|11-06-2008, 11:26 PM||#9|
A New Kind of Thrill
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Falls
Re: Brandon Routh should play Clark Kent as well... Brandon Routh <I'll explain>
* Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen come into contact with Superman and Clark Kent. It doesn't matter whether they think Superman has a secret identity or not, if Superman and Clark Kent look the same and act the same, Lois and/or Jimmy would will notice.
* Clark Kent grew up as Clark Kent, then became Superman. Superman didn't become Clark Kent. He keeps the identities separate so that he can live a normal life and live among us as an equal. Could Superman work at a newspaper? Go shopping? See a football game? Of course not. But Clark can, so it is in his interest to keep the identies separate. And making Kent the opposite of Superman is how he does it.
* He certainly did not "become Clark Kent" because he "is a Sicko trying to stalk Lois in Disguise." He was Superman/Clark Kent before he ever met Lois Lane (except in Smallville).
* As for your "Does Superman need to be Berated and treated as goof/idiot/wimp for some sort of masochistic perverse need to be abused?" quote, he doesn't feel any of those things. In the Christopher Reeve movies, for example, when Lois would act like he was a nerd, Clark would smile knowingly, like "If you only knew" when she wasn't looking.
Superman could get any woman he wanted. As Clark, he has to work to get Lois. He would know she wanted to be with him for who he is as a man, not for what he can do as a Superman. He knows that if she can love him even as the nerdy, bumbling Clark Kent, then she truly loves him. That is one of the most basic tenets of the Superman/Lois Lane/Clark Kent relationship.
* And finally, as for your "'If Clark acts over the top, and draws attention to himself acting very unnatural, then people with think "what’s wrong with him or is he hiding something?'" statement:
1. When you see a guy who is nerdy or bumbling, do you assume they are hiding something? Do you assume they are secretly a police officer or a professional athlete?
2. You say that no one would assume that Superman had a secret identity. So what would it matter if he was nerdy and bumbling? No one would figure it out anyway.
3. If someone did say, "I think Superman might have a secret identity," they are going to knock off the nerdy, bumbling guys off the list -- just like they did in Superman Returns.