The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #26
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,677
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue trooper View Post
That was the initial thought when the funding for Donner's Superman was being done.
We aren't talking about Superman here. We are talking about a property who had a big movie done in the 1990's and it flopped. Superman is one of the most iconic characters of all time. He's a household name. The Phantom is not.

Quote:
Batman Begins? Incredible Hulk? Casino Royale?
Erroneous. Erroneous. Erroneous.

Don't make me laugh with your HORRIBLE Casino Royale example. I hated Die Another Day. But guess what? The movie still made a ton of money. I think it made about $160 million US and even more worldwide. That's pretty good for a Bond movie. I'm glad they rebooted it, but we are not talking about Phantom situation here. James Bond is a world-renowned popular character. Bond has and always will have popularity and recognition that the Phantom doesn't.

Same with Batman. The Incredible Hulk was hardly a home run out of the park for a reboot since it did comparable business to Hulk 2003, and Marvel isn't serious about doing sequels to the Incredible Hulk right now.

Start with some valid, legitimate examples. Which none of the above are not.

Quote:
Simple. What works in comics does not always translate as well on screen. Hence, changes are needed. Example; Batman's suit in BB & TDK, Wolverine's suit on X-Men films, and Night Owl, Ozymandias and Silk Spectre's costume changes in Watchmen. And there's also the "arguably" appropriate costume changes of Daredevil and The Spirit.
Batman there's a precedence for establishing Batman using a high tech suit and armor. Jim Lee once did a diagram showing how Batman's armor works on the interior of his suit. Even the booby traps in the Bat mask were done in the pages of Batman comics during the Hush storyline years before the Nolans used it in Dark Knight.

My simple point about the costume is that Boyle's not really given a good idea what they would change about the costume. He speaks so much about loving and respecting the material, but the Phantom has never been a high tech gadget type of character really.

Watchmen costumes were altered, but they are still very colorful and comic-booky.

Spider-man's movie costume they settled on a costume that was closer to the classic design instead of Alex Ross' more modern, sleeker design.

Just saying, for a character like Phantom, Boyle didn't really get across how you change his costume and make it work. The X-men have constantly been through various costume changes for years and years. By today's standards their original uniforms were bland as heck and were two colors.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #27
Walker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
He's a household name. The Phantom is not.
Neither were Iron Man, Hellboy, Blade, The Crow, or even Daredevil before their movies came out.

It amazes me when so many people use the fact that the Phantom "isn't" a household name as the best reason for why a film based on him is doomed to flop. In Norway, where I live, nobody, and I mean NOBODY knew who Iron Man was. There have been, like, ten issues of that comic published throughout the years here. And yet, I read that close to 300.000 people went to see the movie, which is an enormous amount for a country with 4 million inhabitants. Kids didn't give **** about Tony Stark before his movie came out; now he's more famous than ever. Why? Because the film was very good, and presented something a big audience wanted to see. I see no reason that can't happen with a character like the Phantom, as long as the film is good, accessible and marketed well.

All of my friends go to watch comic book movies, yet most of them don't even know they were based on comics. If you told them about Wolverine's yellow costume, they'd look at you like you were from another planet.

Besides, the Phantom was at the top of his popularity read by a hundred million people every single day, a feat even Batman would struggle to match.

Quote:
Don't make me laugh with your HORRIBLE Casino Royale example. I hated Die Another Day. But guess what? The movie still made a ton of money. I think it made about $160 million US and even more worldwide. That's pretty good for a Bond movie. I'm glad they rebooted it, but we are not talking about Phantom situation here. James Bond is a world-renowned popular character. Bond has and always will have popularity and recognition that the Phantom doesn't.

Same with Batman. The Incredible Hulk was hardly a home run out of the park for a reboot since it did comparable business to Hulk 2003, and Marvel isn't serious about doing sequels to the Incredible Hulk right now.

Start with some valid, legitimate examples. Which none of the above are not.
His examples feels a lot more valid than your counter-arguments... What is your point exactly?

Quote:
My simple point about the costume is that Boyle's not really given a good idea what they would change about the costume. He speaks so much about loving and respecting the material, but the Phantom has never been a high tech gadget type of character really.
You are very wrong here, mate. Boyle never mentioned anything about gadgets; that comes straight from your own head. He even says in his blog that " He wont be 'heavily gadget man' (as that is another comic book hero named Batman)".

