i recall the critics going on about it. Singer very much left the character open-ended in X2 - he was sat at the back of the President's office, not wearing an X-uniform, and was not seen in any scenes after that.

I like the character, and the movie version was excellent - making a very outlandish mutant fit in quite easily to the movieverse - but I don't think he needed to be in X3. It's always a juggle to decide which characters will appear. Some of Nightcrawler's scenes were cut from X2 anyway.

Not that I wouldn't want to see Nightcrawler again, but I can understand why he wasn't in X3. If he'd been shown becoming an X-Men member, then they'd have had to include him or explain his absence but he wasn't.