6 10 8.93%
8 10 8.93%
9 1 0.89%
10 5 4.46%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #301
aka Kal el
Side-Kick

Th Cool Re: Okay, it is it. Let's post OUR opinions about the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I'm gonna get really really high before I go see it. Like that time I took LSD and rented Lost in Space.
Color me shocked! (LOL) just so you weren't Bogarting Miller's stash OMG this was dreadful! I always thought Miller was overrated. Granted DKR was not bad but the sequel was God awful! So was his B &R series.

Last edited by aka Kal el; 01-05-2009 at 02:59 PM.
aka Kal el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #302
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Okay, it is out. Let's post OUR opinions about the movie.

I Draw Dead People,

Just want to thank you for keeping the faith of Eisner and the Spirit alive. Its clear you don't hate the Spirit because you've proven your knowledge of the stories and love of the character.

I still hope some day that Gary Kurtz and Brad Bird can get like an animated do over.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #303
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

If it makes the people who hate it feel better it has only made 17.7mil in total and it had the worse drop of the hollyday weekend.

I draw dead people actually makes be feel bad when he talks about the film.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #304
Angelus_Darko
Derriere extraordinaire

Thanks to I Draw Dead People I read some Spirit comics before watching this. I finally saw it, first on a decent spanish CAM -Here in Mexico the movie doesn't have a release date yet- , but it was incomplete, so I got a crappy CAM and finished it.

I felt like it was raw, incomplete, like a cake that didn't spend enough time in the oven. There are moments in which you kinda feel the Spirit vibe, but suddenly it gets silenced by stupid stuff like the clones. I mean, damn, the clones named "Huevos Rancheros"...

Visually, it feels like a comic, but sometimes Miller looks like a young kid telling us "Lookie lookie, here's what I learned at Robert Rodriguez Film School!!", mashing up all the nice details that had their proper place in Sin City.

Angelus_Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #305
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDrawDeadPeople View Post
Denny Colt moping on rooftops about how his city is not only his "plaything" but, also his "mother"
He isn't moping. He loves his city. He's a guy protecting he's city.

Quote:
This film had moments of absolutely great potential, and those moments actually made me start to want to like the film, and then, suddenly, we're back to useless "Nazis are teh awesomeness" propoghanda
Miller uses Nazi imagery for villains to represent evil and give the fictional villains that touch of disturbing reality.

Quote:
or microscopic heads on jumping feet
Hilarious.

Quote:
or pointless lapdances
No, bellydances!

Quote:
or barrages of "Damn, damn, damn, damn".
"Is every damn women in this damn city out of her damn mind" got a big laugh from the audience at the theater I saw it at.

Quote:
I found one line that made me laugh out loud... and I agreed with it wholeheartedly.

Denny Colt looks at the camera and asks, "Is there a point to any of this?"

Best summary ever.
He looked at the Octopus and asked that. And it got a big laugh in my theater, too.

B i R D M A N
In theaters October 17th.

"Better Call Saul!"
On AMC in February.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 01-05-2009 at 07:42 PM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #306
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post
Miller uses Nazi imagery for villains to represent evil and give the fictional villains that touch of disturbing reality.
Talk about a cop out. It's pointless and this movie shows that. There's nothing "Extra evil" about The Octopus when he's dressed like a nazi. There's nothing disturbing about it and it was a petty and unoriginal attempt at showing how evil The Octopus is. Miller had to have gone "Hmm...he's not evil enough, i don't think. The audience won't understand. IVE GOT IT! I'LL DRESS HIM LIKE A NAZI!!! Then they'll see!!"

And it failed. It was comical, campy and stupid. The costume did not reinforce any of the menace you claim the Octopus had.

Quote:
Hilarious.
Uh...no. If it was funny, it immediately stopped when Frank Miller realized that the audience had to be too stupid to realize how weird it is and had to tell us over and over again.

Quote:
"Is every damn women in this damn city out of her damn mind" got a big laugh for the audience at the theater I saw it at.
And they don't know any better. By the end of this film, i never wanted to hear "Damn" ever again.