Besides, Boyle is at the moment just the writer. Since when did screenwriters start blabbing about what the costume will look like when the movie has barely been announced? That's a discussion he has to take with the costume designer, producers, etc., not the fans or the press.


Hey, Rogue, I'm at CC too, going by my real name, Paul Andreas.


Last edited by Walker; 12-23-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #28
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,677
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Neither were Iron Man, Hellboy, Blade, The Crow, or even Daredevil before their movies came out.


Iron Man didn't have the baggage of movie that flopped. Iron Man was a movie franchise made from scratch. Phantom is a bomb of a movie franchise they have to reboot.

Iron Man might not have been a household name, but he's at least recognizable and it had the aura of a summer super hero blockbuster like Spider-man.

Hellboy wasn't a rebooted franchise. Also, none of the Hellboy movies really made a lot of money. They are hardly huge hits. Hellboy 3's not exactly being lined up for the forseeable future.

Daredevil had a bunch of big movie stars attached, not a rebooted franchise.

The Crow was a dark, R-rated, atmospheric movie that wasn't marketed like a comic book super hero film. Also let's be real about something. The first movie made $50 million. That's very good for the budget, and its a very well made film, but a lot of that comes from the situation and tragedy for Brandon Lee which made it much more haunting. What happened after The Crow? A bunch of ****** bomb sequels and a horrible TV series. The Crow hardly became a big time movie franchise like Batman or Iron Man. I don't see why you would even bring this up.

Quote:
It amazes me when so many people use the fact that the Phantom "isn't" a household name as the best reason for why a film based on him is doomed to flop. In Norway, where I live, nobody, and I mean NOBODY knew who Iron Man was. There have been, like, ten issues of that comic published throughout the years here. And yet, I read that close to 300.000 people went to see the movie, which is an enormous amount for a country with 4 million inhabitants. Kids didn't give **** about Tony Stark before his movie came out; now he's more famous than ever. Why? Because the film was very good, and presented something a big audience wanted to see. I see no reason that can't happen with a character like the Phantom, as long as the film is good, accessible and marketed well.
It matters because THEY MADE A PHANTOM MOVIE ALREADY! It had a budget. It came out in 1996. IT BOMBED!

If you are going to tell me that the Marvel brand marketing doesn't matter, whatever. But when Batman Begins came out, even though it was a hit, it still had the stink of Batman and Robin on it. Even 8 years later, people were still tentative to give it a chance because of Batman and Robin. The numbers do not lie. The movie did not open huge. Begins was still able to successfully reboot the franchise and now Batman is one of the biggest movie franchises ever. But it still wouldn't exist without that recognition of Batman and the Joker. People get what Batman and the Joker is, that played a big part in the success of the movie. Joker and batman go together like ketchup and fries.

Quote:
All of my friends go to watch comic book movies, yet most of them don't even know they were based on comics. If you told them about Wolverine's yellow costume, they'd look at you like you were from another planet.
What would they say about the Phantom and if you told them a new one was being made?

Quote:
Besides, the Phantom was at the top of his popularity read by a hundred million people every single day, a feat even Batman would struggle to match.
The current Batman movie's that's out on DVD has made $1 billion in worldwide BO. Something a Phantom movie will never do.

Quote:
His examples feels a lot more valid than your counter-arguments... What is your point exactly?
His examples aren't relevant because none of those movies were coming off of something that was as big of a bomb or unsuccessful as The Phantom. Casino Royale was coming off of a Bond actor that was VERY popular despite the critical reception of the Brosnan films. Die Another Day still made a ton of money.
Quote:
You are very wrong here, mate. Boyle never mentioned anything about gadgets; that comes straight from your own head. He even says in his blog that " He wont be 'heavily gadget man' (as that is another comic book hero named Batman)".
OK but he's referenced the changes to the Batman costumes before. The other thing is, he says they need to change and update the costume. My point is he's not done a really good job of expressing how they would do that. If they aren't adding a ton of gadgets, how much can they truly change the costume? Are they going to put him in black rubber, leather, armor or what?
Quote:
Besides, Boyle is at the moment just the writer. Since when did screenwriters start blabbing about what the costume will look like when the movie has barely been announced? That's a discussion he has to take with the costume designer, producers, etc., not the fans or the press.
He already started talking about costume changes.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #29
rogue trooper
Side-Kick
 
rogue trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,525
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Quote:
We aren't talking about Superman here. We are talking about a property who had a big movie done in the 1990's and it flopped. Superman is one of the most iconic characters of all time. He's a household name. The Phantom is not.
You do know that the funding for Superman The Movie came from the Salkinds, who were producers from Europe, right? They bought the rights for Superman after seeing the success of the french version of Zorro with Alain Delon and their own Three Musketeers. At that particular time, the Superman comics' sales weren't doing too well, and to the mainstream Superman was still associated with the George Reeves show, which did not take itself seriously and was mainly for kids. The Salkinds were the ones who saw Superman as an epic film.

