The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Misc. Superman Films

Old 05-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #176
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

edited by me.

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks

Last edited by Mostpowerful; 05-04-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #177
Dr. Fate
Banned User

Iron Man is a far better film than the Superman films can ever hope to aspire to.

Dr. Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:07 AM   #178
SFII
Banned User

i like Superman 2 better than Superman 1.

SFII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #179
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fate View Post
Iron Man is a far better film than the Superman films can ever hope to aspire to.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #180
Mr. Socko
Side-Kick

I love this movie to death. Saw it two days ago for the first time in years and it was so much fun, great from beginning to end. I have a single problem with the movie and it is Otis, he offered too much camp to the film. I still consider this the greatest superhero movie. Thank you Chris Reeve, Richard Donner, John Williams, and a host of others.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #181
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I know. It's 'the hype.'

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #182
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

While I acknowledge the films influence on practically EVERY comic book since, and also have respect for the likes of Reeve, Kidder, and, to a lesser extent, Hackman, I simply cannot agree that this is the best superhero movie ever.

The movie has so much cheese and at the same time so little tension or emotion I find it very hard to 'get into' so to speak. Its still a good movie, but mainly because of the performances with what they were given, and IMO, it has been surpassed at least more than 15 times.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #183
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

I partly agree with you, AVEITWITHJAMON. I think Superman II made up for many of STM's flaws... which is strange, because much of the two were filmed simultaneously. I guess it comes down to Superman going through a phase of love/selfishness while three villain Kryptonians threaten the earth. If that's not tension, nothing is.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #184
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I've got to be honest I dont find Superman II all that great either, again, good for its time, and has definately had an influence on subsequent CB movies, but neither have stood the test of time for me personally.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 12-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #185
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Superman: TheMovie, is still the greatest comic book film ever made in my opinion. Nothing will ever top it for me, Dark Knight is a close second.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #186
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind_fury View Post
My favorite movie of all time!
Mine too

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #187
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Watching TDK last night it just pointed out how corny and out-dated S:TM really is to me now. I said above it no influenced practically EVERY CB movie out since the re-start of the boom in some way, but IMO, modern film-makers for the most part have taken the excellent foundations laid down in STM and made better movies that resonate a lot more.

One big problem for me with STM is the lack of emotion in it, Johnathan's death didnt have half the power or sadness that it should have, and must have taken up a total of about 6 mins screen-time. Compared to many of the important death scene's of today which tend to contain a lot of emotion and sadness, it just doesnt resonate anymore.

Saying that though I think a lot of the movie does still stand up today and the nostalgia that it still must bring to some people's lives like the likes of The Terminator, Indiana Jones, BTTF and Star Wars pictures do for me. I just feel these movies still have a relevance and seriousness to them today that STM doesnt thats why STM as a movie suffers in todays climate.

Its still great considering the time it was made, but it has been surpassed many times over now for me personally.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #188
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON
One big problem for me with STM is the lack of emotion in it, Johnathan's death didnt have half the power or sadness that it should have, and must have taken up a total of about 6 mins screen-time. Compared to many of the important death scene's of today which tend to contain a lot of emotion and sadness, it just doesnt resonate anymore.
Couldn't disagree more STM is chock full of emotional moments.
Including Johnathan's death.
If you feel that the length of film time lessens impact, consider that the conversation between Johnathan and Clark as they walk towards the farmhouse is part of that scene.
Lois' death unemotional???

Old 12-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #189
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Couldn't disagree more STM is chock full of emotional moments.
Including Johnathan's death.
If you feel that the length of film time lessens impact, consider that the conversation between Johnathan and Clark as they walk towards the farmhouse is part of that scene.
Lois' death unemotional???
I know that the talk between Johnathan and Clark was part of the scene, but i just found the whole thing emotionless, and I didnt find Lois' emotional, because, despite the excellent acting by Reeve, you knew she wouldnt stay dead.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #190
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I know that the talk between Johnathan and Clark was part of the scene, but i just found the whole thing emotionless, and I didnt find Lois' emotional, because, despite the excellent acting by Reeve, you knew she wouldnt stay dead.
My man, under that logic no superhero movie could ever be emotional since we all know the hero wins in the end.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #191
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

We can't really say Batman "won" at the end of TDK. And no, he doesn't have any powers like Superman, but for all intents and purposes, he's a super hero.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #192
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
We can't really say Batman "won" at the end of TDK. And no, he doesn't have any powers like Superman, but for all intents and purposes, he's a super hero.
Batman achieved to keep his ideals up. He won in that sense. He didn't kill and he wasn't killed.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #193
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

In that sense. Remember that Rachel died, and he was left a fugitive on the run, with The Joker left to a broken system.

I wonder what S:TM and its sequel would've been like if Superman weren't so astronomically powerful, and there was no way of bringing Lois back... interesting to think about.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #194
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
In that sense. Remember that Rachel died, and he was left a fugitive on the run, with The Joker left to a broken system.
Yeah, more things can happen in the future. But Joker couldn't corrupt the hero or Gothamites on the ferries.

Quote:
I wonder what S:TM and its sequel would've been like if Superman weren't so astronomically powerful, and there was no way of bringing Lois back... interesting to think about.
That's why I love SR.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #195
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
My man, under that logic no superhero movie could ever be emotional since we all know the hero wins in the end.
Not necessarily, and what makes other movies so good is that despite the fact you know what is going to happen, it gets your emotions going, case in point SR and X2, particularly the last one, I KNEW Jean wasnt dead at the end, yet the brilliant direction still made me feel as if she had.

Last edited by AVEITWITHJAMON; 12-18-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #196
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
Simple as that. And I think if you asked Sam Raimi or Bryan Singer, they'd agree.

That's your opinion.

It's a great movie, dont get me wrong, but the best? I think not. And that, of course, is just my opinion. I feel the films biggest flaw is Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor. I didnt care for how he was handled. And then of course, you throw in the dumbass henchman and henchwoman, and it gets even worse.

But I loved the Krypton origin, Smallville, the introduction to everyone in the Daily Planet, Reeve's act as Superman and his different act as Clark Kent. All that stuff. Hackman tarnishes the film for me.

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #197
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^For me its not just Hackman, the film itself, and Superman himself for that matter, are just too corny for me in this day and age. I still enjoy the movie, and dont doubt its influence on EVERY cb movie and even some CB's since. But, yeah, its no wear near the top for me in terms of CB movies.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #198
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Wow. Totally disagree with you there. I find S:TM to be an incredibly moving film for the most part. Yeah, there's some real cheese, but Pa Kent's death and funeral coupled with Lois' death (a scene made immortal simply because of Reeve's "No no no no no no AAAAHHHH!") make see sit and watch with my mouth open every time.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #199
afan
Side-Kick

^Amen.
Just watched the Lois' death scene, I still feel Superman's pain.

Reeve's performance as he carefully lifts Lois out of the car, brushing the dirt of her face and hair, the tender kiss on her lifeless lips, the affectionate cradling of her her head as he lowers her to the ground, the soundtrack, the camera angles and shots, The sobbing, "No, No, NO"........culminating with his angry leap into the air, adds up to one of the most emotional scenes on film let alone limiting it to a comic book films.

Just to add that Jonathan's death is tied to Lois', as Superman is torn by the warning of Jor-el never to intefere in Earth history, the words of Jonathan just prior to his death and Clark's self recriminations that, "all those things I can do all those powers and I couldn't save him."

Last edited by afan; 12-24-2008 at 07:49 AM.
afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #200
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:
That's why I love SR.
What does that have to do with SR?