Quote:
He looked at the Octopus and asked that. And it got a big laugh in my theater, too.
Probably because it summed up their feelings exactly. I know it did with me.

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #307
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Manbat enough about your audience. I'm sick and tired of hearing about this mythical audience as if it's actually indicative of what a majority of people thought about the movie. Stop pretending the movie was a hit and well liked by audiences.

- CM Punk
Old 01-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #308
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

I'm not pretending it was a hit, but it really was well liked by some people, not just me.

B i R D M A N

"Better Call Saul!"
On AMC in February.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #309
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I'm sure it was. But you are pretending like YOUR AUDIENCE is like the mass consensus on the view of this movie.

Like, "my audience reacted this way, so this is how it must be."

- CM Punk
Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #310
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMist View Post
Talk about a cop out. It's pointless and this movie shows that. There's nothing "Extra evil" about The Octopus when he's dressed like a nazi. There's nothing disturbing about it and it was a petty and unoriginal attempt at showing how evil The Octopus is. Miller had to have gone "Hmm...he's not evil enough, i don't think. The audience won't understand. IVE GOT IT! I'LL DRESS HIM LIKE A NAZI!!! Then they'll see!!"

And it failed. It was comical, campy and stupid. The costume did not reinforce any of the menace you claim the Octopus had.
It worked for me.

Quote:
Uh...no. If it was funny, it immediately stopped when Frank Miller realized that the audience had to be too stupid to realize how weird it is and had to tell us over and over again.
Uh..yes, it was funny to me. It was not funny to you, fine, but don't shove your opinion down my throat. To you it sucked, to me it didn't. We agree to disagree.

Quote:
And they don't know any better. By the end of this film, i never wanted to hear "Damn" ever again.
I was actually tired of that line myself because I had heard it so many times on the trailers.

Quote:
Probably because it summed up their feelings exactly. I know it did with me.

It summed up my feelings about the Octopus' speech, but not about the movie itself.

B i R D M A N

"Better Call Saul!"
On AMC in February.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #311
IDrawDeadPeople
Side-Kick

Fine, Manbat... there are somewhere between 3 and ten people on earth who "got" the movie. You win. Hopefully the small lot of you can see the film enough times that it may actually retrieve 1/16th of its budget.

The rest of humanity thinks Miller made a ******* film for retards and are smart enough to not support it.

Glad you liked it. You've made that clear. The bulk of the rest of the denizens of earth, however, realize that Miller failed monumentally at everything he attempted to accomplish. Including huxtering people into wasting their money on seeing this idiocy... which they DID NOT. A 50% drop off in attendance in only the second week says something.

It says trailers resemble a film, and the trailers sound like garbage because they were written by a failure and people aren't interested in watching Frank Miller diddle himself while ****ting on other peoples' characters.

Your mythical audience loved it. Awesome. Lucky you that you were in the Lionsgate staff screening or with Miller's relatives or a theatre full of brain damaged drug addicts or whatever.

The rest of us saw it in theatres with single digit audiences that were not moved by Miller's "ahead of its time" brilliance, such as "You'll believe a man can't fly".

To the lovefest for me above, thanks guys. Glad I inspired you to read Eisner and see what joy the character of the Spirit has when written by someone who cares. It's a pity that this film is, instead, a monument to wasted potential.

IDrawDeadPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #312
IDrawDeadPeople
Side-Kick

double

Last edited by IDrawDeadPeople; 01-05-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #313
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I'm sure it was. But you are pretending like YOUR AUDIENCE is like the mass consensus on the view of this movie.

Like, "my audience reacted this way, so this is how it must be."
I'm not pretending the people that liked it are the mass consensus on the movie. I'm just stating that some people did actually enjoy it. I've stated that the movie is a box-office financial failure. That fact doesn't make me like the movie any less.