It's the same with this new Phantom project. The funding is coming from overseas, where the character is very popular.


Quote:
The Incredible Hulk was hardly a home run out of the park for a reboot since it did comparable business to Hulk 2003, and Marvel isn't serious about doing sequels to the Incredible Hulk right now.
The DVD sales of TIH were excellent and a sequel is being considered. People have seen the film, and they don't talk about how it performed at the box office, but how good a film it is.


Also, it's been 12 yrs. since the 1996 film. People can forget. The 1990 Captian America movie I'm sure won't be an obstacle for the new Cap film.

Quote:
My simple point about the costume is that Boyle's not really given a good idea what they would change about the costume. He speaks so much about loving and respecting the material, but the Phantom has never been a high tech gadget type of character really.

Just saying, for a character like Phantom, Boyle didn't really get across how you change his costume and make it work. The X-men have constantly been through various costume changes for years and years. By today's standards their original uniforms were bland as heck and were two colors.
He hasn't said anything about it being high tech, for one. He did give a basic and valid statement of how to approach the suit for film. He will eventually give more updates, I'm sure.


Last edited by rogue trooper; 12-23-2008 at 06:29 PM.
rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:13 PM   #30
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,677
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue trooper View Post
You do know that the funding for Superman The Movie came from the Salkinds, who were producers from Europe, right? They bought the rights for Superman after seeing the success of the french version of Zorro with Alain Delon and their own Three Musketeers. At that particular time, the Superman comics' sales weren't doing too well, and to the mainstream Superman was still associated with the George Reeves show, which did not take itself seriously and was mainly for kids. The Salkinds were the ones who saw Superman as an epic film.
Yeah I know all about the Salkinds. And I also know about Richard Lester.

I also know if they had their way the movie would've been a piece of **** if not for Richard Donner. Who they got rid of.

Also before that time, there had never been a theatrical Superman movie before. We aren't talking about a failed attempt at a movie beforehand. Not to mention, the Reeves show was very popular in its time.

Quote:
It's the same with this new Phantom project. The funding is coming from overseas, where the character is very popular.
Overseas the movie didn't do all that hot either.

Quote:
The DVD sales of TIH were excellent and a sequel is being considered. People have seen the film, and they don't talk about how it performed at the box office, but how good a film it is.
DVD sales for Hulk 2003 were also "excellent" but they still didn't make a sequel. You are drawing at straws here.

Kevin Feige all but said that Hulk's had his chance and they are doing other movies at the moment. There's no Hulk sequel lined up for the foreseeable future. Read between the lines.

Quote:
Also, it's been 12 yrs. since the 1996 film. People can forget. The 1990 Captian America movie I'm sure won't be an obstacle for the new Cap film.
People still remembered the stink of Batman and Robin when Batman Begins came out. I'm not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE to do. I'm just saying it's very hard to do. It was hard for Batman to do it, but it managed it ultimately. Hulk wasn't quite able to do it and far surpass the 2003 movie. But Phantom doesn't have circumstances of Batman. Like tons of toys, cartoons, ancillary markets, popular comics, and basically being a household name.

When Cap comes out Albert Pyun probably won't be a problem because in case you don't remember, the movie was never even released in theatres in America! So we aren't talking about something that was out and people had access to it like CINO.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #31
rogue trooper
Side-Kick
 
rogue trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,525
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Quote:
Yeah I know all about the Salkinds. And I also know about Richard Lester.

I also know if they had their way the movie would've been a piece of **** if not for Richard Donner. Who they got rid of.

Also before that time, there had never been a theatrical Superman movie before. We aren't talking about a failed attempt at a movie beforehand. Not to mention, the Reeves show was very popular in its time.
Look, what I'm getting at is that you're questioning the budget of the film. Right now superhero movies are in high demand. The Phantom is exremely popular overseas in Australia and in Scandinavia more than it is here. But it's still a bit popular here. The producers obviously believe that now is the right time for a Phantom film.


Quote:
People still remembered the stink of Batman and Robin when Batman Begins came out. I'm not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE to do. I'm just saying it's very hard to do. It was hard for Batman to do it, but it managed it ultimately. Hulk wasn't quite able to do it and far surpass the 2003 movie. But Phantom doesn't have circumstances of Batman. Like tons of toys, cartoons, ancillary markets, popular comics, and basically being a household name.
...yeah, but Batman & Robin was a very exposed piece of crap. The Phantom flopped because it had a poor marketing, since Paramount decided to focus more on Mission Impossible. The Phantom actually got some pretty decent reviews. Unlike B & R, alot of the fandom liked The Phantom. Both Siskel and Ebert praised it. The film is actually now seen as a cult classic.

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #32
Ultradude
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 37
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Well, first comparing the 1996 Phantom with Batman and Robin is not only invalid but almost a sacrilege. The Phantom was actually a good movie and quite fun and got some descent reviews. Besides it was very loyal to the character with very few exceptions. Batman and Robin was a travesty plain and simple.
Second the Phantom is a character which does have a lot of potential and the 1996 movie takes nothing away from it. Honestly, Batman being more known and all, B&R took more away from Batman Begins than the 1996 Phantom ever will from a new Phantom movie and Begins did just fine. It wasn't because Batman is well known. It was because it was a great movie. Batman's reputation couldn't save Batman and Robin. If the new Phantom is a great movie the fact the Phantom is not well known in the U.S. won't matter. I can bet that worldwide more people know the Phantom than they do Iron Man. It doesn't matter that Iron Man has not had a movie before. It did well because it was a great movie and that's all that matters.
The Phantom is a very interesting character with a lot of potential. The idea that it will be very hard to do a successful Phantom movie based on your opinion of how known he is or how good the 1996 movie did is not valid at all. Iron Man was not known and it did great. Superman is arguably the most famous superhero on earth and got beat by Iron Man. It's about the movie, the story and not about how well known the character is or if his prior movies have been hits or not. This is just not how it works. When a movie comes out people will see the trailer and if the trailer inspires confidence they will go see that movie. If thy like what they see they won't care for any prior movies as long as the one coming out looks good. Look at Terminator Salvation. It will probably do good business even thought T3 sucked. The trailers look good.
About your question why would anybody want to invest $87 million in a Phantom movie, much more has been invested in more crappy and less known superheroes and comic book characters.
Having said that, as with any superhero movie we need a visionary director to bring this to life. If they get any hack to direct this it will probably tank like so many other superhero movies did for the same reasons.


Last edited by Ultradude; 12-23-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Ultradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #33
Walker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue trooper View Post
...yeah, but Batman & Robin was a very exposed piece of crap. The Phantom flopped because it had a poor marketing, since Paramount decided to focus more on Mission Impossible. The Phantom actually got some pretty decent reviews. Unlike B & R, alot of the fandom liked The Phantom. Both Siskel and Ebert praised it. The film is actually now seen as a cult classic.
The film has also done great business on DVD and VHS, enough that some months ago, there were rumours that Paramount had bought back the rights to the character to make a sequel with Zane returning.


Quote:
The current Batman movie's that's out on DVD has made $1 billion in worldwide BO. Something a Phantom movie will never do.
Who says it would?
Not even Superman can do that big business, it would be very unrealistic to think the Phantom could. That doesn't mean it can't be a profitable film that will spawn a sequel. Remember, it's being made in a country where the character is HUGE. Even the Zane film was a success in Australia.

I get your reboot points, but I don't think they've ever really been proven, perhaps excluding Punisher: War Zone... Incredible Hulk was made for a lot more money than the Phantom is expected to cost, and WAS a very popular film. If they'd spent less on it, we'd have seen a sequel announced soon, I'm sure (Superman Returns suffered from the same problem).

Quote:
What would they say about the Phantom and if you told them a new one was being made?
They'd know very well it is a comic. The Phantom is more famous than Batman, Superman and Spider-Man combined over here. He's an icon in my part of the world.


Quote:
OK but he's referenced the changes to the Batman costumes before. The other thing is, he says they need to change and update the costume. My point is he's not done a really good job of expressing how they would do that. If they aren't adding a ton of gadgets, how much can they truly change the costume? Are they going to put him in black rubber, leather, armor or what?
I'd imagine we'll get a darker purple, or possibly gray, as Falk originally described the costume. Way too early to tell, though, but I am hopeful it won't be a "muscle suit".