B i R D M A N

"Better Call Saul!"
On AMC in February.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #314
IDrawDeadPeople
Side-Kick

To modify my disgust to more properly convey my invective for Miller's little student film...

Eisner's approach versus Miller's lack of respect for his "mentor"...

Eisner spent the remaining years of his life, laboring to write and illustrate The Plot... a book that promoted the idea that anti-semitism is not something to be taken lightly. A cause very close to both Will and his wife was that anti-semitism is nothing to laugh at, a great example is in Miller's interview with Eisner, where Miller is making a 'funny' word picture about when kids carve swastikas into their desks, and Mrs. Eisner is recorded as not being quite thrilled with the example. But, who gives a crap what the Eisners were concerned about...? This is Frank G*d-D@mn Miller we're talking about here! His ideas are genius!

Miller spent the years after Eisner died using a dead Jewish man's characters to show how cool swastikas look and how "genius" it is to dress an African American man in the uniform of people who butchered anyone who did not fit their jaded idea of perfection.

The man who spent his final years working to produce this:

...Would NOT use his characters to create something as careless as what Miller paraded around on screen. It's beyond disrespectful.

Last edited by IDrawDeadPeople; 01-05-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #315
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Miller spent the years after Eisner died using a dead man's characters to show how cool swastikas look and how "genius" it is to dress an African American man in the uniform of people who butchered anyone who did not fit their jaded idea of perfection.
That African American man choose to wear the uniform of people who butchered anyone who did not fit their jaded idea of perfection. "It’s not often you see a brother with a Nazi uniform," said Samuel L. Jackson. If you think swastikas are cool, you are wrongheaded.

B i R D M A N

"Better Call Saul!"
On AMC in February.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #316
Duneboy
......incognito

Lol, I "got" the movie but can't say I really expected a lot out of it. W/ it's cloudy dialogue & equally muddled storyline, this is an indie art house flick w/ a mainstream budget behind it. I saw people leaving the theatre but it's only because they're popcorn film mentality couldn't make out Miller's surreal take on the pulp icon. I wasn't in love w/ the movie but I didn't hate it either. I get what Frank was trying to do but if your not familiar w/ his work, Eisner's, or art & comics in general, you simply won't wanna get it.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #317
IDrawDeadPeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
That African American man choose to wear the uniform of people who butchered anyone who did not fit their jaded idea of perfection. "Itís not often you see a brother with a Nazi uniform," said Samuel L. Jackson. If you think swastikas are cool, you are wrongheaded.

I'm sure Jackson was quite familiar with Will Eisner AND his campaign against anti-semitism.

Miller talked him into the character and he went with it.

It's Miller who knew he was being a self indulgent ****sucker at the expense of his supposed "friend".

There is nothing funny, whatsoever, about Nazism. Unless Frank Miller tells me it's ok to laugh.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #318
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneboy View Post
this is an indie art house flick w/ a mainstream budget behind it.
Right.

Quote:
I saw people leaving the theatre but it's only because they're popcorn film mentality couldn't make out Miller's surreal take on the pulp icon.
Exactly.

Quote:
I get what Frank was trying to do but if your not familiar w/ his work, Eisner's, or art & comics in general, you simply won't wanna get it.
True, and I'm glad you got it.

B i R D M A N

"Better Call Saul!"
On AMC in February.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #319
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Haha, oh man this is priceless.

First, the film was a sure bet to attract the general audience. Then it tanked and it was blamed on people being brainwashed by a plethora of bad reviews into not seeing it. NOW it's because the film is a art-film that is beyond the simple-mindedness of the general movie goer, thus being the reason why it failed.

Gimme a break. There was nothing "artsy" about this film. Hell, there was nothing pretentious about this film to warrant being called "artsy", good or bad. As i said in a previous post, labeling this film an "art-house" film or "avant-garde" is just a sign of pretentious people who think they're above everyone else. Not to mention, calling this film an "art house" film or "avant-garde" completely undermines the whole concept of this movie. Miller didn't set out to make that kind of a film. He set out to make a straight-forward film based on Eisner's work utilizing the techniques he picked up from Robert Rodriguez.

If you liked the film, GREAT. I'm glad you had a good time. But don't try to sugar-coat it and demean all the people who didn't by intellectualizing the film and raising it to a status that is in fact isn't, and never tried to be to begin with.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #320
IDrawDeadPeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Haha, oh man this is priceless.

First, the film was a sure bet to attract the general audience. Then it tanked and it was blamed on people being brainwashed by a plethora of bad reviews into not seeing it. NOW it's because the film is a art-film that is beyond the simple-mindedness of the general movie goer, thus being the reason why it failed.

Gimme a break. There was nothing "artsy" about this film. Hell, there was nothing pretentious about this film to warrant being called "artsy", good or bad. As i said in a previous post, labeling this film an "art-house" film or "avant-garde" is just a sign of pretentious people who think they're above everyone else. Not to mention, calling this film an "art house" film or "avant-garde" completely undermines the whole concept of this movie. Miller didn't set out to make that kind of a film. He set out to make a straight-forward film based on Eisner's work utilizing the techniques he picked up from Robert Rodriguez.

If you liked the film, GREAT. I'm glad you had a good time. But don't try to sugar-coat it and demean all the people who didn't by intellectualizing the film and raising it to a status that is in fact isn't, and never tried to be to begin with.

Apparently, you're one of the millions who just don't get what Miller was trying to do. Uncultured neanderthal.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #321
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Apparently, you're one of the millions who just don't get what Miller was trying to do. Uncultured neanderthal.
Them be fighting words, BARBARIAN SLOTH!!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #322
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Miller talked him into the character and he went with it.
No, Sam co-created his version of the character. "We decided to put him out there everyday in a different costume. I was just so happy to be on that set wearing those costumes," Samuel L. Jackson says. "It was quite an honor to actually walk into a situation and put flesh and blood to a character that's going to endure, and I thank Frank for the opportunity. He gave me license to be pretty much as demented and ingenious as I wanted to be. I sort of took that as my license to do all the things I've ever wanted to do in a film and chew up as much scenery as I felt like chewing, and not be criticized for it. I'd run in there and go "Frank!" and he'd just say, "I love it!" So then I'd be back in the trailer and think, "Well, I'm wearing a Nazi outfit, I should have lightning bolt eyebrows," so I'd put those on and go "Frank!" and he'd go, "I love it!" So from that point on it was just me running and doing as much as I could to myself, even down to the eyebrows."

Quote:
There is nothing funny, whatsoever, about Nazism. Unless Frank Miller tells me it's ok to laugh.
It's suppose to be disturbing, not funny. If it disturbed you, good. That's the intended reaction.

B i R D M A N

"Better Call Saul!"
On AMC in February.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #323
IDrawDeadPeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Them be fighting words, BARBARIAN SLOTH!!
Perhaps you would have understood this fine piece of art theatre if you had bothered to partake of an overpriced, slightly stale scone and some Earl Grey while imbibing the cinematic brilliance projected on the screen before you.

You should attempt to view the film in such a manner. It really does bring the vibrancy and subtle urgency of Miller's deep, rich, textural message to life.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #324
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Perhaps you would have understood this fine piece of art theatre if you had bothered to partake of an overpriced, slightly stale scone and some Earl Grey while imbibing the cinematic brilliance projected on the screen before you.

You should attempt to view the film in such a manner. It really does bring the vibrancy and subtle urgency of Miller's deep, rich, textural message to life.

Maybe we should just go read the companion guide. Apparently everything Miller really intended to show on screen is explained for us there.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #325
IDrawDeadPeople
Side-Kick

I know everything I need to simply by watching the film.

Let's see...

"Frank Miller's film is as dead as Star Trek".

"Frank Miller has egg on his face".

"Frank Miller directed this film all kinds of bad".

"Every damn person in this damn movie says damn all the damn time because there isn't a damn script".

There really are so many applicable lines to choose from...