Ultradude:
Quote:
Well, first comparing the 1996 Phantom with Batman and Robin is not only invalid but almost a sacrilege. The Phantom was actually a good movie and quite fun and got some descent reviews. Besides it was very loyal to the character with very few exceptions. Batman and Robin was a travesty plain and simple.
Second the Phantom is a character which does have a lot of potential and the 1996 movie takes nothing away from it. Honestly, Batman being more known and all, B&R took more away from Batman Begins than the 1996 Phantom ever will from a new Phantom movie and Begins did just fine. It wasn't because Batman is well known. It was because it was a great movie. Batman's reputation couldn't save Batman and Robin. If the new Phantom is a great movie the fact the Phantom is not well known in the U.S. won't matter. I can bet that worldwide more people know the Phantom than they do Iron Man. It doesn't matter that Iron Man has not had a movie before. It did well because it was a great movie and that's all that matters.
The Phantom is a very interesting character with a lot of potential. The idea that it will be very hard to do a successful Phantom movie based on your opinion of how known he is or how good the 1996 movie did is not valid at all. Iron Man was not known and it did great. Superman is arguably the most famous superhero on earth and got beat by Iron Man. It's about the movie, the story and not about how well known the character is or if his prior movies have been hits or not. This is just not how it works. When a movie comes out people will see the trailer and if the trailer inspires confidence they will go see that movie. If thy like what they see they won't care for any prior movies as long as the one coming out looks good. Look at Terminator Salvation. It will probably do good business even thought T3 sucked. The trailers look good.
About your question why would anybody want to invest $87 million in a Phantom movie, much more has been invested in more crappy and less known superheroes and comic book characters.
Having said that, as with any superhero movie we need a visionary director to bring this to life. If they get any hack to direct this it will probably tank like so many other superhero movies did for the same reasons.
Agree with every word. Well said.

I'm not sure if Boyle is the "visionary" we need, simply because I've never seen any of his films. However, his latest flick, The Plex, got really good reviews and was released nationwide in Australia (that's what I read anyway) despite having a budget of about 30 000 bucks. They're also making a TV-series spin off from it, so I think that is quite promising.

Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #34
Walker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

I wrote an article for ChronicleChamber.com about what I think is important for a Phantom film. It's very much tounge-in-cheek, but there is a serious message there:

http://cctalkingdrums.blogspot.com/2...r-phantom.html

Hope some will read it.

Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #35
rogue trooper
Side-Kick
 
rogue trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,525
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

They're all very good suggestions.

Still, I can see some people will probably tell you that you forgot to add a 45th suggestion. "Keep Frank Miller away" or something like that. LOL! Well, I liked The Spirit(sue me), but yeah, I don't think The Phantom would be for him. Besides, he's already busy with Buck Rogers.

Also, if Sam Worthington is going to do this, I guess they're going to have to wait for him to finish Clash of The Titans. How long till' that movie begins production, I wonder.


Last edited by rogue trooper; 12-29-2008 at 08:06 PM.
rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #36
Walker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Thanks, mate, glad you liked it.

Spirit hasn't premiered over here yet (not sure if it will when I see how bad it's doing in the US), so I can't comment on it, but the first trailer was just awful. Then, the marketing got a bit better, and I think it looks like an OK movie. Spirit is probably the hardest costume hero to get right on the screen anyway, due to the varied nature of the stories. I look forward to getting the DVD anyway.

Sure would have liked to see Miller writing the Phantom as a one-shot, though. I'd love to see how he'd draw the Ghost Who Walks.

I hope Worthington could find time to do the film... He looks damn good for the role, but like you, I've been wondering if he's too busy. Also, he's got so many big franchise-friendly movies now that maybe he doesn't need another one!

What concerns me the most is who should play the 21st Phantom, who is after all "our" Phantom, and therefore the one closest to fan-hearts. Boyle says he should be in his fifties, according to the producers... I'm not sure who could fit that, but the often suggested Clive Owen would be spot on. So would Ray Stevenson, who I mention in my article. I guess they might want to go with an Aussie actor, though... Which leaves the obvious choices of Hugh Jackman and Russel Crowe.

Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #37
TwilightPro101
........
 
TwilightPro101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,042
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

I'm curious to see how this one develops.

TwilightPro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #38
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,818
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Purple armor.

Yayyy...

We'll see.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:25 AM   #39
Walker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Not sure if it'll even be purple... Boyle said the costume colour was "a secret", so we'll have to wait and see.

I won't have any problem with it not being purple... It looks way better in the dark blue version used in some parts of Europe and in the latest daily strips.

Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #40
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,818
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Color changing armor.

Yayyy...

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 AM   #41
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,613
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

I'm looking forward to the project, though I'm kinda...iffy on Boyle.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:52 AM   #42
Walker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Quote:
Color changing armor.

Yayyy...
Strictly speaking, Lee Falk originally described the costume as being grey on a few occasions in the strip when it was still only published in black and white... Colouring it purple was an error that happened when Falk was out of the US.

Not sure if I'd like to see it grey on the screen, though... Maybe "too Nolan-Batman".

Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #43
Ultradude
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 37
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

There's no reason purple couldn't work. Just need to make it dark enough. I mean, if blue and red worked for spiderman on screen and superman got to keep his undies in a 2006 made film, the Phantom could keep the purple.
Blue, no thanks. Too spiderman or superman like and it better not be black!
I'm also very very IFFY on Boyle. He has nothing that can prove he can pull it off and I went to his IMDB pages to try to find out more about him and got pretty scared with some of the comments about him and his movies. I hope they find the right director for this.

Ultradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #44
Walker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

I'm not sure if he's right for the film either, simply because I have never seen his previous work. However, his latest movie, The Plex, got some good reviews online, and I read they're possibly making a spin-off TV-show of it. I think he sounds like an enthusiastic fan of the character, and I think King Features' trust in him should count for something (at least I hope so!).
Also, keep in mind his previous films were basically all no-budget...
I have faith in the guy, and choose to remain optimistic.

The blue used for the costume in Scandinavia is usually much darker than the blue normally used for Spidey and Superman's costumes... A deep, dark blue, that looks a bit more believeable on somebody pretending to be a ghost than purple, I think. Then again, like you say, a dark purple could look great on screen. If people accept a red and yellow armour on Iron Man, I don't see why they could not accept a guy in a dark purple outfit.

Here are some nice examples of the blue costume (on some awesome covers from the Norwegian comic) for people to enjoy:

http://www.fantomet.org/cover_stort.php?id=907

http://www.fantomet.org/cover_stort.php?id=831

http://www.fantomet.org/cover_stort.php?id=817

http://www.fantomet.org/cover_stort.php?id=800

http://www.fantomet.org/cover_stort.php?id=548


Last edited by Walker; 01-03-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #45
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,818
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

A long, long time ago, I wrote a PHANTOM origin story that featured the first Phantom wearing gray, and all the others after him having their own color, until purple became the definitive color, as The Phantom became a sort of jungle "royalty".

I wouldn't mind seeing purple on film, if it's done tastefully, and maybe the hint that other Phantoms at some point wore gray, blue, etc

As long as he has the sweet striped briefs.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:06 AM   #46
Walker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

You wrote it as a script or a treatment or something? Anyway, I'd really like to read the thing.

The purple was explained well in Moonstone's retcon of the origin, also called "Legacy", where he was inspired by a jungle demon-god coloured purple (it kind of built upon what Falk already did, and took things a bit further).

Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #47
Ultradude
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 37
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Walker, those all look like spiderman blue to me. Besides the movie spiderman is really deep dark blue. The Phantom doesn't need blue.

Striped undies? Oh please no. Undies alone is already ridiculous on film, striped ones will be the nail on the coffin.

Ultradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #48
Walker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Agreed about the undies, I certainly didn't miss them in the Zane film. However, they can look OK when done a bit more subtle, like here:

http://phanworks.deviantart.com/art/...Devil-95403398


...and here:

http://phanworks.deviantart.com/art/...olour-91311038

I'd still probably prefer if they dropped them, though.

Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #49
Walker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

I recently posted a link to an article I wrote with several things I think is important (and some less important...) for a new movie. Well, Tim Boyle have now actually responded to every single point in it:

http://cctalkingdrums.blogspot.com/2...r-phantom.html

The guy really cares about what the fans think, which is fantastic.

Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #50
rogue trooper
Side-Kick
 
rogue trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,525
Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Very awesome of him!! I do wish he would have given a straight "Hell yeah. Absolutely" to the Ray Stevenson playing Phantom's father idea. Heh!

You know, it's really enlightning to hear that this project is being approached by being respectful to the source, after just having read that Warner Bros. wants to take Shazam along with Superman the Dark Knight dark route. (Sighs) I hope The Phantom is more on the lighter Iron Man tone.


Last edited by rogue trooper; 01-06-2009 at 11:52 AM.
rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.